Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2018, 11:52   #421
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Anyone who's done the detailed review of the RE twins or the latest version(s) of the RE singles (lol), do the components quality look worthy enough?
There are detailed reviews doing rounds in all biking whatsapp groups regarding the quality being equivalent to RE in terms of the bad stuff too. But since the source can't be verified - not posting it here.

Personally, those stickers were a real turnoff for me in the Cartoq video. Looks like a naughty kid can easily pluck it out. Will be taking a good look at the quality if the showroom opens as promised this Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevivek View Post
All the reviews mention that there is an embargo on their commenting on the bike. I am a newbie to such launches so Is this normal?
Usual. There are so many media publications and youtube channels these days - companies can't afford to give them all a chance at the same time. So they are given slots and an embargo is put in place so the later slot guys don't feel left out.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 11:57   #422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Will be taking a good look at the quality if the showroom opens as promised this Saturday.
Same here. Ironically, the aspect of the Jawa showrooms being close to the RE showrooms is going to be a positive here - I'm going to go back and forth between both showrooms.

Of course, assuming the Jawa showroom magically appears over the next 48 odd hours
Old 13th December 2018, 12:02   #423
BHPian

It took so many cranks to get that thing started! I'm curiously waiting for the entire review of the bike.
kesh4munni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 12:04   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
A few observations / questions
- The speedometer stays at 20 when ignition is on; so is the ABS blinking light
- The speedometer goes to ~40 with the ABS still blinking when he's revving the bike

I might be finding faults un-necessarily; but without showrooms on ground with literally days from the public launch date, no available reviews of the bike's performance, I'm getting really bad vibes. Instead we are ooohing and aahing on the looks and the sound of the exhaust note
I have a similar opinion too. I agree that the bike looks great and even I was and still am very fond of the way the bike looks. In fact, the looks of the 42 has grown on me more than the interceptor did. But to be honest, I feel that the bike is being promoted primarily on the basis of looks, the nostalgia of yesteryear Jawa models and the heritage of the brand.

To me, there are quite a few not-so-good points on the bike, especially when it costs more than 1.5L.
1. The video at 2:25 mins shows the speedometer stuck at 20 kmph and at 13:46 mins shows it to be stuck at 60 kmph during idling and at neutral. Strange. My guess.. the speedometer needle got stuck during hard braking. Not so good for a premium motorcycle.
2. The stripes on the mudguard of the 42 looks like a sticker job and not painted. I am not sure how long it would stay in position without peeling off since there might not be any clear coat (since the color options also have matte finish) to hold it in place.
3. No rear disk brakes
4. MRF nylogrip zappers may fare better in terms of longevity of tyre life but I have my own doubts on the grip since I had the zappers on my GS for the past 5 years and recently changed them to ceat.
5. The cables running on the front near the headlight could have been concealed better, but I am just nitpicking on this one.
samcan123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 12:18   #425
BHPian

Not a bike-guy. Had a question: are sticker jobs common for bikes, like we are seeing in the Jawa. It looks kind of old-school in today's world and age. Or is it, for easy paint job repairs. Not sure why.
Old 13th December 2018, 12:40   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like the exhaust note can be altered easily. DB killers, as in the Mojo?

Seeing how much they have tried to replicate the original two stroke Jawa, I guess it will have DB killers just like how the old Jawa had a 'flute' in their exhaust which could be removed for a louder note.
Old 13th December 2018, 13:37   #427
BHPian

Jawa is a great disappointment. Had expected a better exhaust note atleast 50% to the old Jawa bikes. Sounds more like hero honda. And the modified exhaust note sounds more like KTM.

Also paying 1.55L(Ex-Showroom) for the forty two and getting the speedometer needle stuck, can't imagine that. No RPM meter and rear discs. Atleast the Jawa 42 should have been a new age bike. And most importantly stickers stuck on the front mud guard. Doesn't justify the price.

One of the doctor in my apartment had an old Jawa(which he sold for 65k). And whenever he started it i could feel the vibrations in my 2nd floor.
The Flash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 00:06   #428
Team-BHP Support

Speedo indicated top speed of 120 kmph -

0 to 100kmph in 13.2 seconds and speedo indicated top speed of 143 kmph -

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th December 2018 at 00:10.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 10:08   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Speedo indicated top speed of 120 kmph -

0 to 100kmph in 13.2 seconds and speedo indicated top speed of 143 kmph -
IMO, the speedo indicated speed is always to be taken with a pinch of salt.
My GS150R showed a speedo indicated top speed close to 120 and that's for a 150cc engine. I think the actual would have been between 105-110 considering the margin of error.
So, for a single cylinder 300cc not-so-short stroke engine, I don't know if it can actually hit the top speed of 143. Given that Jawa's speedo looks very erratic at least as per an earlier video, I have my reservations on the actual top speed.
Old 14th December 2018, 10:24   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesh4munni View Post
It took so many cranks to get that thing started! I'm curiously waiting for the entire review of the bike.
I used to have a Jawa in the old days that took 10 kicks at the minimum to start. Hope the new Jawa is not replicating delayed start for nostalgia sake!
Olympal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 10:31   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympal View Post
I used to have a Jawa in the old days that took 10 kicks at the minimum to start. Hope the new Jawa is not replicating delayed start for nostalgia sake!

Same was the case with our Rajdoot. Hence my dad used to keep it running if the break is less than 5 mins until the bike is "warmed-up".
Old 14th December 2018, 11:46   #432
Senior - BHPian

All rights to Motoroids!!

This adjustment of DB killer makes the Jawa sound much better!!
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 12:08   #433
Senior - BHPian

Overdrive review is published; quoting Shumi's verdict.

Quote:
Verdict

The Jawa is being considered the big threat to Royal Enfield's bread and butter motorcycle, the Classic 350. Which I find incredible simply because the Classic 350 is about Rs 30-40,000 cheaper than the Jawa and I don't believe RE customers will gravitate to a *more* expensive bike that easily.

But to me, comparing the Jawa to the Royal Enfield isn't the right thing to do right now. Because the Jawa has a unique, likeable feel. It feels genuinely old in some way and genuinely slick in others. I wish now that Classic Legends had brought us full-on production models so that we could see the final finish and feel of the product instead of this initial taste, though.

That said, I loved the suspension, liked the brakes, enjoyed the engine (at less than my usual pace, it must be said) and didn't mind the whimsically, decidedly, old-school design (I'm not a retro-bike chap either). The Jawa has the promise of being a genuinely nice motorcycle to waft about town on and go for club rides on the weekend. And this is a good start for Classic Legends in India, I think. The Jawa is priced at Rs 1.66 lakh ex-showroom Delhi and the bookings are now open. We expect deliveries to start end-January or February 2019. That's your wait - ours is the wait for the road test bike, heh heh.

And Here is link for Autocar review.

Last edited by sukiwa : 14th December 2018 at 12:12. Reason: added autocar review link
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 12:21   #434
Team-BHP Support

Overdrive review -

Powerdrift -

Autocar -

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th December 2018 at 12:27.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 13:39   #435
BANNED

Quote:
Powerdrift
A correction, you don't need to open up a drum-brake to estimate liner wear as there is a wear indicator pointer on the outside which makes estimating friction material life a breeze compared to doing the same on a hydraulic setup by peeking in between the pads and rotor at an awkward angle with a flashlight in hand.

Here's the indicator on the Jawa from their own video;

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-jawa-brake.jpg

And here's a better snap of the same from my CT100B,

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-img_20181214_133319.jpg

Yeah, the motorcycle is dirty and the liner is on its way out, as easily understood from glancing at the wear indicator.
ashwinprakas is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks