Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2019, 08:11   #556
BHPian

Re: Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
How much distance did you do the TD; what kind of roads and speeds did you try? How's the suspension over bad roads? What's the acceleration like? What's the handling like? How does it fare to it's obvious comparison options, the RE 350/500? Need more deets
I test rode the vehicle for around 30 minutes and would have covered a distance of 10-12 km in city traffic with my wife as pillion rider. Acceleration especially in first gear reminded us of Nexon diesel sports mode 1st gear pickup (which I find it difficult to control in city) and would take some time getting used to. Jawa 42 test ride bike at showroom had already met with an accident with a car reportedly and was parked for display though I am not sure of the exact reason. Tested the suspension on speed breakers and a few potholes and felt they have nailed it though it is a bit on the harder side (maybe the hard seat adds to such conclusion). I did hit a maximum speed of 80 KMPH and the vibrations were practically nil (was checking the mirrors/footrest to find any vis-a-vis RE). My foot happened to touch the engine and it understandably (last person to test ride it late in the evening) was hot but not to the extent we should worry. 20 kgs lesser weight does tilt the favour in handling capabilities even though taking U turns is not as easy as in a Pulsar (my old bike) but certainly better than RE. I for one would not even evaluate RE (except twins which I haven't ridden yet and is certainly out of my budget) as my prospective bike for numerous reasons (with no offence to RE fanboys) .

Cons would be the pre-production excuse which was given when I pointed out side stand on indicator not available on ODO which probably you or one more BHPian had seen in your test ride bike. It sort of borders on an ill-prepared student giving excuses to questions he fails to answer in an exam and could have been avoided. Nevertheless I am in desperate need of a bike having sold off my Pulsar and would bite the bullet of owning a Jawa considering there is only the RE as an alternative in this segment.

Hope I have atleast tried to provide a few more useful details and met your expectation partially

Last edited by GTO : 17th January 2019 at 07:36. Reason: Typo corrected. Thanks
ar134 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 19:50   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
What did they quote you?
No idea, because I booked online the very day booking opened, and there is no showroom in Kolkata yet. I was expecting it would touch 2, but 2.2 is pushing it. Maybe the new extended insurance norms have made the price higher than my expectation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar134 View Post
Hope I have atleast tried to provide a few more useful details and met your expectation partially
Yes, my good sir, you have! As you understand us poor showroom-less blokes are hungry for any impartial reviews. Your words are solace to our eager and aching hearts

One question, as I did not see this covered in any reviews, what is the leg guard situation? Is there provision for fitment or are they ranting on 'pre-production' there as well?

EDIT: Just after posting this, I see this:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ings-open.html
Boy, am I in a dilemma!

Last edited by cr4nkshaft : 15th January 2019 at 19:52.
Old 15th January 2019, 20:25   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr4nkshaft View Post
I was expecting it would touch 2, but 2.2 is pushing it.

One question, as I did not see this covered in any reviews, what is the leg guard situation? Is there provision for fitment or are they ranting on 'pre-production' there as well?
Karnataka has the highest percentage of road taxes in the country and Jawa and 42 OTR are expected to be 2.2 lakh and 2.1 lakh respectively.

It didn't cross my mind even though I cross checked provision for pillion backrest. We can safely assume (along with many similar assumptions . ) Jawa would have made a provision for the same.

Last edited by ar134 : 15th January 2019 at 20:28.
Old 15th January 2019, 23:12   #559
BHPian

Last weekend I went to the showroom again to check the above two, since I had the same questions.
Leg guard: I couldn't find any bolt holes for them. However, we could perhaps fit the leg guard bottom bolts to the engine base plate/metal cowl and top bolt to the radiator mounts. Attaching a pic for reference.
Pillion seat backrest/handle: Yes, there is a threaded hole behind the side pillion handles - one each side. That should do it, or rather remove the side handles and fix the pillion back rest, or both. Attaching a pic, not sure if its clear
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-1547573593189.jpg  

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-1547574118198.jpg  

Grease_Monkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 20:32   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease_Monkey View Post
Pillion seat backrest/handle: Yes, there is a threaded hole behind the side pillion handles - one each side. That should do it, or rather remove the side handles and fix the pillion back rest, or both. Attaching a pic, not sure if its clear
No Worries Mate, Classic Legends will weld two nuts on the Silencer and two nuts on the chassis so that we can mount the leg guard. The next sprint cycle is about to complete and you can hear the stories from them directly
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 21:26   #561
Distinguished - BHPian

Cochin is also going to be blessed with a Jawa showroom. I saw work going on at the new showroom location with a big Jawa banner outside. I would say its at least a few weeks away from completion. Its located diagonally across from the Royal Enfield showroom at Edapally (adjacent to the Ford showroom). But with a 9 month waiting period, I wonder how many new sales they will be able to generate in the coming months. Nonetheless, I am keen to check out the showroom and see the fit and finish of the (pre-production?) bikes.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 10:42   #562
BHPian

As much as I love the Jawa 42, the promised but non existent dealership up till now in Siliguri, the lack of any sincere effort of Classic Legends to reach out to those customers who have already booked the motorcycle but not seen one in flesh and the recent launch of Honda's CB300R has gradually made me disillusioned with the Jawa relaunch. Either the people responsible with the relaunch were not prepared for this kind of response or they are simply taking time to up the game as far as pre production motorcycles are concerned is anyone's guess. However as of now, I am seriously considering booking the Honda though I have not cancelled my Jawa42 booking. The least Jawa can do is showcase their motorcycles in different cities which are yet to have their dealership open. This I believe will help to continue with the interest on the motorcycles because as of now, I only have a booking certificate to keep me hooked to the brand and I believe there are lots like me.
maverickrider00 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 14:51   #563
R.G
BHPian

Trivandrum showroom.I took that route today.

From the looks , it is a good two months away . This would also mean the test rides are not going to start anytime soon .
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-0f26c7f3b6ec417c84ae81361949577c.jpeg  

R.G is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 13:44   #564
BHPian

Phoenix Motors, JAWA showroom in Adyar, Chennai is all set to open. I couldn't get inside since they were waiting for the guest to officially open the showroom. Located couple of buildings away from the RE showroom.
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-img_7911-1.jpg
Torino is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 23:51   #565
Lij
BHPian

Jawa showroom in Thane is now open. Walked in to see a Jawa in black and Jawa 42 in red displayed. They said test rides will start from Feb 1 but are accepting bookings.

Location is on the service lane opposite to Viviana mall.
Lij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 14:17   #566
BHPian

A question mainly for those who own/owned Bajaj Eliminator/Avenger before.

I am just short of 5 6' and would like to buy Perak. I heard that Perak is longer than other Jawa bikes. In this regard I would like to know,

1. How does Perak compares with Eliminator in terms of dimensions.
2. In future if needed, is there anyway the seat can be converted to a double seater instead of the OEM single seater.

-Girish
Old 28th January 2019, 16:38   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
Jawa showroom in Thane is now open. Walked in to see a Jawa in black and Jawa 42 in red displayed. They said test rides will start from Feb 1 but are accepting bookings.

Location is on the service lane opposite to Viviana mall.
Hi Any photos of the jawa 42 in red colour?
Old 28th January 2019, 16:43   #568
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
I am just short of 5 6' and would like to buy Perak.
Perak is only a concept as of now - so no question of buying it soon.
Old 28th January 2019, 20:49   #569
BHPian

Red photo at Delhi dealership launch
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-1548688726593.jpg  

power ranger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 07:46   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
Phoenix Motors, JAWA showroom in Adyar, Chennai is all set to open. I couldn't get inside since they were waiting for the guest to officially open the showroom. Located couple of buildings away from the RE showroom.
Attachment 1840747
I visited the showroom on Saturday (26 Jan) and it was packed as expected.
Vehicle looks and feels much more compact and yet appealing in flesh.
First thing i did was that to check if the golden stripes are painted or stickers...Thanks god it was painted.😁
Test rides to start from this weekend onwards
IntoTheStorm is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed