Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2016, 11:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Bajaj to update Pulsar line-up in the coming weeks

According to media reports, Bajaj is planning to update its Pulsar line-up, which includes the Pulsar 150, Pulsar 180, and the Pulsar 220. This comes at a time when the brand is also set to introduce its most powerful bike yet - the VS400.

Though no information about the expected changes on the Pulsar range has been revealed, it is expected that Bajaj will be tweaking the engines of the bikes to make them more economical and reduce emissions. Moreover, the Pulsar range will also likely get ABS and CBS (Combi Braking System), something that the Indian Government will be making mandatory for all motorcycles over 125 cc in the near future. A few cosmetic updates are expected to be made as well.

The Pulsar range is currently showing a downward trend in its sales charts, owing to its ageing design, and multiple new competitors. With the launch of the updated bikes, Bajaj will be expecting the Pulsar to put up a better show.

Source: Autocar India

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd September 2016 at 12:25.
dZired is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 11:53   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Rumour: Bajaj to update Pulsar line-up in the coming weeks

It is already made during an interview with Mr.Bajaj that the new VS400 may not be launched under the current Pulsar brand but will sport an all new brand altogether. So, in addition to this, they are planning to overhaul the Pulsar range to give it a much needed boost.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 12:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

The last time the Pulsar 150/180/220 were updated was way back in 2010.

>> The 150 got 3 piece handlebars
>> The 180 got the bigger chassis and grown up looks of the (original) Pulsar 200
>> The 220 got carburetor which replaced the EFi system (and reduction of its price)

Since 2010 the "Vintage Pulsar Triplets" have been selling with out any major change (save for the color schemes and decals)..

It's about time for a refreshment.
This time in all probability it won't be just dual-color schemes and sticker jobs

Last edited by payeng : 23rd September 2016 at 12:36.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 12:54   #4
BHPian

Rushlane speculates the NS lookalikes will be here by December 2016.

Source below.
https://www.rushlane.com/updated-baj...-12106065.html

Might not give Pulsar enough oomph to match the current Gixxer/Hornet/FZ which are more or less up to date.
rohitoasis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 13:18   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
The last time the Pulsar 150/180/220 were updated was way back in 2010.

>> The 150 got 3 piece handlebars
>> The 180 got the bigger chassis and grown up looks of the (original) Pulsar 200
>> The 220 got carburetor which replaced the EFi system (and reduction of its price)

Since 2010 the "Vintage Pulsar Triplets" have been selling with out any major change (save for the color schemes and decals)..

It's about time for a refreshment.
This time in all probability it won't be just dual-color schemes and sticker jobs
After that they borrowed the engine from KTM Duke, added another saprk plug (total of 3 spark plugs ) and then introduced the Pulasar 200 NS, Pulsar AS and RS respectively. Though the trio as mentioned by you continued as is.
PraNeel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 13:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
Rushlane speculates the NS lookalikes will be here by December 2016.

Source below.
https://www.rushlane.com/updated-baj...-12106065.html

Might not give Pulsar enough oomph to match the current Gixxer/Hornet/FZ which are more or less up to date.
Rushlane is just a BLOG. Not a professional publication.

The 150/180/220 Pulsar's have their own appeal and fanbase..

With the 150/180/220 Bajaj doesn't need to ape the Yamaha FZ (the way Suzuki and Honda has done with the Gixxer and Hornet 160).. all Bajaj needs to do is to build on the appeal of the 150/180/220, something that has worked since 2001

Gixxer, Hornet 160 and FZ are fighting for the same customer base with the 3 lookalikes (140 section rear tyre, Fat front Forks, Bulky tank shape, Dummy Radiator shroud, stubby exhaust)

I see no reason why Bajaj would be tempted to change the current 150/180/220 with NS lookalikes.. (case in point even the much superior NS200 couldn't budge the P220).

Customers like the P150/180/220 just that way they are.. all Bajaj needs to do is take them to the next stage without drastically changing too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
After that they borrowed the engine from KTM Duke, added another saprk plug (total of 3 spark plugs ) and then introduced the Pulasar 200 NS, Pulsar AS and RS respectively. Though the trio as mentioned by you continued as is.
Thanks to our stubborn customers it is Trio that continue to rock the Pulsar sales.. no matter how superior are the new NS and AS are.

the RS seems to be in a different league at least for the customers.. and I see it slowly gain traction.. at least in NCR.

Last edited by payeng : 23rd September 2016 at 13:43.
payeng is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 14:01   #7
BHPian

If I may opine. Pulsar range with (Or despite) its slightly unrefined engine (compared to the butter smooth erstwhile Unicorn, I personally loved Pulsar for this bit) and notchy gearbox did appeal to the masses because of Bajaj's philosophy of constantly updating, adding features every now and then. The competitors back then were a bit late to the party with these features.

In recent past, Bajaj has for some reason not shown keen interest in updating its bread and butter bike while launching the High revenue models like NS/AS and KTMs. The competition in the meantime has launched compelling packages with decent drivetrain, sorted out Chassis and more than enough features to steal the thunder from Pulsar.

Last edited by GTO : 26th September 2016 at 12:43. Reason: Typo
rohitoasis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 14:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to be the party pooper, but technically they didn't 'borrow' the engine. They helped develop it for KTM, which they updated to make the (new) Pulsar series more cheaper.

PS: They added two spark plugs, not one. The Duke has only one plug.
praful is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 15:40   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Sorry to be the party pooper, but technically they didn't 'borrow' the engine. They helped develop it for KTM, which they updated to make the (new) Pulsar series more cheaper.

PS: They added two spark plugs, not one. The Duke has only one plug.
Thanks for the correction regarding spark plug. Yes KTM has one, NS has three. On the engine part it was designed by KTM and manufactured by Bajaj to take advantage of local manufacturing. This helped KTM for a fantastic launch price.
NS is cheaper as it lacks Fuel Injection, USD forks, better tyres and a trellis frame. Had it not been Bajaj auto's collaboration / buying 14.5% stake in KTM they wouldnt have got the engine that is in NS 200.
PraNeel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 16:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the correction regarding spark plug. Yes KTM has one, NS has three. On the engine part it was designed by KTM and manufactured by Bajaj to take advantage of local manufacturing. This helped KTM for a fantastic launch price.
One addition: The KTM 125/200/250/390 were "Developed" in Pune by the Bajaj R&D.. to take advantage of cheaper development costs

Between Design and Maufacturing, Development stage is there is as well.

Quote:
NS is cheaper as it lacks Fuel Injection, USD forks, better tyres and a trellis frame. Had it not been Bajaj auto's collaboration / buying 14.5% stake in KTM they wouldnt have got the engine that is in NS 200.
Perimeter frame is NOT a cheaper/inferior alternative to Trellis frames.. (none of the Moto GP bikes have trellis frame.. but sport perimeter frames)

Update: Bajaj might have started with 14.5%.. but right now the stake in KTM is 48%.. which makes Mr. Bajaj one of the (strategic decision making) member of the KTM Board of Directors.

Last edited by payeng : 23rd September 2016 at 17:03.
payeng is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 17:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:
One addition: The KTM 125/200/250/390 were "Developed" in Pune by the Bajaj R&D.. to take advantage of cheaper development costs

Perimeter frame is NOT a cheaper/inferior alternative to Trellis frames.. (none of the Moto GP bikes have trellis frame.. but sport perimeter frames)

Update: Bajaj might have started with 14.5%.. but right now the stake in KTM is 48%.. which makes Mr. Bajaj one of the (strategic decision making) member of the KTM Board of Directors.
When manufacturing, local testing has to be done. Design still was from KTM and that was the main reason behind Bajaj acquiring stake in KTM.

They were able to modify the engine as they manufactured it. They had done everything possible they had in their kitty for Pulsar trio and they badly wanted a new selling point for Pulsar brand which was facing heat from competition. NS was called the poor cousin of KTM 200.

Last edited by GTO : 26th September 2016 at 12:44. Reason: Typo
PraNeel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 17:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When manufacturing is local testing has to be done. Design still was from KTM and that was the main reason behing Bajaj acquiring stake in KTM.
Not just "Testing" my friend.. but the complete development cycle.

KTM was also on the lookout for a partner like Bajaj to put in money, manpower, manufacturing in order to be profitable like the way it is now.

Quote:
They were able to modify the engine as they manufactured it. They had done everything possible they had in their kitty for Pulsar trio and they badly wanted a new selling point for Pulsar brand which was facing heat from competition.
Really?

Since 2001 the Pulsar continues to be the best selling 150.

The 220 has replaced the Karizma completely.

Mind you both the models do have have any new tech in them.. the customers are in blind love with the old Pulsar trio. Strange no?

Quote:
NS was called the poor cousin of KTM 200.

Poor cousin maybe for you.. but compared to the original Pulsar trio, the NS is light years ahead in performance and handling.
[Personally I like the way the NS200 rides and handles than the 200 Duke]

With the New Gen Pulsars, Bajaj has not been able to Differentiate Clearly with the Old Trio.. for the common people Fuel Injection, Liquid Cooling, USD Forks are all Tech Gibberish.

With the VS things should turn around, as even for a common man just looking at the bike it would be a "HI-FI BIKE" " BHARI BIKE".. even if he will be totally cluless as to what's it in the bike

Last edited by payeng : 23rd September 2016 at 17:58.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 17:46   #13
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
Poor cousin maybe for you.. but compared to the original Pulsar trio, the NS is light years ahead in performance and handling.
Hello Payeng, As i've driven the RS and NS back to back, I can affirm your appeal. If it is the case, What made Bajaj to stop production of NS and replacing them AS? I know many people who weep for missing NS!

Just like how Kristal was mutilated by Bajaj. I owned a Kristal, And i was so happy with performance and features which it offered. So sad to point, Bajaj has the weird tendency to stop good selling models over a fortnight.
CGB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 17:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post
Hello Payeng, As i've driven the RS and NS back to back, I can affirm your appeal. If it is the case, What made Bajaj to stop production of NS and replacing them AS? I know many people who weep for missing NS!

Just like how Kristal was mutilated by Bajaj. I owned a Kristal, And i was so happy with performance and features which it offered. So sad to point, Bajaj has the weird tendency to stop good selling models over a fortnight.

It's the Consumer demand which ultimately drives business decisions. The NS is being exported, that too with EFi to foreign markets.

Where there is is demand, there will be supply - Simple. Like how the demand for the Old/Original Pulsar still continues (even after 15 years) in India.

Or Maybe Bajaj would/should also stop them (the Pulsar Trio).. just like you have made your observation.

Last edited by payeng : 23rd September 2016 at 18:00.
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 18:00   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Not just "Testing" my friend.. but the complete development cycle. KTM was also lookout for a partner like Bajaj to put in money, manpower, manufacturing in order to be profitable like the way it is now.

Really?

Since 2001 the Pulsar continues to be the best selling 150.

The 220 has replaced the Karizma completely.

Mind you both the models do have have any new tech in them.. the customers are in blind love with the old Pulsar trio. Strange no?

Dear Peyang when I made this point it was not my personal view or I wanted to project pulsar trio in a bad way. I immensely like Pulsar range and I have respect for Bajaj for showing the industry that a Indian conceived product can challenge and rule the 150 cc and above segment.

I replied to a post which said pulsar trio were not updated since 2000. From first gen pulsar to the current one [excluding NS and AS] Bajaj did a good job. But it was time for a new gen Pulsar and Bajaj didnt have much options. Every publication / review around that time [2003-05] was of the opinion that Pulsar needs a boost and fast. That's why they went for KTM acquisition and the Pulsar NS was an end result of that. They didnt discontinue the old trio instead introduced more bikes under the brand name Pulsar. [Pulsar LS, AS].

Bajaj KTM partnership was beneficial for both as Bajaj badly wanted a new generation of bike platform and KTM needed a turnaround. In fact all future Bajaj bikes will be sharing platform with KTM.

Regarding the poor cousin it was called by many automobile publications / reviews / users.
PraNeel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks