Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2016, 16:05   #16
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)

Hello Aargee,

What's the RDD generator? Is it some kind of a relay or cutout? Any link to this product?
Old 19th July 2016, 17:51   #17
BHPian

Excellent work, v12! The bike's starting to look amazing. Keep up the good work and do keep us updated.
sainyamk95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 22:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
What's the RDD generator? Is it some kind of a relay or cutout? Any link to this product?
This is the generator - http://www.rddreams.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=252431

If you have timing gun (or if you can send someone to Chennai, I can share my timing gun) install RDD digital CDI - http://www.rddreams.com/forum/viewto...=19427#p208369

If you've questions, register at rddreams.com This has wealth of info that you can no way go wrong + every second time spent on this site is life & time spent well.

Or here - https://www.facebook.com/groups/rddreams/

PS - Pls go through word by word, line by line, before you ask any questions on them as those topics have been discussed a zillion times

Last edited by aargee : 19th July 2016 at 22:14.
aargee is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 10:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Just read about your headlights; are you also opting for RDD generator as well? Personally, its a SUPER DUPER upgrade which is worth & simply straightforward direct fit. Unless you're planning to retard or advance the timing, it gives a great benefit on the headlight throw. Pls consider.
Are the RDD generators available these days , I wanted one for my RD, but ended modifying the Allied Stator plate to accommodate a pulsar coil. These RDD 90/100 kits are only available for complete RD engine builds from RDD and has a long waiting list. You are lucky you invested in one during the time they were available in plenty

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 11:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Are the RDD generators available these days ...You are lucky you invested in one during the time they were available in plenty
Not sure; last I heard was the digital CDI kits now a days are fully dependent on the battery & best part being even with a faulty wiring or harness (without proper Earthing), they can withstand the short circuit.

If you call me lucky...my RDD CDI kit conked off after a day or week (don't recall) after I had figured out & set the timing right, which was less than a month from purchasing the CDI.

By then the temporarily stopped selling as there were new units being dispatched & I moved on to more on riding my CPR than experimenting with Rx.

But yes, if you can get hold of a RDD generator...just go for it; its a much needy upgrade than anything else; I'm sure there will be resellers of RDD (probably need to have deep pockets or good connection)

Edit - The 90/100 kits are 100% compatible with Rx series as well even for a stock engine built even out of RDD; I got mine in 2010

Last edited by aargee : 20th July 2016 at 11:38.
aargee is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 11:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Edit - The 90/100 kits are 100% compatible with Rx series as well even for a stock engine built even out of RDD; I got mine in 2010
I meant, he sells them as part of the package, not available as a stand alone part.

Did you get your kit fixed? the shogun components stator coils are the best source for parts for the kit. If you need any specific component, let me know. I have 2-3 coils lying around. If its the pulsar then I have one as well.

Well regarding deep pockets, maintaining these bikes to their prime condition itself is a big ask

with the way the black market has come up I don't think maintaining one in future would be easy.

@ V12 If its just the lighting, you can buy an allied stator and add a pulsar coil to that.

pramod
Old 20th July 2016, 12:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I meant, he sells them as part of the package, not available as a stand alone part
Even better then

Quote:
Did you get your kit fixed? the shogun components stator coils are the best source for parts for the kit. If you need any specific component, let me know. I have 2-3 coils lying around. If its the pulsar then I have one as well
My generator is good; only the CDI kit conked off; I'm not in a mood to fix it again; I was badly hunting for Mikuni VM22 carb for a year or so (when VM18 was available in abundant) then I had given up. My Rx is stuttering due to some O-rings worn out inside the carb & instead of fixing them, I wish to change the whole carb as such. By then the feeling of a modern day motorcycle like CPR has spoiled me & Rx has taken a back seat.

It just comes out once a while in 6 months or so :(

Quote:
Well regarding deep pockets, maintaining these bikes to their prime condition itself is a big ask
Strongly agree

Quote:
with the way the black market has come up I don't think maintaining one in future would be easy
Cent percent true; add to that, most people don't have the knowledge & patience to learn will leave a bitter experience with 2 strokes as well

Quote:
If its just the lighting, you can buy an allied stator and add a pulsar coil to that
More than that, RDD's light weight magnet is one of the key value than winding the coil

pramod[/quote]
Old 20th July 2016, 13:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
More than that, RDD's light weight magnet is one of the key value than winding the coil
Isn't that a reinforced shogun magnet?

I have a stock pile of VM22 Carbs, both 4 speed and 5 speed

Pramod
Old 20th July 2016, 14:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't that a reinforced shogun magnet?
From TVS yes; I remember someone saying (bad mouthing) as Samurai. To me, whatever be it, it did & still does a super job & I'm quite happy about it

Quote:
I have a stock pile of VM22 Carbs, both 4 speed and 5 speed
Good; if you have in excess & willing to trade, please let me know; would like to fit one on my Rx on account of bad sputtering.
Old 22nd July 2016, 01:28   #25
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry for the late response guys - was wondering what to respond on the suggestions the stuff was too technical for me to understand. If you could simplify it would be great. Do I have to do all this coil, magnet, stator etc stuff because if the Pulsar headlight? Can the light not working on the RX100s stock setup?
Old 22nd July 2016, 06:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the late response guys - was wondering what to respond on the suggestions the stuff was too technical for me to understand. If you could simplify it would be great. Do I have to do all this coil, magnet, stator etc stuff because if the Pulsar headlight? Can the light not working on the RX100s stock setup?
Ok, I'll summarize in short sentences, if you want anything more, expand them on their points.

1. Can I run Rx100/135 with stock setup?
Yes; stock uses 12V 35W headlight with poor reflector which is nearly good as any 100/125 motorcycle today

2. Do I have to do all this coil magnet stator plate etc?
Yes - If you want bright 60/55 or 100/90 headlight setup
No - If you're happy with 35W output

3. Can the light not work on Rx100 stock setup?
Yes; as answered in #1

If you need more on stator plate, coil, pulsar, CDI, pls putforth the question here & we'll elaborate
Old 23rd July 2016, 02:07   #27
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for your PM and the explanation above Aargee. Currently plan to keep the stock 35W setup since I find that pretty good enough. Will wait for the bike to be completed and will definitely have more questions once I have decided to go for this. Thank you again!

Not much to update at the moment. The engine and the front end have been installed. Not sure what's happening on the tank - but will keep you guys posted tomorrow.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2016, 16:22   #28
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Update : The tank is still black and will be painted after the rest of the bike is assembled. The bike is actually looking good with the black alloys and the lower stance. Agreed it had lost some of its classic character bit it looks a bit more modern now.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-psx_20160723_155359.jpg  

Old 25th July 2016, 10:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update : The tank is still black and will be painted after the rest of the bike is assembled. The bike is actually looking good with the black alloys and the lower stance. Agreed it had lost some of its classic character bit it looks a bit more modern now.

The present beam would improve lighting, even with the stock lighting coil, the front end looks sweet, I have similar(Boxer CT) dome on my Rx 100, I am, very happy with the usability of the bike especially during night.

Pramod
Old 25th July 2016, 23:09   #30
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Pramod! Yes, I think the front looks better with a bigger headlight - looks more beefier in fact. Waiting to see how the rear mudguard would look once it is fitted. It looks big in the big but in fact it's much smaller. Don't think it would look bad since the bike is lowered. Will have to wait and see. Might have a problem of muck being thrown up - but have to check it out once it is fitted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks