Team-BHP - Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/181224-mahindra-bringing-jawa-back-edit-launched-rs-1-55-lakh-10.html)

Jawa teases 4 new motorcycles

Classic Legends - a Mahindra subsidiary is gearing up to unveil new motorcycles under the Jawa brand on November 15, 2018. The company has released a new teaser video that shows sketches of the upcoming models.

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-jawa1.jpg

The first bike looks similar to the test mule that was spotted recently. It has a round headlamp, a teardrop shaped fuel tank and a flat seat. It has telescopic front suspension and conventional shock absorbers at the rear. The bike features a front disc brake and a long cylindrical exhaust.

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-jawa2.jpg

The second sketch appears to be a variation of the first model. It has a stepped seat and a shorter exhaust. It also has rear shock absorbers with gas canisters.

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-jawa3.jpg

The third bike appears to be kitted out for off-road use. It looks similar to the Royal Enfield Himalayan and has raised suspension, disc brakes at both ends and an under-seat exhaust. The bike has raised handlebars and a windshield.

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-jawa4.jpg

The fourth model seems to be a single-seat cruiser. It has a circular headlamp with flat handlebars and a cantilever seat. The sketch also shows telescopic front suspension, front and rear disc brakes and an underbody exhaust.

https://twitter.com/jawamotorcycles/...45730993270784

Link to Team-BHP News

Quote:

Originally Posted by benu9714 (Post 4488709)
- Can run with one punctured tire - just put the punctured tire in front

+ only bike on which you could carry a stepney as a crashguard!

My dad used to be a avid motorcyclist in his heydays. He owned a Yezdi 31 years ago. I have a few photos of him with his biker gang going to Mahabaleshwar, Nashik etc from Pune.

There was a Jawa owner's group which had organized a 'treasure hunt' in city where bikers had to ride on the bike to find treasures and he and his friends participated in it where my dad, in an attempt to do some heroics dropped the bike and got himself injured. Mom was waiting for his arrival at home with a belan (rolling pin) :D ,there were no phones then but she had an inkling that something had happened as it was pretty late in the evening and he had not returned home. This was before I was born.

My dad sold off his Yezdi to a milkman just a few months after I was born. He had some surgery done and doctor had asked him not to lift anything heavy, plus my mom had some disagreements with the bike (for obvious reasons).

I informed him that Jawa will be 'relaunched', and just realized that if I get one in our home, life will come full circle for him as I just became a dad few months back :)

New wine in a old jar, literally.

Pic courtesy - Powerdrift Insta

I hope to God that i am wrong but is that a drum brake at the back ? Forget ABS not even a disc ? Even RE is updating its line up with ABS. Seems like a deal breaker to me unless i am missing something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Ameya (Post 4490432)
I hope to God that i am wrong but is that a drum brake at the back ? Forget ABS not even a disc ? Even RE is updating its line up with ABS. Seems like a deal breaker to me unless i am missing something.

There is ABS ring on the front disc so not everything is bad. But a single channel ABS (looks like) with drum at the rear sure is a weird setup.
I'm pretty sure it's there not because of cost cutting but just for the nostalgia sake maybe? Braking better be good and not like the Jawas of yore!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharian (Post 4490389)
New wine in a old jar, literally.

And the old jar sure has been polarizing opinions on all biking groups. Some love it, some hate it. The design isn't as up-to-date with the modern times as the Bullet range (Mostly because everyone is so used to it!) and that must be the curse or boon for Mahindra.

Now it all depends on whether they can get that sound track right! If it looks and sounds like a Jawa - those who want something different from the Enfields will surely try this one.

And no - This cannot match the Interceptor 650, at all! Good Mahindra didn't try to aim that high.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4490439)
Now it all depends on whether they can get that sound track right! If it looks and sounds like a Jawa - those who want something different from the Enfields will surely try this one.

Is this how it sounds (last second of the video)?
https://twitter.com/anandmahindra/st...01741218697217

I agree looks are subjective, but personally I am not very impressed with the overall design. In fact fit & finish from the pictures look a little rough but thats for an altogether different discussion that we will know only once the bike is launched and ridden.

I think Mahindra has stuck to too much nostalgia and just re-created the same old Jawa with disc brakes in the front & probably a few modern day items on it. There may be a small percentage of die-hard Jawa/Yezdi fans that may love it, (and within that sub-section there will still be those grandfathers who will say- "Nothing like the original Jawas from the 60s....." like how, many older vintage RE/Triumph riders still dont consider the new bikes anything close to the old ones even if reliability & other safety features may have seen a vast improvement on the newer models). If Mahindra wants a bigger slice of the Retro market, IMPO it should have tweaked the design a little more on modern lines. For example RE has indeed done a really nice job on designing their 650 twins. Of course the original British designs of 50s & 60s were more refined looking than the then eastern block countries so probably RE worked from there forward.

Take for example Indian, in spite of keeping with their heritage on their top end bikes now, they are also slowly trimming down their once gigantic valanced front fenders. Similarly the vintage Bonnevilles had the headlight nacelle with the speedo cluster, but the modern Bonnies have been designed without that and yet managed to keep the classic looks. Even the modern retro Honda CB1100 while keeping the fuel tank to its original design tweaked with most of the other body panels, frame etc. with a finished product thats beautiful, functional and fun to ride still maintaining some of the basic looks of the original bikes. Ditto with the Bonneville.

Dear Jawa- You are not the Bar & Shield brand that can continue to sell old designs at premium prices....although they have also now made radical changes to their Softail line etc. :)

The Engine & crankcase unit is the only part that looks beautifully crafted to me. The radiator looks like somebody just decided to pick one from the market and hang it there! The rear shocks could have also been more tastefully selected. The frame is from another era esp that passenger foot-rest frame just looks like a shabby after thought. Even the battery cover should have integrated with the flow lines of the bike. And yeah it definitely needed a disc at the rear with proper ABS.

I am hoping Mahindra takes customer/market inputs when releasing further Jawa variants that also pack some punch into the bike and wishing does well in its second innings in India.

Mahindra may be skipping the rear disc to create the nostalgic effect in the Classic series, however I do think they may introduce the disc brake atleast in the Adventure avatar to rival the Himalayan. Fingers crossed.

It looks quite disappointing, the desirability factor is definitely not there in this design.

Was expecting a modern take on the classic Jawa, not a complete replica.

The motorcycle looks like what my Yezdi mechanic would create if you gave him infinite resources, told him to let his imagination run wild and craft the perfect motorcycle according to him.

While i can admire the looks of the motorcycle, I can't get past that rear drum brake and awful rear fender. It looks like a "jugaad" people did back in the day, the stock fender used to hug the rear tyre almost halfway. However, if you or especially your pillion was on the heavier side, this fender would brush against the wheel and cause all sorts of unpleasantness. To remedy this, enterprising individuals quickly began cutting off a section of the fender, and welding the pieces back together effectively shortening it, and in the process lifting the fender in almost the exact same position as the one in the picture posted earlier. IMO, this did not look good back then, doesn't look any better today.

We need to understand, REs from the start were 4 strokes. Even with the UCE they have managed to deliver the near close signature "Thump", which is one of the reasons for the success. The Jawa was a 2 stroker with an awesome heavy exhaust note. A bit curious as to how the new Jawa would sound.

We have had two Jawas (one Czech made) and have always drooled over the bike's swooping design and I see similar lines on the new bike also, which to me is a good effort. A Jawa without those swooping lines just doesn't make a cut.

Honestly, I feel the camera angle is skewed (notice how the rear looks 'stepped aside') and somehow makes the bike look shorter that it could be in real.

Would reserve my comments till the bike is properly revealed in the coming days.

Looks can indeed be subjective. I am an old-school guy with a taste for retro classic motorcycles and so far have liked Mahindra Two Wheelers' efforts in recreating and reintroducing brand Jawa in India.

The leaked pics to my eyes looks uber cool and retro. I like the way the new engine is plonked into that frame and chassis. Also Mahindra Two Wheelers going the distance to retain the old engine casing design and overall look is commendable. A single channel ABS will do for now, something is better than nothing.

I own RE's from different era's and the base design(especially Bullet 350) has undergone little minor changes while the overall look has been more or less the same. Mahindra has followed a similar approach as RE(to stick to the original design), wherein they are reintroducing brand Jawa in India to take a slice from RE's pie of retro classic motorcycle market.

Like others I too am looking forward if Mahindra Two Wheelers have tried to replicate the sound of the original Jawa.:)