Team-BHP - July 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   July 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/179411-july-2016-two-wheeler-sales-figures-analysis.html)

A look at the 2 Wheeler Sales figures for July 2016. Number courtesy- Autopunditz

July 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-totalsales.jpg

July 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-top20chart.jpg

July 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-top20table.jpg

Sales in the month of July continued to be flat compared to the last couple of months. The Activa continues to dominate and has considerably increased the lead over the Splendor, The new Splendor I smart does not seem to have made much of an impact. The Bajaj V seems to have settled around the 25k mark. The Royal Enfield Classic 350 slowly but surely continues to rise up in sales.

July 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-top20gainerschart.jpg

July 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-top20loserschart.jpg

The most noteworthy among the gainers and losers in the Honda Navi. The quirky little Moto scooter seems to gaining acceptance with the sales crossing the 5 figure mark. Good to see a new non conventional product starting to do well. Hopefully this will encourage others also to bring in non conventional products in the mass segments.

Manufacturer Level Sales Trends with Market Share and Trend Charts

July 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-manufmsstrendchart.jpg

July 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-manuftop6.jpg

July 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-manufbottom6.jpg

July 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-manufmsstrendtable.jpg

July 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-salestrendtable.jpg

Royal Enfield crosses 50K in sales and the battle between Hero and Honda hots up (Covered in detail later). Rest of the bunch hold on to their regular numbers.

Segment level sales based on CC

July 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-segmenttrendschart.jpg

July 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-segmenttrendtable.jpg

Moped vs Motorcycle vs Scooter-Sales Trends

July 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-segmentmcscooterchart.jpg

July 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-segmentmcscootertable.jpg

With overall sales flat, it is still interesting to see that Motorcycle sales have gone down while scooter sales have gone up. If you look at the Top 20 Gainers, several scooters have gained numbers. Expect this to continue to rise since urban buyers will always prefer a scooter as a short distance run about as compared to a bike.

Model Level Sales with MoM Historical Details

July 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-total1.jpg

July 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-total2.jpg

July 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-total3.jpg

July 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-total4.jpg

July 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-total5.jpg

July 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-total6.jpg

July 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-total7.jpg

July 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-total8.jpg

Found this chart very interesting (Market Share). Folks at Hero need to be very worried about it. Honda seems to be slowly but surely catching up. Majority of the sales is still driven by the Activa, but the Activa seems to be continuing to grow in popularity. At the same time Hero's flagship Splendor seems to struggling to match its lofty standards. The new Splendor i smart does not seem to have helped boost the numbers which would be worrying for Hero Motorcorp. Would be an interesting battle to watch over the next few months.

July 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-herovshonda.jpg

Some other points based on previous comments

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 4022956)
Hello Rajeev, thank you for compiling & giving us the numbers month on month. Thanks a lot.

I think there's a minor correction to be done, pls review my suggestion & let me know if I made a slip up. So summing all vehicle capacities > 500 cc segment works only to 687 (inclusive of R3) and 635 excluding R3.Tks
happened in Mar, Apr & May 2016 as well

(Quoting from the previous months thread) Hi aargee, I rechecked the numbers and it looks like the totals are accurate from my side. Have made the edit for the R3. Thanks for pointing it out

Source: Autopunditz

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorcycle Section. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing Rajeevraj.

Key points from your data shared:

1. Scooters are clearly on the rise, surely for a value driven country they are finding more use than bikes for everyday commute.

2. Good to see performance motorcycle being accepted well, thanks for mature biking culture.

3. Honda Motorcycles, clear example of how good a strategy is implemented, slow but steady growth and absolutely unstoppable.

4. TVS & Bajaj trying to create a Niche for themselves even though they are fighting in mass market segments.

5. With poor infrastructure in our country, the 2 wheeler sales will always be on the rise, blame it on either bad public transport or preference of not been able to use 4 wheelers everywhere (of course affordability is the prime reason too)

Read from a Malayalam news paper (Last month) got the following Interesting news

In Kerala, Royal Enfield bikes (all models together) outsells any other manufacturers (only in Bike sales)

Kerala is the only state where Hero is behind to RE

Kerala's two wheeler sales splits into 70%Scooters and 30% Bikes

Bike sales per month is 17000-18000 on average, out of which Enfield sells 5000-6000 per month.

Hero's top sellers are not the splendor family but Glamour and Passion in Kerala

Similarly, Bajaj's best sellers are Pulsars and Avengers (Not the 100-125cc commuter bikes)

It shows more young people are interested towards more powerful bikes here

Regarding Scooter sales, its the usual story, Honda leads the pack with Activa and Hero, Yamaha and TVS fighting for second

Link to news : http://www.manoramaonline.com/fasttr...in-kerala.html

Thank you for the great analysis, Rajeevraj!

The sales numbers for TVS XL is amazing, presume these are now brought in by a single model TVS XL 100. Seems to have stabilized at around 75000 units, presume they have launched it country-wide by now. Is the cheapest such two wheeler, and considering the way Bajaj (CT 100) dealers baited it for its mileage, does not seem to have paid off for the Bajaj dealers (the CT 100 sales are indicating a declining trend). Wonder if we will get more auto-geared mopeds launched in the market.

Hope the sales for Bajaj V 15 stabilizes atleast at the current numbers and dont go on declining. Is a really capable bike.

The declining numbers for the new Suzuki Access is sad. Other than some unverified feedback that the body paint quality is not long lasting, did not come across any other issues yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manij (Post 4045027)
Thank you for the great analysis, Rajeevraj!

The declining numbers for the new Suzuki Access is sad. Other than some unverified feedback that the body paint quality is not long lasting, did not come across any other issues yet.

The Suzuki plant was shutdown for few days (around mid June) as part of some yearly plant maintenance. Adding to that, there was a recall issued for the earlier batch of Access and so the production of new ones was temporarily suspended. It all added up to the huge backlog and so no new vehicles were delivered for a couple of weeks or so. So that might be the reason for the dip in the sales for the month of July. As of now (at least in Bangalore), the waiting period for the new access is close to 1 month.

Interesting to see that TVS has quite a high share of scooters. But there is an increasing trend of 125cc scooters which they are completely absent in. Do they have a plan to address this?

Segment wise top performers

Segments classified as

Commuter / Economy Segment : Includes the entry level 100cc offerings from the respective OEMs
Executive / Premium Commuter Segment : Higher priced 100cc/125cc along with entry level 150cc Motorcycles have been included
Premium / Sports / Performance Segment : High-end 150cc and above

July 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-15.jpg

July 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-22.jpg

July 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg

# The premium segment has the most no. of models with 8.08 lacs of units sold. These models would bring more revenue though the volumes isn't as high as Executive segment because if the ticket size.

# Honda doesn't have an entry level bike.

# Hero has not been able to crack the premium segment, but has CD Dawn in commuter segment and Splendor in Executive segment topping the charts.

# Bullet leads the premium segment, quite a come back of sorts for the company :thumbs up.

# Bajaj loses the executive segment to Hero and Honda but has strong foothold in premium segment with the pulsar and avenger range keeping the cash registers ringing

# It is surprising that Yamaha after 3 decades of existence hasn't managed to crack any of the segments

http://www.autopunditz.com/

At #6 in the Premium segment chart, is that Unicorn 160 or the relaunched Unicorn 150? Or are their sales combined?

No doubt that Activa grabs the pole position. Its a great scooter but the main let down is its suspension. I can say this after 82,000 Kms of heavy usage. Aprilia SR-150 would give some tough competition to the legend but looses out on under-seat storage. It would mainly attract college-goers who are bored of bland looks of activa.

Thanks for the detailed analysis. I can see that Hornet 160 sales is declining month on month. Have seen a lot of positive reviews about this bike and had even kept this in the shortlist for my upcoming bike purchase. Can anyone tell me what the reason for this decline could be? Thanks.

The Kawasaki Ninja 650 has been listed twice once in the Bajaj bucket and once in the Kawasaki bucket, both having different sales figures so it is a little confusing. Also, there is no mention of the Versys 650 so maybe there is some error or half information from the manufacturer's end.

Triumph sales are down significantly when compared to the previous months.

Sad to see the month-on-month low sales figure of CBR650F. I haven't seen a single 650F in Pune roads yet which is sad considering it is quite a versatile sports tourer.

It seems MT-09 deliveries have finally begun. 4 units have been dispatched. Eager to see how she looks in flesh !

Quote:

Originally Posted by //M (Post 4054142)
The Kawasaki Ninja 650 has been listed twice once in the Bajaj bucket and once in the Kawasaki bucket, both having different sales figures so it is a little confusing. Also, there is no mention of the Versys 650 so maybe there is some error or half information from the manufacturer's end.

Triumph sales are down significantly when compared to the previous months.

Sad to see the month-on-month low sales figure of CBR650F. I haven't seen a single 650F in Pune roads yet which is sad considering it is quite a versatile sports tourer.

It seems MT-09 deliveries have finally begun. 4 units have been dispatched. Eager to see how she looks in flesh !

I would love to see the Versys 650 numbers and Versys 1000 numbers. do you think SIAM can provide this info ?