Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2016, 10:30   #121
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Got some stuff for the oncoming Leh Trip starting 27-08-2016

Our Itinerary

Received this Rynox Tank/Tail/Backpack Bag from outdoorgear.com. They ship for free unlike Rynox directly.
I really appreciate your patience Dheeraj'ji. You share so much of valuable info through your posts that I keep coming back each day to checkout for something new in your thread.

Just a quick question. You have strapped the tail bag to the back mud guard's end (Plastic portion). On bumpy terrains, will the plastic bit endure the stress. I somehow felt that piece not strong enough.

And all the best to your Leh trip. I can feel how excited you would be now. I am taking my annual vacation next couple of weeks. Planning to do some short rides and I am super excited about that.

On a separate note, after the rear discs warm up (usually after I reach home from office) my rear discs squeal a bit when I roll the bike to park. When I roll the rear wheel with the bike on central stand the brake seems to engage a bit at one point. But when the disc is cold, I dont hear the squeal nor do does the brake pads touch the disc at any point. Is this normal or should I have it adjusted?
Jude300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 10:42   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post
I really appreciate your patience

Just a quick question. You have strapped the tail bag to the back mud guard's end (Plastic portion). On bumpy terrains, will the plastic bit endure the stress. I somehow felt that piece not strong enough.

And all the best to your Leh trip.

Is this normal or should I have it adjusted?
Thanks Jude300! Yeah, it surely requires patience to post on public forums, but I realise that there are still so many of us looking for the right information. I was one at one time.

Will check out your suggestions. I had ordered ROK Straps just for this reason as additional backup.

You should definitely get the discs and pads checked. There might be some stuck debris in their. It is definitely not normal.

Cheers...
Old 11th August 2016, 11:10   #123
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer

Ah fantastic Stuff Dhiraj, was wondering that you were up to something since I did not see your posts on the forum. The drone is very interesting and i shall look forward to the videos shot by that.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 13:51   #124
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE on BOLT USB Charger

Do NOT use BOLT USB Charger and get stuck like me. I had ordered and posted review of this charger in this thread which looked very good on paper. They claim it is a 2Amp charger capable of fast charging. However the reality turned out quite different. The original unit took a very long time to increase my phone battery by just 1% for which I complained to them and they sent me a replacement top unit which I tested today. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and tested the new unit. That turned out to be worse giving me a warning on my phone of "Unsupported power adapter" (see screenshot attached).

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-bolt-charger-error.jpg

On contacting them and asking for a refund they refused and instead insisted that I return back their unit only to again get a replacement. Now how can I trust a hardware for my costly phones that had already failed twice!! Hence I refused and insisted on a refund plus return shipping cost, only of receipt of which I shall be returning back their 'junk'. Since I have to leave for Leh soon, I have now to buy a good and reliable replacement urgently and am stuck with this for no ryhme or reason. PLEASE ALL BE AWARE.

-----------------------
Received the stuff from Decathlon.in (bill already posted in previous posts). Great quality for the price and highly recommended.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-decathlon-stuff.jpg

Tested a folded YOGA MAT on the seat. Though it is looking a little odd right now, it will flatten out and take the curve of the seat. Supremely comfortable and anti-slip. Will get one in grey color to gel with the bike. Not to be missed. This can double as a nice spread when taking a break anywhere.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-yoga-mat-seat.jpg

Received these RE Waterproof Boot Covers today @1300/- in size L for my boot size 44. Made in China. Pretty decent quality. Double water protection at back with zipper and velcro. Plenty of straps to tighten according to your size. Only time will tell if they are actually practical to use in the wild.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-re-boot-cover_1.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-re-boot-cover_2.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-re-boot-cover_3.jpg

---------------------

Some beautiful Tso Moriri shots from a different perspective

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-tso-moriri_1.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-tso-moriri_2.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-tso-moriri_3.jpg

The night sky is to be seen to be believed

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-tso-moriri_4.jpg

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 15:15   #125
BHPian

That last picture, surreal.
batterylow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 17:22   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Since I have to leave for Leh soon, I have now to buy a good and reliable replacement urgently
All the best DKaile, hope you are travelling in some group ? One of my friends recently went on Himalayan and came mighty impressed with overall comfort & handling. He owns a Triumph Storm and there were some guys with him on Tigers. They did change bikes occasionally and unanimously praised Himalayan. Looking forward to your travelogue
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 17:25   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
All the best DKaile, hope you are travelling in some group ?
Thanks Turbanator. Yes, we are four guys on 2 Himalayans, 1 Iron 883 and a Street 750. Thanks for your best wishes. Will keep the thread updated.

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 20:15   #128
BHPian

Quote:

Do NOT use BOLT USB Charger and get stuck like me.

You may want to take a look at this one if you haven't already got a replacement. I have purchased for my Himalayan, which I am still awaiting delivery.
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/robo...r/672859694988
MadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 20:40   #129
BHPian

Quote:

Do NOT use BOLT USB Charger and get stuck like me. I had ordered and posted review of this charger in this thread which looked very good on paper. They claim it is a 2Amp charger capable of fast charging. However the reality turned out quite different. The original unit took a very long time to increase my phone battery by just 1% for which I complained to them and they sent me a replacement top unit which I tested today.
And I thought there was some issue in the way I had connected the charger. I am facing the same issue. It barely charges the phone. Money wasted . My mistake I installed it almost 7-8 months after I bought it. I least expect any response from those guys.
Old 16th August 2016, 21:46   #130
BHPian

I have been facing a strange problem in the Himalayan since 2 days. The steering has become heavy and the bike has become very unstable while turning. The straight line performance is normal, its only while turning the handle that its happening. The symptoms are very similar to when the front tyre pressure is low but the pressure is ok. Any help
ayon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 21:59   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayon View Post
I have been facing a strange problem in the Himalayan since 2 days. The steering has become heavy and the bike has become very unstable while turning. The straight line performance is normal, its only while turning the handle that its happening. The symptoms are very similar to when the front tyre pressure is low but the pressure is ok. Any help
Please check steering cone assembly. That is very likely to be the issue.
Old 16th August 2016, 22:27   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Please check steering cone assembly. That is very likely to be the issue.
I'm facing this issue too. Told it to the service centre guys and they loosened up the handle bar a little bit. Sadly didn't help.

Though any idea why they would damage so early? I saw a few posts on the Himalayan Owners Group too about people facing the exact same issue.
Old 16th August 2016, 23:08   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Poor steering is not fixed by loosening the handlebars or the steering head bearings.

It is usually caused by the steering head bearings being too loose or not adjusted to the proper amount of tension.

It is possible that the people who assembled the motorcycle did not "pre-load" the bearings correctly. If this is the case, and the bearings were not seated like they should be, the bearings may have been fine until the motorcycle had been ridden some distance.
Then, after being subjected to some "real world" road shock, the bearings moved and "loosened up" causing the problem.

(As a side note to this, there are two steering head bearings. One at the top of the yoke and one at the bottom. They must be throughout seated in the steering head and then adjusted to the proper running load.

When the steering head bearings are replaced in the current Classic and similar models, the procedure is to first torque the top nut to 70-80 NM (52-60 lb/ft) to seat the bearings. Then, the nut is fully loosened and re-tightened to a torque of 2-4 NM (1.5-3 lb/ft) which is the torque needed for riding the motorcycle.

These values may be different for the Himalayan so please do not try to use them to adjust one of these motorcycles. )

I suggest that all of you who are having this handling difficulty need to contact Royal Enfield directly and inform them of the problem.

This will serve two purposes.
First, Royal Enfield can send out information telling dealers to pay special attention to verifying the steering head torque is correct.

Second, if there is a design problem they need to know about it as soon as possible so they can evaluate it and make the necessary revisions if needed.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 10:10   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maker_of_things View Post
I'm facing this issue too. Told it to the service centre guys and they loosened up the handle bar a little bit. Sadly didn't help.

Though any idea why they would damage so early? I saw a few posts on the Himalayan Owners Group too about people facing the exact same issue.
It happens in bikes due to reasons listed out in detail by Arizona Jim above. Get the motorcycle checked by another service centre if possible. Or escalate the matter to Royal Enfield. This can happen to any brand, but if you're hearing so many issues, it's definitely some issue at the assembly and quality control levels.
Old 17th August 2016, 10:30   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers...
Mate,
For some reason I refrained from posting my comments on your thread when you mentioned on the BOLT USB Charger. Thought it might work since Himalayan is not a electro freak.

however I would still suggest you to buy the Chargeplus which is a bit pricey but will outlast your bike provided there are no falls.

http://www.amazon.in/RESONATE-Charge...inhydr18418-21

You get it in multiple options so feel free to make the desired purchase based on where you want to mount it.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks