Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2018, 13:18   #496
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh

Jawa FB page claims they are sold out till Sep 2019! They will take booking till 25th Dec midnight.
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-j1.jpg
PrideRed is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 24th December 2018, 14:57   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Jawa FB page claims they are sold out till Sep 2019! They will take booking till 25th Dec midnight.
Attachment 1830380
Coming from the man himself.

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 4861
Size:  90.3 KB
Engine_Roars is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th December 2018, 00:33   #498
Distinguished - BHPian

Only Mahindra could have taken a bad situation and made it worse for themselves. How they have complicated things by saying their bikes are sold out till September 2019! Why would one even bother to visit the showroom after the 25th of December 2018 if its going to take 9+ months to get a motorcycle delivered?

Sigh! I wonder how many movies the sales people in the Jawa showrooms can watch on their mobile phones in the 1st six months of 2019. Its unlikely they are going to get any walk ins, even from people uninterested in the Royal Enfields, if they garner the reputation of being the company with a 9 month waiting period. While I have great respect for Anand Mahindra, I cannot help but state that the decision making gentlemen in the Mahindra two wheeler section seem to have taken a nap in the 1980s and have woken up in 2018. Unfortunately the biggest impediment to the sales success of the Jawa brand seems to be Mahindra itself.

On a lighter note, with the news of a 9 month waiting period, Sid Lal couldnt have asked for a nicer Christmas present from Anand Mahindra!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
But no visibility on the road => perception that the bike is a flop => usually self fulfilling.
I couldnt have put it better myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Well, to cut things short RE 350 can breathe easy. JAWA has a long way to go as the best thing about the bike is the horn, the best on any Indian bike ever, and nothing else clicked for me!
Their strategy to piggy back on the Royal Enfield showroom locations will likely backfire on them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Honestly I feel the same, it seems to be a total chaotic show. Possibly they might be using Agile Methodology and after every sprint of 15 days there is a change in the game plan.
Im waiting for January 2019 so that Mahindra can announce the results of the next sprint and provide launch details of base bike + 1st round improvements (dual ABS) + new features (TFT screen). This will be delivered between September to November 2019. Then the next sprint result will be launched which is with newer features of tubeless tires and red and white colour scheme since it will only be delivered in December 2019

Quote:
Nobody can hold them responsible if there are major changes done both to the engine or chassis or any other specifications. It just seems like smokes n mirrors at this point in time.
A half baked smoke and mirrors nostalgia inspired exercise from Mahindra.

Quote:
Am yet to visit the showroom even to see the pre-production display simply cause it is waste of time. What suppose if they make a complete change in plans and design?
Saar, anyways it is sold out till September 2019. Before that some bikes will trickle into the second hand market, why even bother to visit the showrooms now!
neil.jericho is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 16:04   #499
BHPian

There is no information on the total number of bookings made. I somehow think this is yet another marketing gimmick to showcase that the bike is a huge success in terms of the booking numbers. I won't be surprised if they open the bookings again claiming they have increased production capacity thereby advancing the deliveries (I might be thinking a bit too much).

Now, what happens to the showroom owners who invested huge money believing in the brand Mahindra. Yes, the bookings are open at the showroom but very few (<10% IMHO) potential buyers will be ready to make the booking knowing they can expect then bike only after a year.
haneeshN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 14:23   #500
BHPian

Here's my take on the whole Jawa marketing strategy by Anand Mahindra:

They would have developed both drum & disc variants right from design phase. People who have tried converting a rear drum to disc will know the complexity involved in this. Unless it is readily integrated into the design architecture of the vehicle; it is simply not possible to do something like this.

The launch phase would speak about the "pricing that undercut royal enfield 350s".

Then they would give review bikes to media with planned intentional flaws and the reviewers were bound to draw comparison to Signals 350's dual disc with dual channel ABS. This way, when customers receive the "perfected product"; they can showcase an impression of "proactively responding to customer feedback".

Then they would get "customer feedback" on the rear disc part - and announce the "marginal price increment" for the dual disc dual channel ABS variant. This way, they can avoid the "sticker-shock" and also gauge the market proportion for dual disc in terms of volumes.

Its not an easy task to fine tune the dual disc ABS tuning and then get the CMVR certification (a long lead activity). Hence, they would have already prepared everything on the motorcycle and validated the same to ensure they do not get brickbats from customers.

Also, when they mention the price increase in the precision of 4 digits (INR 8942 instead of "approx. 9k"); it shows that they have already settled the commercial terms and volume projections to the brake system supplier.

And finally Anand Mahindra speaking about "Sold Out until Sep 2019" and then pulling a bunny out of the hat next month by showcasing some more media hype and saying "Waiting periods slashed by 6/7 months"..!!

They will need all this hype and much more to bring the general RE customer towards "Jawa"..!!

The above is my speculation based on the way there is consistent news feed in mainstream media and Mahindra seems to be ensuring no stone is left unturned to sustain this frenzy.
Surya-TJet is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 15:05   #501
BHPian

I think you are all overthinking this. The simplest explanation is that Mahindra did not anticipate this kind of demand. Do note they have been largely unsuccessful in the 2 wheeler market even a decade after entering it.

Design of the bike must have started 2-3 years back with a price/sales/production targets in mind.
With the huge demand, they cannot expand production at the required pace. But on the plus side, it allows them to offer better equipment with assurance that the market can bear the increased cost.

Mahindra did make a mistake in hurrying the launch. Better would have been to launch once atleast the dealerships were ready.
timuseravan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 15:10   #502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haneeshN View Post
There is no information on the total number of bookings made. I somehow think this is yet another marketing gimmick to showcase that the bike is a huge success in terms of the booking numbers.

Now, what happens to the showroom owners who invested huge money believing in the brand Mahindra. Yes, the bookings are open at the showroom but very few (<10% IMHO) potential buyers will be ready to make the booking knowing they can expect then bike only after a year.
Was this not the case with RE Classic 350 as well? IIRC, people would book despite knowing to have wait for 1-2 years!
Old 27th December 2018, 15:19   #503
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surya-TJet View Post
Here's my take on the whole Jawa marketing strategy by Anand Mahindra:
Now consider the fact that Mahindra acquired the license for these brands only in Oct 2016, post which all this was kickstarted.

And think once again on the timelines. Guaranteed you'll pull your hair out.

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th December 2018 at 09:41. Reason: Small typo
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 16:07   #504
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Now consider the fact that Mahindra acquired the license for these brands only in Oct 2016, post which all this was kickstarted.
And think once again on the timelines.
Correct, but I have a feeling that they have tried to hurry up the things too fast and they may have problems later. From my own experience in sales, it's easy to get an entry in the marketplace but if that's not backed up by the product/ service, it will fail and getting a re-entry in the same market will be very tough next time. So instead of this countrywide launch for something that has not even seen proper production runs, they should have launched the bike in some smaller regions and then gradually built from there.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2018, 18:41   #505
Senior - BHPian

I had taken a test ride and they have my details. Just received a message that 'somebody will get in touch with me if I'm interested' in buying a Jawa. So I'm not buying that they're sold out till Sep 2019! This product needs a lot of fine tuning before it clicks. RE took decades.
Old 29th December 2018, 19:37   #506
R.G
BHPian

Dealer selection option for your jawa booking is available in jawamotorcycles website now.

For me , it shows a list with one dealer in my district , one in the neighbouring district , two in the next state (T.N) . Next state dealers are probably because Trivandrum is a border district and the list is based on the PINCODE given during registration.
Old 30th December 2018, 17:30   #507
BHPian

I took multiple test rides of both, Jawa and 42 over the weekend with my wife as pillion. Here are some of my notes.

Engine: The engine took me by surprise as the moment I left the clutch, it pulls very well in a very linear fashion. Didn't test the top end due to the amount of traffic and since the bike was very new - only 190 kms done. Didn't feel any noticeable vibes anywhere in the rev range, happy since my Apache loves to vibrate and make my hands and feet all tingly at 50-80 kmph. Idles smoothly too, and throttle response is very good. The engine felt very much like Mojo's (& Interceptor to an extent - though with lesser kick), almost* trainlike - very linear and non peaky - duke lovers might not like it. The mirrors did go out of focus in the mid range very briefly, couldn't tell the rpm due to lack of tachometer, the vibes were under control in the handle and footpegs at that rpm.

Heating: Despite gunning the engine, and revving it quite a bit in traffic (I was at the showroom for about an hour and it was continuously been test ridden without any gap of more than a minutes), I didn't notice any heating - at max CBR 250 levels. Some folks were touching the cylinder head to check temperatures. No heat felt from the exhaust too, unlike the Interceptor I rode last week.
Fueling: The fueling was spot on but I did notice a very slight hesitation once at low rpms in traffic. The bike doesn't start with the throttle in open condition being a fuel injected engine. Many people having the habit of carb engines kept trying to start with throttle in open position, and engine wouldn't start.

Seat/rider triangle: The seat is quite low and wide and handle is raised a bit, and rider triangle is perfect for city conditions. The Jawa's handle is raised more and lesser wider than 42's. The riding position for Jawa is commanding and coming from a relatively sporty riding position of the Apache, it took a bit getting used to. The footpeg kept fouling similar to when I rode the Interceptor. However, since the bike is low, I was able to keep the feet ahead of the pegs. The bike is quite narrow and very easily to flick/ filter through traffic.

Pillion comfort: For me pillion comfort is amongst the top few priorities since my wife likes to travel with me. She was very happy with the flat seat and its quite spacious for both of us. Mind you, I am bit on the heavier side. A pillion back rest as an accessory would be golden since she kept getting pushed back firmly whenever I accelerated, bit intimidating for the pillion.

Gearbox/Clutch: The Clutch is very light and smooth but could do with a more feel/feedback since I was unable to gauge when it engages, first time I kept stalling the bike but got used to when I rode it second time with wife as pillion. One issue I kept facing was the gear shifter was quite high and I had to lift my foot to downshift, something which could be adjusted. Also, the first gear would not engage at first go, probably the clutch needs adjustment, other gears were quite slick shifting. The gearing is a bit taller than 150/180 cc bikes, so I kept lugging the engine mistakenly. Once I understood the gearing it was easy to keep the engine in correct rpms.

Brakes: Brakes are quite good in terms of feel and feedback esp the front brake. Since I didn't go beyond 90, can't tell about the high speed shedding ability. I tried using only the rear drum too, and was quite average. I usually use 70-30 or 60-40 front:rear bias, so no issues noticed.

Ride/handling: Ride is quite cushy without being wallowy, handling is neutral. U turns are not as easy as Duke/RTR/Pulsar but bike is easily flickable in city traffic.

Exhaust note: Just loved the exhaust note, the videos dont give the complete picture. Its quite meaty, refined, bassy at low revs and changes to a nice note at higher ones. People at the showroom just kept revving it to hear the exhaust.

Interesting tidbits:

- There is no side stand light but the Odo* display reads "side stnd dwn".
- ABS light starts blinking below 5 or 10 kmph
- Instead of temp gauge, there is an overheating light that lights up similar to today's cars

Things I miss in the bike: Trip meter, Tachometer, Main stand

Finally decided to book Jawa Grey

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th December 2018 at 20:04. Reason: Adding spaces for better readability.
Grease_Monkey is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 30th December 2018, 19:42   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease_Monkey View Post
Interesting tidbits: - There is no side stand light but the Odo* display reads "side stnd dwn".
- ABS light starts blinking below 5 or 10 kmph
- Instead of temp gauge, there is an overheating light that lights up similar to today's cars
Things I miss in the bike: Trip meter, Tachometer, Main stand
Finally decided to book Jawa Grey
Probably the most comprehensive review by a BHPian mentioning details which no reviewer has mentioned so far :thumbup:. Main stand as well as pillion seat rest shall be made available as an accessory . I am particularly happy about the 'side stand down' indicator on odo . In Bengaluru , only micro test rides are made available as of now and hence I have chosen my dealer for my Jawa 42 booking and waiting for an opportunity to do a detailed test drive.

Last edited by ar134 : 30th December 2018 at 19:57.
ar134 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2018, 21:27   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar134 View Post
In Bengaluru , only micro test rides are made available as of now and hence I have chosen my dealer for my Jawa 42 booking and waiting for an opportunity to do a detailed test drive.
Thanks for the appreciation. Sadly, test rides in Bangalore are a joke. I earlier went to Hosur road showroom, and was 50 in waiting so just gave up to come back later. Also, the test ride was in peak crazy traffic so would not be able to understand how the bike behaved in open roads. I came over to Gurugram this weekend and was able to test for a pretty long stretch in highway and traffic, and also get the approval of parents. Dad was nostalgic as he had a Yezdi 250 in his 20s and 30s.
I hope once this frenzy reduces, the test rides become more meaningful.
Grease_Monkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2018, 17:29   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease_Monkey View Post
I took multiple test rides of both, Jawa and 42 over the weekend with my wife as pillion. Here are some of my notes.
Exhaust note: Just loved the exhaust note, the videos dont give the complete picture. Its quite meaty, refined, bassy at low revs and changes to a nice note at higher ones. People at the showroom just kept revving it to hear the exhaust.
Excellent review Grease_Monkey, gives a good insight from a riders point of view and someone who understands bikes.

Couple of questions:

i. Is the sound the same as the legacy ones, the distinct one that can be heard for a km.
ii. How is the kick start, smooth or needs some acrobatics.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks