Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2016, 11:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW G310R-based Adventure motorcycle. EDIT: Unveiled at EICMA 2016

The BMW-TVS duo have just answered the prayers of many ADV bike enthusiasts world over by launching a small sized ADV variant of their recently launched G310 R.

Source (in Italian) - http://www.motociclismo.it/scoop-nuo...oto-spia-66276

Another Source (based on the original Italian article) - https://www.rushlane.com/bmw-f-310-g...-12193905.html

Quote:
BMW Motorrad UK’s director Phil Horton revealed earlier this year, that a new adventure tourer derivative of the G 310 R naked motorcycle is being developed. The upcoming mini adventure tourer has now been spied on test in Europe for the first time. From the looks of it, BMW F 310 GS is all set to make debut at 2016 EICMA next month.

The new BMW F 310 GS would be the third product to come out of the BMW-TVS technology cooperation agreement, the first two being the BMW G 310 R and TVS Akula 310 (previewed by the fully faired concept). Like its naked sibling which was codenamed K03, the new adventure tourer has been developed by BMW Motorrad in Germany and built by TVS Motor Co. in India (Hosur plant).

bmw-f-310-gs-spied-1bmw-f-310-gs-spied-2bmw-f-310-gs-spied-3bmw-g310r-adv-spiedBMW F310GS Adventure
It’s safe to assume that the F 310 GS will share as many components as possible with the G 310 R to keep the cost structure competitive. Spy shots reveal that the upcoming Bimmer features a long travel suspension system, special off-road tyres, and a design which has transcended from the BMW GS big bikes.

The 313 cc single-cylinder liquid-cooled engine and the 6-speed manual transmission would be tweaked to suit the adventure tourer. On board the street fighter, the motor puts out 34 bhp and 28 Nm of torque.

BMW F310GS Adventure
Digital render.
The BMW GS 310 R would be pitted against the KTM 390 Adventure which is also believed to be in the works.

BMW G310R-based Adventure motorcycle. EDIT: Unveiled at EICMA 2016-b_img20160930wa0005.jpg

BMW G310R-based Adventure motorcycle. EDIT: Unveiled at EICMA 2016-b_img20160930wa0006.jpg

Your move KTM
praful is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st October 2016, 13:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hallelujah... bike gods.

Made in Hosur means a lot.

This one appears to have more mass appeal than the bare bones Himalayan.. and most important factor is that it's a BMW GS

I wouldn't mind this baby GS Priced Twice than the RE Himalayan

Last edited by payeng : 1st October 2016 at 13:46.
payeng is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2016, 16:24   #3
BHPian

re: BMW G310R-based Adventure motorcycle. EDIT: Unveiled at EICMA 2016

My friend recently visited the Hosur plant where he saw and was allowed to sit on the bikes. He told me that were three different models. He's not a well informed biker so he couldn't describe the bikes to me, but I did get the impression that atleast one of the three was an adventure bike, the other three G310R and there third an unknown.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2016, 21:18   #4
BHPian

Wow, absolutely stunning. Never thought adventure tourers can look this gorgeous.

I'm sure this can shake up the market pretty well. Finally, some competition (that too next level) to the Himalayan.

KTM, launch your off road bike soon or you're gonna miss the bus.
The Brutailer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2016, 21:50   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
I wouldn't mind this baby GS Priced Twice than the RE Himalayan
Wow im hoping you stand by that statement when the bike actually comes out.. There are too many unknowns about this TVS BMW partnership...even though I do think TVS makes some fabulous bikes and BMW has never put their name to something not well thought out..India is different and there are a lot of factors to be taken into account before blindly buying into what this marriage seems to have produced.
Eg is this bike is going to be serviced by the idiots at a regular TVS service showroom (I sadly have had a lot of experience with these morons by the way). Or alternatively would you like to take your bike to a BMW showroom and probably be charged the same service rates as a 1200 GS??
There is lots more to be taken into account..accesories availability and compatibility, tvs dealers standing by their warranty and a whole lot more (trust me I went through this as my duke is from the first batch of October 2013) so when you do get your hands on the bike by paying double the himalayan cost price let me know how it goes!!! Im definitely going to wait and watch rather than be the first one in line
bik1906 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2016, 23:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bik1906 View Post
So when you do get your hands on the bike by paying double the himalayan cost price let me know how it goes!!!

Im definitely going to wait and watch rather than be the first one in line
WHO said that I AM going to get this bike?

Just because I have posted something doesn't mean that I am looking for a purchase
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 12:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

The interesting part is that this bike looks production ready. However, the authenticity will be verified only when the bike is formally launched. This could very well be a wild goose chase

If this is really the ADV 310GS, what I am skeptical about is "when" this would land on our shores.

More importantly, I am very interested to see how KTM/BAL responds to this. I don't recall the if the markets to which the G310 R was to be exported and how many of those countries does KTM export the Duke/RC 200/390 to.

I hope to have a choice between the 310 GS and the 390 ADV in 2017 to buy in India.
Old 3rd October 2016, 13:16   #8
BHPian

I dont know if its just the angle of the picture or what, but the handlebar position seems like it'll give street focused riding posture, coupled with the small windscreen, I dont think it is a bike worthy of the GS badge just yet. The suspension setups looks to be untouched from the road focused g310 nor is the fuel tank bigger. Only significant difference is the bikini-ish fairing up front and luggage racks on the back. Looks like a tourer edition rather than a proper ADV much like what Mahindra did to the Mojo.
ashwin1224 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 13:41   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
The interesting part is that this bike looks production ready. However, the authenticity will be verified only when the bike is formally launched. This could very well be a wild goose chase
Talking about authenticity, the scoop hasn't made it to any of the major European websites/publications so far which is really weird.
Old 3rd October 2016, 14:15   #10
BHPian

IMHO it looks like TVS had more design inputs than BMW here. However, now it will be really interesting to see what KTM does about their much-awaited 390 adventure. With Himalayan, Versys already in the market, the talks about Africa Twin, rumour about Hero Impulse 200/250, and this; it will be a win-win for adventure seekers for sure. Hope Benelli stirs up their stunning TRK 502 pot as well with an apt pricing.

Last edited by GTO : 4th October 2016 at 10:27. Reason: Typos
creative420 is online now   Received Infraction
Old 3rd October 2016, 15:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Is this for real? Would the BMW launch an affordable adventure motorcyle in the 310 version? Will be very interesting to watch this space provided they price it sensibly.
Hopefully they do launch an equally exhaustive accessories along with the bike.
Old 3rd October 2016, 17:03   #12
BHPian

Surprisingly, bike doesn't have spokes. But bike is wearing on-off road tires. The front wheel looks like 19 inch rim and the rear one 18. Lot of common parts i see from the image. Headlamp, Front USD forks, rear mono-shock are also shared by Akula and G310R.
Considering the bikes available in this segment in market at present, if this bike comes it will be a delight for enthusiasts. Mahindra Mojo, RE Himalayan are the only available bikes and these both bikes are low on power and torque figures for the capacity of engine they come with. Bajaj VS 400 will soon join the league in coming months. There is a speculation about G310 ADV pricing that this bike will be around 2-3 lakhs.

There was a time when people used to convert RE with bigger forks and taller headlamps to make adventure tourer and now by 2017 we will have enough choice in the market to choose the one.
Old 3rd October 2016, 21:20   #13
BHPian

I don't understand why spokes are a good thing. It's so much easier to fix punctures on a tubeless tire. I had an experience recently where a mechanic refused to detach the rear wheel due to the disc brakes.
Old 3rd October 2016, 22:00   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
I don't understand why spokes are a good thing. It's so much easier to fix punctures on a tubeless tire. I had an experience recently where a mechanic refused to detach the rear wheel due to the disc brakes.
Easier to repair in a puncture, also easier to break during off-roading. Alloys generally tend to be more brittle than malleable in nature as compared to spoke wheels.

Also, if you're really into off-roading it is recommended to lower the tyre pressure before doing so. A spoke wheel with a tube inside is more durable in such conditions with low pressure whereas a tubeless tyre will most likely break its bead off the rim, which isn't ideal during off-roading.

IMO, 310 GS should come with optional spokes for people who want that instead of alloys.
maker_of_things is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 23:12   #15
BHPian

Things are looking good !

Interesting !

Things seem to be hotting up in the affordable adventure tourer space now ! First the rumours of a KTM 390 Adventure , then the Himalayan (which was preceded by the AS 200 in the same category as Bajaj would like to claim), and now this.

Though the first mover in this space was Hero with their Impulse. They had a capable product on their hands which did not take off maybe because the market wasn't ready for it. Of course it also had a wheezy carburetted engine - definitely not the smartest choice when heading into the rarefied air of Ladakh (a folly that RE replicated with their Himalayan). Now only if they could plonk a more gutsy engine along with Fi, tubeless tyres and ABS, then Impulse would make a strong case for itself.

Hero - are you listening?

Things are definitely looking up for those who crave for an affordable, go anywhere bike.

Cheers

Last edited by Ironhide : 3rd October 2016 at 23:14. Reason: Syntax!
Ironhide is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks