Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2018, 19:24   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh

For the first time ever I was actually excited about a Bike launch. It looks awesome and the specs are cool too. Mahindra seems to have learned from their past mistakes.

The exhaust is neatly tucked-in in comparison to the GT650, or at least it appears so from the pictures.
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 20:47   #227
Senior - BHPian

From whatever i have seen on Youtube the "Classic" Jawa looks so pure..

Seat height: 765 mm
Kerb Weight: 170 kgs
27 Ps and 28 Nm (the much raved Mojo engine)
Single Channel (my preferred ABS setup) ABS

Sounds like the perfect bike i was looking for.

Only thing missing for me are Tubeless Tyres

Last edited by payeng : 15th November 2018 at 20:56.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 21:31   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Only thing missing for me are Tubeless Tyres
Really I thought tubeless are standard now. The one thing I dread about bikes is it will leave me stranded somewhere.
Tapish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 22:40   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Really I thought tubeless are standard now.
Well, I think with the spoked alloys, there is no option but to keep a tube in the tires to ensure that the air is not leaking.
R-Six is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 22:46   #230
Senior - BHPian

The Jawa Perak will stand out by a mile in our roads. It would be the first affordable bobber available at our shores, and looking at those slash cut exhausts and going by how the Mojo without the db-killer sounded, this could have a terrific exhaust note. Just wish that Mahindra gave the Perak an even more larger heart to distinguish itself from the other Jawas, it now makes only 2 PS and 3 Nm more. Pcch!

Last edited by Zappo : 16th November 2018 at 13:26. Reason: Typos corrected
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 22:48   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Really I thought tubeless are standard now. The one thing I dread about bikes is it will leave me stranded somewhere.
With spokes you need a special alloy rims to be able to fit Tubeless tyres..

Even only the Big 1200 cc Tiger / GS gets these special rims.

Also none of the Royal Enfields gets tubeless till date
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 22:59   #232
BHPian

The way I see it, you would have to be really passionate about Royal Enfield to buy a CL 350 when you could buy a Jawa at the same price. There is no other reason to buy the Classic because the Jawa clearly is the better machine, at least on paper.
You would also have to be crazy to buy a CL 500 when a little more money can get you one of the RE 650 twins.
The RE Classics may live on but their survival will defy logic.
Roy.S is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 23:15   #233
BANNED

Quote:
Tubed tires are considerably easier to live with and reliable on the long run, especially if you travel with luggage and cover considerable distances on broken roads at speed.

Changing the tube is way easier than what people make it to be.

Plus if you're riding intra-city I doubt you'd be carrying your TL repair kit just like you would be carrying an extra tube and spoons, which essentially means you'd be depending on the roadside tyre-wala irrespective of running tubes or tubeless.

Another plus of running on tubes is that with some elbow grease you can hit the road again after a complete flat or bent rims , reason being refilling can be done all the way from 0~30 PSI with just a Rs.150 pump as seating the bead is something you'd not have to deal with on a Tubed tire.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 00:10   #234
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Tubed tires are considerably easier to live with and reliable on the long run, especially if you travel with luggage and cover considerable distances on broken roads at speed.

Changing the tube is way easier than what people make it to be.

Plus if you're riding intra-city I doubt you'd be carrying your TL repair kit just like you would be carrying an extra tube and spoons, which essentially means you'd be depending on the roadside tyre-wala irrespective of running tubes or tubeless.

Another plus of running on tubes is that with some elbow grease you can hit the road again after a complete flat or bent rims , reason being refilling can be done all the way from 0~30 PSI with just a Rs.150 pump as seating the bead is something you'd not have to deal with on a Tubed tire.
Feel 100% the opposite.

1) It is super easy to repair a tubeless tyre puncture. No need to even remove the wheel from the tyre nor loosen any nuts.

2) It is much safer as a tubeless tyre looses pressure slowly vs having a blowout as in the case of a tyre with a tube.

3) No need of a Jack or centre stand which is not available with many bikes.

4) Spokes are desirable only for off-road use alloys can get bent or break in such applications.

5) Tubeless tyres with alloys are stiffer so give a more assured ride.

6) A repair kit is as small as a tube. In both cases you require a tyre pressure pump. In case of tubeless tyre you can fill Air and drive till a professional repair shop. Not so for a tyre with tube.

Last edited by ACM : 16th November 2018 at 00:12.
ACM is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 00:34   #235
BHPian

For me the best part out there in both these bikes have to be undoubtedly the speedometer dials. As if taken straight from Titan and fastrack watches respectively. Really good work on aesthetics department there
Old 16th November 2018, 00:44   #236
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Feel 100% the opposite.
As with all products user experience do tend to vary almost 100% of the time.

Quote:
1) It is super easy to repair a tubeless tyre puncture. No need to even remove the wheel from the tyre nor loosen any nuts.

3) No need of a Jack or centre stand which is not available with many bikes.
Now the assumption you've made here is that the puncture is actually plug'able with the plug thread provided, what if its not?

I know that a good percent of the time a thread or two would do, but I'm also taking into consideration the off chance it doesn't.

At least with a tube the possibilities of makeshift'ing your way out of such a pickle still remains open.

Quote:
6) A repair kit is as small as a tube. In both cases you require a tyre pressure pump. In case of tubeless tyre you can fill Air and drive till a professional repair shop. Not so for a tyre with tube.
For a tire with a tube, you fix it then and there and forget about it.

Less cause for concern and considerably lesser downtime than having to seek professional assistance, which are two key factors if you're riding on a planned route several thousand kilometers away from home and equidistant to the place you hope to be.

Quote:
4) Spokes are desirable only for off-road use alloys can get bent or break in such applications.
No doubt about it, my other motorcycle comes with Alloys and though they've held on pretty well I've heard several experiences of alloys cracking/bending under strenuous use, most of which did happen while touring on Indian highways.

Quote:
5) Tubeless tyres with alloys are stiffer so give a more assured ride.
Though I've ridden considerable miles on both(over 50k km's on Enkei's as well) I'm yet to feel the same way, though I'd take your word for it, as my but-sensor might've gotten desensitized over the years.

Quote:
2) It is much safer as a tubeless tyre looses pressure slowly vs having a blowout as in the case of a tyre with a tube.
I've experienced several punctures while riding but never a blow-out, so can't comment on that.

But Yes, going by logic the statement does make sense.

Personally if its a front wheel then I go light on the bars and engine brake to a halt, if its a rear wheel puncture then I shift my ass onto the tank and go for a stop.

Disclaimer:

The above reply was done with the intention of provoking thought, not claiming one to be superior than the other, just sharing my thoughts and opinions.
ashwinprakas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 01:20   #237
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
650 Twins run tube tyres as well, even though the Pirelli tyres are tubeless capable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Also none of the Royal Enfields gets tubeless till date
With the exception of one - Thunderbird X.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 03:34   #238
Senior - BHPian

What a time to be a motorcyclist in India! The recent launches have all been great and great VFM to top an already eclectic line up. I am head over heel with the Interceptor 650, one of the best sounding bike's in the recent times. So want to get back to Motorcycling again.
extreme_torque is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 07:45   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
What a time to be a motorcyclist in India! The recent launches have all been great and great VFM to top an already eclectic line up. I am head over heel with the Interceptor 650, one of the best sounding bike's in the recent times. So want to get back to Motorcycling again.
Totally agree. I will pick up one each of the Interceptor and the Perak. Too bad not in India now but hope to be back soon.

I was chatting with an ex product manager at M&M 2 wheelers. He says there is going to be a lot of brand building activity by Jawa in the coming weeks. Hopefully they will learn from the poor launch event that was quite boring except for the great motor cycles on display.

Another pt - is this is global launch ? I am sure there would be quite a lot of interested buyers in Europe for the Jawa.

Last edited by narayan : 16th November 2018 at 07:58.
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 09:18   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post

That is true but a tubeless allows me to ride another few kilometres to reach that tyre wala, whereas here you may have to push it the same distance.
Tapish is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks