Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2019, 16:09   #136
BANNED

re: Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Wait for BS6 scooters with Fuel Injection
No more scooters sir. It will be a bike only that's going to replace the Activa 125 at home.

It is either the 2019 Bajaj Dominar 400 or RE Interceptor 650.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 03:17   #137
BANNED

Insurance renewal time

After comparing policies on Policy Bazaar & Coverfox, found the final premium to be in the range of ₹900-940 with an IDV set at ₹35,600 - shall be renewing it today. Shall be choosing Coverfox for the renewal as I find it better plus the customer service is better too. Have renewed 3 policies so far and this one will be the 4th. I hope this is the last renewal in my hands for the Activa 125.

The scooter's been idle for over a month now IIRC and hope it starts tomorrow without any drama. Giving the Creta a much needed break after completing a 3,300 kms road trip.
Old 6th June 2019, 06:29   #138
Senior - BHPian

Even I'm in the same boat. Our humble Activa has taken the joy out of riding. There was a time when practicality (luggage space/no gears etc) ruled the head, but no longer so, since the resultant back pain riding over Bangalore's non-existent roads is just not worth it. I'm looking at the new Dominar and Interceptor as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
No more scooters sir. It will be a bike only
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 15:55   #139
BHPian

Re: Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold

Bumping this thread.

I drove my 125 hard into a pot hole and the front suspension has gone for a toss, again. I had had it serviced at the ASC but the job wasn't satisfactory, so I am thinking of taking it up myself or at a FNG.
Would you have access to the part numbers for the fork seals and components of the fork? Also, how much oil goes into the fork?

Last edited by surajspai : 10th December 2019 at 15:58. Reason: Typo
Old 11th December 2019, 10:59   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surajspai View Post
Bumping this thread.

I drove my 125 hard into a pot hole and the front suspension has gone for a toss, again. I had had it serviced at the ASC but the job wasn't satisfactory, so I am thinking of taking it up myself or at a FNG.
Would you have access to the part numbers for the fork seals and components of the fork? Also, how much oil goes into the fork?
Measure the oil currently in the forks whilst draining them and fill in new oil of the same amount. Using a slightly thicker fork-oil (10 Weight) improves damping quite a lot.
Check your fork stem bearings and service them too if required.
Crankpin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 11:49   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
Measure the oil currently in the forks whilst draining them and fill in new oil of the same amount. Using a slightly thicker fork-oil (10 Weight) improves damping quite a lot.
Check your fork stem bearings and service them too if required.
Stem bearings and 10W fork oil-wilco.

But the forks have had a blowout once when I drove into another pothole on a rainy night and the latest one was trying to avoid a uncle and his kid who werent paying attention to where they were going.Both times I wasnt able stop fast enough.
Anyhow,since its been rebuilt once before and the ASC's work was suspicious,I dont trust the oil quantity they poured in.So,It would be reassuring if I was able to get the exact quantity.
Old 19th May 2020, 09:04   #142
Team-BHP Support

I have a Activa 3G (110cc) bought in June '16; the bike is barely used though.

I've faced a peculiar issue with it for quite some time: the engine rpm randomly goes higher than idle (without accelerator input). I've tried to check for specific pre-conditions that caused it but couldn't find any. Worse, the engine rpm shoots up on random occasions and stays high for a random amount of time. It is tad higher than what it is when the choke is active. It is enough to let the bike coast at 10-15 km/hr with a rider aboard.

When I bough the bike, the engine rpm was low that the bike would shut off without accelerator input. *It was then increased; was set high that the bike would move ahead without input. It was then decreased and seems to be at an ideal idle.

* is where the problem became noticeable. The bike is due for annual service in June where I'll bring this up again but just thought I'll put this here to get an idea about what could be wrong.
Old 19th May 2020, 10:13   #143
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

I've faced a peculiar issue with it for quite some time: the engine rpm randomly goes higher than idle (without accelerator input).
Could be sticky throttle cable or damaged also maybe.

I presume neither of the cables i.e. throttle & choke cables would have been changed by the previous owner. Suggest you to change both the cables and also clean the carburettor once.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 10:34   #144
BHPian

Quote:

I've faced a peculiar issue with it for quite some time: the engine rpm randomly goes higher than idle (without accelerator input).
This could be sticky accelerator cable. One way to confirm is on standstill open and close the accelerator and check if the engine rpm still remains same or higher than normal on closing.

Or this could be an issue with clogged carburetor. Do a thorough clean at your FNG. Should be good to go.
fordday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 11:26   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I presume neither of the cables i.e. throttle & choke cables would have been changed by the previous owner. Suggest you to change both the cables and also clean the carburettor once.
I brought it new and have been the only owner. Are both the cables part of scheduled replacement? I doubt either have been changed because I've paid the same amount at every service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
One way to confirm is on standstill open and close the accelerator and check if the engine rpm still remains same or higher than normal on closing.
It is erratic; regardless of accelerator input. The problem has occurred when a) the bike is standstill (on the main stand), and b) I start it and start riding, coasting at ~10 km/hr on a flat road without ever giving any accelerator input.

Will get both the cables checked/replaced and the carburettor cleaned.

FNG and Honda A.S.S. are both open but I'm wondering if it is a good time to go in now.
Old 19th May 2020, 11:39   #146
BANNED

Quote:
I brought it new and have been the only owner. Are both the cables part of scheduled replacement? I doubt either have been changed because I've paid the same amount at every service.
4 years, is a lot of time and it is suggested you change both these cables. It may just give one fine day and situation will be like how it was for Hrithik Roshan (in Kaho Na Pyaar Hai movie)

AFAIK, accelerator cable costs ₹325. Don't remember the choke one though.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 21:56   #147
BHPian

Quote:

It is erratic; regardless of accelerator input. The problem has occurred when a) the bike is standstill (on the main stand), and b) I start it and start riding, coasting at ~10 km/hr on a flat road without ever giving any accelerator input.

Will get both the cables checked/replaced and the carburettor cleaned.

FNG and Honda A.S.S. are both open but I'm wondering if it is a good time to go in now.
I have an Activa 125 from Dec’16 and 24k KM which developed this problem about 4 months back. Immediately I suspected this as end of life for throttle cable but was postponing taking it to a FNG and it was progressively getting worse during these lockdown days.

I was finally able to take it to a FNG this week as the businesses reopened only 10 days back. As suspected, it was diagnosed as throttle cable needing replacement and after 500 Rs. for the cable + labor, it rides like new now.

As part of the work, I realized that replacing the cable was a royal pain in scooters compared to motorcycles. The mechanic was operating solo without anyone to assist and it was a bit of work opening up the panels and replace the cable. I was surprised that he charged only 200 Rs. for the labor with the other 300 Rs. going for the cable.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 20th May 2020 at 21:58.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 18:17   #148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
This could be sticky accelerator cable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
I have an Activa 125 from Dec’16 and 24k KM which developed this problem about 4 months back.
Took the bike to the neighborhood FNG since Honda ASC didn't resolve this issue, despite complaining about it for two years. The problem was immediately identified since the rpm shot up when the handle was turned in a particular direction.

I insisted on a replacement but he resisted and eventually did not change the throttle cable. He claims that post the cable setting, the problem will not reoccur. Also said that the design/cable itself isn't properly done which is why this problem occurs so frequently.

On a related note, the FNG wasn't much cheaper than the ASC; just a diff of 100 on annual service (950 vs 1040 at ASC).
Old 21st May 2020, 18:37   #149
BANNED

Quote:
The problem was immediately identified since the rpm shot up when the handle was turned in a particular direction.

I insisted on a replacement but he resisted and eventually did not change the throttle cable. He claims that post the cable set, the problem will not reoccur. Also said that the design/cable itself isn't properly done which is why this problem occurs so frequently.
Let the FNG say anything, I'll still say get the cable changed. 4 years and also looking at the issue as the cable was getting pinched/pulled excessively in a certain angle causing the RPM to shoot, would have caused some wear inside.

The FNG must have re-routed the cable mostly.
Old 27th June 2020, 17:14   #150
BHPian

Hello a4anurag sir,
Today while I was working on my Hero Maestro (previous model which was based on Activa) I decided to open up the Valve Cover to check the valves clearance and I found this.

Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-img_20200627_144416.jpg

Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-img_20200627_144424.jpg

The tappet for the exhaust valve had some marks, whereas the cam was in a decent condition. The scooter had clocked around 35000 kms in 6 years and has been as reliable as it could get. It has been mostly serviced by me and all the oil changes have been performed religiously at every 1500-1800 kms/ 6months. So is this wear normal or should I be worried?

As of now I don't have any problems with the scooter in driveability or performance although the fuel economy is on the lower side. Cleaned the carburetor at 34800 kms and the idling issue which was present earlier is now gone. The oil is due for replacement as it has done around 1500 kms.

On a different note I'm surprised that your scooter's CVT juddering issue was appearing within 2000kms of replacement of each and every transmission component. For me, till today I've only replaced the CVT belt @24000 kms and till now there has been no juddering or handle vibration, although prior to that no matter how much cleaning was performed on the transmission components was done but the juddering would eventually return after every 200 kms. And only now there are signs of clutch slippage sometimes.

And yes even I opted to stay away from Hero and Honda ASC as they are really incompetent.

Thanks,
Abhishek.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks