Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2016, 07:58   #31
BHPian

re: BMW G310R-based Adventure motorcycle. EDIT: Unveiled at EICMA 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
I followed up with the same friend and showed him the photo in post #1 of this thread. He confirmed that that was the bike that he sat on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin_b View Post
The pricing looks really promising with only 10k being the difference

I really hope BMW prices it aggressively and gets it to Indian Market at the earliest

I haven't felt so excited in a long time for a motorcycle launch. And it definitely seems like the launch is closer than one would expect. I just hope it lives up to the expectations. This motorcycle and a Skoda Kodiaq will make a great combination in my driveway.

I have a question for fellow readers: What is the general sentiment about the reliability of TVS motorcycles?

From example: No offence to anyone but from what I hear, KTM motorcycles in India have followed the not-so-stellar reputation of Bajaj i.e. engines troubles in the long run, small niggles, wheels breaking etc.

TVS is an unknown for me. I know they used to make tough 2-strokers that have lasted for decades. But how are their 4-stroke engines? I don't see any Fieros or Victors around anymore. Even Apaches are a rare sight in my region.

Thanks in advance.
Old 6th October 2016, 12:54   #32
Senior - BHPian

Is it a PS job, I wonder?
Attached Thumbnails
BMW G310R-based Adventure motorcycle. EDIT: Unveiled at EICMA 2016-ctrvbj1weae3mbs.jpg  

BMW G310R-based Adventure motorcycle. EDIT: Unveiled at EICMA 2016-p90204392highres.jpg  

Viju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 13:00   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCynic View Post

I haven't felt so excited in a long time for a motorcycle launch. And it definitely seems like the launch is closer than one would expect. I just hope it lives up to the expectations. This motorcycle and a Skoda Kodiaq will make a great combination in my driveway.

I have a question for fellow readers: What is the general sentiment about the reliability of TVS motorcycles?

From example: No offence to anyone but from what I hear, KTM motorcycles in India have followed the not-so-stellar reputation of Bajaj i.e. engines troubles in the long run, small niggles, wheels breaking etc.

TVS is an unknown for me. I know they used to make tough 2-strokers that have lasted for decades. But how are their 4-stroke engines? I don't see any Fieros or Victors around anymore. Even Apaches are a rare sight in my region.

Thanks in advance.
I am a proud owner of Apache 160 RTR from close to 7 years. It is a beautiful bike and has not given me one bit of problem in it's lifecycle. The acceleration is smooth and the bike has been amazing to drive.

Compare it to my Pulsar(1st gen with round lights), great to drive for first 6 months, plethora of problems there after. Got frustrated after few years and sold it off, it was a great bike no doubt, but too many niggles.

Give me a TVS over a Bajaj anyday, same reason i am waiting for G310R and Akula to replace my beautiful and ever loved Apache.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 17:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCynic View Post
TVS in general make high quality products, they have awards for quality (Deming, etc).

However, with TVS or any manufacturer what I have learnt over the relatively long ownership of about 9 odd years is that a bike is only as good as its service centre.

The whole service experience is what can make or break a product even its the most reliable bike in the world, and the service experience varies across all cities.

TVS has relatively stronger presence in the Southern states and also a better service experience (from what I have heard so far).

Also, Bajaj typically has more iterations in its product as opposed to TVS who typically have very few product iterations. So if you buy a Bajaj product from the earlier releases, you may possibly run into more issue compared to a TVS product.

Last edited by praful : 6th October 2016 at 17:40.
praful is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 19:50   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post

However, with TVS or any manufacturer what I have learnt over the relatively long ownership of about 9 odd years is that a bike is only as good as its service centre..
+1000 to the above thought! Even the best bikes out there are either made or broken by the service center folks. Have faced this with multiple brands over the years and any manufacturer managed serviced center is only as good as the mechanics they hire and the training they get on the product they are servicing.
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 10:22   #36
BHPian

I do not see many RE Himalayans around in thrissur/ Kochi. It may be that it fell short of peoples expectations or maybe people are following a wait and watch policy for the the initially batches of the bikes to roll out and for RE to sort out the niggles. The bike is certainly under-powered and looks very bare bones basic.

If BMW-TVS launches the adventure-tourer in this segment, it shall surely be a super-hit. With the BMW tag and the segment heating up, customers will not mind paying a certain premium over the likes of the Himalayan. What remains to be seen is the final design and the service and spare-parts issue.

The Benelli 502 surely looks the part and is another one to watch out for.

Cheerio!.
Old 11th October 2016, 07:07   #37
Senior - BHPian

And then there's more news.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/bmw-g310gs-spied/

BMW G310R-based Adventure motorcycle. EDIT: Unveiled at EICMA 2016-1476149437168.jpg

Looks like this is going to be more ADV inspired (Ala Honda CB500X) than actually be a completely thoroughbred ADV. As someone rightly pointed in this thread earlier, the suspension doesn't look like it has much more travel than its road equivalent. And the tank at least visually doesn't look like will have much capacity. This is not a bad thing, it doesn't always need to be a out and out ADV these ADV capable machines are needed on the kind of roads we have.

However, if this is indeed ADV styled bike that gives KTM one more option to fire shots at BMW when it's launches its own small ADV variant of the 390. KTM are you listening?
praful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 17:58   #38

There is even more news. This is from MCN and as mentioned in the article the bike seems to be absolutely production ready too.

MCN - Link

The big question is when will it hit Indian shores...
gprajeesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 12:33   #39

I am actually surprised that we don't have a single proper enduro or a dual sport bike available in our country! No Suzuki DR, no KTM enduro, no Yamaha WRX, No Honda CRF250 even!!! And I don't mean big bore bikes, even a 250 cc like the honda CRF can put a big smile on your face!!

Such a pity we are missing out!!!
Kamran Mohsin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 17:01   #40
BHPian

I wouldn't judge the suspension based on visuals or travel alone!
Sincerely hope the GS label hides more surprises!

It'll be great to see more options coming up in the 2 to 5 lakhs range!
Also, I'm interested to find out what else TVS will cook up from the platform. The akula could just be a tip of the iceberg!
Old 15th October 2016, 18:13   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.r.K View Post
Also, I'm interested to find out what else TVS will cook up from the platform. The akula could just be a tip of the iceberg!

The curiosity of " Dhoom " / Faired bikes is not that strong anymore.. CBR250R hardly does any numbers

The Yamaha R15 does better but still not comparable RE models despite being on sale for 8 years. Same goes for the KTM RC 200/390

Bikes till 2 lakhs will be primarily bought as a "practical" means for commute.. Dhoom bikes seem to lose out on practicality.

"Where is the crash guard?" - for example

AKULA will definitely follow the same trend and be no different

Last edited by payeng : 15th October 2016 at 18:19.
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2016, 17:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

The mini-ADV space is hotting up for sure. Waiting for the big reveal at EICMA next month now. I hope BMW has India on the road map for this ADV variant.

Couple of days back this was the news from Kawasaki about a possible Versys 250 - https://www.rushlane.com/kawasaki-ve...-12209751.html

And just in today is this news about Suzuki's VStrom 250 - http://www.morebikes.co.uk/new-bike-...-suzuki-japan/

I highly doubt if these would ever reach India in the next 4-5 years.

KTM where art thou? 2019 is way too far away !!
Old 21st October 2016, 17:05   #43
Senior - BHPian

Feels like I am spamming this thread

Some more dough - BMW Motorrad reveals 2016 EICMA line up; hints at new GS motorcycles

EDIT: The real source - BMW Motorrad at EICMA 2016. The model offensive continues.

Last edited by praful : 21st October 2016 at 17:12.
Old 21st October 2016, 17:40   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I highly doubt if these would ever reach India in the next 4-5 years.
Even 4 to 5 years will be a tough ask, considering the Himalayan Sales numbers which are around 1200+ not many might have a fancy for these small ADV bikes. But if they do still announce it for 4-5 years...means lot of time wasted in waiting.

Get a suitable bike and enjoy those rides till these come in to the picture.
ku69rd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 23:10   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Mind if I cut in? Can go on and on about this. Legendary GS genes in a small package. What more do you need? Already did that on FB but I'll simply say this was coming. And for sure BMW has fine tuned their recipe here. This is truly THE bike we adventure lovers needed & wanted. It ticks all the boxes but the after sales is a major, major concern. If Honda were to come up with a 250 X it'd be a runaway success. I'm sure BMW-TVS are gunning for victory and all the right stuff is pinned to perfection.

Just slap on those extra touring accessories, bigger front wheel with rims & this is one of those bikes which is already a winner even before it has released. Kudos.
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks