Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2018, 18:53   #511
BHPian

Re: Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Design of the bike must have started 2-3 years back with a price/sales/production targets in mind.
Any idea where the Jawas are being made?
I heard from my neighbor that the current production capacity is around 10k bikes per year.
I feel this number is way to small, specially when their main rival sells 5 times this volume in a month!
Old 31st December 2018, 19:04   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Excellent review Grease_Monkey, gives a good insight from a riders point of view and someone who understands bikes.

Couple of questions:

i. Is the sound the same as the legacy ones, the distinct one that can be heard for a km.
ii. How is the kick start, smooth or needs some acrobatics.
Hi m_upreti,

1. Nope, this is a 4 stroke motorcycle. Original was 2 stroke. The sound though distinct, is not same as the legacy one. I suggest you do check out the new motorcycle sound in person if possible

2. No kick start, self start only option. Bike starts on first start, except when throttle is open
Grease_Monkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2019, 19:49   #513
BHPian

My wife and I test drove the Jawa at the Hosur showroom in Bangalore on Christmas Day, 2018. As others had mentioned, this showroom offered a very short ride of about 1 km. Traffic on that otherwise very busy road was just picking up late that morning, as it was a holiday. Some of the takeaways:-
  • -The showroom that had just opened a week back had a staff of 3-4 and they were not well organised. However, we managed to get our drives without much fuss.

• -They had two pre-production bikes - a maroon Jawa and a light coloured 42 in matt finish.

• -Both bikes had decent levels of fit and finish. The chrome, paintwork and pin-striping appeared to be of good quality. The switchgear was of decent quality. The wire harnesses were neatly arranged and routed. Harness ends to switches had shields and no bare cables were visible. The mirrors appeared to be good quality with sturdy polished chrome stalks. The foot-pegs appeared to be of decent quality. The LED tail-light looked good. The signal indicators and stalks appeared to be of passable quality. The speedo styling appeared to be underwhelming, as compared to some of the pics of the inaugural show bike's speedo. The 42 had its number plate LED lamp broken and dangling-possibly due to mishandling as the lamp did not appear to be flimsy.

• - Start was after depressing the clutch. The FI engine settled into a smooth idle. Sound of the exhaust was just discernible above the traffic noise that was of moderate density. A good exhaust mod could fix that! A showroom chappie insisted on riding pillion as a safeguard - can't really blame them for the precaution.

• -As stated in other reviews, the seat is fairly low set and comfortable.

• -I stalled the bike twice on the upslope take-off with the pillion - not the bike's fault as I am used to my wife's Harley Street 750's level of power. The new Jawa's motor required a mild initial increase in throttle to build its torque wave, unlike the old Jawa's two-stroke motor. Thereafter, this new motor felt torquey in its mid-range.

• -Feet controls were set for a sportier stance and were slightly rear set. The handlebar was comfortable and the bike felt very well balanced and nimble - felt rather close to the old Jawa -Yezdi, as far as I could remember from the hazy past of my youth in frontier IAF bases!

• -The gears were fairly smooth and clicked in place- I am presently used to the more agricultural set-up on the Harley. No false neutrals. The clutch lever had a easy reach and light pull force. The acceleration was smooth and progressive- no 'sting in the tail' pull with a pillion on-board, which is not surprising given that the motor is in the 300 cc class.

• -Revving the motor hard with quick upshifts did not appear to yield much in acceleration and instead appeared to increase the vibration levels. However, need to have a proper longer duration drive to pass judgement on that.

• -Brakes feel and effect was rather wooden in that short ride- I would put it down perhaps to the state of maintenance of the specific bike rather than the design, especially as media reviewers have commented favourably on the brakes.

• -Mirrors were vibration free even during high revs. With a bit of adjustment, I could 'clear my six 'o' clock' - a critical requirement for city traffic. The speedo console styled for retro looks was almost horizontal and therefore not easy to read. I could use and cancel the turn signals easily.

• -The Wifey's opinion was on similar lines - she avoided the initial stall after seeing me. Although of extreme slight build, she easily handled the bike with the terrified pillion chappie who initially though she was a novice and would crash. She commented on the slightly rear set foot controls and on its suitability for long rides. She also found the kick stand which was positioned under the foot peg a bit fiddly to use. She also commented that despite the numerous test drives, the bike's radiator fan was not on and there was no discernible heat from the single cylinder.

• -In all, a favourable first impression. Waiting for a longer test drive and for the Perak.

• Important suggestion : Mahindra need to ensure tubeless tyres with alloys are available, at least as an optional fit.

Last edited by Rigid Rotor : 1st January 2019 at 19:58.
Rigid Rotor is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 1st January 2019, 19:54   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease_Monkey View Post
Hi m_upreti,

1. Nope, this is a 4 stroke motorcycle. Original was 2 stroke. The sound though distinct, is not same as the legacy one. I suggest you do check out the new motorcycle sound in person if possible

2. No kick start, self start only option. Bike starts on first start, except when throttle is open
Thanks for the update, I thought they would retain the iconic sound like the RE & the Harleys. The sound was the charming feature.

Will look it up on my next trip back to India, but it sure is on the buy lise once I am back for good.
Old 1st January 2019, 20:40   #515
BHPian

Gurus, need help. I booked the bike from different city showroom by paying and got receipt. However, I need the bike to be delivered from Bangalore, and dont want to pay any additional charges for transportation. The dealer in Gurugram from where I booked says he will get it done but, I am not sure how or what needs to be done.
Should I cancel my booking, and book in Bangalore? Or anything else needs to be done?
Old 2nd January 2019, 07:02   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Should I cancel my booking, and book in Bangalore?
This option is not just the simplest but also the most straightforward one. In the meantime, you can contact Jawa and request for a booking transfer which in my opinion would not be obliged as it involves dealers across states.

Last edited by ar134 : 2nd January 2019 at 07:09.
ar134 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 16:37   #517
BHPian

The new Jawa bikes do not have a center stand. Will it be available as an accessory at least - or does the design not accommodate it?

This is a bad miss - the old Jawa/Yezdi's sold in India had a center stand, and the side stand was an after market accessory.

How do you change a flat tyre without center stand?

Would like to know from the experience of owners of other bikes that don't have this important feature - like Bajaj Dominar, KTM etc?
Old 2nd January 2019, 18:09   #518
BHPian

Those who have booked a Jawa, what kind of delivery dates are you being promised?

If I book one now, am I looking at a wait time of 6 months or more?
Old 2nd January 2019, 18:11   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajoshi View Post
How do you change a flat tyre without center stand?

Would like to know from the experience of owners of other bikes that don't have this important feature - like Bajaj Dominar, KTM etc?
Dominar and KTM Duke have tubeless tyres, much like my CBR. So I just fill in air and take it to a tyre store, and even there the rear wheel is hardly removed from the bike as tubeless tyres do not require that at all times. However it would be a "Saar, please tilt and hold bike on side stand" affair for tube-type tyres without centre stand.

Last edited by Zappo : 2nd January 2019 at 18:35. Reason: Typos corrected.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 20:21   #520
R.G
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
Those who have booked a Jawa, what kind of delivery dates are you being promised?

If I book one now, am I looking at a wait time of 6 months or more?
If you are opting for dual channel ABS , as of now , the deliveries will start from June 2019 or after 6 months .

If the booking is for single channel , I guess it would take another 3-4 months considering the delivery of already booked ones.

I have booked a Jawa 42 (upgraded to dual channel ABS ) and there was no communication regarding the date of delivery. At present , there are no functional dealer showrooms in my city to begin with. There is one announced though

Also , as Surya_Tjet speculates , CL has planned all these and will “surprise” everyone by an early delivery .

Last edited by R.G : 2nd January 2019 at 20:50. Reason: Added clarity to dealer showroom statement
Old 3rd January 2019, 16:26   #521
BHPian

I had booked a Jawa Forty Two 3 days after the launch in mid November 2018. There was much about it that was attractive from the looks, to the power specs, the seat height (important for a short rider), the comfortable seating posture, etc.

But I have canceled my booking. My reasons were:

a) The feeling that Classic Legends is trying to be a little too cute with their "oh we listen to the customer" - we didn't have ABS, now we do stuff

b) All those who plonked down Rs. 5000 for an unknown bike need to be taken care of better and the best way would have been to give them long test rides. Forget long test rides, even scheduling a short test ride would have been good. But no, it is a melee in Jawa showrooms in which we have to fight to get 10 minutes on the bike. I have not yet ridden it.

c) All the visible bikes are pre-production and all flaws are dismissed as being rectified in the 'final' version whenever that will come. So it is unclear how the real bike will be or will fare when ridden. And meanwhile we cannot even get decent test rides on the pre-production versions.

d) It is not yet clear when we could get the bike. Dates range from end Jan to early March 2019.

e) Most reviews say that vibrations begin from around 90 kph and that it sounds stressed from 110 KPH. This is very odd for a bike with 27 BHP and 28 NM. Have no idea if this is in the gene or it will be fixed in the 'final cut'.

f) I saw the posts in this thread and there was also a post on YouTube by 41NM which bring up the valid point of timelines. How in heck did they manage to go from an idea to a designed, tested, production bike in 2 years? It could be that already some homework had been done before the announcement but ....

Simply put, that old adage of software, "Wait for Version 3" seems applicable here.
bevivek is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 17:56   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevivek View Post

Simply put, that old adage of software, "Wait for Version 3" seems applicable here.
True, I have no idea when my bike will be delivered. Nothing in writing at all, no communication from the Jawa team. The showroom says Feb / March, but I think I will get it by September. The good thing about that is that it will give us enough time and cancel the booking if required.
Regarding the timeline, its all a gray area since although they are using a tried and tested Mojo engine, the chassis and cycle parts are new. Good thing that the bike is pretty simple, although we have seen how that could go wrong too.
Lets wait and watch for the final production version to come out
Grease_Monkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 18:52   #523
BHPian

Quote:
True, I have no idea when my bike will be delivered. Nothing in writing at all, no communication from the Jawa team.
Yes, their communication to those who have booked has sucked big time. Lot of charcha on social media and random press releases with U turns but no effort to engage, keep, satisfy those who have put their money into their as yet mirage of a product. They seem drunk on the overbooked success of their bikes.
bevivek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 08:10   #524
BHPian

It is very disappointing to not have the promised showroom coming up within the stipulated time here in Siliguri, taking the test ride is another matter. However, I have not cancelled my booking made exactly a week after the launch of the Jawa twins, 22nd Nov 18. I wish to give the benefit doubt to the manufacturers, wait for the showroom and the bike for another month. After, I feel the bike in flesh then will decide whether to go on with the booking or cancel it.I expect the deliveries here to start somewhere in the end of March for those who booked within the first week of the launch. Why jump the gun in cancelling the booking? Unless of course those who have seen and felt the bike feel it is not worth it.Please let us know, as we have only seen it in pictures and video reviews.
Old 4th January 2019, 09:34   #525
Distinguished - BHPian

The key point isn't whether the vehicle is worth the wait. The key point is the missed-out purchase that we would have done, most probably from the RE stable if the Jawa bookings hadn't stopped us. That itself is quite impressive if one looks from a 3rd person's view.

For instance, RE's Classic 350 numbers have gone down 15% for November (to sub 40k); I expect a similar situation for December.

Wonder how many of you guys are open to booking other vehicles or will completely avoid the purchasing option if the Jawa doesn't live up to your expectations (or you tire of the waiting/other reasons)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickrider00 View Post
However, I have not cancelled my booking made exactly a week after the launch of the Jawa twins, 22nd Nov 18.
Quote:
True, I have no idea when my bike will be delivered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevivek View Post

But I have canceled my booking.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks