Jawa India unveil date announced.

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-1.jpg

link
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 17:18   #107
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh

Yezdi Jawas were a Parsi favourite. Odds are, if you spot a well-maintained Yezdi today, it's owner is a Parsi.

Well, Mahindra has roped in a "Bawa" - Boman Irani - for the unveiling on 15th November.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 17:20   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yezdi Jawas were a Parsi favourite. Odds are, if you spot a well-maintained Yezdi today, it's owner is a Parsi.

Well, Mahindra has roped in a "Bawa" - Boman Irani - for the unveiling on 15th November.
His family owned the Yezdi brand for years

http://www.yezdi.com/about has this at the bottom

© 2017 BOMAN R IRANI. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
hserus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 19:36   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
His family owned the Yezdi brand for years

© 2017 BOMAN R IRANI. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Some more here -

Quote:
Boman Rustom Irani was roped in because of his family connections to the brand. Irani confesses he was a little taken aback by Thareja’s unconventional appearance. However, once they began talking motorcycles, he was convinced: “I said, whatever the journey, I am in. I will be very happy to see the legend that my family brought to this country, ride through the streets again.” The connection was deeply personal with Irani. He recalls a youth spent riding a circuit from Mysore to Ooty to Bengaluru and back, all on a Jawa bike. And a popular Gujarati phrase that spoke of the passion people had for the brand: “Khawa na hoye toh chale, pan Jawajoiye (If I don’t get to eat that’s fine, but I need a Jawa). It was a brand that built the country. On the roads at the time, it was a simple rugged trustworthy motorcycle that would never fail.”
https://brandequity.economictimes.in...assic/65958142
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 22:15   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys - genuine question. What's special about Jawa? Is it the retro look & feel (like RE) or does it trump in any aspects?

I know Jawa brand has a huge following, but don't know why. I kind of know what's great about an RX100 and hear about RE.
Old 23rd October 2018, 20:54   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Guys - genuine question. What's special about Jawa? Is it the retro look & feel (like RE) or does it trump in any aspects?

I know Jawa brand has a huge following, but don't know why. I kind of know what's great about an RX100 and hear about RE.
Its the whole ownership experience, ruggedness of the bike, the 2 stroke pull, the engine firing sound( i used to identify my fathers bike by the sound when i was 3 yrs old ) I think the retro look may add but for folks like me whose fathers were bike enthusiasts, have spent our childhood travelling on the bike, have treasured the bike till date ( have my fathers 1973 Jawa in mint condition, its a big nostalgic feeling.

Enfield RE has been having a free run last few yrs. lets see if this introduction of Jawa impacts it
ShaileshHinge is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 21:13   #112

I know that the new Jawa will not be able to kindle the same kind of passion old Jawa does. My only hope is that the new Jawa forces the prices of old Jawa down which will allow me to get one
sdm_9999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 15:12   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm_9999 View Post
I know that the new Jawa will not be able to kindle the same kind of passion old Jawa does. My only hope is that the new Jawa forces the prices of old Jawa down which will allow me to get one
That's never going to happen, the old Jawa's being 2 stroke and this being a 4 Stroke. The old bikes will still be treasured and will hold its demand, if you ask me the prices will see a steep increase as the demand for vintage Jawa will increase post launch.

Pramod
Old 24th October 2018, 16:10   #114
Senior - BHPian

Hope people dont confuse Boman Irani with the actor

It will be very difficult for Mahindra to create the continuity after such a long time. If the bike is good and young people accept it, its good. But for someone like me and others for whom it was one of the couple of bikes that even existed in India, it will be difficult. Even the Road King was little different compared to the Jawa although the sound was exact same.
Old 25th October 2018, 06:26   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Having owned both Yezdi & Rx, here's what I can say...
- In the pre 1984 where there was no "C" of choices, Yezdi & Jawa were the only powerful motorcycles that helped go about places
- Before the 90s kids were charmed by the sound of Rx the 80s kids were charmed by the smoke of Yezdi & Jawa
- You could do any juggad with Yezdi & Jawa but limited with Rx & very limited with today's motorcycles
- Rx is reliable than Yezdi, but Yezdi never gives up & I'm talking about an engine seizure. I've rode a Rx that had an engine seizure, but after few months I had to rebuild the engine. Had that been an Yezdi/Jawa, I'm sure it would've lasted few years
- If you could learn one or two tricks from the mechanic, it was easy to work on Yezdi/Jawa, not that difficult with Rx & not so easy with modern day motorcycles
aargee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 18:55   #116
Team-BHP Support

Jawa's upcoming Enfield rival finally spotted testing on the roads -

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-img20181031wa0043.jpg

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-img20181031wa0047.jpg

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-img20181031wa0046.jpg

Looks nothing like the earlier speculated Chinese model. Bring it on Mahindra!

Pics received on Whatsapp biking group. Original ource unknown.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 31st October 2018 at 19:11.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 19:15   #117
BHPian

Mojo Engine.
Strong and a seond life for a good machine.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 19:39   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
- Before the 90s kids were charmed by the sound of Rx the 80s kids were charmed by the smoke of Yezdi & Jawa
Here's my additional take. Jawa/Yezdi also had a sound that people use to hanker for. While the Enfield had the bass heavy "ddhuk ddhuk ddhuk" kind of sound that people loved the Yezdis (and Jawas) sounded like free revving sport bikes in comparison in those days. Particularly after a steady acceleration when the rider used to let go off the accelerator the sound of the engine used to be amazing! People also loved the twin exhaust pipes of the Jawas.
Zappo is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 19:42   #119
BHPian

Rear drum brake on a premium motorcycle in 2018? Seriously Mahindra??
Otherwise the motorcycle looks decently built and the design is lovely. Lets hope it lives up to the hype.
Old 31st October 2018, 20:05   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Here's my additional take...People also loved the twin exhaust pipes of the Jawas.
Strongly agree with you; I'm also a personal fan of that sound; when the throttle is closed, you hear one dun followed by the other dun after 100 meters & in between nothing at all & when you do a quick shift down, sort of engine braking, the engine roaring is pure goosebumps.
aargee is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed