Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2018, 10:06   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh

Oh. My. God. They have done an amazing job keeping the retro looks. The Jawa used to be my dream bike. I am super excited about this bike!
Hope they launch a Yezdi version too, and a Roadking!
rajushank84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 10:22   #242
BHPian

Yesterday, the Jawa website had a link to the page to list down the dealers in the country, however was not working and displaying some technical error (This page didn't load Google Maps correctly. See the JavaScript console for technical details.). And today, they have removed the link from their website, however I tried accessing the page using the direct link which still displays the same error.

Anyone has information on the dealers in Chennai where the test rides can be undertaken?
Old 16th November 2018, 10:23   #243
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Anyone has information on the dealers in Chennai where the test rides can be undertaken?
You'll have to wait till the 5th of December. Jawa will get exclusive outlets and the initial dealer list will be revealed on this date.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th November 2018 at 10:25.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 10:28   #244
BHPian

What I'd love to see here is a comparison between this and the old Jawas (or even Yezdi 250s) in terms of power, ergonomics (seat height, width, handle-bar height, seating position for the rider, foot-peg-to-seat height and angle etc.); the sound of the engine/exhausts (comparison I mean) etc.

Do the have the iconic sound of the older Jawas/Yezdis?

And most, most importantly, I know they removed the kick-start feature from the gear-lever, but does it still have the clutch-in-the-foot like the old Jawas and Yezdis or have they removed that functionality too?

Cheers
Old 16th November 2018, 10:29   #245
BHPian

Given that my dad has a Yezdi on which I learnt riding a bike, this bring back a lot of memories. That's an excellent work done by the Mahindra Team. Kudos to them. From the pics am unable to see if the kick lever still doubles up as the gear shifter too as in the original Jawa. Any one has any information around this?

I would love to see if they have been able to recreate the exhaust note as well. The Jawa had a very distinct exhaust note when compared to the Yezdi as well. If they have, then its absolutely brilliant. One more functionality (if I may call it that) which has been lost with the disc brakes is the interchangeability of front and rear wheels. The Jawa/Yezdi gave the flexibility to swap the wheel as they were of the same size which was extremely helpful in case of a flat tire in the rear (just put the punctured on in front and you could still drive to the nearest repair shop) but the advent of disc brakes, that would not longer be possible.

EDIT - sold my Yezdi classic (86 model) for a mere 5 k around 4 years back. Now I feel I should have retained it instead.

Last edited by centaur : 16th November 2018 at 10:57.
centaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 10:31   #246
BHPian

JAWA brings a lump to my throat. Dad had this in the early 80's and would dismantle it all, to self service. Sold to buy a colored TV. LOL.

The unique kick+shifter combined leaver is missing. I wish they had retained that, even if button start is the way to go. That was so unique to JAWAs. Though, overall a good re-imagination of the original, and hopefully should sell well. Mahindra pulled it off.
asingh1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 10:43   #247
Senior - BHPian

I am trying to refrain myself from visiting this and 650 thread. The more I see, the more I get tempted to book either of these. I refrain only when I realize that I will hardly get time to ride one and most likely will be gathering dust in my parking. With the younger crowd, RE has an advantage as many of the first time buying teenagers would not have heard Jawa/Yezdi unless it is glorified by their parents.
PrideRed is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 10:50   #248

Why is no one talking about the bobber. Am I the only one who thinks the Perak is looking more interesting that the other two bikes?
If I am not wrong isn't the Perak most affordable bobber sold in India?
Man that bike is drool worthy for me.
madroxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 10:54   #249
Senior - BHPian

A quick comparison between Jawa Motorcycles vs Royal Enfield Classic 350 by Rushlane.

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-jawavsroyalenfield.jpg

Verdict – Which one should you buy? John Abraham famously told Anand Mahindra, when the latter was still contemplating of buying Jawa – If Royal Enfield is in your skin, Jawa is in your blood. One thing is clear, people who want a truly retro experience would love to go with Jawa.

However, the motorcycle’s bulky profile may not appeal to everyone. On the other hand, Royal Enfield Classic 350 integrates the best of both worlds and features a stunning design. Jawa delivers more power than Royal Enfield Classic 350, but it may not make any major difference to actual on-road experience. Since most other features are largely similar for both motorcycles, the choice will depend on what you value most – Jawa’s pure retro experience or a retro-modern fusion that comes with Royal Enfield Classic 350.

Source:

http://https://www.rushlane.com/jawa...-12287461.html
SnS_12 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 10:57   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Another pt - is this is global launch ? I am sure there would be quite a lot of interested buyers in Europe for the Jawa.
Mahindra have license to manufacture these bikes under JAWA brand only in India. Anurag at the launch event yesterday was categorical in explaining absence of any export plans for these bikes. So we can safely assume these are India specific bikes in the foreseeable future. Never imagined such a day would come for Indian bikes though :thumbup:
ar134 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 11:01   #251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by madroxx View Post
If I am not wrong isn't the Perak most affordable bobber sold in India?
Man that bike is drool worthy for me.
Drool, yes.

Buy? No.

Bobber is not at all a practical format for our road conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar134 View Post
Mahindra have license to manufacture these bikes under JAWA brand only in India.
Any mention about Yezdi?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 11:06   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post

Verdict – Which one should you buy?
The Jawa does bring in a feel of novelty that the RE Classic can't boast anymore. But I recall the Jawa/Yezi having quite awkward ergnomics. The foot pegs were high set with low seat height making your hips sit lower than your knees if I recall right. Thats not a very comfortable position for cruising or even for city runs.

Need to recheck the launch video to see that part where those 3 bikes are driven in ( may not give the full picture but atleast some hints )
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 11:08   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Bobber is not at all a practical format for our road conditions.

Any mention about Yezdi?
I would have loved to buy the bobber provided it had 2 seats ! Not sure with 2 seats whether it would still be called a bobber though.

Yezdi unlikely as it was mentioned the road ahead for JAWA is higher displacement bikes.

I have booked Forty two Hally's Teal and the Color shown on the website is too different from the on road pics.
ar134 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 11:31   #254
Senior - BHPian

The Jawa produces a little over 7 BHP more than the RE 350 and is also lighter by 22 kgs.

Now, if the Jawa rides and handles better, with better quality parts. I don't see any reason why this won't sell in good numbers? I personally feel this looks much better than the RE
SnS_12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 11:36   #255
BHPian

These bikes look really cool. They will certainly pull a bike enthusiast to take a look. Feel, if JAWA can publicise a low maintenance ownership(similar to FORD cars), backed by a good warranty & dealership reach, these will pull many customers who sit on the fence along with those die hard loyalists who most probably are already be sold.

Hope JAWA can set & maintain the level of overall quality & ease of maintenance that people find difficult to associate with an RE. That could be the difference for them in the direct competition.
Adi22 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks