Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2019, 20:04   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Thanks Ku69rd and Nitro for your feedback. I guess I will stay away from these mods then. The reason I asked was because a friend was planning to sell his P200 and I was wondering if the good parts could be swapped with the RX100. Guess it's a no then. Thank you
P200 doesn’t have anything that can be transplanted on a rx. If you like the rx to have a better front brake, I suggest you go with the below setups in my order of preference.

A gladiator setup. It’s direct fit and looks awesome, the only downside is the price. There is no proper rebuild kit available for the gladiator caliper, so future is going to be dodgy in terms of upkeep. You get oil seals and o-rings, but that’s not enough. This setup doesn’t hamper the height nor does it hamper the suspension geometry, you can use your stock fendor with these.

Second one is the Apache + fiero setup, get a fiero f2 hub and disk adapter plate, rest all from Apache. The upside is every single thing is available. Downside is Apache is slightly taller than the RX. Finding a fiero hub is not easy.

Honda shine like mahesh mentioned

Finally what the masses like, the pulsar classic setup.

If you have any specific questions feel free to shoot me a PM

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 13:05   #62
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks a lot guys for the feedback. I will not be going ahead with the P200 parts swap. Did check with a few people or tere swap and they said anything is possible - but after the swap, the bike will not be as asice or nimble as the RX. so I am Sticking to stuck parts.

I am planning on getting themechanicals sorted out first. Then head on to getting it back to stock. Looking for parts for it and I have come across Safexbikes.com who have OE Yamaha parts as well as Zadon (which I believe is a local company). Has anyone ordered from them? How OE are their OE parts? Whats the delivery period?

Any other online /offline source?
Old 26th November 2020, 22:20   #63
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Its now been 4 years since I retro-modded the RX100. And I have really enjoyed the mods - especially the braking and the suspension. I wont say that the suspension is much better than the stock one, but it's good enough. All good things come to an end. Its the same with the RX100 mods. The cons of the mod outweigh the Pro's. The bike being lower now, bottoms out on speed breakers with pillion. Also because the bike is lower, it is easy to mount and comfortable on short rides - but on long rides it can get painful. Also being almost 6 feet - i look like an elephant sitting on a mouse. With the lockdown Kicking in , the Rx100 proved a boon town small errands - but frankly speaking nothing beats a scooter.

I don't know whats with November and December and me. These 2 months always make my mind go towards selling my motorcycle. It happened with the 1800, the KTM and the versys. And now its happening with the Rx 100. I have been thinking about selling it and buying a scooter for the last 2 months. Have been holding onto it for a couple of days - but I cannot let the RX go. I know it is a decision that I will regret I like the RXZ and the RX 100 cafe racer). So I have finally decided to keep it, get her fixed mechanically, get new parts, get it back to stock, repaint it. And after all that is done, get a good cover find a closed garage and store it safe.

Obviously I will be using it occasionally, but not as a beater bike. Can probably get a second hand Active for daily use.

So the hunt is on for a good shop ( offline or online) where I can source parts.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 9th December 2020 at 00:30. Reason: Minor typos. Thanks.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 19:53   #64
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Guys, I would need some help from the RX experts. I have cordered most of the parts for the RX. There are some parts that I need help on the availability and contacts.

Front Suspension
Rear Suspension
Front wheel + Spokes + Hub + Drum
complete Nut Bolt kit
Clutch Assembly

Thank You!
Old 8th December 2020, 22:35   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There are some parts that I need help on the availability and contacts.

Front Suspension
Rear Suspension
complete Nut Bolt kit
Clutch Assembly
You got a PM for contact
For Rim & Spokes, you can consider from Hero Honda Splendor (Front wheel spokes)
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 18:11   #66
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally got the Fitness Certificate renewed for the RX100. There were a couple of RX100's that had come to renew their vehicle today. Those with color changes against the RC book were rejected and asked to either repaint or change tank/panels to match RC book.

Happy that I decided not to change the color. So with this done, I have no worries now for the next 5 years. I can now start with dismantling the bike and restore it to its stock glory.

Can anyone please help me with the original tank/pand stickering on a 1994 RX 100. The original color is black and I want to retain it. was the original paint metallic or solid ? Can anyone help me with the paint code?

Here is a picture of the RX100. It may look like its ok - but its pretty buggered up.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-img_20201230_141511.jpg  

v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 11:46   #67
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello All, It's been a long time since I posted an update on my RX 100. I would like to start off with a huge "THANKS" for all your help and advice against the P200 parts swap. The P200 has now been scrapped and the Rx has been restored to its complete originality.

It was a tough decision for me whether to (i) resto-mod it (ii) mod into a cafe racer (iii) get it back to stock or (iv) sell it. Yes, I did consider selling the RX at one point. That was the point where I had given up all hopes of finding a decent mechanic. A couple of close friends Suggested me to try out Yogi Chhabria from YCDesigns. One of them had got his Rx done from him and vouched for him. Spoke to him and one day took my bike to him. One short ride and he could figure out what was wrong with the bike. He suggested to leave the bike for an engine and gearbox rebuild.* The tank too was rusted and he helped to source an original Yamaha tank for me. Almost 15-20 days later got the RX back from him and I couldnt believe my RX could sound and run that well. It felt amazing. The most crucial part of the RX was fixed and I could now focus on moving forward.
Thank You very much Yogi / YC Design.
YCDesigns - Kinjal Towers, Pais St, Byculla West, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400011

The rest of the job on the Rx only involved getting the chassis and engine painted. And obviously ordering all new parts. Literally everything on the bike is now new. Most of the parts are original Yamaha ones (almost 80%) except for a few like the rear suspension (Endurance, cos Gabriel was not in stock) and the chain cover.
The parts were sourced from various places
1. Bhagwati Auto, Mumbai
2. Star Yamaha, Mumbai
3. Shashank from Bangalore
4. Seana Auto Spares (Suggested by Mr. Boss)

A big thanks to all of the albow for their help in shipping /supplying the parts.

You will not believe, but my living room had turned into a go down since the past 9 months. The first set of parts arrived from Bangalore in November last year. Over the next few months, I kept making a list of the pending parts and got most of them from Seana Auto Spares.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-whatsapp-image-20210821-11.38.53-2.jpeg  

Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-whatsapp-image-20210821-11.38.53-1.jpeg  

Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-whatsapp-image-20210821-11.38.54.jpeg  

Last edited by v12 : 21st August 2021 at 11:48.
v12 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 02:18   #68
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally the yamaha is back home )
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-img_20211102_021149_739.jpg  

Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-img_20211102_021149_863.jpg  

Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-img_20211102_021149_938.jpg  

v12 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 06:43   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know what made you post it here!! Coincidentally I was going through you whole thread & dismissed the thought of asking any update

And today I'm seeing this beauty; It's quite awesome to have found the butterfly crash guard & carrier & I'm sure they're not OE, but still worth the beauty

Except the oil meter, rear suspension & missing dust cover on the front suspension (perhaps the front tire size?), it looks authentic restoration

The problem with such restoration is that, whether used or unused, all the chromes goes dirty first, then the black paint starts getting dull & the beauty vanishes. More than restoration, it's more difficult preserving the beauty.

Last edited by aargee : 2nd November 2021 at 06:46.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 14:38   #70
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks aargee for the compliment. So the RX was ready since a month but I couldn't get it home due to my parking being full (Tiger, Duke and Access). I finally let go of the Tiger last week (will post details on the Tiger thread) and then had place for rhe RX.

Feels really good to have it back and it runs like a proper RX. God alone knows why I had modified it the way I modified it. I am really happy to get it back to stock now and it's so comfortable.

With regards to the guard and the rack, yes, these are not OE Yamaha parts but was difficult to source the original ones. But these are damn good quality so I didn't mind.

The tyres are 2.75 front and 3.00 rear.

Looking forwards to using this regularly now.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 15:35   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Feels really good to have it back and it runs like a proper RX...I am really happy to get it back to stock now and it's so comfortable
No, you're not alone; many folks who've done the mods (including yours truly) revert to stock at some point in their long term love affair. I got mine serviced last week & I simply want to keep riding but for the sudden outpour in Chennai.

Quote:
difficult to source the original ones
If you know someone who can get zinc coating done, it's absolutely worth getting it done followed by chrome which helps in long term to maintain it shiny.

As for me, I'm still in search who can get this done in Chennai
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 19:20   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Great work mate. Looks clean and thank heavens you didn't swap the p200 parts, or this might have gone to the scrapyard in no time.

I see you have gone overboard with the saree guards and carriers . It's almost like the bike is maturing along with you .

Keep the rubber side down and enjoy it

Cheers.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 20:32   #73
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
No, you're not alone; many folks who've done the mods (including yours truly) revert to stock at some point in their long term love affair. I got mine serviced last week & I simply want to keep riding but for the sudden outpour in Chennai.

If you know someone who can get zinc coating done, it's absolutely worth getting it done followed by chrome which helps in long term to maintain it shiny.

Staying close to the sea does take its toll on the chrome parts. I plan to just wipe the bike with a wet doth than wash it so there are less chances of rust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
Great work mate. Looks clean and thank heavens you didn't swap the p200 parts, or this might have gone to the scrapyard in no time.

I see you have gone overboard with the saree guards and carriers . It's almost like the bike is maturing along with you .

Keep the rubber side down and enjoy it

Cheers.
Agree with you nitro, I am happy I did not go with the swap. The 17 in ride height was really uncomfortable. with these 18-in wheels it feels good.
with regards to the saree guard and rack, Yes I wanted to go all original and loaded as possible - hence opted for these parts. I am sure they will never be used, but they look damn classy.

All in all - I am really happy I took all of your suggestion of not swapping the pants with the P200. that would have been a disaster.

Thank You Guys!
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 21:24   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Staying close to the sea does take its toll on the chrome parts. I plan to just wipe the bike with a wet doth than wash it so there are less chances of rust
Sir, like you, even I'm closer to sea, the only parts that hasn't rusted on my Yamaha are the front & rear wheels. Why? They're made by Hero Honda!! What's so special? Those days they were the most expensive compared to their rivalries. Why expensive? Zinc coating made all the difference.

Can you believe even after 20 years the wheels have hardly any rust on them? It's hard for me to believe as well, let me take a picture & post it for you tomorrow, if you don't mind please?

Quote:
Yes I wanted to go all original and loaded as possible - hence opted for these parts. I am sure they will never be used, but they look damn classy
Not just classy, for a few seconds I was reminded of the nostalgic 2 stroke era flashing KB100, AX100, Rx100 - Shogun rivals & even the square headlamps of CD100!! During my college days, I used to burn with envy & worship all possible profanity on Uncles who were riding Rx100 dead slow & wish they never deserved this bike. Just one picture, bought back all those memories for brief moments while lustfully admiring your Rx.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 21:52   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats, Drool worthy stuff
Do post some day light snaps,

Quote:
Except the oil meter, rear suspension & missing dust cover on the front suspension (perhaps the front tire size?), it looks authentic restoration
You missed the missing black ring & YEIS in engine case, later gen chain guard, different colored RVMs, missing fuel filter

Quote:
I finally let go of the Tiger last week
Any specific reason? Or something bigger and better is on the way?

Quote:
No, you're not alone; many folks who've done the mods (including yours truly) revert to stock at some point in their long term love affair.
True.
Except for my very 1st RX others are always stock (though I had plans towards Scrambler and cafe racer modification)

Quote:
Reach my mechanic for contacts, we used to get it done from multiple sources including one close to Andra border.

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 2nd November 2021 at 21:57.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks