Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2016, 08:38   #1
BHPian

BMW Motorrad’s Indian invasion - Full range of bikes coming!

BMW Motorrad likely to introduce entire range of motorcycles from G 310 R to the K1600 around October 2016

Autocar Source

This was long overdue after KTM's run away success and India's growing hunger for performance bikes. Hope BMW gets its pricing right atleast for the entry level G 310R to make significant inroads.

Quote:
BMW’s upcoming all-new entry-level naked motorcycle, the G 310 R, has been winning plenty of attention in the Indian market. However, when October 2016 rolls around, you can expect BMW to bring its entire range to the Indian market! It is expected that Indian motorcyclists will get everything from the German giant, right from the made-in-Hosur G 310 R, all the way to the made-in-Berlin K1600. But crucially, to make a dent in the booming premium bike market, BMW Motorrad needs to get the price right. And to this effect, BMW Motorrad is expected to leverage its made-in-Thailand offerings. At an integrated plant in Rayong, Thailand, BMW has a large facility where cars and motorcycles are assembled.
vin_b is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 12:16   #2
BHPian

re: BMW Motorrad’s Indian invasion - Full range of bikes coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin_b View Post
BMW Motorrad likely to introduce entire range of motorcycles from G 310 R to the K1600 around October 2016
That's interesting. Thought they were not going to launch the G310R in 2016 as per earlier reports. Brining the whole line-up sounds very cool too. However, shouldn't they be homologating the products before launching on Indian roads? I would usually expect some spy shots if so.
Old 10th August 2016, 12:25   #3
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BMW Motorrad’s Indian invasion - Full range of bikes coming!

BMW Motorrad dealership in Pune has already been finalised. It will be managed by Mr. Vishal Agarwal and group, who already own and manage a couple of existing BMW dealerships (Bavaria Motors) and the sole Ducati dealership in Pune.
//M is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 02:46   #4
BHPian

Is there any news if the r1200r is being launched? Also is this model made in thailand because it will then be more economical
Old 11th August 2016, 08:57   #5
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW Motorrad’s Indian invasion - Full range of bikes coming!

What about TVS Motors tying up with BMW and launching [rumored] of G 310R? I was so looking forward to this. The TVS showroom being next to my office helps.
Old 11th August 2016, 09:30   #6
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
What about TVS Motors tying up with BMW and launching [rumored] of G 310R? I was so looking forward to this. The TVS showroom being next to my office helps.
I could be wrong, but AFAIK the G310R will be sold through BMW Motorrad dealerships only. The upcoming Akula 310 will be sold through TVS dealerships. So that also means the G310R will be sold through limited dealerships only in metro cities to start with.

However, BMW-TVS can come up with dealerships wherein they will sell the G310R as well as the Akula 310. But as of now its a little uncertain.

I sincerely hope G310R is sold via TVS dealerships as well with maybe a dedicated section for the bike similar to KTM-Kawasaki dealerships.
//M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 11:17   #7
BHPian

I used to be excited on reading such news but that has now given way to despondency. All the bikes (except perhaps G310R) will be priced northwards of 10lakh.
In India, at the low end bikes are clustered around 2 lakh mark and the next jump (baring Ninjas and the odd Harley) is directly 7 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
I could be wrong, but AFAIK the G310R will be sold through BMW Motorrad dealerships only. The upcoming Akula 310 will be sold through TVS dealerships. So that also means the G310R will be sold through limited dealerships only in metro cities to start with.
That is also what I have read.
timuseravan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 12:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
I used to be excited on reading such news but that has now given way to despondency. All the bikes (except perhaps G310R) will be priced northwards of 10lakh.
In India, at the low end bikes are clustered around 2 lakh mark and the next jump (baring Ninjas and the odd Harley) is directly 7 lakh.

That is also what I have read.
getting a gs at less than 20 lakhs is finally no longer a dream! what else can you ask for? The gs adventure and the multistrada enduro both being available for less than 25 lakhs is itself an achievement. We are finally not lacking options in the real sense. Kudos to Harley, Triumph & Ducati for showing BMW why bringing in Motorrad with full force was the only way to win over India . 5 years ago who would have thought of this? I would have expected the inverse to happen considering, globally, BMW is the gorilla in the room compared to the rest of the 3.

Last edited by cUjO : 11th August 2016 at 12:55.
Old 11th August 2016, 13:19   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cUjO View Post
getting a gs at less than 20 lakhs is finally no longer a dream! what else can you ask for? The gs adventure and the multistrada enduro both being available for less than 25 lakhs is itself an achievement. We are finally not lacking options in the real sense. Kudos to Harley, Triumph & Ducati for showing BMW why bringing in Motorrad with full force was the only way to win over India . 5 years ago who would have thought of this? I would have expected the inverse to happen considering, globally, BMW is the gorilla in the room compared to the rest of the 3.
A bike for 20 lakhs is a good thing?
Most of those bikes are sold here for almost twice the price they sell for in, say, US.
Old 11th August 2016, 13:29   #10
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
A bike for 20 lakhs is a good thing?
I think what bhpian cUjO meant was currently importing a BMW R1200GS costs northwards of 35 lakhs. If that is available for 25 lakhs, then it is indeed a good deal.

There are people who see the R1200GS as their dream bike. There are people who are now riding a Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer or a Ducati Multistrada or an Aprilia Caponord and for them, bikes like BMW R1200 GS or BMW S1000XR are logical upgrades. There are many more who upgrade to adventure tourers from superbikes like fellow bhpian navpreet318 did. He upgraded to a R1200GS from a Ninja ZX12R. So I am quite sure that at 25 lakhs, there will be takers for the legendary R1200GS.

Ofcourse these bikes are very expensive when we compare them with their pricing in USA. Ditto with imported cars. But that is because of the tax structure. Why only blame the manufacturer?
//M is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 15:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

This is fantastic news! Thanks to the trade agreement with Thailand lets hope that these bikes come down to a realistic sane pricing.

I thought I'd do a quick comparison of the pricing for their popular models for people to get an idea of how exciting this news is. Source for Thailand Pricing and India Pricing.

BMW S1000RR

India Price - 27.55lakh
Thailand Price - 820,000baht
Converted - Rs 17.75lakh

BMW Motorrad’s Indian invasion - Full range of bikes coming!-p90162337_highres.jpg
2015 BMW S1000RR

BMW S1000R

India Price - 22.83lakh
Thailand Price - 635000baht
Converted - Rs 12.20lakh

BMW Motorrad’s Indian invasion - Full range of bikes coming!-01.jpg
2014 BMW S1000R

BMW S1000XR

India Price - Not launched
Thailand Price - 890000baht
Converted - Rs 17.1lakh

BMW Motorrad’s Indian invasion - Full range of bikes coming!-p90167332_highres.jpg
2016 BMW S1000XR

BMW R 1200 GS

India Price - 25.73lakh
Thailand Price - 935000baht
Converted - Rs 17.97lakh

BMW Motorrad’s Indian invasion - Full range of bikes coming!-r1200gs2013002.jpg
2013 BMW R 1200 GS

BMW R nineT

India Price - 23.5lakh
Thailand Price - 1090000baht
Converted - Rs 20.95lakh
(Not assembled in Thailand I think)

BMW Motorrad’s Indian invasion - Full range of bikes coming!-ninet2.jpg
2014 BMW R nineT

Although it would be speculation to think they will be priced exactly at Thailand price, but we can definitely expect close pricing just like Ducati. This is great news for anyone who loves BMW Motorrad. I am actually taking a 2000km road trip on the S1000XR next month in California since i really wanted to try it out. After the Street Triple having another naked doesn't make sense.

Also, another funny thing would be BMW used prices are going to plummet in the market. This is a great thing because there were idiots selling 2012 bikes for 19 lakh (which were around 25lakh new) which is absurd. More bikes = more used options. I've said this before and I will say this again, we are amidst the golden era of biking in India. Its a great time to be a motorcycle lover!

Last edited by quickdraw : 11th August 2016 at 15:11.
quickdraw is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 15:36   #12
BHPian

Absolutely on point ///M & Quickdraw!

We can argue over how import duties are unreal or take advantage of the fta between Thailand and India and ride these beauties as they are meant to before our spines say 'no more! ' As ///M put it I don't think 25L is cheap. But you do get a lot for that money. Consider importing them yourself as previously people have done and you can see they spent similar (if not more!) loads without the service & support. For that price today you can get a bike with warranty! For a bike which you can technically ride just about anywhere and in any conditions throughout the country or the world, an assurance that anywhere in India you can get service now is itself reassuring. Keep in mind Motorrad has awesome riding classes for you to be able to do justice to these behemoths all of which is not possible until they have significant presence. The ADV category should see a significant boost in India because of this and it can only help bikes like the Himalayan for those ready to start off. In all I think this is great news and a significant milestone for motorcycling in India. IBW and Leh/Ladakh should get lot more interesting in the coming years.
Old 11th August 2016, 17:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Will be very interesting to see if they can launch their F800GS models in India. If the pricing can be on par around 800K INR then it should be a steal. At that price line it should be a steal to buy
Or am i expecting too much
Old 11th August 2016, 17:56   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Will be very interesting to see if they can launch their F800GS models in India. If the pricing can be on par around 800K INR then it should be a steal. At that price line it should be a steal to buy
Or am i expecting too much
Expecting too much. I think the 800 gs will retail a bit above the triumph 800 pricing in India. Say about 14-15 lakhs.

The Honda africa twin may also come in at about the same price.

The 1200 will still be North of 20 big ones.

If this kind of pricing I mentioned above is true, it does make the versys a comparatively honest buy for our budding touring needs.

Ofcourse, all speculation.
Old 12th August 2016, 06:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

Eagerly waiting for the 700/800 GS twins now. Will be interesting to see their pricing and I have a inkling that it might by around the 10L mark...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks