Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2016, 13:08   #61
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: BMW G310R-based Adventure motorcycle. EDIT: Unveiled at EICMA 2016

The 310GS appears more like a practical street bike which has the 'looks' of an adventure bike (the visual GS DNA). With alloys, small tank, lack of a tall wind protection, no knuckle guards, suspension travel (?) etc, this is definitely not an outright adventure/off-roader, but hopefully something that could do well on the broken roads and small trails. In future, hope they have a variant with bigger tank, spokes, etc like how we have multistrada and its enduro version.
I am willing to trade my 390 with 310GS ONLY if the suspension is better. I love my 390 but its too stiff and almost feels like a hard tail, would not mind trading power for comfort. Been waiting for this one for a while, hope they launch it sooner and give test rides.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 14:06   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
On the contrary, it has two rivals in the form of the Suzuki VStrom 650 and Kawasaki Versys 300, both of which got launched at EICMA this year along with the 310 GS.

Unless you were talking about the Indian market only, then possibly out of this trio we may only see the BMW here.

The real contender to BMW's offering both in terms of cost and capability will be the KTM 390ADV *whenever that happens*. From the looks of it that is not coming until 2019 almost. However the response the 310GS gets may help in speeding up KTM's 390 ADV project.
I meant the Indian market of course. Also the BMW came first beating both these machines. Check out Revzillas first impressions of the 310R. Considering BMWs mastery over touring machines as a science, there's no comparison really.
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 11:29   #63
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Not sure, Esp with the recent spy shots of ktm 390 adventure, which if true looks like a purpose build bike which can seriously go off-road. Those spoke wheels, massive looking GC, long travel forks, and a lean body, the KTM will not only be a contender, but may lead the class. Too early actually to comment, but the good news for Adventure bugs like us is that the market is opening up and more the choices, merrier it is. hope they hit the showrooms soon and we get to sample them.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 16:40   #64
BHPian

For people who want some update on the bike, following is the first ever review I came across ever of this bike from BMW:

http://canadamotoguide.com/2017/09/2...de-bmw-g310gs/

The bike has got its own hits and misses. Go through it, enjoy it, and let us all know your thoughts

Here is one more, you need to translate the page. Easy task with Google Chrome

http://www.lerepairedesmotards.com/e...w-g-310-gs.php

Last edited by driverabhi : 25th September 2017 at 16:45. Reason: Adding one more review link
driverabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 17:04   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverabhi View Post
For people who want some update on the bike, following is the first ever review I came across ever of this bike from BMW:

http://canadamotoguide.com/2017/09/2...de-bmw-g310gs/

The bike has got its own hits and misses. Go through it, enjoy it, and let us all know your thoughts

Here is one more, you need to translate the page. Easy task with Google Chrome

http://www.lerepairedesmotards.com/e...w-g-310-gs.php
In light of no adv 390 from ktm, my money is on the baby gs, since it's already available internationally, and will come here eventually. Ktm is no where to be seen and it does look like they were caught napping. Himalayan with abs, it's a no no as a new bike, might get a used one as a beater until these launches come through.

What's interesting is not the review, but the comment right at the bottom from a reader in canada. There is a big big shift to small displacement adv bikes all over the world. Fantastic!
Old 25th September 2017, 20:13   #66
Senior - BHPian

Here's an initial video review.

Waiting to see how BMW prices this in India.
praful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 20:21   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

http://overdrive.in/amp/news-cars-au...ond-half-2018/

G310r and G310gs to be launched in second half of 2018.
Old 9th October 2017, 20:24   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
http://overdrive.in/amp/news-cars-au...ond-half-2018/

G310r and G310gs to be launched in second half of 2018.
That's another full year, and will probably need another reconfirmation by mid 2018!

The bike meanwhile would have completed three years since unveil by then.
Old 9th October 2017, 20:26   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
That's another full year, and will probably need another reconfirmation by mid 2018!

The bike meanwhile would have completed three years since unveil by then.
True, expected BMW to be much more aggressive on this, they could have probably priced it around 5 lacs(in tune to likes of ninja 300) to keep the premium price tag.
Old 9th October 2017, 21:33   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
True, expected BMW to be much more aggressive on this, they could have probably priced it around 5 lacs(in tune to likes of ninja 300) to keep the premium price tag.
Lol 5 lakhs is not even dead on arrival... Its prenatal murder! Who in their right mind will buy this for 5 lakhs.

Anything more than 3 lakhs and this bike will struggle to move off the shop floors.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 22:49   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Lol 5 lakhs is not even dead on arrival... Its prenatal murder! Who in their right mind will buy this for 5 lakhs.

Anything more than 3 lakhs and this bike will struggle to move off the shop floors.
Ninja 300 sells at 4.6 lacs, and this has more gadgetry, plus it has USD, ABS and it has a bmw name. I think they have launched it equivalent of around 5 lacs in Indonesia.

They are currently exporting around 4500 units if I read correctly, and I don't think they are too intersted to dilute the premium of BMW brand by selling truck loads of them here. Happy to be wrong, but the best case scenario I am guessing is 4 lacs, that too I am being optimistic.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 06:34   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ninja 300 sells at 4.6 lacs, and this has more gadgetry, plus it has USD, ABS and it has a bmw name. I think they have launched it equivalent of around 5 lacs in Indonesia.

They are currently exporting around 4500 units if I read correctly, and I don't think they are too intersted to dilute the premium of BMW brand by selling truck loads of them here. Happy to be wrong, but the best case scenario I am guessing is 4 lacs, that too I am being optimistic.
Made in india in the tvs factory, but with a BMW badge.

Sir, unfortunately this bike will only be compared with a ktm 390. Please also note that the ninja 300 is a twin cylinder (though over priced without abs). Knowing kawasaki pricing strategy, the abs will come with no price increase. Rather, i expect them to get more aggressive and lower prices for the new 300 abs to enable more dealership level business.

I would pay upto 4 lakhs on road for a single cylinder 300 cc long travel suspension adv bike.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 07:21   #73
Senior - BHPian

I had heard a rumor of Kawasaki bringing in the Versys 300. If priced right, would be the perfect budget tourer bike for India.
The Versys 300 comes with the same silky smooth twin of the N300 with spoked wheels minus tubeless tyres unfortunately. Though i would love to own the GS, there are these two factors that keeps lingering inside my brain-
1- Being a BMW, its going to attract hell lot of unwanted attention
2- Being a BMW the pricing will be, err, more of a sticker price
Moreover, I am pretty much sure, spares and service wont be an issue because of TVS.
I am in need of a sports/adv tourer bike during H1 2018 and only the Dominar and the Himalayan fits the bill as of now.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 10th October 2017 at 07:22.
Old 10th October 2017, 11:47   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Made in india in the tvs factory, but with a BMW badge.

Sir, unfortunately this bike will only be compared with a ktm 390. Please also note that the ninja 300 is a twin cylinder (though over priced without abs). Knowing kawasaki pricing strategy, the abs will come with no price increase. Rather, i expect them to get more aggressive and lower prices for the new 300 abs to enable more dealership level business.

I would pay upto 4 lakhs on road for a single cylinder 300 cc long travel suspension adv bike.
I agree with your points, and I also think probably 4 lakhs would be a good price.Hopefully BMW doesn't end up being too greedy. If Ninja can lower the price to 4 lakhs with ABS as you suggested they can definitely do very good numbers.

We can only wait and watch.
Old 10th October 2017, 18:53   #75
BHPian

By moving the launch of this bike to 2018 (which might further be delayed) looks like BMW company wants to make as much money as possible from premium markets like Europe.
Once launched in India & at lesser cost, the exclusivity will be lost & consumers outside India might be reluctant to buy same thing at higher price.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks