Team-BHP - Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/181224-mahindra-bringing-jawa-back-edit-launched-rs-1-55-lakh-9.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4488056)
Jawa's upcoming Enfield rival finally spotted testing on the roads -
Looks nothing like the earlier speculated Chinese model. Bring it on Mahindra!

Its classic Jawa bodywork lines are very clear even through the camo!
The engine with twin-muffler is of course a neo-replication of the Jawa 2 stroke power plant.

The turn indicators and tail lamp seem to be well integrated.

That bullet-fairing of the headlamp of the old Jawa seems to have been changed to that similar to a Yezdi?

All-in-all, it appears to be a well proportioned neo-classic! Hope they got that classic Jawa 2-stroke syncopated exhaust beat right!

Jawa spotted!!! Not sure if its the cladding for test purposes but the proportions look a bit weird!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinair (Post 4488153)
Jawa spotted!!! Not sure if its the cladding for test purposes but the proportions look a bit weird!!

Great catch. Looks very similar to the original bike. I guess the original bike's proportions were also quite "weird" going by the template of modern bikes. Another modern classic is born !

The fake motorcycle looks nice but I hope it performs the part as well, the motorcycle was known for its reliability and I hope it retains the same in its new avatar.

On a related but unrelated note, I got a Nokia 3310 2.5G model recently as I've grown up using the monochrome Nokia 3310 and Nokia 3330(International Variant of the Nokia 3310, came with a WAP Browser :D ) for the best part of my childhood.

I was kinda able to connect with the retro look of the phone but in every other aspect the phone failed to connect, to put it bluntly the phone was way too feature packed that I scrapped it shortly after and went back to my Samsung E1200 Guru/Pusha, as it was more a classic Nokia 3310 than the 2.5G variant with the same name.

Hope the enthusiast doesn't feel the same way the new Jawa's.

Cheers,
A.P.

Not something you really notice, but something you can't seem to miss once you notice either -

I just hate the way the exhaust goes inside (Probably to the cat con), and then comes out later to form the split pipes, unlike the original which would have just been a straight pipe.

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-img20181031wa0046.jpg

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-img20181031wa0046_exhaust.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zappo (Post 4488085)
Here's my additional take. Jawa/Yezdi also had a sound that people use to hanker for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 4488107)
Strongly agree with you; I'm also a personal fan of that sound; when the throttle is closed, you hear one dun followed by the other dun after 100 meters & in between nothing at all & when you do a quick shift down, sort of engine braking, the engine roaring is pure goosebumps.

Love that sound, even more than Enfields or any other such iconic machines like the RX/RD too! But will it be possible to replicate that magic on modern 4 stroke engines? Doubt it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4488383)
Not something you really notice, but something you can't seem to miss once you notice either -

I just hate the way the exhaust goes inside (Probably to the cat con), and then comes out later to form the split pipes, unlike the original which would have just been a straight pipe.

Sujai, rest assured, there will be a dummy pipe cover in the production spec for sure, just like on the Street Twin (the circled part is a cover). The black exhast bits that you see on the Jawa will be hidden from view.

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-122315topi.jpg
Image Source: Google

From the pics it appears to a be size smaller compared to the RE Classic, its main rival.
While the proportions look good, the lack of rear disc is little disappointing. Let's see if they have an optional variant offering it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porschefire (Post 4488400)
Sujai, rest assured, there will be a dummy pipe cover in the production spec for sure, just like on the Street Twin (the circled part is a cover).

Oh wow! Never even noticed that cover on the Triumph till you pointed it out now. Great execution. Hope Jawa takes note too! :thumbs up

My first bike as a young 10th std. pass out was a second hand "doodhwalas" yezdi. Despite having owned and ridden numerous super bikes after that, the Yezdi will always remain my favourite. Apart from the signature sound the other idiosyncrasy the bike had was the combined gear lever and kick starter. You had to push the lever in and then rotate it backwards to transform it to the kick starter.

Mind you, the kick back used to be ferocious and I remember many a bruised shin. 😛

I have mixed feelings seeing the prototype.

I still don't see a strong enough reason for it to buy. It isn't beautiful enough, ok its trying best to mimic the Original Yezdi/Jawa, but am not to sure about the 4 stroke engine.

Neither here nor there for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by payeng (Post 4488472)
I have mixed feelings seeing the prototype.

I still don't see a strong enough reason for it to buy. It isn't beautiful enough, ok its trying best to mimic the Original Yezdi/Jawa, but am not to sure about the 4 stroke engine.

Neither here nor there for me.

Same here. I am not able to decide yet whether I like it or not?

Somehow looking at the test mule I am getting a feeling that the overall quality might not be too far away from RE's and that will be disappointing.

However, will wait till it is available at dealers to check out in person before concluding.

Ideal scenario for Mahindra would be to have the retro appeal of the Enfields with the build and engine qualities of the Mojo. That would ensure it doesn't sink like their first attempt.

Plus - If it can sound anything like a Jawa - then they would have hit the jackpot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4488518)
Ideal scenario for Mahindra would be to have the retro appeal of the Enfields with the build and engine qualities of the Mojo. That would ensure it doesn't sink like their first attempt.

According to me, the "RETRO APPEAL" is NOT the real reason why it that works for the Royal Enfield's in India.. but mainly its the IMAGE of MACHO appeal at a price below the Maruti Alto 800 that is the selling point of the Royal Enfields.

Quote:

Plus - If it can sound anything like a Jawa - then they would have hit the jackpot.

The closest a 4 Stoke can mimic a 2 Stroke is probably the made in India KTM 125/200/290 series (RC/Duke).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor (Post 4488122)
Hope they got that classic Jawa 2-stroke syncopated exhaust beat right!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4488383)

Love that sound, even more than Enfields or any other such iconic machines like the RX/RD too! But will it be possible to replicate that magic on modern 4 stroke engines? Doubt it.

Quote:

Apparently, Mahindra knows this as a character that lingers in the mind of Yezdi/Jawa fans.

Quote:

A generous mid-range and a flat torque curve, apart from a heavy focus on creating a resemblance to the original Jawa’s exhaust note, will be the highlight of this new motor, something Ashish Joshi, CEO, Classic Legends (the parent company which is a division of Mahindra) emphasised on in an interview with Autocar India.

Source

My Yezdi had some endearing features :
- One pedal for starting, gear and clutch
- Ability to run with broken clutch cable and accelerator cable
- Perfect balance with center stand - if you removed either wheel it was stable on the stand and the other wheel
- Can run with one punctured tire - just put the punctured tire in front
- Emergency fuel to run 6-8 KM - put the bike on the ground on the left side after it runs out of reserve fuel
- Snappy gear changes without clutch

Of curse, it was a very "dirty" bike running on 5% oil added to petrol. Mileage, at best, was 38 KMPL in city traffic.

But it was fun to ride !!!!