Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2016, 14:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tork T6X Electric Motorcycle launched at Rs 1.25 lakh

Can't wait for a proper road test! I know its expensive for a motorcycle but its definitely not priced so ridiculously that it is totally out of reach.
Ather S340 definitely looks superior product including the fit-finish but that is a scooter. :P

I wish them both awesome success in the real world!

Quote:
Pune-based startup Tork Motorcycles has successfully launched India’s first electric motorcycle, the T6X. The Tork T6X is the production version of the company’s fifth prototype and is aiming to revolutionize the vast Indian two wheeler market.

The Tork T6X is claimed to have top-speed of 100 kmph and a range of 100 km on a full charge. The company has set up six public charging stations so far (in Pune and Lonavala) but is hoping to have 100 charging stations in its target cities (Pune, Bangalore, Delhi) in its first phase of operations. Yes, only three cities will get the new Tork T6X motorcycle as of now. They are Pune, Bangalore and Delhi.
Quote:
Built after extensive research and testing of 7 years, some of the noteworthy highlights of the new Tork T6X are full digital display, quick charge and superior acceleration, DRL, ABS, CBS, anti-theft, geo-sensing, Front and rear disc brakes, 17-inch tubeless tyres etc. Weighing 130 kgs, the battery delivers a peak torque of 27 Nm. The battery pack is IP67 certified water and dust resistant. You can find more details in the specs sheet in the gallery below.
https://www.rushlane.com/tork-t6x-el...-12203278.html
Attached Thumbnails
Tork T6X Electric Motorcycle launched at Rs 1.25 lakh-torkt6x1.jpg  

Tork T6X Electric Motorcycle launched at Rs 1.25 lakh-torkt6xphotos4.jpg  

Tork T6X Electric Motorcycle launched at Rs 1.25 lakh-torkt6xphotos6.jpg  

Tork T6X Electric Motorcycle launched at Rs 1.25 lakh-athers340electricscooter2.jpg  

Tork T6X Electric Motorcycle launched at Rs 1.25 lakh-athers340electricscooter13.jpg  

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 30th September 2016 at 14:13.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 14:45   #2
BHPian

re: Tork T6X Electric Motorcycle launched at Rs 1.25 lakh

This is a really good news; a step in the right direction. They've been running prototypes since a long time now, and I'm happy to see they finally took the plunge and brought out a production model. Probably the first electric two wheeler that's also exciting.

P.S. Going through the pictures in the link provided above, it doesn't seem like the motorcycle has ABS.
Old 30th September 2016, 14:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

The range is good for someone using the bike to go to work. But cant be used by people who need to ride as part of work.

I think the design of the bike could have been better since it doesnt need to have a tank like thing.

Since two wheelers form a majority in our cities, hope it kick starts a rapidly growing segment.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2016 at 12:14. Reason: Language
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 30th September 2016, 15:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The range is good for someone using the bike to go to work. But cant be used by people who need to ride as part of work.
It is based on the familiar Yamaha FZ16. At least the final prototype T4X was. I don't think they had the kind of money required to build a motorcycle ground up! But i read that they will soon invest in more R&D.

This is exactly the reason why i feel the Ather S340 will be far superior. It is built completely ground up!

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2016 at 12:15. Reason: Quoted post edited
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 16:00   #5
BHPian

This is good move and I hope the Govt. supports them with incentives and subsidies to control costs. Any reason why Mumbai is excluded from their launch cities considering that it's much closer to Pune than the other 2 cities?
Maverick1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 16:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Ather S340 definitely looks superior product including the fit-finish but that is a scooter. :P

And that is why the Ather S340 makes more sense.. at least the e-scooter appears practical enough (if they can get the pricing right).

Old 30th September 2016, 17:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
And that is why the Ather S340 makes more sense.. at least the e-scooter appears practical enough (if they can get the pricing right).
If you are ready dish out 1.25lacs for an electric 2 wheeler, only then. And given that Ather is going to be much more polished backed by probably a more robust setup / infrastructure, i wonder how would they price it. Maybe they have more faith in their product, so expect the scooter to get more main stream, so price it with some 25k premium to something like the Aprila RS150?

I think given the prices, both won't appeal to wider masses.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 17:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
If you are ready dish out 1.25lacs for an electric 2 wheeler, only then. And given that Ather is going to be much more polished backed by probably a more robust setup / infrastructure, i wonder how would they price it.

Maybe they have more faith in their product, so expect the scooter to get more main stream, so price it with some 25k premium to something like the Aprila RS150?

I think given the prices, both won't appeal to wider masses.
Anything more than 75K, and the Ather S340 won't interest me.

I also somehow can't associate Motorcycles with an Electric Motor. It ain't a motorcycle for me, if it doesn't have "Clutch-Gears-IC Engine-Exhaust Note".

Last edited by payeng : 30th September 2016 at 17:26.
Old 30th September 2016, 17:38   #9
BHPian

While this is a commendable effort, I wonder who is the target customer. Electric vehicle manufacturers should take a leaf out of Tesla strategy. Elon Musk's approach of starting with a niche product (Tesla Roadster) and using that foundation to build mass market products sounds ideal approach.

If T6X had something like great handling, raw power and neck-snapping acceleration, there would be enthusiasts willing to pay considerably more than the current asking price.

However, the current bike is a wannabe commuter in which case it does not bring anything unique to the table. Pardon me for ignorance but would the performance of T6X be able to match up to bikes which are roughly in the same price range?
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 18:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

All premium so called Premium commuter bikes almost cost 90K plus , eg Unicorn, FZ, Karizma.

It is for these people that Tork seems to be targeted.100 kms range seems to be less for such a price and for a bike, I feel this range is ideal for a scooter.

I am sure they will come up with better versions in future if this bike gets going. I am eager to see their scooter though, expecting that to be priced lower and have similar range.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 20:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

This looks promising. A commendable effort and definitely the need of the hour. The 100 km range is adequate for an average commuter to take him to work and back within city with maybe a pit stop in between . The life of the battery is also respectable. Lets hope the product holds up to our road conditions and the elements in the long run. Importantly, the company needs to be up to the task of dealing with any future customer issues. They need to get a massive marketing campaign to let people know this exists and how this is better than its petrol counterpart.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 23:29   #12
MHG
BHPian

If the motorcycle handles as good as it should at this price (comparable with the likes of the KTM Duke and NOT the Royal Enfield Electra), the tyres are grippy enough and the ABS brakes really do work like they're supposed to, I see it as something that'll make an excellent upgrade from a commuter that costs ~80k ex-showroom meant exclusively for city use. If it is deficient in any of these areas, buyers will have a hard time justifying it over the Pulsar AS150, the Gixxer 155 or the FZ v2.0.

Yes you'll need to charge it daily, but with 80km from 1 hour of charging, that isn't very big a deal assuming your commute is shorter than 80km (for most people it is) and you can stick wires out of your house to wherever the motorcycle is parked (a lot of interesting contraptions have come up to the aid of apartment dwellers owning a Reva).

I'd say this is the millennial hipster alternative to the original Reva.
MHG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2016, 10:37   #13
BHPian

Would be difficult taking cables out from my second floor flat in an old society in Mumbai. Why can't the battery be taken out and carried home for charging?
farhadtarapore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2016, 15:20   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Company claims a 1,000+ bookings up already. From their press release:

Quote:
This is reiterated by the fact that the motorcycle has already crossed a whopping 1000 plus pre-booking within 24 hours.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2016, 15:43   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Would be difficult taking cables out from my second floor flat in an old society in Mumbai. Why can't the battery be taken out and carried home for charging?
A 3.5 Kwh lithium ion battery pack will weight between 30 to 40 kgs. Not something you want to lug around every time you need to recharge.
Astleviz is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed