Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2017, 17:04   #46
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)

Sorry haven't actually updated pics of the complete bike yet. Have been using the RX100 as my daily ride to office for the past few months now. And I must say it's one of the best bikes to squeeze through traffic. The other best part is the functioning oil pump so you don't have to mix 2T oil everytime you fill fuel. The bike seems to be giving a good mileage - I am not able to check it since the speedometer is not connected. The mechanic was not able to connect the stock speedo cable from the RX speedometer to the Pulsar wheel. So not able to check the exact mileage.

Anyways time for some pics :

Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-picsart_011204.57.22.jpg

Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-picsart_011204.56.06.jpg

Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-picsart_011204.55.09.jpg

Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-picsart_011204.54.43.jpg

Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-picsart_011204.53.51.jpg
v12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2017, 17:15   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Have been using the RX100 as my daily ride to office for the past few months now. And I must say it's one of the best bikes to squeeze through traffic.

Allen mate that's a nicely restored RX100. Which year model? (I am too lazy to check the model year on your posts )

Looks like a typical Allen's bike. Nice and clean while shining in all its glory.

Mate why didn't you opt for those flat round indicators that came as OEM. I fell it could have looked better. Also those shiny chrome wheels with wired spokes with chrome mudguards could've complemented the looks (But I know what a challenge it is for us Bombay'ites to maintain chrome in salty sea environment). Nevertheless your Yamaha RX100 looks good. Thanks for keeping the two stroke alive.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 12th January 2017 at 17:17.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2017, 17:19   #48
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Navin !! The things I am planning to replace at a later stage are - the front mudguards, the headlights (closer to the speedo) and the exhaust. Indicators hmmmm I don't like the round ones because I feel they don't compliment the squarish look of the RX100 and I didn't want much chrome on the bike.
Old 12th January 2017, 17:32   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Navin !! The things I am planning to replace at a later stage are - the front mudguards, the headlights (closer to the speedo) and the exhaust. Indicators hmmmm I don't like the round ones because I feel they don't compliment the squarish look of the RX100 and I didn't want much chrome on the bike.
Well you can look at those rectangular indicators that used on come Hero Honda CD100. I was just thinking about how a black powder coated rim will go with chrome spokes. Just giving you some ideas.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2017, 17:48   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The mechanic was not able to connect the stock speedo cable from the RX speedometer to the Pulsar wheel.
RX stock speedo cable can't be used with Pulsar worm gear, the ends are different (RX - Press type with separate lock, Pulsar - Screw type, same as the meter end) Get an Pulsar Classic / UG2 speedo cable.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2017, 18:15   #51
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Well you can look at those rectangular indicators that used on come Hero Honda CD100. I was just thinking about how a black powder coated rim will go with chrome spokes. Just giving you some ideas.
Powder coated spoke wheels will definitely look good on the RX. But after going through all the trouble of sourcing and fitting these wheels - don't want to go back to spoke wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
RX stock speedo cable can't be used with Pulsar worm gear, the ends are different (RX - Press type with separate lock, Pulsar - Screw type, same as the meter end) Get an Pulsar Classic / UG2 speedo cable.
Thanks Boss! Let me check this option and see. So the Pulsar Classic cable will fit on both the ends?
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 09:33   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So the Pulsar Classic cable will fit on both the ends?
Yes.
Meter end follows standard and common across most of the vehicles. Only the wheel end differs from vehicle to vehicle.
Old 19th March 2018, 17:05   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry haven't actually updated pics of the complete bike yet. Have been using the RX100 as my daily ride to office for the past few months now.

hey v12.. just stumbled on your thread. Those mods look amazing. I'm thinking of going for a retro modern touch on a RX135 4-speed myself. What is the status of your ride now? Still using it as a daily driver? Did you go ahead and do the grey paint job?

Looking forward to some updates from your side. Cheers.
Old 28th June 2018, 23:24   #54
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The RX is still doing its duty as a daily ride very faithfully. I use it almost daily to commute to office. But due to the rains, it's not being used much. In the coming months am planning another makeover - cosmetically of course. Mechanically I only have to get the clutch sorted out. Cosmetically I am planning on the following parts :
  • A new silencer - Is the OE one still available anywhere and what does it cost? Non-OE exhaust is available on Safexbikes.com. Has anyone ordered anything from this site? Any feedback?
  • Front Mudguard - Current one looks hideous. Non-OE chrome mudguard is available on Safexbikes.
  • Side panels - the clips have broken so will change them.
  • Mirrors - Round ones but from an OE manufacturer - the current local ones have already rusted.
  • New Paint Job including wheels
  • Seat - Flat Seat like the below
Yamaha RX100: Retro-Modern modifications (back to stock)-images-2_1530208347923.jpeg
Old 29th June 2018, 00:27   #55
BHPian

Quote:
  • A new silencer -
  • Front Mudguard -.
I would suggest going for an Expansion Chamber, if it's city riding something tuned for low end and mid range will help a lot. Also, look for a RXZ mudguard, it looks very sleek and fits well on the Rx100.
motorpsycho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 08:39   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
[*]A new silencer - Is the OE one still available anywhere and what does it cost? Non-OE exhaust is available on Safexbikes.com. Has anyone ordered anything from this site? Any feedback?[*]Front Mudguard - Current one looks hideous. Non-OE chrome mudguard is available on Safexbikes.
- We get only 135 silencer (OE) now, costing less than 2k. IF the current one is structurally good, get it chromed.
- Better to spend a little more and get OE chrome mud guard. Give a coat of anti-rust paint on the inner side.
Old 9th October 2019, 21:41   #57
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello RX Guru's,

Its been a year since I posted on this thread - which just means that the RX is doing fine. Its showing its age since its being used as a daily ride. Planning to spruce it up a bit, so looking for some help. Can someone let me know if the following is possible on the RX100 - obviously these would not be a direct fit. But I am sure someone would have tried this out.

Can the following parts from the Pulsar 200 be fitted on the RX100?
- Rear Swingarm along with the wheel/tyre
- Rear suspension
- Entire front end (including the suspension, wheels, disc)
Old 10th October 2019, 09:47   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Rear suspension
Instead of the Pulsar 200, I would suggest you to give a good look at the Honda CB Shine front unit set up. Check out the fork dia before you buy the complete unit. You have the option of wire wheels or alloy wheels to go with. Wire Wheels means you need to ask for 2007 Pre Model. Rest of mechanicals are similar. The only reason am quoting Honda CB Shine, the overall dynamics of the Honda matches with the RX, Ok the weight of Shine is slightly more than that of RX.

Rear Suspension suggest you to stick to the stock but you do have gas filled shock absorbers or many makes.

Rear Swingarm - Any reason why you wanna do away with the existing one?

Instead of this, I would suggest you to go ahead with the 5 speed gear box which broaden your ratios giving you a better riding experience.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 09:50   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Hello RX Guru's,

- Rear suspension
Please refrain from doing any of these is my sincere suggestion. All pulsar parts are much heavier compared to rx parts and all these you will be adding below the suspension meaning your unsprung weight will go up drastically. You will lose the nimble character of the Rx and the bike will feel like a bloated hippo to ride. Also pulsar swingarm I think is much longer than Rx so the rear suspension geometry will change and the shock action might be affected. Pulsar is also a heavy bike overall which means the suspension may not work on the Rx as the spring rates will be different from a lighter bike and therefore may not compress fully or compress at all.
Care to tell us why you plan these mods? What is the result you are looking for? May be someone can guide you along the right path. As someone suggested the gladiator bits are direct fit. I think the tvs Victor swingarm is also a direct fit. For shocks go for something that has comparable weight to rx... something in the 100-110 kg range. For front forks if you feel they are too skinny try fitting some fork braces. If not try apache forks , tvs parts are way lighter than bajaj parts in my opinion. Please research well before making any mods or you may end up with a lemon instead of a nice Rx .

Cheers.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2019, 11:51   #60
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Ku69rd and Nitro for your feedback. I guess I will stay away from these mods then. The reason I asked was because a friend was planning to sell his P200 and I was wondering if the good parts could be swapped with the RX100. Guess it's a no then. Thank you

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks