Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2016, 15:22   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Lower spec'd variant of Mahindra Mojo caught testing

Mahindra Mojo's only competition was CBR250R. Both cater to tourers who want a comfy yet punchy motorcycle. Mojo is slower than the CBR, not a proven product like the CBR, but it had its USP. Sadly, the USP have been stripped down now.

Amidst breakneck competition between Himalayan, D200-D390, CBR250R and RE500s, there aren't many reasons favourable to the Mojo.
Old 22nd August 2016, 15:32   #17
BHPian

This action seems like a response to the impending launch of VS400(CS400). Since Bajaj doesn't EFI, USD and twin exhaust, why not lose and undercut Bajaj's price point? Good move I'd say. However they need to keep the current version in the market and junk that front and get a rather simplistic one or maybe a semi-fairing since it is marketed as a tourer.

Last edited by puneeth2 : 22nd August 2016 at 16:01.
puneeth2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 15:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneeth2 View Post
This action seems like a response to the impending launch of VS400(CS400).

Since Bajaj doesn't EFI, USD and twin exhaust, why not lose and undercut Bajaj's price point?
Correction the Bajaj VS400 will have EFi.

Even the RS200 comes with EFi as standard feature, would be very surprising if the Flagship Pulsar won't get it.

Last edited by payeng : 22nd August 2016 at 15:39.
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 16:06   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Correction the Bajaj VS400 will have EFi.

Even the RS200 comes with EFi as standard feature, would be very surprising if the Flagship Pulsar won't get it.
My bad!! I apologise.

Here's something I feel Mahindra can do to Mojo. Fairing and taller windscreen will help touring.
Attached Thumbnails
Lower spec'd variant of Mahindra Mojo caught testing-mojo.png  

Last edited by Zappo : 23rd August 2016 at 15:26. Reason: Back to back posts merged
puneeth2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 16:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

One can't just say that removing (EFI, USD Forks etc.) to cut costs/price is a bad move.

For example:

Similar sentiments were voiced when Bajaj decided to dump the EFi from the Pulsar 220 (probably in 2009/10). At that time the Hero (Honda) Karizma was beating the Pulsar 220 in sales.

But how the tide has turned around for Bajaj now. The Pulsar 220 is the leader now in its segment and the Karizma is nearly dead. On top of that the Pulsar 220 now enjoys a premium price tag over the Karizma R.

[Continuing from the above comment]

.. and that too when Hero now has a Karizma with EFi (the ZMA).

Sort of another proof that having or not having EFi has not effect on the market performance of a product.

Moderator's Note: Avoid making back to back posts, particularly when the same can be said at one go. Use the Multiquote option to respond to multiple people and the edit button to add to your previous post.

All the back to back posts have been merged.

Last edited by Zappo : 23rd August 2016 at 15:28.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 18:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Similar sentiments were voiced when Bajaj decided to dump the EFi from the Pulsar 220 (probably in 2009/10). At that time the Hero (Honda) Karizma was beating the Pulsar 220 in sales..
Not a correct example to quote. The P220 & the RTR160 eFI were plagued with issues right from the start. So it was a good move to ditch EFI on both these bikes and return to Carb. In fact the P220 carb version made a BHP more than its EFI version. The death knell for Karizma was when they launched ZMR with hardly any power increase even after adding a reliable EFI system. Further to that, they destroyed the minuscule sales by redesigning it to the hideous contraption that is the current ZMA.

On the other hand, there have been no reported issues with the EFI system on the Mojo. So why meddle with it in the name of cost savings. Instead as many have pointed out, try and modify the looks without having to spend a fortune on redesign & go ahead with the other cuts that are planned.
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 18:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Not a correct example to quote...

... they destroyed the minuscule sales by redesigning it to the hideous contraption that is the current ZMA.

On the other hand, there have been no reported issues with the EFI system on the Mojo.

Whatever might be the argument, there has been no evidence/proof that suggests having EFi guarantees sales success.

Whereas in some cases price drops has resulted in resurrection of brands (Eg. P220 (Carb) and even the Karizma when the price was slashed by Rs. 10,000 back in 2006/07)

payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 13:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneeth2 View Post
Here's something I feel Mahindra can do to Mojo. Fairing and taller windscreen will help touring.
The windscreens are already under process for Mojo. Expected to be available in 2-3 weeks time. Backrest is available along with saddle support as of now.

P.S: picture is of a fellow Mojo owner's bike.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Lower spec'd variant of Mahindra Mojo caught testing-mojo-1.jpg  

Last edited by Zappo : 23rd August 2016 at 15:29. Reason: update; Appropriate quote added to make the post more context relevant.
octy9833 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 15:02   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not a correct example to quote. The P220 & the RTR160 eFI were plagued with issues right from the start. So it was a good move to ditch EFI on both these bikes and return to Carb.
It was a different time then, the EFI version of Pulsar costed a lakh rupees on road which made people wonder if it was safe to spend a bomb on a Bajaj bike. Yamaha R15's launch added to their woes. When the carburetted version was launched, (both P220 and Apache 180) suddenly both came under the 90k bracket (My friend bought P220 for 88k then in 2010) which sounded reasonable. What happened later is history. P220 became one of the fastest selling bike in its category (Heck, its selling even today).

I wonder if the same strategy will work for Mojo in this day and age. Even after these minor changes, the bike will still be perceptively expensive, add to that the competition. I personally like the Mojo, even its front with those twin headlamps. They should keep those unique features IMO.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 15:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
It was a different time then, the EFI version of Pulsar costed a lakh rupees on road which made people wonder if it was safe to spend a bomb on a Bajaj bike.

Its actually how much the customer is willing to spend for your product.

For example the RE Classic 350 is costlier than the P220 and also the R15 (which has EFi as standard) despite coming only with Carb and even no tubeless tyres

But it seems that the customer doesn't mind loosening his purse strings for the lower on Royal Enfield that is Lesser in Feature, needs relatively more TLC and Lower on performance and Refinement than the Bajaj and Yamaha.

It's pointless to blame Mahindra here. Had there been 6-10 month waiting lists for the Mojo, Mahindra wouldn't have been toying with the idea is cutting down on features.

Actually its the customer that is to blame.

P.S: Now don't state the lack of dealers as the cause, since if there is a big demand, the supply i.e dealerships is not that difficult to set up.

Old 23rd August 2016, 16:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
I wonder if the same strategy will work for Mojo in this day and age. Even after these minor changes, the bike will still be perceptively expensive, add to that the competition. I personally like the Mojo, even its front with those twin headlamps. They should keep those unique features IMO.

Exactly my point in the previous post. The Mojo needs as many goodies as it can to stand out of the crowd yet be affordable. And i totally agree that it should retain the unique features and cut costs elsewhere possible. Else at least rework on minor design cues to make it more desirable.
Old 23rd August 2016, 21:39   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octy9833 View Post
The windscreens are already under process for Mojo. Expected to be available in 2-3 weeks time. Backrest is available along with saddle support as of now.

P.S: picture is of a fellow Mojo owner's bike.

Regards
Backrest looks out of place of the bike though. Honestly, this is not the bike to have a backrest.
puneeth2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 20:07   #28
BHPian

Mahindra should do itself a huge favour and launch the scrambler version pronto rather than dilly dallying and becoming the ram gopal varma of the two wheeler industry.

Lower spec'd variant of Mahindra Mojo caught testing-mahindramojoscramblerautoexpo2016.jpg

I had seen this bike in flesh and in case you do want to strip a mojo, this is how it should be done.
gaurav_3000ad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 20:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Amidst breakneck competition between Himalayan, D200-D390, CBR250R and RE500s, there aren't many reasons favourable to the Mojo.
No offence meant and slightly

But when was the CBR ever in competition with any of the bikes listed here? The sales numbers can be at best described as abysmal
Old 25th August 2016, 21:21   #30
BHPian

Quote:
I agree on the Looks part of the Mojo. Its a confused design. In order to grab attention an automobile has to pull the strings of the heart with it looks, everything else comes later .

So am I... and probably it would be the Pulsar VS 400 (earlier known as CS400)

What Mahindra needs are some guys who understand -

Bikes,
Bikers/Consumers (not just limited to enthusiasts) and the
Business of 2 wheelers
Exactly, a product must look good enough to draw the first glance and keep the eyes on it a little longer, and not in disgust. For most part the Mojo isn't terribly bad looking, but that face - the headlamps haven't been give a wider audience before committing to that look. I could still live with those looks, but I reckon 3/4ths of potential Mojo customers are turned off by the look of that face alone.

That, and Mahindra needs to go a few extra miles into assuring potential buyers that they will keep up supply and service for a fixed period no matter what the sales chart looks like. It is tough for Mahinda 2W , since none of their models are big sellers unlike other brands, which have their weak sellers stay in production longer due to profits from the good selling models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
3) Confused product: Neither its a full fledged tourer, nor it does look like a street fighter. It doesn't look like a cruiser either, so what category is it in?

The decision to remove the parts like USD forks, Costly tyres, One exhaust and EFI is welcome.

What should be done :
1) Ugly looks.The bike does not look sporty at all. They first need to remove the hideous double barrel head lamps. The tank shape is still ok but the side panels and the golden bars look crappy.
4) Give the bike a bigger and better pillion seat.
5) Make some arrangement can be made to carry luggage.
6) I am completely fine with missing USD, EFI, Double barrel canister. Just give decent high end MRF tyres in the low cost version. (Remember the Yamaha R15 V1 tyres made of soft compound and manufactured by MRF were not that bad at all).
Yes - that thing about trying to fulfill too many niches. But it's easier to rectify - it's a naked bike, so street-bike role is default. It's good enough in it as a solo tourer. It doesn't need to pull those looking for a cruiser, or off roader. Like the Duke, adequate clearance and suspension travel with robust frame and suspension will be sufficient for most touring needs without trying to be a serious big brother to the Impulse.

About the looks, just changing the headlamps to a more pleasant aesthetic form will work. Better pillion seat and luggage mounts , mounts and connectors for charging devices, lights and putting GPS accessories, uprated suspension for more off-road adaptability and it's set.

While USD forks aren't a highly valued item in India, EFI is now a must have for anything premium. And pretty much everything north of 1 lac INR can be considered premium here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Mahindra better hold on to all they are thinking of removing. Instead; get rid of those weird brass coloured beams on the side, that ugly cowl and please think of a better moniker. It will also help if they can spare the time on improving the chassis.
Actually, I tend to like that brass/gold frame on black. On white it's still alright, but there a black frame would look better. That is the chassis though, it can't be replaced easily with something else easily and cheaply.

Quote:
Exactly my point in the previous post. The Mojo needs as many goodies as it can to stand out of the crowd yet be affordable. And i totally agree that it should retain the unique features and cut costs elsewhere possible. Else at least rework on minor design cues to make it more desirable.
Yes, when you're a nobody in a market that's new to you and has several strong established players, you have to offer more for less. Pushing a cheaper variant that still remains well inside the premium bike range isn't going to make any inroads. There's not a lot of buyers with 1.5 lac in hand and cursing the Mojo for being 1.8 ; they're either buying the Duke/RC or an RE. Most buyers in this price band will either save a bit more or pay the higher EMI and buy it if the Mojo is convicing enough a proposition.

Still, dropping USD forks for regular forks isn't a terrible downgrade, tyres are replaceable, but ditching EFI ? I don't think so.
Ricci is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed