Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2016, 22:42   #31
Senior - BHPian

With the CS400 about to be launched.. Mahindra has a tough time ahead with the Mojo
Old 23rd October 2017, 10:44   #32
Senior - BHPian

Low-cost variant of the Mahindra Mojo spied

A test mule of a Mahindra Mojo was recently spotted on the Kolhapur-Belgaum highway. The spy images suggest that Mahindra could be working on a low-cost variant of the bike.

Lower spec'd variant of Mahindra Mojo caught testing-mojo4.jpg

The test mule can be seen sporting a conventional telescopic front suspension in place of the upside-down type front forks of the current Mojo. The twin-exhaust setup has also been replaced with a single muffler. On the aesthetics front, the low-cost Mojo might dump the twin-barrel headlamp cluster and LED DRLs for a more conventional setup. It will reportedly ride on MRF rubber instead of the expensive Pirelli Diablo Rosso II tyres.

Lower spec'd variant of Mahindra Mojo caught testing-mojo3.jpg

The Mahindra Mojo is powered by a 295cc, single-cylinder, liquid-cooled engine with electronic fuel injection. The engine produces 27 BHP @ 8,000 rpm and 30 Nm @ 5,500 rpm. As seen in one of the spy images, the low-cost version would probably use a carburetted engine.

Lower spec'd variant of Mahindra Mojo caught testing-mojo2.jpg

At present, the Mahindra Mojo is priced at Rs. 1.72 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). The aforementioned changes to the bike are likely to bring down the price of the Mojo considerably, which would enable it to compete with the Bajaj Dominar 400 and the likes.

Lower spec'd variant of Mahindra Mojo caught testing-mojo1.jpg

Source: Rushlane

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 14:48   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: Low-cost variant of the Mahindra Mojo spied

Good move!
Two huge exhausts sticking out of a single cylinder never really made sense.

On second thoughts, I feel they can do away with that ugly front fairing as well, and replace it with a simple round unit. That will prevent small children and animals from getting frightened!
abhishek46 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 20:41   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
A test mule of a Mahindra Mojo was recently spotted on the Kolhapur-Belgaum highway.
This is the only touring ready bike available. If we have a look at the first pic and the riding position, its the best available in India now for a bike of its class.
Its the best bike to tour in a price bracket of <2 lakhs INR.

I can see the pannier mounting frame too, which makes the bike more touring friendly.

My impressions of the bike after a test ride were that there is really no need to do any modifications to the bike to make it touring friendly. Its competitor Dominar doesnot has a touring friendly seating position and add to it the ride quality of Dominar is no where as plush as a Mojo. I hope Mahindra engineers have done their math right and retain the plush ride with the change to conventional forks.

I would also welcome the change from FI to carburetor version, it always increases the reliability and serviceability factor.

Mahindra please do some cosmetic changes to the headlight dome to make it more attractive.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 10:14   #35
BHPian

Please bring ABS. Going long distance touring in Indian conditions without the safety net of ABS is a risky proposition. I wonder why Mahindra did not add it all this while?
ksameer1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 10:37   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

I read a lot of positive reviews about this bike but sadly, I have seen only 2 of them on the road and that too in 2 different cities. This bike has been on test since ages, been launched commercially in a few cities, been stripped down and again being tested. Not sure what Mahindra plans to do with this bike as it seems like a never ending R&D project rather than a product to be launched.

With the way Mahindra two-wheeler division has performed/perished, it won't inspire much confidence to buy this bike even when it is launched again.
Old 24th October 2017, 12:31   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
This is the only touring ready bike available. If we have a look at the first pic and the riding position, its the best available in India now for a bike of its class.
Its the best bike to tour in a price bracket of <2 lakhs INR.

I can see the pannier mounting frame too, which makes the bike more touring friendly.
Yes, but are quite a few problems.

1. Very limited dealerships and service support.
2. Looks cause indigestion to many. (sorry, no offence to owners)
3. Mahindra changes it's 2 wheeler strategy every week. One week they decide they will launch xx number of products, next week they decide to leave the 2 wheeler market itself.
4. No ABS
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 13:00   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The test mule can be seen sporting a conventional telescopic front suspension in place of the upside-down type front forks of the current Mojo. The twin-exhaust setup has also been replaced with a single muffler. On the aesthetics front, the low-cost Mojo might dump the twin-barrel headlamp cluster and LED DRLs for a more conventional setup. It will reportedly ride on MRF rubber instead of the expensive Pirelli Diablo Rosso II tyres.
Makes good sense to skip the tyres as the cost of tyres is reduced by almost 50 percent. Although, the tyres was one of the strong points that went in favour of the Mojo. The grip levels were great and perfect for touring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Please bring ABS. Going long distance touring in Indian conditions without the safety net of ABS is a risky proposition. I wonder why Mahindra did not add it all this while?
Though the Pirelli tyres provide excellent grip, the rear wheel does lock up under heavy braking. ABS variant is a must for the Mojo. Though I'm positive that it will be introduced soon since ABS will be mandatory from April 2018.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Mahindra changes it's 2 wheeler strategy every week. One week they decide they will launch xx number of products, next week they decide to leave the 2 wheeler market itself.
True that. They want to exit the mass market segment, then what's the point of a low cost variant of the Mojo? The engine would be the same (I'm guessing), with a carburetor. The bike would still be priced around 1.3 Lakh range. Agreed that this seems like a good price to pay for a 300 cc motorcycle. But this would totally kill the current Mojo and then what's the point of having dealerships like these?

Last edited by Omkar : 24th October 2017 at 13:01.
Omkar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 13:20   #39
Senior - BHPian

Re: Lower spec'd variant of Mahindra Mojo caught testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mod Note: Lower-spec Mojo posts moved to a new thread. Thanks for sharing!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ojo-spied.html

Another thread on the same topic. Please merge.
Old 24th October 2017, 13:36   #40
Senior - BHPian

Getting Rid of that unnecessary extra exhaust is a good move and Conventional Front Forks replacing the USD, if that helps in cutting costs then why not?

A Simple round headlamp would have done wonders to the aesthetics. The bike still is UGLY. The oversized Radiator Shroud is also an eyesore. Another simple trick could be to lose that useless Golden Ribs beneath the tank.

Hope "Fi" isn't omitted and wish (but most likely wont) it gets ABS.

payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2018, 20:11   #41
BHPian

Mojo UT300 Arrives at Mojo Dealerships

Much awaited new variant of the Mahindra Mojo has finally arrived at Mojo dealerships. It is being called Mahindra Mojo UT300, it is based on the Mahindra Mojo which is currently on sale, but minus certain features, equipment and FI.

Lower spec'd variant of Mahindra Mojo caught testing-mojoxt3001.jpg

Mahindra Mojo UT300 is powered by the same engine, but instead of Fuel Injection system it has a carburetor. It also missed on the USD forks in the front, dual exhaust, LED DRL in the front and the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II tyres. Instead, it gets MRF tyres of same size.

Lower spec'd variant of Mahindra Mojo caught testing-mojoxt3002.jpg

Also missing is the golden accents which have been seen on the existing Mojo FI. Mojo UT300 gets a black chassis and swing-arm. It is offered in two colour options – Red and Blue. The pillion seat is also revised, and is wider than the one we have seen on current Mojo. Thanks to these changes, price of the Mojo UT300 is estimated to be about 30K-50K less than the current Mojo which is on sale.

Lower spec'd variant of Mahindra Mojo caught testing-mojoxt3003.jpg

New Mahindra Mojo UT300 will be on sale along side the Mojo FI. From now on, the Mojo FI will be known as Mojo XT300. Mahindra Mojo UT300 is the name of the carb variant and Mahindra Mojo XT300 is the name of its FI variant.

Source : RushLane

Last edited by Funny : 14th January 2018 at 20:13. Reason: Added line spacing
Funny is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 10:35   #42
BHPian

Re: Mojo UT300 Arrives at Mojo Dealerships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Much awaited new variant of the Mahindra Mojo has finally arrived at Mojo dealerships.
No FI, no ABS, this simply doesn't make any sense. Mahindra isn't Bajaj or Hero so common people won't buy and there aren't enough tech or safety features so enthusiasts won't buy either. At least have FI and ABS as an option.
ksameer1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 13:26   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
No FI, no ABS, this simply doesn't make any sense. Mahindra isn't Bajaj or Hero so common people won't buy and there aren't enough tech or safety features so enthusiasts won't buy either. At least have FI and ABS as an option.
Since ABS is going to become mandatory from this mid-year, they will have to launch it sometime later anyway. But FI is omitted to keep the cost low, they are targeting D400 customers and also those who are on tight budget. This could work out well for Mahindra, since the gem of the bike (read as engine) is tried and tested by its existing customers for well over lakhs of KMS collectively. But it is a let down to existing customers (including me) as they have bought a cheaper variant of the "rare" premium product that we had bought just 2 years back, without addressing some of the important issues like the non-existent headlamps and brakes.

Last edited by Funny : 15th January 2018 at 13:29.
Funny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 10:30   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
But FI is omitted to keep the cost low, they are targeting D400 customers and also those who are on tight budget.
I am not sure if Mahindra will be able to win over customers purely on price unless they are able to pull rabbit from the hat. Currently Mojo retails for around 1.7 lakh while Dominar sells for around 1.5 lakh. Unless cheaper version of Mojo undercuts say RS200 through disruptive pricing, I wonder how much attention will it get. Personally for me, I would have considered Mojo but lack of ABS is something I am not able to ignore.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 12:07   #45
BHPian

Re: Lower spec'd variant of Mahindra Mojo caught testing

Eagerly awaiting the lower spec version of Mojo in 2023 (since they have a minimum 3/5 year "testing" and "researching" period for Mojo).

Read Initial Mojo Rumour
Mojo Testing
and Mojo Abs Testing

The main USP of the bike was the total premium package offerings for a lower price, those who bought the Mojo understood this and bought it. I wonder who is the target audience now.

Maybe if this doesn't work, then the next 5 years they will be working on to make the lower CC version.

Jokes apart, they are trying hard and that is appreciable but just maybe they have lost the track of the current market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks