Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2016, 19:40   #61
BANNED

re: Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold

Got my Activa's RC book today and the HSRP too. Went to the RTO and got the plates fit. Took me 4.5 hours in total as the rush was too heavy.

Here are some images of the plates fit inside the Number plate frames.

Front Number plate
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-img_20160725_172525.jpg

Closeup
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-img_20160725_172529.jpg

Rear Number Plate
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-img_20160725_172506.jpg

Closeup
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-img_20160725_172511.jpg

Link to Purchase: http://www.amazon.in/Motorcycle-Number-Plastic-Plate-Holder/dp/B01DM1SIM0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui _detailpage_o03_s00
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 20:25   #62
BANNED

It's been over 14 days since I restarted the Activa and when I did it took over 35 kicks to get it to life (Yes you have read it right). Embarrassed!

While on the move, I notice another problem that has cropped up for the first time. Here's a small video shot by my wife while on the move. Sorry for the bad quality one. Taken by the mobile.

After I came home, I opened the speedometer gear box and cleaned it with a brush. Went out again for a small trip. All was OK. Have clocked 49 kms today and that erratic behaviour wasn't noticed. Will keep an eye on this issue.

Any suggestions for engine oil that is best suited for the scooter and the grade to go with?!
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 18:15   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It's been over 14 days since I restarted the Activa and when I did it took over 35 kicks to get it to life (Yes you have read it right). Embarrassed!
Quote:
While on the move, I notice another problem that has cropped up for the first time.
After I came home, I opened the speedometer gear box and cleaned it with a brush. Went out again for a small trip. All was OK. Have clocked 49 kms today and that erratic behaviour wasn't noticed. Will keep an eye on this issue.
Are these 2 issues recurring?

I see the 2nd issue in my 2003 Pulsar's tachometer (I take out this bike only once in month (practically abandaned)) - and I know its because of either lose wiring or low battery.
Old 18th October 2016, 22:16   #64
BANNED

ISSUE

From 20 - 50 kmph, the scooter drives and feels smooth be it emergency acceleration or cruising but it is post 50 kmph it feels too rough and irritates me. I was doubting whether the oil was changed at first service or no. So went ahead and got a better oil filled today. I somehow was not convinced with the engine oil that Honda uses as OEM. So wanted to give a try changing it with something else keeping the grade and rating same.

BHPian interc00led uses this oil continuously and likes the performance so I decided to get the same for my scooter. Though he uses the similar one for his Xtreme & Karizma, I got the one compatible for scooters. Thanks Buddy!

I have driven 74 kms post oil change, I find it slightly smoother in drive post 50 kmph. Will post a verdict after it clocks more miles.

Honda OEM Engine Oil (Pic Courtsey: xBhp)
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-engine-oil.jpg

Veedol Take-Off 4S (10W30; JASO MB; API-SN) - MRP was 250 per bottle of 800ml
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-veedol-oil.jpg

Current condition of the Spark plug after 780 kms
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-spark-plug.jpg

When I requested the mechanic to open the engine compartment to access the spark plug, the seat base needs to be lifted. While doing so, one of the bolt threads (marked in Yellow) were damaged. Blame it Honda ASC for not following the right process to tighten these bolts.

Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-39.-underseat-storage-toolkit.jpg

Got a new pair of screws (Costing 9 each)
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-img_20161018_201223.jpg

I just hate these guys at the ASC. What a bunch of fools!

PS: The Veedol oil is manufactured by Tide Water Oil Co (India) Ltd. OEM engine oil that Honda uses (Yellow bottle) is also manufactured by the same company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
Are these 2 issues recurring?
Speedometer issue has not recurred again from that day, Touchwood!!

Though the starting problem seems to be there when the scooter is left for more than 6 days. Off late it is been used every alternate day and the first start happens faster than rest of the times.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2016, 20:02   #65
BANNED

ODOMETER UPDATE

With the completion of almost 5 months of ownership with me, it has hit one of the many to come milestones in its journey with me.

Name:  ForumRunner_20161106_200043.png
Views: 7532
Size:  222.1 KB
a4anurag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 14:23   #66
BHPian

I have done around 12,000 kms on Activa 125 over 2 years.
I find the rear suspension too hard for riding alone, which I do most of the time. Other than this spine crushing suspension, I find this scooter very good.
I don't know what can be done about it. But any leads are welcome and appreciated.

I will be willing to spend a bit, if results are good.

P.S. I can only fasten/loosen screws, nuts and bolts myself. Nothing more.
Old 26th November 2016, 08:42   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhavgpai View Post
I find the rear suspension too hard for riding alone, which I do most of the time.
I don't know what can be done about it. But any leads are welcome and appreciated.
You may reduce the tyre pressures. The recommended psi is 22 front and 29 rear (single rider) for the factory MRF nylogrips.

Reduce it to 20 and 27. It will offer better road grip. Fuel efficiency may reduce marginally. Your spine will thank you.

You may also fit an additional seat cover. Find a good upholstery guy and ask him to put in half inch foam below the rider seat and quarter inch for pillion.

In Blr. the Shivajinagar area and JC road have good workers.

This can be fitted over the original seat cover.
There is absolutely no need to remove the old one. Or rip it out as one of our revolutionary comrade has suggested above.

I did one more thing. The seat cover is actually 2 pieces stitched together, a top and a side strip about 2 inches in width.

You may replace the side rexine strip with a silver strip (my choice) or any other colour which matches your scooter colour.

You may also fix better quality handle grips. The OE is cheap plastic. I found a pair that is rubbery for more grip and has a softer surface.

If you are used to riding only bikes then your riding style has to be modified. You can go over typical city potholes on a bike. Big diameter wheels and longer traveling suspensions will handle the situation well.

In a scooter one must slow down or go around them.
Old 26th November 2016, 09:07   #68
BANNED

Quote:
Any suggestions for engine oil that is best suited for the scooter and the grade to go with?![/i]
I suggest you buy a grade which says 5W-40. I have switched to this from 100 km itself.

The Shell petrol bunks have it. Or buy it on amazon. It is 1200 per litre.

5w means it is light and thin. This lubricates the engine immediately on starting. The 40 number means at high temperatures the oil will continue to work well.

Honda recommends 10W-30. Probably because that is the only one which is Honda branded.

Don't believe manufacturers. I know more than them.

The oil can will state that it is for high performance cars and our humble activa is not mentioned.

The labelling is unimportant. The oil does not stop working if your vehicle is not a Ferrari.
Old 28th November 2016, 11:58   #69
BHPian

Thanks hangover,

I appreciate your suggestions.

I usually have to travel about 54 kms daily for my commute and Car/Bus is not a viable option in my case.

I am thinking of a like to like swap of the rear suspension elements with a softer one and will be on the lookout for the same.

Any leads?
Old 4th December 2016, 08:46   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Activa-i & 3G were rejected straightaway for the trailing arm suspension setup. I just don’t like that setup whatever it is.
What's wrong with this set up?

Quote:
My wife wasn't comfortable to use the discs especially under emergency situations that I created. She just grabbed the front lever and it almost got into a skid but I saved the day since I was riding pillion for this very reason else I'll have to pay the repair bills for the Aviator. On the regular city usage she was okay with the brakes but still found the drum setup better.
I don't get this. Disks are any day superior and safer.

Quote:
The other option of tyre that the Activa rides on is, TVS Conta. It may be an option but I have never seen any Activa shod on TVS tyres – A rare sight!
All Hondas come with the Tuff Up Tubes from MRF. Has TVS developed something equivalent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
People with RX 100's and 135's fixed yezdi 16" wheels for added comfort and handling.
This is the most stupid mod people do on a RX. Totally ruins the looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Although it might be possible to retro-fit a disc, it wont be easy in anyway and would involve huge amount of money. Also it would be not very reliable when compared to a vehicle with factory fitted disc. So I'd suggest you sell Activa and buy a new scooter with Disc brakes. Modifying a 8 year old scooter isn't reliable by any means IMHO.
This has become more or less of a standard reply when someone asks about a modification "Sell and buy something else". Retrofitting is not cheap but definitely cheaper than buying a new bike. And why will it be unreliable? You will be fitting the same components as the factory.
Old 4th December 2016, 11:00   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
What's wrong with this set up?
I don't like the braking feel and feedback the front end on the Activa 3G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
I don't get this. Disks are any day superior and safer.
It is safer but ladies at home aren't comfortable with it so I put that point in the review. Had the Activa been used by me ONLY, it would have been Alloys and Disc combination without any doubt.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 08:27   #72
BANNED

Been a while since my last update.

Nothing much to write about as it is performing well and reliably. Get's me from Point A to Point B in superior comfort and ease.

Has done 1400 kms so far as it sits idle for most of the time. Sharing two images that I clicked 2 days back.

Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-239718-img_20170111_122515.jpg

Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-239717-img_20170111_122503.jpg

Suggestion if I should go for adding a Floor panel decal on my Activa? The decal will be "HONDA" (image attached)

Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-accessories1211.jpg

Do let me know if it suits the scooter and is worth it!! Plus what could be the cost?

Last edited by a4anurag : 13th January 2017 at 08:33.
Old 11th March 2017, 14:13   #73
BHPian

Hi a4anurag, I'm also a proud owner of an Activa 125 and i have got some subtle mods done to it. Mine is the disc and alloy wheel combo though. As per your experience of the vibrations at the 50-60 kmph range, i also had the same problem along with the problem of the acceleration not being delivered properly if the throttle was twisted fully. The solution to these is getting your clutch cleaned. Atleast this is what i was told by my trusted guy at the Honda Service Centre. Gave him the go ahead since I've known him from many years. The first problem has disappeared to a certain extent but not fully though it's certainly better than before as the Scooty now feels very free revving and the vibrations seem unnoticeable at higher revs. The second problem as been eradicated. The Scooty is also much smoother than before. I was extremely careful with my Scooty's run in and made sure it didn't cross 50 kmph and never once exceed half throttle. And now even at 3300 Kms it's as good as new.
CarLoverJosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 12:56   #74
Team-BHP Support

Details of fixing the Engine idling & stalling issue have been moved to their own thread:

LINK (Honda Activa: Engine idling & stalling issue caused by faulty "O" ring fitment (carburetor))
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 19:15   #75
Team-BHP Support

Have you thought about Insurance Renewal yet?

I just got a letter from Oriental Insurance reminding me that the Activa's insurance is up for renewal.

I called up my dealer, he said they'd take care of it. One option is to get it renewed from them this weekend/next week when I go in for the scheduled 12 months free service.

Other is doing it myself.

I logged on to Oriental's website and put in details; the damn thing won't allow me to renew it! I get a prompt saying my policy isn't eligible for online renewal. Wonder if the arrangement is such that it can only be done through agent/dealer.

I checked policybazaar and got a quote of 1250 from Oriental for zero-dep and 40k IDV.

FYI: the first year premium was 1490.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks