Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2016, 15:27   #1
BHPian

Meet Gamora: My pre-worshipped Kawasaki Ninja 300

PREFACE

Let me start by admitting that the past couple of years have been extremely adventurous for me. From purchasing a Ford Figo 1.4 TDCI to remapping it 90 HP to clocking a time of 12.46 seconds (of course 0-100) to meeting with an accident and wrecking it! Quit my job. Started working on something I love.

The list does not stop there. I picked up one the last ones of 1.6 TDI Volkswagen Vento. The constant effort to push this to the limits and still keep it safe has gotten me to a Stage 2+ churning out 160+ HP. It has won multiple events. It is currently the fastest 1.6 TDI in the country, AFAIK, (14.9 seconds to quarter mile). This has been made possible, thanks to the combined efforts of Kryptonite and TuneOTronics. But that’s another day, another thread. For now let me focus on my baby Ninja, shall we?

A few months back, I found myself at an all too familiar crossroad. To sell my Vento and get a Stage II Laura TSI or keep my beloved car and look at other options was the big dilemma.

Some of the options I looked into at that point were:

Used Laura 1.8 TSI (manual, do it up to stage II)
Used Laura 2.0 TDI DSG
Used BMW 320D

The 1.8 TSI
The Laura 1.8 TSI was the one which was a strong contestant. Mostly give the factor that I could purchase one for around 4L and spend another 4 to meet the goals. Issue with that? Nothing. I was too used to getting 16-17+ on the highway in my Vento, despite the tune. The TSI would be very different story in terms of munching distances. Don’t mistake me, it’s a fine car. And given the support I had from Kryptonite, TuneOTronics and ADIGA motors, this was almost a done deal. Almost!

The 2.0 TDI DSG
This was the next best thing in line. I’ve driven my friends Laura TDI DSG for a while. I know exactly what is possible with this car. This would have been one of the most informed purchases for me. So why didn’t I got for it? Well even though there were multiple benefits (DSG, Traction Control, more Airbags, ESP, etc.), I kept arguing in my head about selling the Vento.

The 320D (pre 2012)
There are plenty of 320Ds in the market. Well maintained, pre 2012 models are available below 18L. It is an awesome, fun to drive car. Enough has been said about this on other threads. A simple remap can do wonders. What stopped me from getting this? Well, mostly the cost of maintenance. Of course, it was the costliest affair on my list but the thing with BMWs is that it’s not going to be a one-time expense.

A couple of other issues being:

- I was not happy with the rear leg space
- Small boot
- I was not getting the ZF-8 gearbox

So after shortlisting and debating in my head, and with my friends, I made peace and accepted that I needed to wait for sometime. Hopefully something else will come up. And it did!

An opportunity presents itself...

I was having a casual conversation with my friend at ADIGA Motors and he mentioned that he is planning for a new bike. I asked him about the 2014 Ninja 300 and he said that he was planning to sell it. It just has a couple of thousand KMs on it. I was caught off guard.

As much as I wanted that bike, I didn’t want to confirm anything immediately, without thinking it through. So I took the bike for a test-ride and asked him for some time to think on it. Point to be noted: I absolutely loved the bike. I had made up my mind. She was ‘The One’.

Meet Gamora: My pre-worshipped Kawasaki Ninja 300-218c2476478045eab8d801d3adde8d5a.png

Later in the evenin', as you lie awake in bed
With the echoes of the amplifiers, ringin' in your head...
You smoke the day's last cigarette, rememberin' what she said.
What she said.
Turn the page - Metallica

That evening, I could not help myself thinking about it over and over again. It has been a while since I rode a bike. Will I be up to the task? Is this a better deal over another car? What are my other options if bike is that way to go? Unable to answer all of these questions, I called it a day and decided to ‘research’ a bit more.

Meet Gamora: My pre-worshipped Kawasaki Ninja 300-ninja.jpg

Other options considered:

KTM Duke 390 ABS
Apache RTR 200 FI
CBR 250R
Benelli TNT-25

KTM 390
+ Power
+ ABS
+ Metzeler Tyres (stock)
- Refinement
- Tank Capacity

APACHE RTR 200
+ Brand New
+ Loaded Console
+ ABS
+ 1.15L on-road pricing (fully loaded)
+ Pirelli Tyres (stock)
+ Refinement
- Power
- Looks (subjective)
- Personally not a big fan of TVS

HONDA CBR 250R
+ Loved it for the looks
+ Refined Engine
+ Combined ABS
- Bike has started to age, despite new graphics (worse)
- Issues reported by many users
- Power

BENELLI TNT-25
+ Comfortable
+ Good build quality
+ Linear power delivery
+ Exhaust note
- Vibrations in some gear
- Costlier to maintain given the competition
- 4K service interval
- Limited number of service stations

RESEARCH OUTCOME

None. Back to square one. Mostly because more than anything else, it was my heart that had made a decision. I went ahead and made the deal. I named her 'Gamora'

Meet Gamora: My pre-worshipped Kawasaki Ninja 300-3bf20265b87045aa8fd9275099ce6c16.png

Name:  7B50A8AFFEEA49429CC20986955A4215.png
Views: 13577
Size:  2.38 MB

Name:  5923D53806AB46D5B1D2AFE8FCE65386.png
Views: 13342
Size:  2.09 MB

THE BIKE

I will not list down the specs since it has been done enough number of times. What I’ll do rather is give you an overview of what mods have gone into it, what mods are planned and observations from the point of a daily rider.

THE MODS DONE
  • De-cat
  • Zero gravity double bubble windshield
  • Removed the air filter snorkel
  • BMC replacement air filter
  • Sprocket front and back change for quicker acceleration
  • Handle bar riders
  • Throttle tube changed to Yamaha R6 throttle tube
  • Swingarm spools for the stand
  • Tank protector
  • Osram night breaker unlimited headlight bulbs and osram led parking bulbs
  • Tyres upgraded to Metzeler M5

MODS PLANNED
  • IXIL L3X Hyperlow XL or Akrapovič S-K3SO1-HZC
  • Change the indicators to the Duke/RC ones
  • Change the horn

OBSERVATIONS
  • First of all, the bike is very comfortable.
  • The tank capacity of 17L ensures that you can crunch distances.
  • To answer a regular question, I get around 30-32 KMPL riding in heavy traffic.
  • Noticeable change in exhaust note post 4K rpm.
  • Bike runs smooth even at lower revs.
  • Practically zero vibrations all the way through the rpm range.
  • Attention grabber. Blame the colour and the big bike feel.
  • Uni-Trak suspension provides sufficient comfort and predictable handling.
  • KAMS (Kawasaki Air Management System) keeps things cool.
  • Slipper clutch (ace of spades)
  • Very light clutch lever. Feels GP inspired.
  • Butter smooth gear shifts.
  • Did I say, it looks amazing!
  • Fun to ride for both amateurs (very forgiving) as well as professionals
  • Mirrors that work.
  • Top speed clocked, as per speedo, 190

Some not so good things:

I love almost everything about this bike. But with the launch of the new version of 390 as well as the Yamaha R3, I wish some things were better.
  • Lack of ABS (not even optional)
  • Dated instrument cluster
  • 140 mm ground clearance
  • Costlier parts, compared to competition
  • Cost of the new bike.
This 4-stroke, liquid cooled, parallel-twin has amazing in gear acceleration. You've to take it for a spin to believe it. Anyway. Everything worked out well in the end. I get to keep my Vento (nicknamed Mystique ) and I've a bike that makes Monday morning commutes fun and inviting. I am loving it. So far, I've bought some basic gear from ORION MOTORS, Bangalore. http://www.orionmotorsindia.com/

DOT+ISI certified helmet (use it during Drag races too).
RYNOX Jacket and gloves.

I'll sign-off for now saying 'thanks for reading my thread!'. I've attached some pictures taken during my drives/rides. Hope you enjoy it. I'll be happy to answer all your questions. Until next time... cheers!

Meet Gamora: My pre-worshipped Kawasaki Ninja 300-img_20160612_14524201013.jpeg

Meet Gamora: My pre-worshipped Kawasaki Ninja 300-waterfall.jpeg

Meet Gamora: My pre-worshipped Kawasaki Ninja 300-img_20160615_09480101.jpeg

Meet Gamora: My pre-worshipped Kawasaki Ninja 300-img_20160716_112049602_hdr.jpg

Meet Gamora: My pre-worshipped Kawasaki Ninja 300-img_20160716_112055245_hdr.jpg

Meet Gamora: My pre-worshipped Kawasaki Ninja 300-img_20160716_112107152_hdr.jpg

Last edited by dextertuned : 11th August 2016 at 16:37. Reason: Formatting, Top Speed, Number
dextertuned is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 15:47   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Meet Gamora: My pre-worshipped Kawasaki Ninja 300

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorcycle Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12th August 2016, 17:48   #3
BHPian

Let me be the first to congratulate you on this prized possession. The bike looks new to me. My heart stops beating and everything freezes the moment i see a ninja. Nothing other than the (un)availability of Vitamin M is stopping me from getting one. Fortunately, i was offered an extended test ride by the dealer of both D390 and N-300 back to back. I was really impressed by the refinement and the comfort that N-300 offered. Enjoy the bike as it sure will put a smile on your face every time you take it out.
ReluctantRebel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 18:28   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantRebel View Post
Let me be the first to congratulate you on this prized possession. The bike looks new to me. My heart stops beating and everything freezes the moment i see a ninja. Nothing other than the (un)availability of Vitamin M is stopping me from getting one. Fortunately, i was offered an extended test ride by the dealer of both D390 and N-300 back to back. I was really impressed by the refinement and the comfort that N-300 offered. Enjoy the bike as it sure will put a smile on your face every time you take it out.
Thanks. I had to opportunity to test ride a couple of bikes when I went to the KTM showroom as well. It's generally always overcrowded with college/student crowd. But the 390 was a beast indeed.

ZX-10R
I was allowed to test ride a ZX-10R (one of the customer's vehicle). That was a beast at another level. 197 HP is no joke. The bike was very refined. Unfortunately, I could not take the bike to anything beyond 2nd gear due to the insane top speed it was doing already. Moreover, it wasn't my bike, so I was not comfortable pushing it.

Yamaha R3
My friend just picked up the R3. The blue colour looks amazing. The blue rims, not so much. Equally amazing bike like the N300. Will be taking it for a ride soon and hopefully write a review on that too.
Old 15th August 2016, 16:40   #5
BHPian

whenever you think of a Kawasaki Ninja, nothing but the color green comes to your mind.

This particular shade has become an inseparable part of the Ninja Lineage just like the color red is akin to a Ferrari.

Although the Ninja with all its bells and whistles still lags far behind on the snazzy styling department of the other bikes, it covers where in lags in being the most functional bike to own.

Good decision which will surely drive your neighbors 'green' with envy.

Congrats for getting 'the' Ninja
Old 15th August 2016, 17:18   #6

What a beautiful description you've provided there mate, and if it's a Ninja it's got to be the "green" it's separable.

The baby ninja suffers from lack of bottom end power or so I felt when I once rode a friends ninja 250 how do you find it in Bangalore traffic? Or does it feel like my Honda Civic does
Old 15th August 2016, 22:06   #7
BHPian

Congratulation on your new machine!

When you buy a Ninja it has to be in green. Ninjas look really mean in green. Do you mind sharing the cost of owning this beauty?

Ride safe and happy motoring
Old 16th August 2016, 12:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the Ninja, and don't worry buddy everything comes in due time and you've made the right choice. Trust me buying the BMW is a fraction of the cost of owning one.
quickdraw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 10:37   #9
BHPian

Hi dextertuned ! Congrats on your new found bike which is a fabulous one. Nice pictures you had posted of the bike and you forgot to mention the name of the place where you took the other pictures, which are equally good too and we can ponder about visiting them as well whenever possible.

If it is ok, do share the OTR price of a new bike now and the amount you paid for this beauty.
Old 17th August 2016, 11:23   #10
BHPian

@dextertuned,
Congratulations on the the Ninja, its an amazing bike. I have the R3 and love Ninja and R3 equally.

The great thing is you are getting 30+, I have never managed to top 24 kmpl on the R3. After getting the Pirelli Diable Rosso2s installed, I get only 22 kmpl max!

Join us for a weekend ride sometime around Bangalore.
Old 17th August 2016, 15:19   #11
BHPian

There are really mouthwatering deals on OLX for Ninja 300's. You can get one for less than 3L. I have always been a fan of the Ninja but now I am in a dilemma. A new Yamaha R3 costs around 3.8L. But as far as I have read the servicing costs and parts cost of Yamaha are way cheaper than a Ninja. I cant decide between going for a second hand Ninja 300 or a new Yamaha R3.

@Aniket6:
Since you like both and own the R3, what would be your advice for the above conundrum?

Last edited by rascalangel : 17th August 2016 at 15:20. Reason: Oversight.
Old 17th August 2016, 23:39   #12

@Dextertuned,
Many congratulations on your Ninja.

I am in the same dilemma as rascalangel, confused between new R3 and used Ninja 300. Able to find some ninjas with less than 5000 kms on the odo for which they are quoting around 3.5 lakhs(negotiable). How's the deal if i seal the deal for sub 3 lakhs? Your expertise opinion much appreciated.
Old 18th August 2016, 10:17   #13
BHPian

What are some of the reasons a person would sell a Ninja 300 after just 5000 kms?
Old 18th August 2016, 10:39   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
What are some of the reasons a person would sell a Ninja 300 after just 5000 kms?
Positive reasons:
1) Upgrade
2) Going abroad on work

There could be a variety of reasons but we will be going OT.

dextertuned - congrats on the purchase. Gamora looks awesome. Enjoy many miles of safe riding! I love the livery on the 2016 N300 more though.
Avinash_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 10:51   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalangel View Post
There are really mouthwatering deals on OLX for Ninja 300's. You can get one for less than 3L. I have always been a fan of the Ninja but now I am in a dilemma. A new Yamaha R3 costs around 3.8L. But as far as I have read the servicing costs and parts cost of Yamaha are way cheaper than a Ninja. I cant decide between going for a second hand Ninja 300 or a new Yamaha R3.

@Aniket6:
Since you like both and own the R3, what would be your advice for the above conundrum?
Hey rascalangel, If its between a new R3 and a used Ninja, I would say go for the new bike. Both bikes are equals in almost all respects with some minor differences like -

Advantage R3 -

1. R3 gets 160mm ground clearance which is better if you encounter frequent bad roads, gigantic speed breakers.

2. R3 servicing and spare costs are way cheaper than N300, so easier on pocket the R3 is. Spare availability is also better.

3. R3 has better brakes hands down and better ride quality. (Plush ride quality infact, overall I think ride+handling is slightly better in R3 vs Ninja)

4. R3 has better low end torque and therefore requires fewer gear shifts in city.

Advantage Ninja -

1. 17L fuel tank with better fuel efficiency means fewer trips to petrol stations. I commute 60kms daily on my R3 and a full tank lasts only 4 days for me. I have to visit a fuel station every 5th day, sometimes frustrating.

2. Quality of Ninja and finishing is way better. Higher costs of bike and spares are therefore justified to an extent.

3. Ninja sounds better in my opinion and looks better from front and side.

4. If you have pillions frequently, Ninja is more comfy and also gets grab bars for pillions to hold onto. (missing in R3).

At the end of the day, both are equally good, but I would buy a new R3 than a used Ninja.
Aniket6 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks