Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2016, 20:32   #1
BHPian

Lower spec'd variant of Mahindra Mojo caught testing

As per this scoop, The upcoming variant of Mahindra Mojo is all set to lose the following features with an aim of cost reduction.
  • Left Silencer Canister
  • USD Fork
  • EFI
  • Pirelli tires
Lower spec'd variant of Mahindra Mojo caught testing-mahindramojonewvariantspyshotfront.jpg
Source
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 21:41   #2
BHPian

Re: PIC : Mahindra's Mojo 300cc caught testing near Pune. EDIT: Now Launched

^^^Might as well give the product a dignified burial, IIRC features like USD forks, Pirelli tires et al were the USP of the product. Why would anyone else plonk their dough on this and not on a ceeber which has proven credentials?
hothatchaway is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 01:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wise move from Mahindra according to me.. that second exhaust was useless, the upside down forks add to the cost without much tangible benefit

Dumping Fi would also significantly cut costs.

These cost cutting measures might make the Mojo project economically viable

Last edited by payeng : 20th August 2016 at 01:28.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 02:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: PIC : Mahindra's Mojo 300cc caught testing near Pune. EDIT: Now Launched

^^ Losing the left side silencer canister will benefit in some weight savings for sure along with the cost savings. USD forks is also not too big a deal. But losing EFI in this day and age on a motorcycle touted to be a tourer is not a good move IMO. The tyres can be an option though just like how TVS is giving the option of going for Pirelli rubber on their RTR200 (though not sure if anyone has taken delivery of a bike shod with Pirelli yet). Keep EFI, give the Pirelli tyres as an option at the time of purchase and reduce the cost to see some decent numbers on the roads soon.
abhinav.s is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 08:47   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Lower spec'd variant of Mahindra Mojo caught testing

Mod Note: Lower-spec Mojo posts moved to a new thread. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 11:02   #6
BHPian

The things that are removed were the only things that made the bike worth its money.

So now its toned down to the le version and suddenly it becomes very expensive.

Instead of working on improving the looks and other performance upgrades this downgrading will dent the bikes image making the first version look like a mistake.

And this was supposed to be a 5/6 year's researched product ?
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 11:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Carb instead of Fi - Rs. 15,000 less

Conventional Forks instead of USD Forks - Rs. 10,000 less

Single exhaust instead of Two - Rs. 5,000 less

How does Rs. 30,000 less of the sticker price sound?

At Same Power Output and Probably 5 kgs less?

BTW I won't mind..

1. Better Brakes and

2. ABS and Pirelli tyres as Options

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th August 2016 at 12:16. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post within the 30 minute window to add more contents to it. Thanks!
payeng is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 14:17   #8
BHPian

Pointless exercise - it would work if the current Mojo was a moderate success with 300-500+ units selling a month, then trying to grab more market share with a lower priced variant.

The reason people aren't buying is because Mahindra isn't yet a trusted 2 wheeler brand. Very few want to put down 1.8-1.9 lac on a brand they don't trust , a brand that's yet to prove itself an a long term player. Dropping prices to 1.5 lac with reduced equipment will not fix those. Neither will the looks , in this price band, aesthetics play a stronger role, and I think 80% of the general public will rank this bike as ugly.

I was (still am) in the market to replace my 220. After the first month of follow ups, they forgot all about it and I didn't get the test ride I was asking for. Not a confidence building experience for starters. What Mahindra should do is give written commitments to buyers/owners for full support for at least 5 years - meaning , even if dealers pack up operations due to poor sales, Mahindra will send technicians home with spares to perform service/repairs. After all, even those willing to ignore the looks and brand value don't want a garage queen for which spares aren't available and other mechs don't want to touch/know to fix.
Ricci is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 15:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
The reason people aren't buying is because Mahindra isn't yet a trusted 2 wheeler brand.

Very few want to put down 1.8-1.9 lac on a brand they don't trust , a brand that's yet to prove itself an a long term player. Dropping prices to 1.5 lac with reduced equipment will not fix those.

Neither will the looks , in this price band, aesthetics play a stronger role, and I think 80% of the general public will rank this bike as ugly.
I agree on the Looks part of the Mojo. Its a confused design. In order to grab attention an automobile has to pull the strings of the heart with it looks, everything else comes later .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
I was (still am) in the market to replace my 220.

So am I... and probably it would be the Pulsar VS 400 (earlier known as CS400)

What Mahindra needs are some guys who understand -

Bikes,

Bikers/Consumers (not just limited to enthusiasts) and the

Business of 2 wheelers

Last edited by GTO : 22nd August 2016 at 10:05. Reason: Merging :)
payeng is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 17:35   #10
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd August 2016 at 09:46.
sourav.info111 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th August 2016, 23:41   #11
BHPian

I feel following are the reasons why Mojo is not selling:

1) First and foremost the looks. It really does not attract the masses which are going to buy this bike. Looks is the most important feature in India. The bike should pull the strings of its buyer especially in this segment. Its not a economy segment!

2) Marketing- Mahindra is known for its marketing adds and the themes which they have for marketing their "SUV's". In two wheeler they are not able to carve a niche for them due to the product itself.

3) Confused product: Neither its a full fledged tourer, nor it does look like a street fighter. It doesn't look like a cruiser either, so what category is it in? I mean the product by its lines, utility and features should make it very clear which market segment its catering to. For eg. the HIMALAYAN makes it clear the intent of the bike which its made for. Its not selling much because most people do not off-road and go to Himalayas often compared to the old school charm of other Enfields. Dukes clearly make a statement that they are the best street fighters available in the segment.

4) The other worries about Mahindra closing down the shop soon on their two wheeler business as its not doing well is not undeniable. The Mahindra two wheeler brand just does not inspire trust in the customers. It still feels like a subsidiary.

5) The pomp and glamour of launching a luxurious bike is missing. Also missing is the feel good factor of owning a Mahindra bike.

The decision to remove the parts like USD forks, Costly tyres, One exhaust and EFI is welcome. Rest of the other things can be and should be in another model as is already being sold. This will reduce the cost of the bike and should make the bike more affordable, a welcome move!

But again the thorn has not been removed, they really need to work on the looks. Whatever efforts they put, this product is not going to sell unless and until they change the looks.

Mahindra is known for their reaction time to the market feedback. But here its completely missing. It seems that Mahindra is not ready to invest heavily to modify the bikes looks. This again sends a signal to the market that Mahindra is not serious about its two wheeler business and may soon close shops.

Why do I still support this bike:
1) Good engine.
2) Better and comfortable suspension than the KTM Duke.
3) Looks like a big bike compared to Duke and does not look bare bones. (Although still Duke in its bare bones avatar is a beauty to behold)
4) Better seating posture.
5) Pirelli tyres.
6) Better pillion seat than the Duke.

What should be done :
1) Ugly looks.The bike does not look sporty at all. They first need to remove the hideous double barrel head lamps. The tank shape is still ok but the side panels and the golden bars look crappy. The proportions have gone for a toss. The double barrel cannister looked out of place from day one. Spend some money and get a good designer. Trust me the same bike can be modified to look far better than the crap it is now.
2) The handle bar should more raised to make it the most comfortable tourer.
3) Make the bike more spacious.
4) Give the bike a bigger and better pillion seat.
5) Make some arrangement can be made to carry luggage.
6) I am completely fine with missing USD, EFI, Double barrel canister. Just give decent high end MRF tyres in the low cost version. (Remember the Yamaha R15 V1 tyres made of soft compound and manufactured by MRF were not that bad at all).

Last edited by amit_purohit20 : 20th August 2016 at 23:48.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 04:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

If the bike retails at 1.5lakhs, I don't see why it is such a bad move. Folks that are looking at the CBR250 or D200 now have a far more relaxed yet more powerful option at a competitive price. The Mojo still has that interesting tacho that lights up as the needle climbs past the revs, sounds amazing, and has a great motor for cruising down the highway. The Duke is a bit knife edged, and while the CBR250 is a great sport tourer which RC owners like myself would find extremely comfy on long rides, there are still plenty of people who want that upright stance and apart from the upcoming VS400, I don't know of many such modern highway cruisers.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 22nd August 2016 at 05:03.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 11:29   #13
BHPian

Hey guys,
Based on my initial ownership of the Mojo,
Pros:
1) Good tourquey engine
2) Lower vibes on the handles (Thanks to all the rubber damping around)
3) Decent riding posture
4) Excellent Service team/management involvement (For a very valid reason. Will be detailed in my ownership log coming up)

Cons:
1) Iffy quality in some parts (again, will be detailed in the log).

At the price, there are no other proper tourers save the royal enfields or the absolutely awesome duke 390/venerable CBR250rs . All of them have their own advantages and disadvantages. I believe mojo is trying to strike a balance between all of them, considering the capabilities of the vehicle.

Regards
octy9833 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 13:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra better hold on to all they are thinking of removing. Instead; get rid of those weird brass coloured beams on the side, that ugly cowl and please think of a better moniker. It will also help if they can spare the time on improving the chassis.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 13:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Mahindra better hold on to all they are thinking of removing. Instead; get rid of those weird brass coloured beams on the side, that ugly cowl and please think of a better moniker. It will also help if they can spare the time on improving the chassis.
A new design even if minimalist, would simply add to costs. The bike was actually initially engineered to be a sporty street-fighter but then I guess Mahindra saw a void in the market for a tourer and sought to seek after that audience. It definitely shows. Although owners report that lowering the forks by a couple of cms vastly improves handling.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks