Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2019, 10:45   #526
BHPian

Re: Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Wonder how many of you guys are open to booking other vehicles or will completely avoid the purchasing option if the Jawa doesn't live up to your expectations (or you tire of the waiting/other reasons)?
If I do not eventually purchase Jawa, it wouldn't be an RE bike I will purchase. Maybe Dominar or CB300R (if Honda do finally decide to bring it here. My current motorcycle is almost 12 years old, and 1,00,000 + kms run so am looking to upgrade although I will miss some important equipment like tubeless tires, alloy wheels and tachometer which my bike already has. As per me Jawa bikes are way more competent than what the competition is, just need better people managing everything from customer relations to sales, and not just the instagram and Twitter feeds.
I am sold on the motorcycle, and so are my wife and parents so am likely to go forward unless Jawa does a major blunder
Grease_Monkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 18:06   #527
BHPian

Originally Posted by ninjatalli
Wonder how many of you guys are open to booking other vehicles or will completely avoid the purchasing option if the Jawa doesn't live up to your expectations (or you tire of the waiting/other reasons)?

I really hope Jawa delivers on its promise because I have already sold my Yamaha FZ25 motorcycle. If it does not, then I will be walking until something exciting in two wheels comes up. It's really a case of putting all your eggs in one basket. I am not going for an RE anytime soon, maybe will consider it in my 50s after my reflex becomes limited and I acquire the sage like patience to own one. I am past the KTMs, Honda and Yamaha motorcycles, could be the Kawasaki Z400 if nothing turns up by next year. As of now, it is Jawa or nothing.

Last edited by maverickrider00 : 4th January 2019 at 18:13.
Old 4th January 2019, 21:37   #528
Senior - BHPian

I think JAWA is 'planting' favourable videos on YOUTUBE. One guy tested the very same bike I rode in Basavanagudi and is raving about the fit and finish, brakes, pin striping, exhaust note etc. (Which I'd found lacking). Called out his bluff on the comments section.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 21:53   #529
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I think JAWA is 'planting' favourable videos on YOUTUBE. One guy tested the very same bike I rode in Basavanagudi and is raving about the fit and finish, brakes, pin striping, exhaust note etc. (Which I'd found lacking). Called out his bluff on the comments section.

Do share the video link here. Will be interesting to watch.
Old 4th January 2019, 21:53   #530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Shumi from Overdrive gave a heads-up about a brand (without naming it) inviting lots of V-loggers and Youtube users to review their motorcycle and offering to pay for positive reviews. I could not think of which brand could have given such an offer, but now I am quite convinced that it could be Jawa.

Maybe because the Jawa is the only other big launch (apart from the Enfield twins) and the new brand requires lot of positive reviews to gain traction against an established player.

Also, based on Mahindra's past track record - where they used their own employees and marketing agencies to keep writing positive user reviews under different names to push their two-wheeler sales - this cheap act was investigated and posted on many popular sites after which they slyly blamed their marketing partner and washed their hands off. So Classic Legends might have certainly tried something like that yet again.
Old 4th January 2019, 23:11   #531
BHPian

I test drove the 42 for the second time today after doing it the first time around 2 weeks back and came back convinced that it is still a no match to my 23 year old Yezdi Road King. The reason I say this apart from my experience of riding Yezdi for so long is that the new bike has issues in braking, gear changing, and the overall stance and sitting position. The gear shifting is crude, the rear brake is inadequate and nowhere comfortable like the old Yezdi. I am not sure why after even 6 decades nobody is able to beat Jawa/Yezdi in ride comfort, safety feeling and overall dynamics 😪 . So its all hype now and these bikes have a long way to go. They are just using a legendary name to exploit people.
Note that I have booked 42 myself but am not convinced enough to sell my gem Roadking.
Please be careful before putting lot of money... Jawa is just a brand name they are using... It's still miles away from jawa I comfort, safety and reliability. Not sure why they couldn't replicate the same geometry
All the law stipulates is a 4 stroke instead of the 2 stroke engine. They could have used similar chasis and suspension set up of jawa/yezdi
power ranger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 01:04   #532
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post

Please be careful before putting lot of money... Jawa is just a brand name they are using... It's still miles away from jawa I comfort, safety and reliability.
I find it strange that you already have a view on the bike’s reliability . Makes me wonder whether your overall view might be from a slightly biased lens.
Old 5th January 2019, 05:33   #533
BHPian

Why should I have a biased view when I myself am planning to buy one ? The point is the speedometer was not working on the test ride bike, we can say still this is pretty production bike as an excuse. However, not having a kick start and relying only on battery could be a challenge going forward. They should build the production ones carefully with enough road test
power ranger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 06:09   #534
Senior - BHPian

I think posting it here could give him unnecessary eyeballs. I'll PM it to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Do share the video link here. Will be interesting to watch.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 06:28   #535
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
Why should I have a biased view when I myself am planning to buy one ? The point is the speedometer was not working on the test ride bike, we can say still this is pretty production bike as an excuse. However, not having a kick start and relying only on battery could be a challenge going forward. They should build the production ones carefully with enough road test
Sorry to clarify by bias I meant perhaps coming from the emotional connect with your roadking not any malafide. I also questioned because I felt a test ride this early should not give any insight on reliability factor which you mentioned since you had not mentioned the speedometer incident in the post I quoted. The other issues are understandable opinions from a test ride.

I think in your shoes it may perhaps be best to wait a year and see how the ownership reports emerge for the Jawa, at least on the reliability front. Personally I do not believe that beyond a point it is possible to emulate the sounds and driving feel of an old 2 stroke engine. On ride and ergonomic comfort I cannot comment.

Finally, if you do happen to sell your roadking to buy this or any other modern bike, I would happily consider buying the old roadking if I can (seriously!). I rode a roadking a fair bit in college and have a soft spot for the old yezdis.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 07:42   #536
BHPian

As in my earlier post on this thread, I reiterate that if Classic Legends employs the customers as beta testers and goes the Royal Enfield way it will be finished before it gets a toe hold. Remember, we have just BOOKED the motorcycle not BOUGHT it and hence whether they are just creating hype over the internet or paying for the positive reviews, their products if not rectified will be dead on arrival. Hence for their sake as well as ours who have booked the motorcycle primarily on the good faith of the Mahindra brand and the delicious pictures of the motorcycle, they better deliver. The fact that even Royal Enfield is making itself competitive with emphasis on quality control and better R&D for new products indicate that the average Indian motorcyclist is no longer ready to accept any comprise with his/her ride, whether an enthusiast or a commuter. The same can be felt lower down in the segments where alloys, tubeless tyres and front disc brakes are the bragging points as well as selling highlights of most motorcycles. The first batch decided the future course of the Jawa motorcycles. As of now it would be too early to comment on reliability of the product but the pre-production excuse has to be dealt very seriously in the final production motorcycles for delivery with all present issues ironed out. Mahindra and Classic Legends must hear this out.

Last edited by maverickrider00 : 5th January 2019 at 07:48.
maverickrider00 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 10:16   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
First, I have to say that on paper the Jawa Forty Two looked about perfect for me. Right seat height, adequate power, good looks at a very affordable price, single channel ABS. I have no doubt too that eventually after 2, 3 iterations, the bike will be all that it promises. But too many questions loom about this first release so I will sit this one out.

I have already booked another vehicle and ironically a bike at the other end of the tried and tested bike spectrum, a CBR 250R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickrider00 View Post
Why jump the gun in cancelling the booking? Unless of course those who have seen and felt the bike feel it is not worth it.Please let us know, as we have only seen it in pictures and video reviews.
Many reasons why. In fact you mentioned one in the beginning of your post, viz., that there is no dealer as yet in Siliguri as promised. There is a distinct gap between the promise and the delivery and that is the story all over. Whether this is because of the unexpected demand or they are anyway all over the place we cannot know right now. Also only pre-production models, vibrations at lower speeds than expected, test rides difficult to get, etc.

But looks wise, and specs wise, it looks great. As I replied above to Ninjatalli, I think eventually the bike will be all that it promises. My worries are about the interim versions hence I cancelled. But that is just me.

Last edited by bevivek : 5th January 2019 at 10:36.
bevivek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 21:16   #538
BANNED

I have no doubt that the Jawa is a good bike. I own a Mojo and know that the drive train is solid and reliable. There is very little else in a motorcycle that can go seriously wrong and cannot be sorted out in a few thousand rupees. The Jawa, like any other two / four wheeler launched in the market may have minor issues but it is unlikely that it will be a shoddy product like some others are trying to imply. They may be upset that their ancient bike will be outsold by a modern motorcycle with retro looks.
Given that the Jawa is well subscribed, the minor niggles will soon be sorted out.
The 42 is a looker no doubt.
fiestarry is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 08:28   #539
Senior - BHPian

I find that some of us are being pessimistic without seeing the bike albeit riding one!

I definitely like the bike and the nostalgia it offers with the brand. Classic Legends might be treading waters carefully and much is imperative on them to have a successful and a competitive product.

In the first place, who knows if Classic Legends is not looking for Industry leading sale volumes, but a decent percentage of the overall market which they want to operate in.

I am eagerly waiting to buy my Jawa 42 to experience riding a bike after a long break!!
getsurya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 09:12   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
I have no doubt that the Jawa is a good bike. I own a Mojo and know that the drive train is solid and reliable. There is very little else in a motorcycle that can go seriously wrong and cannot be sorted out in a few thousand rupees. The Jawa, like any other two / four wheeler launched in the market may have minor issues but it is unlikely that it will be a shoddy product like some others are trying to imply. They may be upset that their ancient bike will be outsold by a modern motorcycle with retro looks.
Given that the Jawa is well subscribed, the minor niggles will soon be sorted out.
The 42 is a looker no doubt.
It is precisely for its retro looks/modern and proven engine combination that I have booked a Jawa 42.
With superior power to weight ratio than a RE350, it should be easier to potter around in town as compared to a Bullet and even a good substitute for the 150-250 cc bikes. I am not convinced of its highway performance though.

Most Viewed