Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2016, 16:39   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)

My tryst with the Yamah RX series dates back to 2 decades ago - around 1997 when I was looking to upgrade from a Kinetic Honda to a geared Motorcycle. As all young and college going kids, I was always attracted to the Yamaha RX100 and wanted that as my first motorcyxle. Friends described it as "The" bike that you should start learning on along with a warning of not leaving the clutch too quickly - lest the front wheel would pop up a wheelie. That sounded quite dangerous and at the same time very exciting.

The year was 1997 and the RX100 was out of production and replaced by the RX-135. When I walked into the showroom, I couldn't take my eyes off the RX-135. It looked the same as the 100 - but was a bit more powerful. I immediately decided that this would be my first motorcycle and told my dad and the dealer that I want to book it asap. The dealer also asked me to take a look at the newly launched RX-Z too since it was more superior and a modern and sporty design. Yes, it did look sporty and better (subjective) - but I liked the classic look of the RX. He however convinced me on it being a better motorcycle than the RX135 so I went ahead and booked it - a black/red RX-Z 4 speed. The Yamaha episode ended with me selling the Z after a few years and replacing it with the Kawasaki Eliminator.

I had the Eliminator for around 3 years after which I started to look for an upgrade. The only upgrade on my mind was either the Yamaha RD350 or the Enfield Bullet. Yamaha, in those years had killed their 2-stoke motorcycles and were selling Cruz's and Libero's. I thought I was done with the Yamaha and it was now time to move on to other bikes. But the Yamaha RX was like a ghost - it never left me. It came back to haunt me a couple of years ago when I was looking for a 2nd bike. I bought a used RX100 (88 model) and transformed it into a very beautiful Cafe Racer. I enjoyed riding the Cafe and the Cafe enjoyed breaking my back. Life with the Yamaha went on till a point when I just stopped using it. It was too impractical - worse turning radius than the Z, bad seating position, crappy rear brakes because of the rear sets. So I got it back to stock condition hoping to use it as a daily ride. Things didn't go as planned - ride was quite uncomfortable even with those SnS rear suspension. Back pain worsened so I sold it and told mysel I will never buy an RX again.

In the meanwhile, I helped 2 of my close friends pick up an RX100 and RX135 4 Speed. The 100 was a well maintained single owner vehicle and the 135 was owned by a million people before my friend bought it. Both bikes were restored to their stock conditions - no cafe wafe stuff. While the 100 was used very regularly, the 135 was sparingly used and was eventually replaced with a Unicorn.

The restored RX135
Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-photogrid_1464815706657.jpg

The RX100 when delivered to my friend.
Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-dsc01820.jpg

Since my RX100 friend was going to keep the bike for a long time, he decided to get a minor restoration done. Included a paint job, rechroming some parts and replacing some. The bike was used as his daily ride and he was very happy and proud of it.
Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-img00010-22.jpg

So this year his plans to relocate to the US finally worked and he to sell of the bike. I suggested him to put the bike on OLX or Quikr and check what offer he was getting. But it seems he had other plans. He decided to give it to me before leaving knowing that I would take very good care of it. I was in 2 minds whether to keep it or ask him to sell it. Keeping the bike would mean getting the passing, green tax and insurance done. And then doing up the bike - all this would easily cost more than the value of rhe bike. Mind said no but the heart aaid go ahead. Thats the thing about the RX is. - you develop a feeling, a bonding, a relationship that you wouldn't want to let go. Like they say it's a legacy you would want to pass on. So I went with my heart and decided to keep the RX.

Also I was looking for a second bike or scooter for commuting - can't use the Z everywhere I go. The RX would be a good option but not as comfortable and versatile as an Activa. But then again the Activa would no ways be as much fun as the RX. So I decided to keep the RX with me. Initial plans were to use the bike on its current stock condition and slowly do it up mechanically. So I rode it for a month and a half - enjoyed zipping through traffic. The only things I found crappy were the brakes, tyres and suspension. The brakes were non existent, the tyres were skinny and the suspension crappy. Started looking at suspension options and the only tried and tested ones were the Endurance gas shock absorbers from the Pulsar. The same with the front suspension and disc setup. That's it... Nothing more than that. I wasn't planning on any other mod on it but I couldn't control that itch. So what was it going to be... Cafe racer, classic look, etc. To keep it very comfortable and to be able to use it as a daily ride - I decided to stick to the essentials and to transform this a modern RX100.

So sit back and enjoy the Retro-Mod story.

The bike when my friend bought it. Original condition. Single owner, original keys, all papers intact. The owner had preserved the original papers, invoice and the handbook as well.
Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-psx_20160223_151928.jpg

Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-psx_20160317_194251.jpg

Finally the bike comes to me this year.
Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-picsart_052201.44.36.jpg

Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-picsart_071704.12.11.jpg

The bike next to its elder brother.
Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-picsart_022803.53.07.jpg
v12 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 17:09   #2
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)

Parts and Accessories
After reading through numerous threads here and on xbhp - the Pulsar 150 and the Gladiator were short listed for the disc brake setup. Initially I had thought of getting the entire front end of the Gladiator (brand new). But then it would have turned out to be very expensive. Many suggested to go for 2nd hand from a scrap bike. So went to CST Road one Sunday and got a good deal on the F/R suspension, alloys, disc brake setup with cables and levers. All for just 5k. Although it was a good deal - most important lesson learnt was to always take your mechanic with you. Things that I should have also bought (or given) was the axle and the distance.

Anyways, my mechanics suggestion was once the parts are fitted - I ride the bike for a week and see how the whole setup was. Once I confirm all was good, we could open it up for painting. Problem was I needed a pair of 17 in tyres for a week since I had not bought new tyres yet. Thankfully a close friend was kind enough to lend me his P150 tyres for a week.

The bike with the front wheel fitted. The rear took some time because the axle and distance were missing.
Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-img_20160525_133316.jpg

Meanwhile, I also received a pair of LED indicators and a short rear mudguard with an LED tail light.
Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-psx_20160512_023120.jpg

The rear tyre being a 100/90 could not be fitted because it was touching the chain guard. It wasn't fitting even after removing the chain guard.
Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-psx_20160526_000357.jpg

So got the original spoke rims back on the bike. Meanwhile I got the Continental Metro Revolution 3.00x17 tyre for the rear and Michelin Sirac Street 2.75x17 for the front.

Finally after a month of waiting - the RX was opened up.
Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-picsart_062008.47.40.jpg

Epoxy paint was applied to the chasis, tank and other parts.
Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-picsart_062205.15.38.jpg

Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-picsart_062205.21.51.jpg

Alloy lip sticker arrived
Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-psx_20160622_170844.jpg

The most confusing part - choosing the right paint from a list of 1000 colors and then choosing the right shade from another 1000 shades.
Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-psx_20160622_170755.jpg

Choosing the headlight was not a difficult task. The headlight had to be round and I could think of no other bike than the Classic Pulsar or the Boxer. For a moment, I did think of doing something different and install the Navi headlight. But then didn't want to lose the classic character - so stuck with the round headlight.

Next on the list was the front mudguard. Although I wanted to retain the original chrome mudguard - I decided against it for 2 reasons. 1. It was not a direct fit on the Pulsar forks and 2. I wanted minimal steel / chrome parts on the bike. The only option left was the Pulsar mudguard. Sadly there are very limited or no options for retrofitting bike parts across brands.

Things had come to a standstill for almost 3 weeks since then painter had gone to his native place. When the tank was finally painted , I was shocked - it was painted black. And that was not what I wanted - seems there was some misunderstanding. The black paint looked good and I was reconsidering whether to keep it as black or go with my original choice. After a lot of thinking - decided to repaint it.

Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-picsart_071406.34.52.jpg
The following parts had to be replaced :
Nut bolt kit
Rubber kit
Panels - both sides
Yamaha and RX100 emblems
Wiring kit
Front Mudguard
Handlebar (Pulsar)
Fork oil seal / fork oil
Steering cone set
v12 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 09:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
After reading through numerous threads here and on xbhp - the Pulsar 150 and the Gladiator were short listed for the disc brake setup. Initially I had thought of getting the entire front end of the Gladiator (brand new). But then it would have turned out to be very expensive. Many suggested to go for 2nd hand from a scrap bike
Cheap & best setup would've been...
- Rx100/135 LHS front fork assy
- Gladiator RHS (bottom) fork set, top being Rx100/135
- Gladiator disc assy

That way cost would've worked out even less
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 11:49   #4
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

True Aargee! I wasn't very sure if we could use one side of the RX and the other of the Gladiator. Also I got a good deal on the Pulsar suspension - front/rear suspension, alloys and front disc kit for just 5k. The braking has really improved - feel like I am riding an RX100 and braking a Pulsar

I am looking to change the exhaust. While the original RX100 silencer is available, I wanted to know if it is possible to fit the RX-Z silencer (4 speed).
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 11:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True Aargee! I wasn't very sure if we could use one side of the RX and the other of the Gladiator.
It is not a direct fit, the left fork requires some machining.

Quote:
Also I got a good deal on the Pulsar suspension - front/rear suspension, alloys and front disc kit for just 5k. The braking has really improved - feel like I am riding an RX100 and braking a Pulsar

I am looking to change the exhaust. While the original RX100 silencer is available, I wanted to know if it is possible to fit the RX-Z silencer (4 speed).

The RXZ silencer can be fitted in the Rx 100, it would be little bit louder than your stock RX 100.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 12:04   #6
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
It is not a direct fit, the left fork requires some machining.
Ah ok, the Pulsar ones fitted without any modifications.

Quote:
The RXZ silencer can be fitted in the Rx 100, it would be little bit louder than your stock RX 100.

Pramod
Thanks Pramod! Is it a direct fit on the RX100 bend pipe or do I have to change the bend pipe too? Any idea if it will touch the footpegs cos I believe the RX-Z exhaust is a bit upswept.
Old 18th July 2016, 12:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ah ok, the Pulsar ones fitted without any modifications. .
It is again an issue if you are using a steel mudguard, the pulsar ones have holes at different points than the RX(obviously) you can either use a pulsar mudguard or drill fresh holes in the RX mudguard. The machining on an RX fork to take a gladiator hub is not a showstopper and it needs to be modified to take the gladiator speedo worm, there is a small tang which needs to be filed to correct specs. Another challenge is taking all this to the lathe for getting the fix right.

Quote:
Thanks Pramod! Is it a direct fit on the RX100 bend pipe or do I have to change the bend pipe too? Any idea if it will touch the footpegs cos I believe the RX-Z exhaust is a bit upswept.
The Bend pipes are same for all the RX series as far as I know, could be different I will confirm. It is upswept but it will clear the foot pegs since the L brackets that holds the foot pegs are same(part number) and only if its a 5 speed cat the L Bracket has a mounting point for the cat.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 16:21   #8
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is again an issue if you are using a steel mudguard, the pulsar ones have holes at different points than the RX(obviously) you can either use a pulsar mudguard or drill fresh holes in the RX mudguard. The machining on an RX fork to take a gladiator hub is not a showstopper and it needs to be modified to take the gladiator speedo worm, there is a small tang which needs to be filed to correct specs. Another challenge is taking all this to the lathe for getting the fix right.
The front mudguard I am fitting will be of the Pulsar only. Basically the entire front end would be of rhe P150.

Quote:
The Bend pipes are same for all the RX series as far as I know, could be different I will confirm. It is upswept but it will clear the foot pegs since the L brackets that holds the foot pegs are same(part number) and only if its a 5 speed cat the L Bracket has a mounting point for the cat.

Pramod
That's great news! Tried checking for the RX-Z exhaust but all of them say it's not available so will have to go for the RX exhaust only. The current ones are good and are the original ones - but they look quite old. Will try to refurbish it else will go for the new ones.
Old 18th July 2016, 21:15   #9
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is the progress on the wheels. Matt black with a bit of shine. The wheel lip that I ordered are quite thick and I am looking for thinner ones. Can someone please let me know where I can get thinner wheel lips.

Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-yamaha-rx100-wheel.jpg
v12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 13:21   #10
BHPian

Quote:
The front mudguard I am fitting will be of the Pulsar only. Basically the entire front end would be of rhe P150.

That's great news! Tried checking for the RX-Z exhaust but all of them say it's not available so will have to go for the RX exhaust only. The current ones are good and are the original ones - but they look quite old. Will try to refurbish it else will go for the new ones.
Why not a KRP or Proton exhaust with an inbuilt expansion chamber? It will help you liberate a bit more power and sound good too.
Old 19th July 2016, 13:47   #11
BHPian

Really nice work . Takes me back to my RX100 days. My last 2 stroke was a RXZ 5 Speed (one of the last ones to come off the production line).

While on paper the bike was a rocket, the initial ownership experience was not something to write home about. While it sported a 2 piston caliper disc in the front, right from day 1 the brakes were dead and had a wooden feeling. Upon checking the assembly I found that 1 of the pistons had seized and was not working at all. After cleaning the whole assembly it worked well for about couple of months and the seized up again. This became a regular feature of the bike. Every 3 to 4 months the disc had to be worked upon to make the brakes more liveable with. Also the stock brake pad materials was so bad that it left deep serration marks on the discs. So bad that I had to change the discs twice.

The other problem was the gearbox. For some reason the gearbox just would not free up and was hard to shift through.

The only choice left was to strip the engine down and blue print it. Had to get the gears undercut and polished to mate them perfectly. Had to install a new cylinder and head as there was warping of the head (I had not touched the head assembly till that point). Some moron at the assembly line had over torqued the head assembly.

After blue printing the engine it worked like a dream. Gave away the bike as I could not take care of it due to increasing work commitments which kept me out of town.

One tip: The RX 100 (11bhp) has a VM 18 carb. The RXS 100 (12bhp) which was sold in UK and Europe had a VM 20 carb. The cylinder and head along with port timings is identical. Just bolt on the VM 20 carb and it will make an already responsive engine much more responsive and will add 1bhp to the power curve. Add the inlet manifold from the RX135 or RXZ along with boost bottle (Yamaha Energy Induction System) and it will be even better.

Last edited by PratikPatel : 19th July 2016 at 13:54.
PratikPatel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 14:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

The rear wheel is going to be fitted on the RX swingarm or the Pulsar swingarm? As I had suggested earlier, it is better to go with the full Pulsar setup at the rear as well. With the RX swing arm you will have to do a lot of machining to make all parts fit and plus the pulsar shocks won't work well due to the shorter length of the RX swingarm.
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 14:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will say one word - Headache!
Sorry about the late reply & I fully agree with @pramodkumar on his reply

Quote:
It is not a direct fit, the left fork requires some machining
Direct fit & only the spacers in the top needs a change. I initially had a plan to change the gladiators bottom to silver (stock is black) & fitted only one side. Then next day I realized I'm too lazy to do the painting & got the other side also fitted; fortunately I had bought pair of spacers.

PS - Just realized there are 2 models in Gladiator; the one I'm talking about is old one (first batch/initial launch) which I got, not sure about new model

Last edited by aargee : 19th July 2016 at 14:27.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 15:16   #14
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmunster View Post
Why not a KRP or Proton exhaust with an inbuilt expansion chamber? It will help you liberate a bit more power and sound good too.
No - not looking for more power and sound, that's why want to stick to the original exhaust. The Proton and KRP can get loud at times. And nowdays with cops coming down heavily on modified exhausts / loud bikes - don't want to take the risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratikPatel View Post
Really nice work . Takes me back to my RX100 days. My last 2 stroke was a RXZ 5 Speed (one of the last ones to come off the production line).

While on paper the bike was a rocket, the initial ownership experience was not something to write home about. While it sported a 2 piston caliper disc in the front, right from day 1 the brakes were dead and had a wooden feeling. Upon checking the assembly I found that 1 of the pistons had seized and was not working at all. After cleaning the whole assembly it worked well for about couple of months and the seized up again. This became a regular feature of the bike. Every 3 to 4 months the disc had to be worked upon to make the brakes more liveable with. Also the stock brake pad materials was so bad that it left deep serration marks on the discs. So bad that I had to change the discs twice.

Sad to hear that Pratik - other than the front suspension making a "kat-kat" sound while going over bad roads and speed breakers - I had no problems with my 4-Speed RX-Z.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
The rear wheel is going to be fitted on the RX swingarm or the Pulsar swingarm? As I had suggested earlier, it is better to go with the full Pulsar setup at the rear as well. With the RX swing arm you will have to do a lot of machining to make all parts fit and plus the pulsar shocks won't work well due to the shorter length of the RX swingarm.
Thanks for your suggestion SnS. As of now, the rear wheel is going to be fitted onto the RX swingarm. Is the Pulsar swingarm a direct fit on the RX chassis (mounting points) or are modifications required for it to be fitted? If the Pulsar Swingarm is a direct fit - then I wouldn't mind going for it. How much would the swingarm cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I will say one word - Headache!
Sorry about the late reply & I fully agree with @pramodkumar on his reply
Thanks Aargee - will be going for the 100 exhaust only
Old 19th July 2016, 15:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Aargee - will be going for the 100 exhaust only
Just read about your headlights; are you also opting for RDD generator as well? Personally, its a SUPER DUPER upgrade which is worth & simply straightforward direct fit. Unless you're planning to retard or advance the timing, it gives a great benefit on the headlight throw. Pls consider.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks