Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2016, 23:01   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

2T Oil for Two Strokes becoming hard to source?

As two strokes are becoming scarcer, the availiability of 2 T oil is also getting affected. Many dealers do not stock 2 T oils, as four strokers feeding on 4 T's rule the roads.

2 T oils were among the mainstays of many lubricating oil makers - not any more. Some reputed companies have stopped manufacturing and marketing 2 T oils altogether. Most of the PSU oil companies however continue to manufacture these oils.

We invite your experiences with the purchases of 2 T oils lately. I got two unheard of brands (half a litre each can) from a shop recently. I wish to post the names and pictures of cans soon. These were bought about six months ago and as I was cleaning my Yamaha RX 100 today, I just checked the oil chamber. Since it needed topping, these two containers were emptied (one fully and the other one partly) to fill the oil chamber. The bike is not much used these days, but I take care to maintain it regularly. Another consumer for the 2 T oil in my garage is my 1983 TVS 50, that is also very sparingly used.

Rather than the unheard brands, I would prefer the PSU brands from now on. I had been dependent on Castrol and Gulf for some decades, but these brands are not found in the market.

(Mods if you feel so, this can be merged with another 2T oil thread that has been active here. I have exclusively dealt about its availiability here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...e-2t-oils.html)

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 6th August 2016 at 23:07.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 11:10   #2
BHPian

re: 2T Oil for Two Strokes becoming hard to source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
As two strokes are becoming scarcer, the availiability of 2 T oil is also getting affected. Many dealers do not stock 2 T oils, as four strokers feeding on 4 T's rule the roads.

I had been dependent on Castrol and Gulf for some decades, but these brands are not found in the market.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...e-2t-oils.html)
Hi Anjan Sir,

I agree that 2Strokes are getting scarcer, but 2T oil is still freely available. I use Motomix by Motul & have had no trouble sourcing it in Mumbai, at-least (Picked up a crate 6 months ago, still have some time to order the next one). The Motul India site lists both, Motomix as well as Motul800 & has a dealer locator which might help point you to the right sources in your part of town. Reseller search link: https://www.motul.com/in/en/resellers

Best,
Tan
St. Anger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 11:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

I had been to a Bharat Petroleum outlet yesterday and they had a big stock of 2T oil. A lot of the auto ricksha's are still 2 stroke.
pedrolourenco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 19:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Please get in contact with your local Motul Distributor through the Motul Website-Phone number. They will definitely have stock. I can assure you of that. MotoMix 2T is the one they have in stock right now pan india.
navpreet318 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 09:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Well, not really; Shell fuel stations stocks up, if not in abundant, but they've adequate. Motul supplies 2T, but very expensive, but worth the quality & the job it does. Other than these 2 players, I know Castrol used to have, but the more I see Castrol are in the sachet.

But none of them are rare & scare, atleast in Chennai
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 13:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2T Oil for Two Strokes becoming hard to source?

+1 Aargee, we have no such issues in Bangalore as well. Since I have three 2 strokers, I buy them in a batch of 5 liters from the Shell Petrol Bunk. Absolutely no issues, however I have tried 4T Engine oils as well (Mineral) and they also seem to do the job well.
Just in case if you are stuck without 2T oil, you can try the 4T Engine oil as well.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 20:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
however I have tried 4T Engine oils as well (Mineral) and they also seem to do the job well
You spoke what I had in mind; didn't want to tell this here on account of some half bake knowledge waging war.

Last time I was forced to mix Shell 2T & Shell Advance 10W40 (Semi Synth) & didn't observe any issue; but then, its only for shorter term, so I could be wrong on the outcome of larger usage.

PS - I know Yezdi's were made to run using coconut oil as well; so considering that, a modern day SS (or even mineral) engine oil should do a good justification for a 2 stroke
Old 8th August 2016, 21:04   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Just in case if you are stuck without 2T oil, you can try the 4T Engine oil as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
You spoke what I had in mind; didn't want to tell this here on account of some half bake knowledge waging war.
Sometime back my mechanic had advised me to use 'Laal Ghoda' engine oil. It is 20w40.

Have used it for about 4 months / 600 kms without any problem in my Yezdi.

Like aargee i have no scientific knowledge as to whether this would really work.

Off topic, but my main worry these days is whether old vehicles will be allowed to run on the roads or not. My bike is 20 years old not. Hoping the NGT ruling does not spread all over the country.
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 23:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Gulf semi synthetic 2T oil is available too.
straight6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 23:45   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

Last time I was forced to mix Shell 2T & Shell Advance 10W40 (Semi Synth) & didn't observe any issue; but then, its only for shorter term, so I could be wrong on the outcome of larger usage.

PS - I know Yezdi's were made to run using coconut oil as well; so considering that, a modern day SS (or even mineral) engine oil should do a good justification for a 2 stroke
Gentlemen,

Please do not use a 4 stroke engine oil in a 2 stroke engine.

In a 2 stroke engine the oil is supposed to be mixed with gasoline & burn during combustion stroke.

Two stroke engine oils use low ash detergents & dispersants so that no residue is left behind at the time of combustion. A four stroke oil on the other hand has detergents & anti wear additives that will leave behind hard, white ash which will result in spark plug fouling & increase detonation/knocking/pinging in the engine. You will not see much damage immediately but as a result of all of this you will drastically reduce your two wheeler’s engine life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Sometime back my mechanic had advised me to use 'Laal Ghoda' engine oil. It is 20w40.

Have used it for about 4 months / 600 kms without any problem in my Yezdi.

Like aargee i have no scientific knowledge as to whether this would really work.

Off topic, but my main worry these days is whether old vehicles will be allowed to run on the roads or not. My bike is 20 years old not. Hoping the NGT ruling does not spread all over the country.
Lal Ghoda 20W-40 is a API-CC 4 stroke diesel engine oil; this mechanic that you’re talking to does not have a clue as to what he’s talking about. Please do not use this product in your motorbike’s engine if you love it at all.

My suggestion is before you talk to these illiterate mechanics please go through your vehicle’s owner’s manuals & use oils as per manufacturer’s recommendations.

2 stroke engine oils are normally available at all gas station of Govt owned oil companies such as HPC, BPC & IOC (I have worked for one of these companies for 12 years before I left the country 10 years ago).

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 8th August 2016 at 23:48.
Vikram Arya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 10:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
Gentlemen,

Please do not use a 4 stroke engine oil in a 2 stroke engine.
I agree/understand your statement and perhaps one of the reason why I end up doing a Head/Cylinder De-carbonizing once every 10000 kms. By fair standards I think its still ok to use 4T in emergency situations rather than suffering a seizure.

@Aargee,
During the days of auto cross racing, I have observed a few mechanics also use caster oil for 2 Strokers to prevent a seizure. Yes I do not know the technical reason but have seen it worked.

Last edited by ku69rd : 9th August 2016 at 11:01.
Old 14th August 2016, 23:35   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

The two half litre cans used by me recently for my two stroke bike and moped (Yamaha RX 100 and TVS 50). The brands may be largely unheard o,f but were the most easily available at the nearby spare parts shop. The shop owner was canvassing his products, but I took it with a pinch of salt. The only emergency was that the RX 100's low oil level should not have caused a heartbreaking, engine seizure.

Henceforth, reading your suggestions friends, I shall stock some cans of either Gulf or Motul.

2T Oil for Two Strokes becoming hard to source?-img_20160814_195244777.jpg
Old 24th June 2017, 19:45   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Consumed all Mak 2T cans and ended up buying Motul (again) this time.

At least in Chennai and Coimbatore I don't find any issues in getting 2T oil (including Synthetic oil)
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks