Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2016, 10:07   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed

I'm back with another Yamaha RX thread, but this time not a complete restoration.

RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-01.jpg

RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-02.jpg

RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-03.jpg

RX craziness and madness started way back in my school days, but till 2010 I wasn't lucky enough to own one. But once I got a chance, I started living my dream. From 2010 I'm a proud owner of Yamaha RX(s)

1994 RX100 (Sold)
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-10.jpg

1998 RX135 4s
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...storation.html
Before restoration

After restoration

Current Avatar

1997 RXG
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...amaha-rxg.html
Before restoration

After restoration

1998 RX135 4s (Sold)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...completed.html

Before restoration

After restoration

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 26th September 2016 at 10:10.
Mr.Boss is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 10:24   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed

A little background behind this purchase
I had 98 RX135 4s and 97 RXG in hand and purchased another 98 RX135 4s without a proper intention. Later I decided to convert one of the 4 speed gearbox to 5 speed and started restoring the latest acquisition. Bike is completely restored to stock 4 speed spec except for the 5 speed sticker theme but I couldn't get a 5s GB or conversion kit. One fine day I came across an ad for used 5s GB. After few chats and calls seller shred the snaps of GB and promised it is very less used and in pristine condition. Transferred the amount and in a weeks time the piece of metal reached me. To my horror it wasn't an 'used' GB, it is 'abused' one and it is no where close to the one in snaps. Called the seller back and got all those non-sense replies claiming that it is still a good one and what he sent is same as what he clicked. I knew it is of no use and sold the GB after losing few bucks. I decided against 5s conversion and started looking for a stock 5s bike and ended up buying this bike

About the machine
Make : Yamaha
Model : RX135
Variant : 5 speed
Year : 2000
No. of Owners : 2
RC Validity : FC done and valid till 2020
Insurance : Valid till Feb 2017

RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-04.jpg

RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-05.jpg

RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-06.jpg
Mr.Boss is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 10:50   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

More about the bike

- Bike is said to be completely restored, but I knew it wasn't (Complete restoration in my dictionary sometimes don't match with others )

- RD350 Paint / Sticker theme

- Yamaha Gladiator Alloy wheels + Front disc assembly

- Stock 5s bike
1L7xxxxxx Engine number
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-11.jpg
4TL10 Block, Running on 3OS piston
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-12.jpg

- RX135 Tiger Speedo assy & Lock set (Speedo wasn't working due to failed cable)
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-13.jpg
Speedo mounted with spacers to accommodate the bigger Headlamp
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-13a.jpg

- Regular side lock is still functional (with another set of keys)
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-14.jpg

- 3.00 x 18 in Front
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-15.jpg

- 2.75 x 18 in Rear
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-16.jpg
Almost new
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-17.jpg

- Stock cat-con silencer replaced with Chrome silencer + Fully open RX100 core
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-18.jpg

- Pillion holder with luggage carrier (from an 1986 RX100, as per the seller)
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-19.jpg

- Endurance Rear shocks
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-20.jpg

- Rajdoot mudflap in rear
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-21.jpg

- Yezdi / RD350 replica headlamp
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-22.jpg

- Custom made brackets for front reg plate
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-23.jpg

- Damaged 2T Oil hose (Currently running on pre-mix)
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-24.jpg

- Missing rear foot rest rubber
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-25.jpg

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 26th September 2016 at 12:06.
Mr.Boss is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 11:15   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quick Review

RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-08.jpg

RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-09.jpg

Completed close to 500km in last 5 days with below observations

Cold Start:
Cold start requires choke and a couple of kicks. On day 2 I tried starting without choke and I was successful only after 10 kicks. I knew this is quite normal, but just FYI

Engine & Transmission:
As per the previous owner he covered 1.5k km after restoration, I hope the run-in should be good. Engine is healthy with no abnormal noise. But I miss the initial acceleration (I doubt the carb tuning) Once she hits the power band, that's a different story altogether. With a higher final drive ratio city driving is effortless.

Braking:
Front disc brake does the job pretty well but the bite isn't that inspiring (at least when compared with my other RX with Pulsar disc setup) Rear brake is nearing the end of life but never let me down in last 500km.

Ride & Handling:
I must accept the ride is pretty balanced with Gladiator forks in front and Endurance shocks in rear. Rear end is softer than all my other bikes. With wider front tire cornering is good but on the other hand steering effort is higher.

Seating:
Old seat foam wrapped with new cover. Neither hard nor too soft

Electricals:
All electricals working except the turn & High beam indicators on speedo console. Maintenance free 2.5LB does the duty pretty well.

Fuel Efficiency:
36kmpl average with a lot of spirited driving & traffic. I will post the detailed FE against different conditions later
Mr.Boss is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 12:02   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Craziness for RX is never ending and almost each of us wanted one, at least. This smoking noisy machine holds a special place in my heart always.

Higher overall drive ratio
3rd gear cruising is possible in normal city traffic (at least the one I'm travelling)

Ride Comfort
Comparatively this bike is softer than all my other RX. For solo riding I feel very much comfortable with the existing setup and yet to check the comfort level with a pillion.

Dislikes:
Exhaust Beat -Specific to this bike
I love the exhaust note of RX and I'm a die hard fan for the same. But this particular bike spoils the fun. Fully open RX100 core creates much of noise than beat.

Alloy Wheels
Somehow the spokes wheel maintains the character of RX. Though the looks are subjective I still love the spokes wheel than alloy wheels

Initial Acceleration
I'm not satisfied with the current level of acceleration. I doubt the carb tuning and let me update once tuning is done.

Wider Front Tire
Looks little awkward and steering is heavier.

Narrow Rear Tire
Stock spec of RX135 5s is 3.00 x 18 and this bike came with 2.75 x 18. All my other RX are with 3.00 x 18 profile at rear. Though 2.75 is sufficient for this bike, 3.00 gives more confidence at cornering and braking.

Future Upgrades & Modifications:
Phase 1:
- Carb cleaning & Tuning
- Replace 2T oil hoses & check the pump condition
- Front brake pads and rear shoe replace
- *Optional* Replace the tank & shield from my other RX (Blue Color with RXZ sticker theme)
- Replace the current speedo assembly with stock speedo + tacho (from RXZ)
- Headlamp reflector swap from Ambassador (Hella) Current beam throw is not satisfactory
- RD350 Handle bar
- Minda Twin horns

Phase 2:
- Spokes Wheel <-- Alloy wheel
- Better Rubbers, 2.75 x 18 in Front & 3.00 x 17 or 3.25 x 16 in rear
- Cat-con silencer <-- Chrome silencer

Phase 3:
- Tank & Shield swap with OE 5 Speed black paint & Sticker theme.
- HL swap to match the looks

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 26th September 2016 at 12:05.
Mr.Boss is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 12:04   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-07.jpg

Thanks everyone for spending your time. All your comments & suggestions are welcome. I will keep this thread updated whenever possible.
Cheers
Mr.Boss is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 09:04   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorcycle Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 12:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your latest purchase

Its a pleasure to see another RX in your stable, just like you I too am not a great fan of alloys, my 5 speed came with a set of alloys which are now buried in a big trunk. The tank and side covers look a lot wannabe, the paint scheme though looks great at 4-6 feet its not done perfectly, from a short distance you can spot a lot of flaws.

Please swap the tank and side covers. Instead of going for the RXZ console you can install the shogun speedo and tacho, looks great and works well. The crown plate in your t stem is different, you cannot install the RXZ speedo console in this crown without a bracket, which will look hideous.

I am a great fan of stock restoration, however the cat con adds an unnecessary 13-15kgs, which you would be better without. The rxz silencer with a hole in the flute makes a pleasant noise, I would recommend that, however the cat con installation would improve your bike's low end manners.

You can also try to down sprocket the rear to improve the low end, 300-18 front tyres are definitely an overkill, try to get those MRF ribbed ones, they are the stuff. I am actually looking for a 300-18 front tyre for my RD, which presently has a new 80/70-18 tyre which looks very funny. If I am able to procure the 18-300 front tyre I would swap the front trye of my RD with the 5 speed. My bike is in the last stages of the build, I will start a thread once its complete. Looking forward to a great eye candy from your stable, all the best, feel free to reachcout if you need any assistance with spares.

Awaiting a detailed restoration.

pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 12:41   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Congrats on your latest purchase
Looking forward to a great eye candy from your stable, all the best, feel free to reach out if you need any assistance with spares.

Awaiting a detailed restoration.
Thanks for the kind words Pramod.

Quote:
The tank and side covers look a lot wannabe, the paint scheme though looks great at 4-6 feet its not done perfectly, from a short distance you can spot a lot of flaws. Please swap the tank and side covers.
Those were already removed & I'm sailing half way through Phase 1 upgrade

Quote:
Instead of going for the RXZ console you can install the shogun speedo and tacho, looks great and works well. The crown plate in your t stem is different, you cannot install the RXZ speedo console in this crown without a bracket, which will look hideous.
RXZ console was already purchased (before I got this bike) along with the worm gear assembly. Also the Shogun parts are not easy to find these days (or I'm not looking at the right channel) and costlier than RX spares.

Quote:
cat con adds an unnecessary 13-15kgs, which you would be better without. The rxz silencer with a hole in the flute makes a pleasant noise, I would recommend that, however the cat con installation would improve your bike's low end manners.
I fell in love with the low end performance of my friend's RX with cat-con and that's the only reason to look for the same. I'm equally worried about the added weight. Can you help me in getting RXZ silencer?

Quote:
300-18 front tyres are definitely an overkill, try to get those MRF ribbed ones, they are the stuff. I am actually looking for a 300-18 front tyre for my RD, which presently has a new 80/70-18 tyre which looks very funny.
Soon I will be switching to 2.75 x 18 in front. If you are interested I can give away the current 3.00 x 18 (PM me your mail ID / Whatsapp number, I will share the detailed snaps)

Quote:
My bike is in the last stages of the build, I will start a thread once its complete.
Awaiting
Old 27th September 2016, 12:48   #10
BHPian

One peculiar thing i noted: your Rx bikes have different avatars than original stock to other model stock,

The rx135 as RXZ theme (blue),
the Rx135 as Rx100 theme, (Maroon)
The Rx135 4 speed as Rx 135 5speed theme, (black)
the Rx 135 tiger as RD350 theme.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 12:58   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
One peculiar thing i noted: your Rx bikes have different avatars than original stock to other model stock,

Quote:
The rx135 as RXZ theme (blue)
I love that blue theme, somehow I couldn't resist myself from applying that.

Quote:
the Rx135 as Rx100 theme, (Maroon)
That's an RXG.
Neither I could find stock RXG tank & Shield nor the stickers. Also I liked the plain looks of RX100.

Quote:
The Rx135 4 speed as Rx 135 5speed theme, (black)
Like I mentioned earlier, the intention behind 5s sticker is something else (5s conversion) which I couldn't make it happen

Quote:
the Rx 135 tiger as RD350 theme.
That's not a Tiger, stock 5s.
RD350 theme was already removed and those parts are for sale
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 13:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Thanks for the kind words Pramod.

Those were already removed & I'm sailing half way through Phase 1 upgrade
You are super fast, I am still continuing the 5 speed restoration started last year. moving into the new house made things further difficult, my wife decided to put chips in the floor and I am loosing stuff in that, smart move by an architect.

Quote:
RXZ console was already purchased (before I got this bike) along with the worm gear assembly.
I too have a set but I decided to go with a modern speedo unit since drilling the hole in the clutch case is not that simple and I have seen a lot of units getting spoiled, please be very careful with the lathe you chose and make sure they have done it before. I am thinking of going for a pulsar unit inside RD meter cups(I have an RDD digital in the bike). Its almost finished, just waiting for the front tyre. I took a last moment decision of getting the side covers and head buffed that might delay things further.

Quote:
Also the Shogun parts are not easy to find these days (or I'm not looking at the right channel) and costlier than RX spares.
What you have said is absolutely true about shogun spares, however that's the only 2 stroke tacho which is a direct fit without drilling the clutch case. I have given one tacho for repairs if it comes out fine you can have it.

Quote:
I fell in love with the low end performance of my friend's RX with cat-con and that's the only reason to look for the same. I'm equally worried about the added weight. Can you help me in getting RXZ silencer? .
That's why I avoid riding other people's bikes

My RXZ is in Kashmir(long story) hoping to get it in a couple of months, I can see if I can let the silencer go, I will let you know. Finding one in the market is definitely not a good idea, here people ask for a heart, lung and kidney for those.

Quote:
Soon I will be switching to 2.75 x 18 in front. If you are interested I can give away the current 3.00 x 18 (PM me your mail ID / Whatsapp number, I will share the detailed snaps)
I was thinking of going for a new zapper, those are rare here, I am yet to visit a MRF authorized shop(I am lazy) once I exhaust that option I will reach out to you, thanks for the offer though, very generous of you.

Awaiting [/quote]

I will start the thread once the build is over, since this was a extremely low priority build it took ages. I might wrap up restorations soon and the RXZ would be the last, I am in no plan to add more bike, maybe another shogun but that's going to be the last one.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 15:50   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Future Upgrades & Modifications:
Phase 1:
- Carb cleaning & Tuning
- Replace 2T oil hoses & check the pump condition
- Front brake pads and rear shoe replace
- *Optional* Replace the tank & shield from my other RX (Blue Color with RXZ sticker theme)
- Replace the current speedo assembly with stock speedo + tacho (from RXZ)
- Headlamp reflector swap from Ambassador (Hella) Current beam throw is not satisfactory
- RD350 Handle bar
- Minda Twin horns
Phase 1 upgrade completed (except for the Handle bar) along with HL replacement.

Purchased Autopal reflector for Ambassador (which is direct fit on the doom this bike had) and unfortunately I slipped it and broke the glass.
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-1.jpg

Stock headlamp with DCM Toyota reflector was another choice, but looks puny with RXZ speedo console. This again is dropped and settled for Hero CD headlamp assembly
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-2.jpg

Speedo Assembly
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-3.jpg

RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-4.jpg

Tachometer
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-5.jpg

RXZ Pilot box
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-6.jpg

Few more spares (Pilot socket, RXZ Meter plate, RX100 HL stay, Fuel Filter, Filter band, HL Bulb, Socket, Minda twin horns, etc)
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-7.jpg

RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-8.jpg

RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-9.jpg

Started dismantling the front end
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-11.jpg

Skeleton
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-12.jpg

Pilot lamps connected
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-13.jpg

Stock meter plate is way forward
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-14.jpg

With some modifications
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-15.jpg

And the final outcome
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-16.jpg

As usual, 2T oil level indicator (DIY from Suzuki Max 100 oil level sensor)
More details explained here
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-17.jpg

RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-18.jpg

Finally a well deserved water wash
RX madness continues: My Yamaha RX135 5-Speed-19.jpg

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 27th September 2016 at 15:53.
Mr.Boss is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 17:01   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
drilling the hole in the clutch case is not that simple and I have seen a lot of units getting spoiled, please be very careful with the lathe you chose and make sure they have done it before.
That's the reason I didn't do it for a long time (in my other RX as well) I should take help from fellow members who did it in past.

Quote:
I have given one tacho for repairs if it comes out fine you can have it.
if I can let the silencer go, I will let you know.
thank you so much

Quote:
My RXZ is in Kashmir(long story) hoping to get it in a couple of months
Kashmir? Durability run or something else?

Quote:
but that's going to be the last one.

I made this promise myself (and to my better half) couple of times before I did 2 more restorations.
Old 27th September 2016, 19:32   #15
BHPian

Mr.Boss, Amazing thirst for Rx family bikes. Nicely done specimens you have. The blue color with RD theme looks great.

Where do you live in Chennai and is your mechanic nearby? I live in Mandaveli and also have a Rx 100 for restoration. Thought I can get your help in this regard. Thanks in advance.
7heaven is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks