Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2016, 16:43   #1
BANNED

Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold

Here is my review on my latest acquisition.. Presenting the Honda Activa 125 STD

Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-op.jpg

What I Like:
  • Neutral and Clean design;
  • Stability
  • 125 cc engine with a strong mid-range refined engine
  • Reliability and fuss-free riding experience
  • Cluster Staging
  • Comfort

What I Didn’t Like:
  • Less under seat storage (Can’t take a full face helmet)
  • Poor headlight design
  • Harsh ride
  • Honda's accessories list and atrocious pricing. Just looting the customers.

__________________________________________________ ________________

She was home on the 10th of June. It is good to have a two wheels at home for the local runs that don't demand a four wheeler. Read on further for the review guys:

I have put the review under the following points with links given to jump to that post directly:

1. How did it happen a.k.a The Need to get one?!

2. Scooter Selection

3. Booking Experience

4. Delivery Experience

5. The "Actual Delivery"

6. Feedback on the Scooter

7. Activa 125 STD: Pictorial Description

8. Activa 125 STD: Pictorial Description Continued..

9. Small Pictorial Comparison between Activa's Generation

10. Accessories & Tools bought for the Activa 125

Last edited by a4anurag : 25th June 2016 at 17:54.
a4anurag is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 17:10   #2
BANNED

How did this happen a.k.a The "Need to get one"?!

With my Karizma's actual usage dropping to 30 kms a week maximum, it used to stand idle most of the time waiting for me to take it for a ride but thanks to my work timings and hectic schedule, that ride never happened frequently to do justice to it. It was always a force-full ride to keep her ‘well’ mechanically and not to let her rot inside with prolonged idle/no usage.

My Karizma R
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-dsc01471.jpg

It was on the 3rd Feb, 2016 when I gathered all my courage to finally hand over the bike to another BHPian who would take care of it more than I did which I am very sure off and I have seen the bike twice after I sold it off. I am happy to see her get the real usage for what she was made.

It was over the past 1 year that I was thinking to sell her off but never had the courage to put it on OLX/Quikr/Inform friends about the news that I am giving it off. I have spent good amount of money in keeping her mechanically well except for faded front panels, it was almost new on the rest of the bike. Odometer at the time of selling was just 25.5K and it was with me since 6 years 7 months and 25 days. The link to the last post in that thread: Hero Honda Karizma R: Last post (Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!)

Post the sale, my Mom was happy that the walk-way where the bike was parked is empty and free, also Dad is happy that the bike is gone and would be genuinely used by someone ‘in-need’ rather than keeping it idle every day. They say that time is the best healer and yes it did heal to a certain extent only till I don't spot a Karizma on the roads where I go back to the golden days of riding her around the town and now she is not with me.

Somehow my work did over power my head and life was going steady as came the month of April where for my company (Parle Agro Pvt Ltd), it is season time and work is even more hectic till Mid-June which translates to no extra time for sleeping or eating. Just work-home-eat-sleep-work and the cycle continue's. In these months, I spend more time at work rather than at home with family.

Importance of two-wheeler at every home:

Even though the bike used to sit idle at home most of the times; it was particularly useful if I needed to go anywhere inside the city or go to nearest supermarket with mom/wife. Now that the bike was not there, my Swift used to be doing this duty of visiting the supermarkets etc. Good in a way as it was a nice reason for the ladies to shop more as the car would haul the luggage and the pillion had it been my Karizma.

At times I used to hate to take my Swift into the city due to lack of parking and creates an unnecessary congestion to the already congested roads but I had no choice. This is when I used to realize the importance of having a two-wheeler at home. Believe it or NOT: Having one at home is a blessing at many times.

On the 1st May, when I had a day-off, Dad came up and asked me why not get a two-wheeler as taking the car everywhere sounded too silly especially for a kilometer distance. I jumped in joy listening to dad when he asked me to go shopping but that was a short-lived one.

Reason for my joy fading off: I was asked to look ONLY at a scooter and NOT a Bike again. I was . All my joy lost in a second post his decision of getting a scooter ONLY.

With dad being firm on his decision, I couldn’t do anything to budge him so had to compromise for getting a scooter for home duty so that it can be used by all at home which isn’t the case if I get a bike. In one way if seen logically, it is correct and as usual I am busy at work so the Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 that is what I was aspiring to buy post Karizma's sale too would gather dust.

So I somehow convinced myself and started looking at Scooter segment... This is how she comes home FINALLY!

Last edited by a4anurag : 25th June 2016 at 13:45.
a4anurag is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 18:05   #3
BANNED

Scooter Selection

SCOOTER SELECTION

When the word 'Scooter' comes into my mind, Honda Activa is what echoes. That scooter is a MONOPOLY in the segment so no prizes for guessing what scooter I went for in the end. Also it is now the highest selling two-wheeler in the country selling on an average of 2 lakh units a month! Wow!

Here's a feather in it's cap:
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-181439897091hondaactivascooter01.jpg

There was no other scooter that I wanted to put my money on other than the Honda Activa. Some may say that it is heard mentality as there are scooters with more features or value but all of these aren't my cup of tea as I am looking at Reliability and peace of mind overall. The word 'Reliability' and 'Peaceful ownership' can be totally attributed with the Activa pan India. Sales figures speak a lot for the scooter whatever it offers the customer.

Since it was decided, Activa it is. Next was which one of it is to be bought. Activa comes in 3 forms namely,
  1. Activa-i
  2. Activa 3G
  3. Activa 125.

Number 1 & 2 use the same 110 cc engine whereas the Number 3 gets a 125cc heart hence the name contains '125' after Activa.

Went to the showroom on the 6th June to check in reality the three Activa’s to narrow down on the best I needed. The Activa-i & 3G were rejected straightaway for the trailing arm suspension setup. I just don’t like that setup whatever it is.

Trailing Arm suspension as seen on 3G
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-trailing-arm.jpg

The other point I felt was the Activa-i felt to basic and small in size (read skinny) to look at so that too wasn’t preferred too now leaving me with the only choice of Activa 125.

Dilemma on Activa 125 Variant

Since it was decided on what we needed or which variant we needed, it was time to finalize if 'Disc setup' or 'Drum setup' is to be bought?! I called up my friend to come home on his Aviator as he owns one with the Disc setup so my wife can get an idea about the braking feel and modulation. In comparison to the Aviator for its disc setup, I had my neighbour’s Activa 3G and a 14 year old Activa for further testing to be ridden back to back.

After approximately 5 kms each in various traffic conditions and a couple of hard braking situations, my wife and I did come to a conclusion. My wife wasn't comfortable to use the discs especially under emergency situations that I created. She just grabbed the front lever and it almost got into a skid but I saved the day since I was riding pillion for this very reason else I'll have to pay the repair bills for the Aviator. On the regular city usage she was okay with the brakes but still found the drum setup better. I was used to discs on both my Karizma and Unicorn so the Aviator was a breeze to ride.

Sealed the decided that "Drum + Steel wheel" combination is to be bought.

Colour for the Activa 125

It was also made clear that the colour for the scooter which would be purchased should be White.

So finally at 4:30 pm on the 6th June, I went and booked the Activa 125 in Pearl Amazing White. Picking up the details from the thread I started to document bookings related to two wheeler's just like we have for cars – The "I Booked my Bike/Scooter" Thread (The "I Booked my Bike / Scooter" Thread). Details Below:

Quote:
Make: Honda
Model: Activa 125
Variant: STD[
Booking Date: 06.06.2016
Colour: Pearl Amazing White
Expected Delivery Date: 10.06.2016
OTR: ₹ 68,000 (Rounded off)
Dealer & City: Raam Honda, Tadbund, Hyderabad
Freebies: None!
Others: None!
Accessories planned: Full Body Cover, Side stand and Ladies Foot Rest.
Now that the scooter is booked, I'll get to the Booking experience in the following post..

Last edited by a4anurag : 25th June 2016 at 08:15.
a4anurag is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 18:20   #4
BANNED

Booking Experience

BOOKING EXPERIENCE

I went to 3 showrooms for getting their respective quotes and to check who is better to deal with. I visited:
  • Jai Motors, Alwal;
  • JSP Honda, Kukatpally and
  • Raam Honda - 2 Branches (Tadbund & Kompally).

The first problem I encountered with these guys is the ‘Fend for yourself’ attitude.

Not one SA comes up to ask what I have come for and which vehicle I am interested in buying. It just feels like a local vegetable market in there at all times irrespective of what time I visit. All the showrooms are busy with families swarming in and out enquiring about the vehicles, kids running around etc. Feels good in one way that there are so many interested families to enquire for a Honda but on the other side, I feel lost there with no attention being given as I am in search of the quotation and final pricing for the Activa 125. On an average it took me 35 – 40 minutes to get a Sales person come to me to ask why have I come there?!

When I visited JSP Motors and Jai Motors for a quotation, all it took me 5 minutes to close deal after getting a dedicated SA since they were NOT ready to deliver the scooter if I don’t buy the Accessories Pack from them which costs ₹ 3500 and also my request to waive off the Handling charges. Even after the state government notice to dealers to not charge for Handling, it is being followed by many dealers. Sad!

Raam Honda guys on the other hand were better in their methods of discussion and customer handling. Though the showroom was full, from start to end it took me 20 minutes to get the quote, check the scooter and finalize the price.

I had to do a lot of talking and arguing for them to deliver me the scooter without accessories + handling charges. I had bookmarked the thread started by Waseem a.k.a Silverwood on the notice to all dealerships to not charge customers extra money in the name of Handling!

Raam Honda has two dealerships that are around my house (One is 5 kms in the north direction and the other was 6 kms) so I chose to go to their main branch that is located 6 kms away from home and that being the main dealership talks would be better and to the point. The other problem I had encountered which made me choose the main dealership was availability of the 125 STD variant without accessories. All the Standard variant at the Kompally branch were ready for delivery with accessories fixed prior so that the customer is forced to accept it that way. I was firm in my stance so I was sent to their main branch where they have stocks without any fitment of accessories.

All the showroom that I visited, quoted a final OTR price between ₹71,000 – ₹73,000 for the Activa 125 standard variant irrespective of the colour. This price quote included – Handling charges, Accessories, RSA, Teflon Coating, Extended warranty and AMC. I blatantly deleted all these extras and just asked for two accessories i.e. Side stand and Ladies foot rest. That’s it! Which got the OTR coming down to ₹68,000 (rounded off).

Honda Genuine Accessories List:
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-honda-genuine-accesories.jpg

Quotations that I got and the one I chose finally:
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-quotation.jpg

Stocks were available readily and it takes them 3 hours to deliver if paying by cash and if by payment is done by cheque, it takes them 2 -3 days for clearance depending on the bank post which the delivery process is initiated.

When I gone there to check the scooter, they were pressurizing me to take the delivery that day itself (as I was paying by cash) but I somehow did manage to successfully postpone it to the 10th which was attributed as an auspicious day according to my parents. With high sales for the Activa, I paid ₹1,000 as an amount towards booking to reserve the scooter for myself.

Prior to payment towards booking, I went to their yard to check the vehicle myself. After checking it I paid the advance, communicated that I would be there on the 10th for delivery. They acknowledged the same verbally and then I left for home.

Booking Slip:
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-booking-slip.jpg

Their stockyard: The black one was bought by my colleague.
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-stockyard-pdi.jpg

Slip present in all vehicles that contains MFD, Chassis and Engine number - This one is an example one. I lost my scooters biodata slip.
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-mfd-chassis-engine-number.jpg

Last edited by a4anurag : 25th June 2016 at 08:15.
a4anurag is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 18:44   #5
BANNED

Delivery Exprience

DELIVERY EXPERIENCE

Come 10th June, I call my SA at 09:30 am asking him the ideal time to come to the showroom for delivery plus asked him to keep all documents ready prior hand where I can just check, assure and sign the dotted line and take the delivery BUT I got an answer from him that all delivery related process will be initiated AFTER payment of balance amount. Also from the time of paying they need 3 hours to get the vehicle ready for delivery. I was speechless!

Listening to this, I asked him what is the ideal time to arrive t the showroom so that delivery process is done quickly? He asked me to reach by 10:30 am as they too would be free to attend customers post the regular morning meetings etc. I agreed and promptly reached the showroom along with my wife at 10:30 am. Here’s how things unfolded at the dealership from the time I stepped in till the time I stepped out:

10:30 to 10:45 – 15 minutes
  • The dealership wasted the time searching the customer docket file that contains the booking receipt copy, Address + ID proof and final pricing that was discussed during booking on the 6th June.

10:45 to 11:00 – 15 minutes
  • Waiting for the SA to come back after which he would take me to the yard for my PDI.

11:00 to 12:10 – 1 hour and 10 minutes
  • After I was taken to the yard, I did my PDI and had to reject the scooter allotted to me. Reason is at the end of this post.***

12:20 to 13:00 – 40 minutes
  • PDI of another Activa that was bought from their other yard and final acceptance with balance amount payment plus checking the insurance and other documents for the details and its correctness.

13:05 to 13:20 – 15 minutes
  • A round of blasting them as color is filled as Metallic Blue whereas I booked Pearl Amazing White.
  • All documents – Insurance, owner’s manual, Retail invoice all of them had the colour mentioned wrong. Funniest part, they did not have any stock of Metallic Blue that day as it was delivered 2 days back but not updated correctly in their system.

13:20 to 13:45 – 25 minutes
  • New documents prepared and Temporary Registration number generated.

13:50 to 14:00 – 10 minutes
  • Took the Temporary Registration papers and a gate pass that was issued to me by the staff which needed to be given to the security in the ground floor who was guarding my scooter.
  • He would then cross verify the details like Chassis, engine number plus take the carbon print of engine + chassis number of the vehicle being delivered. After all is OK, the guard writes the TR number on a yellow sticker and sticks it to the vehicle. It is now finally ready for delivery.

So in short, from 10:30 to 14:00 which is 3.5 hours is what took them to deliver a vehicle with all documents finally correct, which is highly irritating in my opinion. I remember my friend getting delivery in 1 hour from payment but he had bought it from JSP Honda, Chandanagar.

• The Activa allotted to me didn't look normal when I saw it covered in dust and I wasn’t happy the way they had it stored so I asked them to wash the vehicle for me to precede with my PDI of the second one.

• After 20 minutes of pressure wash and wiping dry, I got the vehicle to check. The body being metal, I check for the finish (read any dings or dents) plus paint quality all round. It was then where I noticed an issue; the whole left side of the scooter was rough to touch (just like the surface when tree sap is on the body). I pointed it out so they applied some vague polish but that didn’t solve it plus the chrome on the central cowl too had fine scratches (Not visible if seen casually but if seen up close, it can be detected).

• These points made me reject it and asked for another 125 to be brought, washed and kept ready for PDI to be done. This time, I was second time lucky.

Last edited by a4anurag : 25th June 2016 at 13:47.
a4anurag is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 18:49   #6
BANNED

The "Actual Delivery"

THE "ACTUAL DELIVERY"

After the T/R number is stuck on the vehicle, the security guard hands me over the keys and says congratulations on the delivery. I am like .

During the final delivery moment, no SA who was sticking around me during the booking time or anyone from dealership is present there. No photographs or key hand-over ceremony. Nothing! Just take the keys from the security and leave. Delivery is done! This is how they feel I guess.

Their responsibility ends after the cashier receives the cash. Till cash is paid customer is king but after the cash is paid, let the king wait! It felt like they did a favor by delivering the scooter and it being 14:00, only 5 people were there in the delivery area. Rest all had gone for lunch.

May be I am expecting a lot but this is just not the way how vehicles are to be delivered to a customer who is paying ₹70,000 of his hard earned money trusting the brand and the showroom.

Buying a vehicle whatever be its cost, is a special moment for the family so it is basic common sense for the showroom guys to be present at least there till the delivery happens and the customer leaves with the scooter. I am not asking ribbon cutting or any kind of extravagance but just a simple ‘Congrats’ from the SA which makes our heart feel good.

Dejected, I took the keys, wore my helmet and left the showroom heading straight to the fuel station for a full tank of petrol. She took in 5.14L of petrol which costs ₹360. I am utterly surprised to see a ‘Full Tank’ happening under ₹500.

At 17:00, I went to the temple for blessing of the almighty. Completed the ritual and we just went riding casually around the city.

Booking process rating: 8/10

Delivery process rating: 6/10

Now let's get to the meat of the matter - My Activa 125. The following post will have the points I feel regarding the scooter.

Last edited by a4anurag : 25th June 2016 at 08:20.
a4anurag is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 18:55   #7
BANNED

With almost 300 kilometers on the odometer now as I pen down the review, I'll put down my observations in no particular order as follows:
  • Looks & Styling;
  • Body Panels;
  • Comfort;
  • Wheels, Tyres and Brakes;
  • Instrumentation Cluster;
  • Lighting;
  • Riding Experience;
  • Fuel Efficiency.
__________________________________________________ _________

Looks & Styling:
  • If is it be told in one word then I'd say the 125 variant is Smart!

• Clean, understated design with no funky panels or lines on the scooter. I feel White (Pearl Amazing White as Honda calls it) is the best colour to get the real lines and actual design out of the vehicle. I found Black colour mask all lines and size of the scooter only highlighting the 'Y-shape' Chrome panel.

• With inclusion of telescopic forks as compared to the Trailing arm type which is employed in the other two variants, the front end has less clutter. Easy to clean and maintain.

• The Black cover over the headlamp breaks monotony in design and differentiates it from its siblings. Feels like the Activa is wearing a cap!

• The 'Y-shape' Chrome on the central cowl is one of the feature that differentiates the Activa siblings. Some find it tacky but I like its integration in the design. Influenced from Aviator's drawings is what I think and it gives the scooter a feel of having a tall stance.

• L.A.R.G.E tail lamp, a single piece unit that houses the turn indicators in it with some snazzy lines, occupies the whole of the rear end. The plastic panel above it is small and feels invisible when seen in a distance. Same can be said for the grab rail which is large and practically designed.

• Initial lot of Activa 125 variant has stickers instead of emblems (3D). This time I see, the introduction of 3D emblems. It gives the scooter a premium touch too. The '125' emblem is filled in red colour with chrome outline to make it stand out.

• There is a 'HET' badge on the left side of the scooter is just below the Activa emblem. In the 3G variant the 'Activa' part is a 3D emblem but the '3G' part is a sticker. Not sure what Honda was thinking during that implementation. The downside to this 3D emblem is it attracts attention is easy to be flicked!

Body Panels:
  • The Activa get less amount of plastic panels whereas the metal ones are more in number especially on the outer side. The headlight console, central cowl and cowl above taillight are plastic ones. The engine cover and the aprons are metal with a strong feel to it and no flexing on pressing with thumb as seen in some cars.

• The downside of having more of metal that plastic is weight. The Activa 125 being 110 kgs in weight whereas the 3G and Activa-i are 108 kgs and 102 kgs respectively is the heaviest of the lot. I actually don't find the scooter heavy because my past vehicles were heavier than this so it is a breeze for me.

• The panels around the instrumentation console and the panel behind the apron are all in hard black plastic that have instilled a fear in me where these panels turning white as age increases with exposure to nature's elements. I'll need to have 'dashboard polish' always ready to prevent these from turning white which was a major headache in previous generation Activa's.

• I am not sure what it is called but I'll name it as front Splash guard (or in terms of cars a Mud Flap) located just behind the front wheel mud guard that is designed to prevent water from splashing into the aprons or going up towards the central panel that houses the electrical parts. A curved black plastic cover-like is fixed with four screws to the front apron which helps in keeping the sides plus the inside of the central panel tidy and dry. Nice design!

• I always wondered why the engine cover is so huge in size as compared to the older Activa + I had another doubt of how to change the rear bulbs whenever they fail and was it mandatory to open the whole engine cover just to change a bulb as I never found screws holding the tail lamp unit?! This thinking was before I acquired the scooter so I couldn't get a glance of the owner's manual. After I got hold of the manual this is when I understood the reason and the way to access the tail light bulbs... Just insert one's hand from below the panel to get hold of the bulbs. Excellent design with no need of screws to be used keeping rattles at bay!

Comfort:
  • The initial two days were not as good for me as I thought since I developed back ache within 6 kms of riding. I accepted it thinking it is normal for my body as I lost touch with two wheeler's and moreover both the Unicorn and Karizma were super comfortable and no, the Activa isn't bad it is just that initial adaptation by my body to the scooter. Now with 300 kms nearing on the odometer, I find the scooter comfortable for all city runs varying from 4 kms to 40 kms usage at a stretch on all kinds of roads.

• The telescopic suspension at the front helps matters in comfort and feel over the old Trailing arm type. A special mention. Rice quality is so much better and handling characteristics are predictable.

• Seat is large and flat making it happy for both the rider and pillion with a mild contour in between to differentiate the seating areas for Rider and Pillion.

• I being 5'11", the Handlebar and Seat height with respect to the ground is good enough. But... I am not getting that fully relaxed feel when riding an Activa as compared to a bike. May be it is a psychological issue!

• If I sit just before that the mild curve on the seat, I find it less tiring and easier to ride.

Wheels, Tyres and Brakes:
  • With resistance to 'Alloy + Disc' combination at home, I had to resort to the 'Drum + Steel wheel' combination. Feels sad to see it actually but that is OK now as I have got used to it!

• Not sure what the engineer’s at Honda were smoking when they thought using that bizarre combination of 12” and 10” wheels. Feels odd actually but may be the comfort and pliant ride feel is attributed by the 12” wheel plus telescopic forks combination.

• Even though we chose the drum brakes combination, I am happy with the scooter in the braking department. Stable and comes to a halt without any fuss thanks to Honda’s Combi-brake system. When one pulls the left brake lever, it simultaneously engages the front and rear brakes to get better braking and reduce stopping distances inducing confidence in the rider. I have tried many emergency maneuvers to test braking (in closed roads obviously!) but I was never let down.

• The only grouse I have is if both the brakes are pressed hard at the same time, the scooter judders slightly till pressure is eased! Not sure why that happens as I have never noticed in either of my previous ownership vehicles.

• I use both the brakes at a time always as it’s become a habit from the Unicorn days (10 years now). They say old habits die hard! I am trying to program my brain to use the left lever more than grabbing both at the same time. Only during emergency is when I want to use both brake levers at the same time.

• Under all circumstances that I tested including wet conditions never did I notice any fish tailing or any kind of nervous behavior during braking which can be attributed to the decently grippy tyres that the scooter rides on which are tubeless.

Front: MRF Nylogrip Zapper FG – 90/90 x 12 54J
    Rear: MRF Nylogrip Zapper – 90/100 x 10 53J

• The other option of tyre that the Activa rides on is, TVS Conta. It may be an option but I have never seen any Activa shod on TVS tyres – A rare sight!

• I am currently maintaining the following tyre pressure combination (read as cold pressures) –> F = 23psi and R = 36 psi. The scooter would be used with pillion mostly so went with that recommended pressure combination. I find this setup a bit bouncy especially the front end so I am thinking to reduce it to 21 or 22 psi and rear to 34psi. Shall post my feedback as and when I get to do this change.

Instrument Cluster:
  • In the 125cc variant, the console is underlined by a silver plastic which breaks monotony with a small ‘Honda wing’ logo inserted in between. The cluster contains a square box which gives out data like – Digital fuel gauge, Odometer and Trip meter. There is an analogue speedometer on top. Two XL side turn indicator lights fill up the either sides of the console. A small button peaks up till the fibre-glass covering that is in place to reset the trip meter.

• The digital unit is lit always in amber colour whereas the speedometer part lights up on switching the parking lamps ON.

• Colour of the lighting used is Amber which is soothing to the eye and enhances readability in all conditions – Day, Night, Full sunlight and Rain. LED’s are used to light up the instrumentation cluster along with the tell-tale signs.

• Italics fonts are used for the tripmeter and odometer. ‘Economy’ range is marked in green from 30 to 50 kmph and a top speed marked too 110 kmph.

• Another special feature of the console that I love to watch repeatedly is "Cluster Staging". Here is a small video depicting the same.

• Every time I switch ON the ignition, the needle sweeps and returns to 0 plus the digital unit lighting up and then displaying the current fuel level, trip & odometer reading. I make it a point to wait till the process is completed and then I thumb the starter. I treat it like a self-system checking process

Lights:
  • Phoenix is the OEM supplier for the headlamp bulb with a 35/35W HS1 type bulb. This is the average rating used by manufacturers used in the two-wheeler industry. IMO it is weak for regular usage too. I don’t find anything good in the Activa’s headlight as it is AC setup. This feeling is in my head as I am used to Karizma’s beautiful headlight even though it was rated at 35W. Difference being better reflector design and DC setup as compared to AC setup on the Activa.

• The beam spread is flat but not powerful enough to keep riding with the low beam. It gets difficult to spot road undulations when speeds are above 50 kmph whereas the high beam is sharp and focuses well ahead of the scooter to keep me warning of stuff at higher speeds. An upgrade in bulb is a must as upgrade in rating is difficult. I am looking at replacing the headlight bulb too. Rest of the lights is good enough!

• One thing I find amusing is why no manufacturer in the country adjusts the headlight correctly prior to dispatching it to the dealer?! Why is it set in such a way that the high beam points to the trees/branches rather than lighting up the road for which it was designed in the first place. Sad to see no manufacturer adapt and give it to the customer at the 'right' height that doesn't harm the oncoming vehicles and bird on the trees. This is the first thing I did during the night ride on my Activa.

Riding Experience:
  • Thumb the starter and it comes to life without much delay and keeps purring silently. No heavy vibrations but I can feel the handlebar vibrating slightly at idle especially the console area.

• Setting off from 0 till 10 kmph one can notice judders but post 10 kmph is ultra-smooth. 50kmph is the sweet spot for this engine where one feels riding in air. If you want the comfortable driving range for this scooter it would be between 35 to 55 kmph. It can go on at these speeds for ages together.

• Once the scooter crosses 55 kmph and nearing the 60 kmph mark, it feels like the supercharger has come up alive. There is a sense of mild vibration post 60 kmph but that I’ll attribute to the trait of a CVT rather than calling it a defect or any such term. I am not complaining but it feels nice to ride above 60 kmph!

• The 125 variant comes with a Telescopic fork front suspension and a single hydraulic mono-shock at the rear. Overall the ride is nice and stable but gets stiff at bad roads. It keeps bouncing around if taken potholes slightly faster than normal. I guess the suspension is set on the stiffer side to prevent bottoming out on bad roads or speed breakers when riding with a pillion.

• During the initial days, I couldn’t ride long as I used to experience lower back pain. I have tried all sorts of seating positions but there is a major drawback for any scooter if being ridden by a tall person is the knees intruding into the handlebar turning trajectory. I have to bend my leg every time the steering needs to be on full lock when riding with pillion mainly. Gets irritating but I am helpless as this was never an issue either on my Karizma or Unicorn. I am slowly coming into terms with this aspect.

• Call it a psychological issue but I am always worried of the underbelly scraping at bumps or larger size potholes. I have checked the underbody and it is protected throughout with black plastic cover till the pivot point. Good that Honda did not skip on this regard. I have tried some large speed breakers (short in length but more in height) where cars like Vento/Laura/Ciaz scrape their under bellies, my Activa didn’t sweat at all.

• Handling on corners at slightly faster speeds, the scooter is stable and does inspire confidence to lean. Extremely flick-able scoter thanks to the telescopic forks and a longer wheelbase yielding to better stability.

• Usage of throttle is the key here as in the best way to ride a scooter is to be easy on the throttle till speeds are in the range of 25-30 kmph post that any throttle input will reflect instantly on the speedometer needle. Lesser said the better for roll-on speeds for this scooter in the range from as low as 20 kmph to 65 kmph. Any minor throttle input is addressed instantly. The 125cc engine has a fantastic mid-range which is mostly put in use during city traffic conditions.

Fuel Efficiency:
  • Not sure if I can comment on this section as it is just run 300 kms with First service not done too. I am expecting an average FE of 50 kmpl minimum.

• Since this is the first full tank clubbed with double riding always and in the city, FE could take beating but this section will be justified as I spend more time riding it to keep checking its FE.

• Fuel tank capacity is 5.3L as per manufacturer and the first full tank took in 5.14L of petrol. Thereafter I expect it to take in anywhere between 4.1 to 4.5L of petrol.

• With the last bar of fuel blinking, filled the tank up again and calculated the FE which it came to 49kmpl.

Issues or Niggles experienced:
  • When the scooter is on either side stand or main stand, when I am not sitting on it and the engine is idling, the handlebar vibrates. The vibration goes if I am seated on the scooter. Bizarre!

• Minor squeak noticed just around the panel near the RVM bolt. Would be addressed at first service;

• A black shadow when the light is in Low Beam only. I guess this is due to the reflector design where there is a line inside where the two halves of the reflectors meet. I guess the portion joining is creating the shadow. Went to the ASC and checked some more 125’s there and all had the same shadow in the low beam so it indeed is a reflector design issue.

Last edited by a4anurag : 25th June 2016 at 17:26.
a4anurag is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th June 2016, 12:43   #8
BANNED

Activa 125 STD: Pictorial Description

Here's how the Activa 125 Standard variant looks in Pearl Amazing White.

Front View
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-1.-front.jpg

Front 3 quarters - From Left View
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-2.-front-3-quarters-left.jpg

Front 3 quarters - From Right View
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-3.-front-3-quarters-right.jpg

Left Side View
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-4.-left-side.jpg

Right Side View
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-5.-right-side.jpg

Rear 3 quarters - From Left View
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-6.-rear-3-quarters-left.jpg

Rear 3 quarters - From Right View
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-7.-rear-3-quarters-right.jpg

A Ground Shot View
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-8.-front-3-quarters-ground.jpg

Central Cowl
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-9.-central-cowl.jpg

Closeup of Front Indicators
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-10.-indicator-closeup.jpg

Emblems (Note: in 3D style)
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-11.-emblem.jpg

Combi-Brake System (CBS) Sticker
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-12.-cbs-sticker.jpg

Honda's Eco-Technology (HET) Sticker
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-13.-het.jpg

'Y-Shape' Chrome garnish
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-14.-yshape-chrome.jpg

Seat Lock located on the left side of the engine cover
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-15.-seat-lock.jpg

Front telescopic suspension
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-16.-front-suspension.jpg

CBS Cabling
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-17.-cbs-cables.jpg

CBS Unit
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-18.-cbs-unit.jpg

The 12" Front Steel Wheel
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-19.-12-inch-steel-wheel.jpg

BIG Grab rail
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-20.-grab-rail.jpg

Foot board View
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-21.-foot-board.jpg

Retractable Footrest
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-22.-footrest.jpg

Luggage Hook
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-23.-luggae-hook.jpg

OEM Floor mat removed
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-24.-oem-floor-mat-removed.jpg

Full view of the Handlebar
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-25.-full-handlebar-view.jpg

Comfortable and Large Seat
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-26.-seat.jpg

Seat Base
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-27.-seat-base.jpg

OEM Rearview Mirror
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-28.-rvm.jpg

Silencer and the Heat Shield
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-29.-silencer-heat-shield.jpg

Speedometer gearbox
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-30.-spedometer-reading-gearbox.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th June 2016, 13:10   #9
BANNED

Activa 125 STD: Pictorial Description Continued..

The Pictorial Description is continued..

Tail Light clubbed with the Indicators
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-31.-tail-light-indicators-1.jpg

Lights in Action - Headlight & Pilot lamp
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-32.-lights-action.jpg

Instrumentation Console
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-33.-instrumentation-console.jpg

Handlebar Locking Mechanism
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-34.-locking-mechanism.jpg

Switch gear Controls
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-35.-switchgear-controls.jpg

Tyre Information giving out tyre pressures and sizes of tyre + brand of tyre equipped on the scooter
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-36.-tyre-info.jpg

Tyre Manufacturing Date ('06 16' = Feb 8th to Feb 14th)
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-37.-tyre-mfd.jpg

Toolkit Contents (1. Toolkit Pouch; 2. Screwdriver; 3. 12x14 Spanner; 4. Wrench Plug; 5. Screwdriver Grip)
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-38.-toolkit-contents.jpg

Under seat storage with Toolkit + Document holder
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-39.-underseat-storage-toolkit.jpg

Under seat storage with a Vega Full Face Helmet
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-40.-vega-helmet.jpg

Under body Protection - I am Impressed!
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-41.-underbody-covering.jpg

First Aid Kit - Strapped to the seat base
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-42.-first-aid-kit.jpg

125cc Engine
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-43.-engine.jpg

Fuse Box with Spare Fuse (10A & 15A)
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-44.-fuse-box-spare-fuses.jpg

Exide Maintenance Free Battery
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-45.-exide-mf-battery.jpg

Weak Horn by Blowel
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-46.-weak-horn-blowel.jpg

Instrumentation Console at Night
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-47.-night.jpg

Odometer at the End of the First Day
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-48.-eod.jpg

Odometer reading during PDI
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-49.-odo-pdi.jpg

Odometer reading at the end of 1st Full Tank
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-50.-odometer-end-1st-full-tank.jpg

Parked at Home
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-51.-parked-home.jpg

With our two Helmets
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-52.-helmets.jpg

First FE Update
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-53.-first-fe-update.jpg

A Mysterious opening on the instrumentation console plastic panel
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-54.-mystery-opening-console.jpg

Last but not the least my colleague who bought the Activa 125, 2.5 months back but in Black colour. It has clocked almost 2.8K kms till date with no issues.

Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-img_20160227_064939.jpg

Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-img_20160227_064952.jpg

Somehow I don't like the Stainless Steel guard on the scooter.

Last edited by a4anurag : 25th June 2016 at 20:01.
a4anurag is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th June 2016, 13:39   #10
BANNED

Small Pictorial Comparison between Activa's Generation

In this post I just want to compare the Activa's on how they looked and now they have evolved to.

Two of my neighbours initially had the first batch of Activa's with them for the past 14 years running reliably. Out of the two, one guy exchanged it for a Activa 3G. It struck my mind to click these beauties together in comparison and post them here. That's what I did.

Activa - Old version - Side View (Note: Check the rear Grab rail - Felt strong and solid)
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-1.-old-activa-side.jpg

Activa - Old version - Rear View
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-2.-old-activa-rear.jpg

Old Version vs Activa 125 - Front View
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-3.-old-vs-new-front.jpg

Old Version vs Activa 125 - Rear View
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-4.-old-vs-new-rear.jpg

Activa 3G vs Activa 125 - Front View
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-5.-3g-vs-125-front.jpg

Activa 3G vs Activa 125 - Rear View
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-6.-3g-vs-125-rear.jpg

Activa 3G vs Activa 125 - Front 3 Quarters View
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-7.-3g-vs-125-3-quaters.jpg

Activa 3G vs Activa 125 - Front Suspension
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-8.-3g-vs-125-front-suspension.jpg

Activa 3G vs Activa 125 - Pillion's View
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-9.-3g-vs-125-pillon-view.jpg

Activa 3G vs Activa 125 - Grab rail
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-10.-3g-vs-125-grab-rail.jpg

Activa Emblems
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-11.-activa-monicker-comparo.jpg

Instrumentation Console Comparison
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-12.-instrumentation-console-comparo.jpg

Last edited by a4anurag : 25th June 2016 at 13:43.
a4anurag is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th June 2016, 14:23   #11
BANNED

Accessories & Tools bought for the Activa 125

With 15 days of ownership, she'll be shortly going for the Permanent Registration at the RTA on Monday to get herself a permanent identity.

I have bought the following stuff for the scooter till now to do DIY's.
  1. Osram Silverstar HS1 (35/35W) = ₹140 x 2 = ₹ 280 a pair

2. Front & Rear Number plate holder like we see in cars (HSRP Compatible) = ₹240 for the set

3. LED's to replace the existing Tail/Stop light and all Flashers OEM bulbs - Had it in stock from earlier DIY's

4. Solid state Flasher relay = ₹115

5. Inductive Tachometer - For tuning/Setting the right idling - ₹417

__________________________________________________ __________

Some Images:

Osram Silverstar HS1 (35/35W)
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-img_20160301_050139.jpg

Number Plate Holder
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-number-plate-holder.jpg

Inductive Tachometer
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-screenshot_20160624041106.png

__________________________________________________ _________

Links to purchase:

1. Osram Silverstar 35/35W

2. Number Plate Holder

3. Solid state Flasher Relay

5. Inductive Tachometer for Motorcycles

I am just posting it here in short. There will be detailed DIY thread's for each to benefit all members and I'll link those individual DIY threads to my ownership post for a easier searching and reading.

That's it for now guys. Shall post more updates as and when there are. Appreciate the comments and feedback (Positive & Negative accepted) on my review most welcome.

PS: All pictures clicked using my OnePlus One. I don't have a DSLR for shooting good quality images. Apologies for the same.

Thanks for reading guys.

Last edited by a4anurag : 25th June 2016 at 19:57.
a4anurag is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 07:44   #12
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorbikes Section. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 08:31   #13
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations on the Activa!

I picked up the 3G a few weeks back. Weight of the 125 was the reason why I decided the 3G over it since the bike is primarily for my wife/mum.

About 12 years ago, we had a choice to make: Kinetic ZX or Activa. Given that we had already had a Kinetic Honda which was 15 years old then, we went ahead with Kinetic again.

Needless to say, the company folded and spares stopped being available within five years. Had we chosen the Activa, it'd probably still be in the garage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Lights:
  • Phoenix is the OEM supplier for the headlamp bulb with a 35/35W HS1 type bulb. This is the average rating used by manufacturers used in the two-wheeler industry. IMO it is weak for regular usage too. I don’t find anything good in the Activa’s headlight as it is AC setup. This feeling is in my head as I am used to Karizma’s beautiful headlight even though it was rated at 35W. Difference being better reflector design and DC setup as compared to AC setup on the Activa.

• The beam spread is flat but not powerful enough to keep riding with the low beam. It gets difficult to spot road undulations when speeds are above 50 kmph whereas the high beam is sharp and focuses well ahead of the scooter to keep me warning of stuff at higher speeds. An upgrade in bulb is a must as upgrade in rating is difficult. I am looking at replacing the headlight bulb too. Rest of the lights is good enough!

• One thing I find amusing is why no manufacturer in the country adjusts the headlight correctly prior to dispatching it to the dealer?! Why is it set in such a way that the high beam points to the trees/branches rather than lighting up the road for which it was designed in the first place. Sad to see no manufacturer adapt and give it to the customer at the 'right' height that doesn't harm the oncoming vehicles and bird on the trees. This is the first thing I did during the night ride on my Activa.
Lights are the main sore point with the Activa 3G as well. I'm unhappy with the low beam as well; it is not pointed right, neither is it powerful enough.

How did you adjust the headlight to point it correctly on the road?

Could you please post before/after pics once you've done the headlight bulb change? Do you plan to do it at home/dealer?

I will be taking this up urgently; I'm absolutely not confident riding it at night on non-lighted streets.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 26th June 2016 at 08:33.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 08:37   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Congratulations on the Activa!
Thank you buddy and Congratulations to you too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
How did you adjust the headlight to point it correctly on the road?
I am not upgrading the rating per say! I have bought a pair of Osram Silverstar HS1 35/35W. It is better than OEM bulbs but there is a inherent problem of a horizontal shadow due to bad reflector design.

Regarding the adjustment, there is a screw at the base of the headlamp housing connected to the reflector casing. Just loosen that nut and slide it backwards till you are comfortable with and then re-tighten the screw.

Last edited by a4anurag : 26th June 2016 at 08:40.
a4anurag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 10:46   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome review and congratulations on the Activa 125!! Rated your comprehensive thread a well deserved 5*.

Although it won't be as exciting as your erstwhile Karizma or your upcoming Thunderbird 500(I'm sure you won't rest until you get it ), it will be a reliable workhorse for sure. It's as reliable an automatic scooter can get.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks