Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2018, 12:22   #196
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh

Jawa lost their 'mojo' yesterday by 7:30 PM itself! Today was just a formality with that boring presentation.

While those two might be different products, positioning the launch on the very next day of the RE revolution was a very big risk - and I feel RE has the last laugh. Most people seemed to have lost the initial interest they had for Jawa.

Seems decent against the 350 Classic range though! Need to see one in person to gauge the fit and finish levels.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th November 2018 at 12:24.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 12:26   #197
BHPian

Jawa is manufactured on contract basis in Pitampur.
105 dealerships in 1st phase.. 1st 64 will be functional from 5th Dec and bikes will be available for display and test ride with dealers from the time they open.
Nicky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 12:28   #198
BHPian

Agree about the presentation quality. They just seemed so unorganized with the whole event!
The pricing however seems to be well thought through. Anything lesser would have dampened the brand value and higher would have killed the brand even before it took off (again).
AbhiIyengar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 12:30   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Jawa lost their 'mojo' yesterday by 7:30 PM itself! Today was just a formality with that boring presentation.

While those two might be different products, positioning the launch on the very next day of the RE revolution was a very big risk - and I feel RE has the last laugh. Most people seemed to have lost the initial interest they had for Jawa.
I remember a discussion on the Twins thread about how Jawa might steal RE's thunder by scheduling its launch immediately after the latter's launch.

In hindsight, it looks like a poor decision. But nobody expected such killer pricing for the twins.
satishv1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 12:39   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
Chewing gum and getting the price wrong, said on-road first and I was like Woahhhh. Quite a debacle this launch is !
Too much attitude from that guy - he was casual and dismissive about most questions, while generally giving the air that they are doing them a favour.

Anand Mahindra in the meanwhile was answering serious questions with the kind of fluff that he doles out on Twitter.

Makes you wonder why they invited journos - this whole thing could’ve been done with a PPT handout and an embedded video.

This is another tilt at the windmills from
Mahindra, and the market will provide the answers.
Steeroid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 12:41   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Looks like the Enfield twins have taken all the attention away from the Jawa launch.
It did indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
possibility that Mahindra can deliver shock pricing
Unless they had some special hindsight into what RE was planning to price their twins here, quite unlikely that they could do that. And quite frankly, instead of Mahindra shocking us with the pricing, RE shocked Mahindra with their pricing strategy yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Quite true. Unless there is no way someone can be so boring while delivering a bike with has a lot of history tied on to it. And that energy got transferred into the audience as well. Imagine the plight of the folks who showed up for the launch and realize that even the manufacturers are disinterested.

Quote:
Seems decent against the 350 Classic range though!
True. The classic 350 customers will have something to cross-shop or consider as an alternative before writing the cheque to RE.

Ride safe,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 13:19   #202
BHPian

The existing RE Classic 350, without ABS, is priced around 1.39L ex-showroom. The Thunderbird 350 received ABS recently and had a price hike of about 7K. So, if we assume that the CL350 will also receive a price hike of about 7K which makes the ex-showroom price as 1.46L, Jawa Classic at 1.64L seems on par with a comparatively good engine with liquid-cooling and more power producing 27hp compared to 20hp of REs.

The Mojos (UT & XT) at 1.49L and 1.79L respectively are officially dead now and Dominar at 1.63L for ABS version may come under hammer now, if not from the RE 650 twins.
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 14:12   #203
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra launched Jawa-42 @ 1.55L and Jawa @1.64L

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-screenshot_2018111514141901.png

Source

Last edited by SoumenD : 15th November 2018 at 14:29.
SoumenD is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 14:14   #204
BHPian

Jawa Classic:

Jawa Grey
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-jawa-grey.jpg

Jawa Maroon
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-jawa-maroon.jpg

Jawa Black
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-jawa-black.jpg

Jawa 42:

Nebula Blue
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-jawa-42-nebula-blue.jpg

Starlight Blue
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-jawa-42-starlight-blue.jpg

Halley's Teal
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-jawa-42-halleys-teal.jpg

Lumos Lime
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-jawa-42-lumos-lime.jpg

Galactic Green
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-jawa-42-galactic-green.jpg

One more colour Comet Red is also there for Jawa 42.

Engine Specifications:
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-jawa-engine-specs.png
jpcoolguy is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 14:17   #205
BHPian

The presentation was indeed quite insipid, progressed haltingly & compared to the flamboyant and extremely well presented launch event yesterday by Siddhartha Lal, this came across as a damp squib. Mahindra should have chosen their presenter well & maybe brought on a little more jazz.

But that doesn't take away the fact that the Jawa offerings look fairly retro yet elegant. Also, with a Mojo derived, liquid cooled engine under the hood, the riding experience, drivability and reliability should be a given. The fact that the engine is BS 6 ready today is reassuring. All said and done the liquid cooled engine with its specifically designed faux fins looks sufficiently retro, and isn't that what was aimed at the first place? Even the bikes themselves look sufficiently retro, with just a hint of modern design in places and the design mostly elegant. Most would agree that Mahindra has been able to replicate the looks of yesteryears' Jawa to a large degree. What remains to be seen is the handling, power and torque characteristics of the bike.

In the video they have time and again brought out the reliability factor of the erstwhile Jawas. IMO they are subtly hinting at the reliability (or rather, the lack of it) in their direct competition - the 350~500cc offerings by Royal Enfield. Given the fact that it is Mojo derived engine, which has been appreciated over the years for its own drivability and reliability, the mechanicals of the engine (and hopefully transmission) should be well sorted IMO.

In addition, the low seat height of 765 mm and a kerb weight of 170 kg will make this bike accessible to a lot of short riders, ladies & gents alike, who would've otherwise hesitated at trying out a RE. The twin exhausts, mimicking those of yesteryears' Jawa/Yezdi exhausts also add to the exclusivity factor.

The price shocker by Royal Enfield yesterday will be difficult to replicate (of course it remains to be seen if Royal Enfield can sustain these kind of fantastic prices in the long run; what most surmise is that quietly and surreptitiously Royal Enfield would jack up the prices over the years). What could work in Jawa's favour is if they build a brand image of reliable, comfortable, tough yet modern retro styled bikes that do not break down every few thousand kms. And that, given all the expertise available at their end and all the technology that has gone into this bike, should not be difficult to achieve.

Maybe they're already working on a 650 cc offering which they hope to launch in a few years' time under the BSA logo (by which time they should have a fairly widespread and well trained ecosystem of dealers/workshops across the country).

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 15th November 2018 at 14:36. Reason: Grammar
Ironhide is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 14:22   #206

I am trying to pay the booking amount but getting an error. Any tips on how to book ?
Old 15th November 2018, 14:30   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice looking bikes. Price I'm not much interested as I'm not buying it anyway. Presentation, watched for 5 minutes and closed it as it was like one of the many boring presentations that we encounter at our workplaces. Thought I'll read it afterwards on TBHP for any and all details.

Saw some beautiful pictures and one thing I couldn't find was the kick rod. Does it have the famous kicker gear lever combo or is it like the new norm of electric-start-only bikes?
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 14:48   #208
Team-BHP Support

Comment from a friend, that I think best summarises the market situation -

"Mahindra Jawa launched their own Bullet today".
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 14:54   #209
Senior - BHPian

The bike and the price looks good. Looks like a good alternative to the RE 350
SnS_12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 15:04   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Nice looking bikes. Price I'm not much interested as I'm not buying it anyway. Presentation, watched for 5 minutes and closed it as it was like one of the many boring presentations that we encounter at our workplaces. Thought I'll read it afterwards on TBHP for any and all details.

Saw some beautiful pictures and one thing I couldn't find was the kick rod. Does it have the famous kicker gear lever combo or is it like the new norm of electric-start-only bikes?
Sadly, like many other newer fuel-injected motorcycles, these new-gen Jawa bikes too do away with the kick lever. Apart from the retro feel (macho for few), what the kick lever really provides is peace of mind. Coming back home from a two week vacation, I always recite a small prayer before I thumb the starter on my CBR250R. But my Apache on the other hand, I am least bothered - as a drained battery means just a few kicks to get going and a few more kilometers to get charged right back.
aravind.anand is online now   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks