Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2018, 18:07   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Some more pics of the upcoming Jawa (India)

Source - Motor World India

Did anyone notice? There seem to be 2 versions of the Jawa! Look closely one has the disc on the left and the other bike on the right side? They also seem to have different suspension setups.
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-jawa.jpg
Captain Slow is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 18:14   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Did anyone notice? There seem to be 2 versions of the Jawa! Look closely one has the disc on the left and the other bike on the right side? They also seem to have different suspension setups.
Attachment 1816640
Ummm, 4 actually. TusharK's post #136 will give you the details. Looks like the ADV/Street version being tested.

Last edited by Porschefire : 8th November 2018 at 18:25.
Porschefire is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 10:43   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Dear Jawa- You are not the Bar & Shield brand that can continue to sell old designs at premium prices....although they have also now made radical changes to their Softail line etc.

The Engine & crankcase unit is the only part that looks beautifully crafted to me. The radiator looks like somebody just decided to pick one from the market and hang it there! The rear shocks could have also been more tastefully selected. The frame is from another era esp that passenger foot-rest frame just looks like a shabby after thought. Even the battery cover should have integrated with the flow lines of the bike. And yeah it definitely needed a disc at the rear with proper ABS.

I am hoping Mahindra takes customer/market inputs when releasing further Jawa variants that also pack some punch into the bike and wishing does well in its second innings in India.
Half-cooked, half-hearted effort as is their norm. And I say this with a lot of love for Mahindra, recognising their strengths and ability to do magic.They could have done so much more with the Thar but they choose to keep it a runny, half-cooked egg. This is what happens when there are not too many auto lovers in the top echelons!

Sadly this wonderful opportunity with the Jawas also seems headed the Thar way. You'd expect with the addition of Pininfarina and exposure to severe competition in the UV space there would be a change in outlook . . .
Ferruccio is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 11:11   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Attachment 1816640
Also interesting is the silencer. The earlier picture of the engines showed two pipes from the cylinder head, but this one seems to be a one into two?
Caramba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 11:11   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
So how close is it?

New -

In this image, one can see that the exhaust chamber has been nicely concealed that looked quite an eye sore in earlier pics.

Overall the new one does justice to the old one but just doesn't seem very desirable atleast in pics or maybe its this dull maroon colour - actually black will be even more terribly boring to look at.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 14:28   #171
BHPian

Now that is one worthy competitor to the RE's given that Mahindra do ensure their ASS is on top(literally and figuratevily). Sufficient spares and good knowledgeable technicians along with the modern bits on a retro bike may do the trick and break the monotony of the RE's.
Old 9th November 2018, 17:32   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramba View Post
Also interesting is the silencer. The earlier picture of the engines showed two pipes from the cylinder head, but this one seems to be a one into two?
I think two pipes originate from the cylinder head and go to the catalytic converter underneath the engine. Maybe they'd use a dummy steel over to hide the gap and make it look like vintage exhaust pipes.
Something like those on Triumph Street twin.

Image reference here:
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-inked1_li.jpg
puneeth2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 19:48   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
Half-cooked, half-hearted effort as is their norm. And I say this with a lot of love for Mahindra, recognising their strengths and ability to do magic.They could have done so much more with the Thar but they choose to keep it a runny, half-cooked egg. This is what happens when there are not too many auto lovers in the top echelons!

Sadly this wonderful opportunity with the Jawas also seems headed the Thar way. You'd expect with the addition of Pininfarina and exposure to severe competition in the UV space there would be a change in outlook . . .
I think there are people who like to buy beautiful, classic, original looking , yet somewhat difficult vehicles.

Thar to Jeepers is a beautiful thing (once you get rid of a lot of unwanted bits). We have the same theme being played out in the Two wheeler segment with RE lovers, the classic outsells the non-classic looking models.
The favorite model in Triumph line up is Bonneville series & Street Twin, and they are what people think of when they hear Triumph.

Imagine if Yamaha releases an RD350 lookalike with a modern engine and serviceability anywhere. Yamaha to many is RX100 & RD350 (Oh, I do remember the hideous Libero)

So there we have it, half cooked, over priced & yet sells two or three times as much as its nearest competitors. I am so happy they did not spend anything on Thar, considering its relatively small volumes, it would have gone far beyond its current price.

I`m not saying Jawa enjoys the same fanfare or if Mahindra can manage to sell and service it well, but it would be interesting to see a classic looking Jawa with modern drive train and serviceability.

OT : Half cooked eggs are delicious!
Kosfactor is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 07:27   #174
BHPian

Teaser video out along with the exhaust note.
Tapish is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 10:13   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post

Teaser video out along with the exhaust note.
Nice exhaust... After looking at the spy shots, I see that the only thing I don't like is the chrome tank.

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th November 2018 at 14:34. Reason: Please avoid quoting youtube link for replies. Thanks.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 15:58   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Nice exhaust... After looking at the spy shots, I see that the only thing I don't like is the chrome tank.
But that IS the Jawa signature.. look at all their classics

i personally love it
sandeip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 17:43   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeip View Post
But that IS the Jawa signature.. look at all their classics

i personally love it
Yup. Agreed. Good to know that people like this. I hope I will get to like it after seeing it more.

However, if you see the earlier versions of RE classic, it was a more modern version of the older REs, which also were popular for chrome tanks. But RE left that out. Recreating the older design and yet in a modern avatar is HARD. I won't comment more until I see better pictures...
Old 12th November 2018, 15:50   #178
BHPian

Pics look good. 'Sound ' sounds good. My guess is it'll be a lot lighter than the cumbersome RE classics. If it is it will be a nice addition to the market , a stylish , lightweight city runabout with some weekend rides thrown in.

Only question is how reliable is that mojo jojo engine?
Old 15th November 2018, 11:10   #179
Senior - BHPian

Saw these pictures in FB MotoHive

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-46112744_2034885430135792_5184860815806693376_o.jpg

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-46142145_2034885410135794_8146172656807313408_o.jpg

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-46148741_2034885380135797_4559145309833265152_o.jpg

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-46187146_2034885456802456_6801332200731049984_o.jpg
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 11:10   #180
Senior - BHPian

The launch event is starting now, yet no activity on this thread since days. Looks like the Enfield twins have taken all the attention away from the Jawa launch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks