Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2016, 12:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold

The best review of the Honda Activa thus far.
Nice colour too.

I am really surprised to know that the underseat storage cannot take a full face helmet.
And ridiculous
What were they thinking?
People riding the activa are supposed to wear only the half face helmet?

On a side note,good to know that you will soon be getting a thunderbird
ecosport rules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 11:38   #17
BANNED

Thanks for the good write up and pictures.
I did a couple of things as soon as I got my 125.
  1. Added an extra horn. Now it sounds like a Pulsar double horn.
  2. Replaced original oil at 100 km with shell synthetic oil. Engine feels smooth as silk.
  3. DID NOT put steel railings as many do. I trust my riding ability to avoid scratches and dents.
  • Used a sticker type front number. No drilling or hanging metal sheets. It's more elegant.
  • Searched a bit and found a studd half face helmet that fits fully in its storage.

The 12" front wheel vs 10" rear is not unusual. People with RX 100's and 135's fixed yezdi 16" wheels for added comfort and handling.
In the activa 125 the harder suspension and bigger front wheel make the scooter a great handler.

I never gave my scooter to the company center. They get 50-60 scooters daily and employ 10 workers. No way they'll do a decent job. It's just rinse, shine and bill the customer. I use my local mechanic. 800 per Sevice. Total attention to every problem.

W.r.t. the initial juddering - you must use the full choke while starting. Keep at quarter choke for half km. The roughness disappears when the engine heats up to its normal ops. temp.

Last edited by hangover : 27th June 2016 at 11:55.
hangover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 11:45   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How did this happen a.k.a The "Need to get one"?!

Congrats Anurag. Excellent review. Good choice and from what I have heard about Honda Dealers, a reasonably ok experience.

It is quite mind boggling to see that this single scooter sells over 2.25 Lakh copies a month and is now the undisputed number one after a brief fight with the Splendor.

All the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Importance of two-wheeler at every home:

On the 1st May, when I had a day-off, Dad came up and asked me why not get a two-wheeler as taking the car everywhere sounded too silly especially for a kilometer distance. I jumped in joy listening to dad when he asked me to go shopping but that was a short-lived one.

Reason for my joy fading off: I was asked to look ONLY at a scooter and NOT a Bike again. I was . All my joy lost in a second post his decision of getting a scooter ONLY.

With dad being firm on his decision, I couldn’t do anything to budge him so had to compromise for getting a scooter for home duty so that it can be used by all at home which isn’t the case if I get a bike. In one way if seen logically, it is correct and as usual I am busy at work so the Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 that is what I was aspiring to buy post Karizma's sale too would gather dust.
Totally agree with you on this. Fortunately at this point I have both a Pulsar 200NS and a TVS Wego. Since I now mostly rely on Public Transport for my regular office commute, the running of both the bike and scooter has come down. Just yesterday had this conversation with my wife after a weekend outing in the car.

W: You should sell both the bike and scooter. You go to office by bus and weekends we anyway take the car.

Me: Having a Two Wheeler at home is important. For that short runs close by. I cannot take the car to places where there is no good parking.

W: Then keep the scooter and sell the bike.

Me: I love a powerful bike. Where ever I need to go alone, I go in bike. Not comfortable with the scooter in areas where traffic moves fast.

W: Ok then sell the scooter.

Me: No, a bike cannot match the convenience and luggage carrying capacity of a scooter. More comfortable to ride pillion too.

..and there it stands deadlocked. Not sure how much longer I can hold out.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 12:25   #19
BHPian

Congrats for the new scooter. I too own an Activa 125 (black) since almost two years. Its pretty good vehicle for those short errands. I had used it for my office commutes until the car came in.
Wifey thinks it is too heavy for her and I feel it is under powered (compared to RE !). Nevertheless, it still is our commute workhorse on sunny days. No niggles so far albeit a cold start problem.
sudhirnam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 12:31   #20
BANNED

Nice review. I have been looking to replace my CBR 150 as the convenience part is missing in the bike. Eagerly waiting for Aprilia SR 150 / Honda PCX.

Aprilia SR 150 is expected in August 2016, not heard of PCX. Any idea?
NSK123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 12:55   #21
CGB
BHPian

Anurag,
Activa 125 is a beautiful vehicle with loads of practicality and has ample power to zip through the streets. Congratulations on your purchase.

Can you share the details of LED you purchased for tail lamps? For indicators, If you're using the LEDs, aren't they hyperflashing with the relay? Did you change the relay ?
CGB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 13:05   #22
BHPian

Congratulations for one of the best, detailed 2-wheeler reviews ever written on Team-BHP. A 5* plus ! Anybody reading your review will go to the store and buy one ! Real Rock-Stars, these Activas. Nobody in their wildest dreams could have imagined in the whole world that the scooter will make a comeback in this world again.

The Activa did it time and again, month after month, for past 10 months (if I am not wrong).

Excellent photography. I am sure both the past and present Owners will feel more proud of their possession. Some angles are really good and make the Activa a real Rock Star. Specially from low angle, look up- shots.

The Steel wheels really look good than those alloys. White looks dazzling and is 100% safer compared to any other colour. Last but not the least, why did you take the

1. Flasher relay

2. Inductive tachometer.

And by the way, after covering so many kilometers, do you find the front suspension better than the trailing link suspension . Thanks in advance and Congratulations , once more to you and your Beloved family for new Activa 125.

Mod Note : Kindly avoid typing in all caps.

Last edited by GTO : 28th June 2016 at 10:09. Reason: Poorly typed post
dr. sen is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 27th June 2016, 15:07   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I am not upgrading the rating per say! I have bought a pair of Osram Silverstar HS1 35/35W. It is better than OEM bulbs but there is a inherent problem of a horizontal shadow due to bad reflector design.
Why don't you try this
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-rallyhs1.jpg
Bought it from a local store for Rs. 185/. (MRP 199/.), for my unicorn.

Link

Last edited by sulivan : 27th June 2016 at 15:09. Reason: added link
sulivan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 17:03   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
Added an extra horn. Now it sounds like a Pulsar double horn.
Haha, I find the horn bad but dies the job IMO so I am leavng that aspect for an upgrade later.

Quote:
Replaced original oil at 100 km with shell synthetic oil. Engine feels smooth as silk.
I have postponed this to in the list when the odometer reaches 500 kms. Currently she is at 300 kms but won't be going for Synthetic oil.

Quote:
DID NOT put steel railings as many do. I trust my riding ability to avoid scratches and dents.
Exactly, I hate them and it spoils the looks plus I can't understand how it protects the scooter on a fall!!

Quote:
Used a sticker type front number. No drilling or hanging metal sheets. It's more elegant.
Honda now manufacture the front central panel with a steel frame where the number plate can be mounted so the headache of holes drilling is gone.

Quote:
Searched a bit and found a studd half face helmet that fits fully in its storage.
I have bought a Vega Helmet that can be used like a full face and a half face one. It has the front open-able.

Quote:
W.r.t. the initial juddering - you must use the full choke while starting. Keep at quarter choke for half km. The roughness disappears when the engine heats up to its normal ops. temp.
There is a judder when starting off from 0 kmph. It is there till may be 5 kmph post that it is smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Congrats Anurag. Excellent review. Good choice and from what I have heard about Honda Dealers, a reasonably ok experience.
Thanks Rajeev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
..and there it stands deadlocked. Not sure how much longer I can hold out.
I'll say let go off the bike and keep the scooter for all basic home need runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirnam View Post
Nevertheless, it still is our commute workhorse on sunny days. No niggles so far albeit a cold start problem.
The cold start issue is standard problem for Activa's I guess. I have faced it twice till now if the scooter is not used for a whole day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSK123 View Post
Aprilia SR 150 is expected in August 2016, not heard of PCX. Any idea?
No idea Sir, Honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post
Can you share the details of LED you purchased for tail lamps?
Here are the links:

1157 Brake Light - LED

BAU15s PY21W - Indicator LED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post
For indicators, If you're using the LEDs, aren't they hyperflashing with the relay? Did you change the relay?
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. sen View Post
Last but not the least, why did you take the

1. Flasher relay

2. Inductive tachometer.

And by the way, after covering so many kilometers, do you find the front suspension better than the trailing link suspension.
1. Flasher relay:

I have looked at replacing the indicators in my earlier bike (Karizma R) where the LED's didn't work on the OEM relay. It required a solid state relay for the LED's to function so in anticipation I bought the relay. When I plugged the LED bulb, it worked on the OEM relay. So the need to change the relay is not required so the relay I bought is a waste.

2. Inductive Tachometer

It will be helpful when setting the right idling on the scooter. I hate giving the scooter to the Honda mechanics. They'll ruin the tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulivan View Post
Why don't you try this
Thank you Sir for the suggestion. Do you have any before/After pictures?
Old 27th June 2016, 20:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I never gave my scooter to the company center. They get 50-60 scooters daily and employ 10 workers. No way they'll do a decent job. It's just rinse, shine and bill the customer. I use my local mechanic. 800 per Sevice. Total attention to every problem.
Totally agreed, I don't own a Activa, but this is the experience of most people who own it.

Also seriously bad is the attitude of sales staff.( it may vary from showroom to showroom )

This, outdated front suspension, smaller wheels - was the reason why I choose wego over activa back in 2012.

TVS is much superior all throughout as far as buying and service experience is concerned - i am talking about my personal experience in Pune and specifically Century Automobiles.

Does Honda expect people in India to hang their full size helmets outside?
Or do they want people to buy a helmet lock from their dealers?

Number plate must be an accessory in Honda isn't it? and also side stand?
Does it come fitted with one?

Amazing review Anurag, scooter looks really beautiful
I just hope Honda attitude changes, since it looks like they are taking customers for granted.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 20:52   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Number plate must be an accessory in Honda isn't it? and also side stand?
Does it come fitted with one?
Thank you Sir for the kind words.

Number plate and side stand are accessories only Rear view mirror and centre stand are stand fitment. Rest all are accessories.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 23:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

Nice detailed review. Scooter reviews are rare and its good to read it here.

I have been riding Honda scooters for quite some time now and had a fair share of falls and niggles (Two Activas, One Dio and a HH Pleasure ). Over the years I've started becoming lesser interested in Honda scooters and non geared scooters as such. Few tips :

- Don't over-inflate the front tyres, ever. They cause these scooters to skid easily on turns. Just make sure there is a slight bulge on the front tyre.
- Make sure the handle bar and fork assembly is tightened/greased at regular intervals. They get loosened after a few bumpy rides. All our Honda scooters have this problem
- Never ride them like bikes, scooter's dynamics are completely different.
- Once the free service coupons are used, you can do the oil change and air filter cleaning all by yourself and save some money (if you are a grease monkey ). These scooters don't require any major service except maybe the fork alignment and tightening.
- The side mirrors dont have any tightening screw like bikes. Few years later you will be needing Loctite adhesive to stop it from dangling or replace the entire unit. Its irritating why Honda cant give them, TVS Jupiter/Wego has it.
- Use the Kick often else it gets jammed ! Yes, Three of our scooters have replaced the kick spring. Service guy said you need to keep it using else one fine day you kick it and because its hard, some part of it gets damaged

The new HET engines have reduced the cold start problem to a great extent, so that should not be a worry for now. Keep the scooter operating every alternate day and you should be good.
The initial judder is something I too have experienced in our new Dio and new Honda Activa engines with HET technology, they are a little throaty. But don't worry it goes away after some time. Dio's running is around 7K and Activa around 19K, while Dios intial judder is still there the Activa's is completely gone. The Pleasure, the oldest one of the lot, is the smoothest of all.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 11:12   #28
BHPian

Anurag, congrats on the Activa! Looks a smasher in white.
Please however do remove the Raam Honda sticker from the headlight, it looks quite ugly. (Am pretty sure, they arent doing any good to your headlight woes either).

Also, remember to carry along a stamped and signed pricelist when you go to the RTA for permanent registration. This wasn't mentioned as part of the list of documents, and I had to run around dealers to get the pricelist when I went for my registration a couple of weeks back.
Obviously, remember to carry along a pen and the draft for the 5% scooter value (in case this is a second vehicle).
nishsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 12:37   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post

Also, remember to carry along a stamped and signed pricelist when you go to the RTA for permanent registration
What is this buddy? Which RTA did you visit? Isn't the whole process taken care by their Broker at the RTA?

This is a first vehicle hence 9% tax.
Old 28th June 2016, 13:02   #30
BHPian

Quote:
What is this buddy? Which RTA did you visit? Isn't the whole process taken care by their Broker at the RTA?

This is a first vehicle hence 9% tax.
I did my registration at RTO Kondapur. My Honda dealer told me that the broker will charge an additional Rs 500/- or so, which is why I dropped the idea and decided to do it by myself. I guess I was also influenced by the statements on the TR document saying that they have simplified the process.

My first vehicle is my car- SX4, which is why I had to run to the bank to prepare a draft for an additional 5% tax.

In the end, without a broker, my registration adventure turned into an ordeal which took around half a day to complete.
nishsingh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks