Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2018, 10:10   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh

My grandpa would have wanted one is all i can say.

Maybe Mahindra is not targeting the broad customer base of RE with this one. Maybe they have a plan when they say they are unveiling 4 new motorcycles on 15th Nov?

Am just plain confused in regards to Mahindra's strategy. The product itself does not appeal to me personally but i see divided opinions since what one "likes" is a pretty personal choice.
Old 6th November 2018, 10:14   #152
BHPian

Kudos to Mahindra for bringing back this veteran and not making too many changes with respect to its looks and charm.

The main question lies is whether Mahindra would be able to replicate that sweet exhaust note of the iconic 2-stroke, with a 4-stroke now.
Old 6th November 2018, 11:07   #153
Senior - BHPian

I quite like the design. If the engine sounds good then it might sell. Need to see how much it weighs compared to Royal Enfield Classic.

As for the drum brake, if we look closely, the drum size is pretty large, so it shouldn't be much of a problem, having said that, a rear disc would have received a grand welcome.
Old 6th November 2018, 11:26   #154
Senior - BHPian

Wish they get the Roadking as well. The Yezdi's were known to be lighter nimble compared to the heavy Bullet. Being a two stroke they had distinct sound, not sure if Jawa can replicate that sound using a single cylinder 4 stroke unit.
Old 6th November 2018, 11:53   #155
BHPian

There are always two types of people.

1. "I like it"
2. "I don't like it"

And it is very hard to come up with a design that pleases everyone. As a software designer, I know this very well. And it applies to any physical product too. To be truthful, there are many people who don't like RE Bullets as well.

And any product designer knows that designing a niche product with - "Neither here , nor there" design is lot worse than "Either Here or either There". This is not a mass-market bike. I appreciate Mahindra for taking a bold decision to stick to the mostly-original retro reproduction of the Jawas. This may go well with the intended segment.

And I am pretty sure, Mahindra is not expecting to sell 5000 copies of Jawa every month. With their very limited 2W dealer network, they will be targeting 500-700 copies every month at the max. They burnt the finger once. So they will be cautious now. Mahindra is not going to launch with one model and hope to ring the cash box. Few days ago, they teased they have 4 different models in pipeline. So I am pretty sure, they have a model for every requirements like Cruiser, Everyday commuter, Adventure sports etc.

Here is my question.

What if Suzuki or Yamaha or even Bajaj, launched the Retro Jawa with their branding? People would have gone ga-ga over it. The branding value has a lot of power.

Give the Mahindra folks some well deserved appreciation for bringing out the Jawa into 2018 reality.

Last edited by rajeshsundaram : 6th November 2018 at 11:55.
rajeshsundaram is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 12:06   #156
BANNED

Jawa was a two stroke. That is out. So by the looks of it Mahindra want to use the name for marketing. I remember many having the plates reversed reading 'ipzah'. In fact I was quite young and used to wonder what it was.
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 12:38   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

What Mahindra has done is bring the best of both worlds together. It has smartly combined the legacy and looks of the Jawas of old with the modern capable engine of the Mojo. And added ABS as well which the under appreciated Mojo never received. I dare say that in terms of nostalgia deep rooted in our childhood and / or youth, Jawa has a an equal or even stronger brand value than Royal Enfields. What Jawa doesnt have when compared to RE, is the strength of recency as it has been out of sight, out of mind.

For the young working Indian, these Mahindra Jawas are a wonderful throwback, the sort of bike that you can take home to your dad and wait for him to ask you for the keys to it. How many bikes today can actually do that? And the reliable Mojo engine isnt likely to mark its territory in your drive way like your Pomeranian does nor is it likely to throw fits and refuse to start when you least expect it.

The Jawa faithful might scoff at this modern lookalike but for the rest of us, this might prove to be a very positive alternative to the sea of Classic 350s that would have otherwise been our numero uno choice. Talk about the Indian customer being a king nowadays!
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 12:40   #158
Team-BHP Support

So how close is it?

Original -

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-maxresdefault.jpg

New -

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-d5557b14b13f4c17a9f7ebf22bf53348.jpeg

I'd say they pretty much have done a good job. Even if India doesn't like it, they can always try and bring the Roadking next (That connects with a lot more younger audience). This could get an international customer base too!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 6th November 2018 at 12:42.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 13:58   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Ameya View Post
I hope to God that i am wrong but is that a drum brake at the back ? Forget ABS not even a disc ? Even RE is updating its line up with ABS. Seems like a deal breaker to me unless i am missing something.
Just to be a bit sarcastic to Mahindra and without knowing much of the development phase of Jawa motorcycles, it looks like they have a general aversion to providing ABS (dual channel) right up front on its higher cc bikes. Same is the story with Mojo, a gem of a bike but without ABS in times when every other manufacturer seems to be equipping their bikes with ABS.
Old 7th November 2018, 09:47   #160
BHPian

Saw this article on Rushlane which mentions an adventure tourer version also being spied. So may be they will unveil 4 versions as shown in sketches i.e. classic, adventure, bobber, scrambler.

https://www.rushlane.com/jawa-300-ad...-12286806.html

Last edited by Madhu_Bengaluru : 7th November 2018 at 09:59.
Old 7th November 2018, 10:19   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
Just to be a bit sarcastic to Mahindra and without knowing much of the development phase of Jawa motorcycles, it looks like they have a general aversion to providing ABS (dual channel) right up front on its higher cc bikes. Same is the story with Mojo, a gem of a bike but without ABS in times when every other manufacturer seems to be equipping their bikes with ABS.
This one has ABS.

Pramod
Old 7th November 2018, 13:03   #162
BANNED

The sound. The sound. Just like the RE's, the Jawas have an iconic tune. What is it going to sound like?
With a 4 stroke engine, it is going to be a lot quieter. I am not going to miss the blue smoke though.

And the gear lever and kick rod combo. Is that still retained?
Mafia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 14:59   #163
BHPian

I have to say, that looks like a good attempt. Liquid cooled engine, presumably based on the one on Mojo should mean that time bike is modern and refined than Royal Enfield. That's one way to do a modern retro. However, I do not know how this 4 stroke engine sounds and if Jawa buyers would mind that it isn't a sweet sounding 2 stroke of the yore.

I think it's time to accept the change and move on. Learn to let a few things go.
Old 7th November 2018, 20:25   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
The sound. The sound. Just like the RE's, the Jawas have an iconic tune. What is it going to sound like?
With a 4 stroke engine, it is going to be a lot quieter. I am not going to miss the blue smoke though.

And the gear lever and kick rod combo. Is that still retained?
Although Jawa have told that they have worked on the exhaust note to make it sound like the Jawas of the yore, I doubt that it would sound like the old 2 strokes.

Controls would be just like all other motorcycles on the roads. So it will have gear level on the left possibly without a kickstarter.
Old 8th November 2018, 17:51   #165
Senior - BHPian

Some more pics of the upcoming Jawa (India)

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-a1.jpg

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-a2.jpg

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-a3.jpg

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-a4.jpg

Source - Motor World India
aargee is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed