Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2016, 20:45   #16
BHPian

Re: An affair with Hondas: Unicorn sold, now with a CBR 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teesh@BHP View Post
Not really sure if I should go against his words though.
I have got it done. Just ensure the pads aren't rubbing the disc without the pedal being depressed and also the sensitivity of the brake light.

This might help you.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 09:26   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
C'mon, it is just a matter of getting used to. I am 6'2 and found it weird to have my ankles positioned awkwardly. But after a 200km highway ride, I got used to it.
Yes, I did get used to it. But doesn't hurt to get it solved though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
I have got it done. Just ensure the pads aren't rubbing the disc without the pedal being depressed and also the sensitivity of the brake light.

This might help you.
Thank you. I will check with the ASC again or try it myself
Old 8th September 2016, 09:55   #18
BHPian

Congrats for getting her home. CBR 250R is definitely a bike that bring smile onto your face every time you rev her on highways.

And "same pinch" to Silver Surfer from Greyhound.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...omes-home.html

Wish we were in same city and could do a photo shoot together for them.
Old 8th September 2016, 16:44   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulba View Post

And "same pinch" to Silver Surfer from Greyhound.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...omes-home.html
Hey, congrats to you too! Your grey hound looks cool as well
Old 9th September 2016, 15:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Nice review. I agree with your observation that the bike is perfect for touring.

I miss my bike nowadays as I cannot ride because of shoulder pain, issue with desk job I think. Planning to get the handle bar raised soon.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 18:03   #21

Man! What co-incidence! It is like almost as if I wrote it

I have a Unicorn too. A 2007 Model.
Although, Unicorn was my ride for like ~75k kms, I totally second all the niggles you mentioned of the otherwise superb city bike.

And, I too bought a pre-worshipped 2012 CBR 250R (Red and Silver) a month ago. The guy who sold it had done just 15.5k kms in the 4 odd years he had. The dude used to wash and polish the bike every alternative day and serviced it at regular intervals. So, no complains on maintenance.
I can relate to everything that you mentioned about this bike. Sometimes I feel I bought it just because it has brakes which even a segment higher don't have.

This is my ride along with its younger sibling.

An affair with Hondas: Unicorn sold, now with a CBR 250R-img_20160827_085907.jpg
rohangopal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 08:16   #22
BHPian

Wow, the bike still looks fresh out of oven! Look at those silver rims, they still shine!

Good find there mate, cheers!
Teesh@BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 12:08   #23
BHPian

Update: MotoJack, an alternate to Paddock

Got myself a 'motojack' which looks like this:

An affair with Hondas: Unicorn sold, now with a CBR 250R-13996275_533303626863672_1603793582477474049_o.jpg

It retails for Rs 1399, way cheaper than any standard paddock stand. Check out the video below to see it in action:

It is compact, portable and can be easily operated by one person. This is a boon for someone who travels long distances wherein frequent chain lubing is necessary. Obviously, this cannot be used as a stand to rest your bike like a paddock, but hey most of the riders use paddock only to maintain their bike chain anyway.

Available at MotoArmour in Whitefiled, Bengaluru.
Teesh@BHP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 17:57   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohangopal View Post
I have a Unicorn too. A 2007 Model.
Quote:
A Honda CB Unicorn 150; that was the bike I rode for 3 years, bike as a child I dreamt of owning.
Same here guys, existing unicorn owner and was this close in buying a Repsol edition cbr250 but backed out at the last minute due to the poor condition of the bike. I am still scratching my head for a proper upgrade. Been begging all the dealers in Hyderabad for a test drive but none obliged. Even wrote to the Honda guys but in vain. Anyways, congrats to you both and enjoy munching miles with the bullet proof honda reliability.

Quote:
Although I loved her as much as I did, she wasn’t perfect. The brakes were downright pathetic. Period. Fishtailing wasn’t rear; they were common, way too common! High speed manners were nowhere good, couple that with mediocre engine and horrendous brakes, long highway trips were both risky and scary.
The only reason i could attribute to the brakes and fishtailing is the crappy MRF Zappers. These are one of the worst tyres made by Mrf. I have used them for 50 K km approx and faced the similar issues right from day one. Switched over to Michelin Sirac street and the trust me, i have done 1.2 Lakh KMs till date and the tyres are still holding the grip phenomenally. No fish tailing at all.
Abhi_abarth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 11:23   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
The only reason i could attribute to the brakes and fishtailing is the crappy MRF Zappers. These are one of the worst tyres made by Mrf. I have used them for 50 K km approx and faced the similar issues right from day one. Switched over to Michelin Sirac street and the trust me, i have done 1.2 Lakh KMs till date and the tyres are still holding the grip phenomenally. No fish tailing at all.
I did change the tyres after 15K kms to the Michelin's Sirac street ones. Like you said, it did help a lot with the handling of Unicorn and Fish-tailing were a bare minimum! However, nothing could have be done about the brakes, riding my brother's gixxer made it apparent as to what I was missing.

And yes, please do upgrade to the CBR! As you must already know, they are available at drool worthy prices in the used market and are in quite a number too. I am sure you can find the right one if you keep looking. Trust me, for the price it goes, it redefines the whole VFM term! It will always make you smile.

Good luck hunting!
Old 12th October 2016, 12:08   #26
BHPian

Guys, I am planning to go for a used CBR250R to fulfill my biking desires .
how would you suggest one for completely city use (Bangalore traffic) 40kms a day.
Would it be wise to go for it based on its sporty stance consider the wonderful roads and traffic here. I neither want to regret buying one nor settle for a regular commuter bike instead.
Your neutral views as owners pls
Old 12th October 2016, 13:01   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp_fanatico View Post
how would you suggest one for completely city use (Bangalore traffic) 40kms a day.
Why don't you rent it for a couple of days and check it out. I think this is available with wicked rides. You will have first hand experience of using this bike yourself. You can find out if you can live with this bike everyday.
girimajiananth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 13:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Would it be wise to go for it based on its sporty stance consider the wonderful roads and traffic here. I neither want to regret buying one nor settle for a regular commuter bike instead.
I have used CBR250 in Bangalore for a good 3 years. It's one of the most reliable bikes I've ever used. Nothing apart from the regular service. Just make sure you run-in the bike as instructed in the manual.
Regarding the sitting posture, it's only a matter of getting used to it as is the case with any bike.
I also used it as a commuter doing about 30kms daily on Bangalore roads. Go for it.
farhadtarapore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 16:00   #29
BHPian

Quote:

I use my Silver surfer for office commute everyday in Bengaluru. About 30 kms up and down. The bike is agile enough and can be used easily in the city. If you are coming from a commuter bike, initially it will take time to get used to the riding position.

However, since you are saying you will be using it for city usage only, you have better options in the form of brand new Suzuki Gixxer or an used KTM Duke.

CBR 250R belongs to the highways and long rides, this is where you can thoroughly enjoy the bike (Like I primarily do). If my requirements were purely city ride, I wouldn't have settled for the CBR. Mind you, it will make you smile even in the cities, but its on the highways where it will make you grin!

Finally it boils down to you. Try out these bikes and take lengthy test rides in the city and come to a decision.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks