Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2018, 07:46   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Mahindra seems to have pulled it off in much lesser time and without catching any public attention.

Hopefully that doesn't mean testing has been skipped.
Had asked the same question when the engine was revealed. I am guessing this is heavily based on the Mojo and hence possibly the testing period was faster. Also, the Jawa looks so much like the older one that even if they had tested it without camouflage, I doubt many would have noticed !
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 09:03   #302
Senior - BHPian

I'm incredibly interested in the Jawa, and want to book one. I learnt riding on my Dad's Yezdi and still reminisce about that machine.

But the concerns raised in the previous couple of posts are exactly what I'm worried about.
Mahindra has a dubious track record of carrying out Testing of its products on its initial customers - same as RE. A motorcycle is NOT JUST the engine. The entire weight distribution, chassis dynamics, braking, vibes, torque ranges, suspension are all important - more so than the engine. And, I'm just not sure that Mahindra has put any of these under rigorous tests.

Does anyone have any data or information on what testing these bikes have seen? Please share - it'll help many of us decide.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 10:26   #303
Senior - BHPian

Sounds very good for a BS4 compliant single cylinder ! Thankfully I don't think those local junk exhaust will improve the sound as the motor is high revving Good chance for common man to think its a twin cylinder motor, highrevs + twin exhaust will make them feel so.

I am not against after market exhuast, but the sheer number of these on the road makes life hard everyone including the owners. My ears had slight ringing sound after I rode my stock RX100 for around 100km, can't image what would happen if I had a Bullet with those local pipes.

Last edited by giri1.8 : 19th November 2018 at 10:27.
giri1.8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 11:52   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhavraghav View Post
The pricing of Jawas isn't really a crowd puller. With the juicily priced RE twins it appears to have lost value even further. At this price point I'd expect ABS and FI.
Why you say so?
First of all Jawa is not competing against RE twins as both are for different segments and price point. You can buy two Jawas at the price of one RE twin.
Also which 300CC bike you get for one lac in India?

Secondly, Jawas engine (derived from Mojo) is a tried and tested unit with a known pedigree. And yes its liquid cooled with FI.
Only if company has sorted rest of the cycle parts, it should be a superior product compared to RE 350.

Disclaimer: I own RE (350CI, Himalayan), Jawa and Yezdi and its my neutral view.
Shubhendra is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 12:03   #305
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Sounds very good for a BS4 compliant single cylinder !
It is already BS6 compliant.
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 14:12   #306
Team-BHP Support

Jawa Forty Two, all colours -

Galactic Green -
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-12.jpg

Halley's Teal -
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-1-1.jpg

Lumos Lime -
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-1-2.jpg

Starlight Blue -
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-1-3.jpg

Comet Red -
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-1-4.jpg

Nebula Blue -
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-1-5.jpg

Jawa, all colours -

Jawa Black -
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-1-2.jpg

Jawa Maroon -
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-1-1.jpg

Jawa Grey -
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-1-2.08.55-pm.jpg

Jawa Grey is my personal favourite!

Last edited by Zappo : 19th November 2018 at 15:09. Reason: Images swapped as requested
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 02:17   #307
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.rushlane.com/jawa-will-e...-12288183.html

A very interesting article that well summarizes Java edge over Classic 350.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 04:34   #308
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

All good. But the sound of this engine (judging by the embedded video) is completely gutless as compared to the fabulous iconic sound of the original Jawa and Yezdi motorbikes which were common in the 1970’s, 80’s, 90’s upto to the early 2000’s. Occasionally even in these days, one does see and hear a lovely old Roadking on the roads in Bangalore. Truly an uplifting engine sound!

This new Jawa sounds like any old 4 stroke engine from any manufacturer.

For me, that sound will never stale.

The one thing the Enfield Bullet seems to have got right, is the retention of more or less, the original Bullet Thump.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 20th November 2018 at 04:36.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 04:34   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Jawa Grey -
Attachment 1820195[/center]

Jawa Grey is my personal favourite!
Same here, I had given up 2 wheeler driving since 2012, but now these Jawa bikes may influence me to start driving again.
Old 20th November 2018, 06:15   #310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

A much better article than the previous one which focused only on classic/retro looks. But my quandary is still the same - without a detailed drive based review, how can anyone say Mahindra have a winner on their hands.

It's like a Team-BHP new car review without even getting a car on their hands, and everyone on the thread going **Five Star review** - a winner on the books for sure! That's how I read this current thread and the excitement.

Everyone's hoping Mahindra have done the testing well (as @CrAzY dRiVeR rightly pointed out) and the vehicle actually turns out to be as good as the competition (read:RE).

Quick question - Any clarity if the existing Mahindra dealers would own this brand or completely new set of dealers are going to land the Jawa showrooms? What about service staff training, and the full works?

Disclaimer: I have booked a 42 hoping for the best case scenario
ninjatalli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 08:11   #311
Senior - BHPian

Couple of days ago, I kept getting uncomfortable combo of 300CC & 27 Bhp; felt like 27 Bhp MAY be less for the 300CC. That is when I thought of comparing with CBR 300R as both being single cylinder (Ninja & Benelli being twin)

Despite the lower CR & 7cc less, there cannot be 4 Bhp more for Honda or what am I missing to observe & consider?

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-capture.jpg

Source
Honda - https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/...fications.html
Jawa - https://www.jawamotorcycles.com/moto...a#view-section

Last edited by aargee : 20th November 2018 at 08:15.
Old 20th November 2018, 08:50   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Despite the lower CR & 7cc less, there cannot be 4 Bhp more for Honda or what am I missing to observe & consider?
Power is a function of RPM and Torque. The CBR makes more torque at higher RPM and hence more power. This is good for a sports bike but for a general commuter/cruiser you need more torque at bottom.
The CBR would also have lighter flywheel allowing it to rev more freely to higher RPM.

For example check out Duke 390 which makes only 35 Nm but that is at around 9000 rpm and so the power is 45bhp.
While Bullet 500 makes around 40 Nm of torque but that is at 4000 rpm.

For an extreme example, look at the Triump street lineup. That is a 900cc engine with 80 Nm torque but power is only 55bhp.

Last edited by timuseravan : 20th November 2018 at 08:52.
timuseravan is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 10:02   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Quick question - Any clarity if the existing Mahindra dealers would own this brand or completely new set of dealers are going to land the Jawa showrooms? What about service staff training, and the full works?
Mahindra showroom at Rajajinagar, Bengaluru(Skanda motors) is being revamped as a Jawa dealership. I guess it will be similar exercise elsewhere considering the exisiting dealers would have hardly earned decent returns. Brand new dealerships can be expected in places where Mahindra two wheelers previously had no footprint.
ar134 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 11:34   #314
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
A much better article than the previous one which focused only on classic/retro looks. But my quandary is still the same - without a detailed drive based review, how can anyone say Mahindra have a winner on their hands.

Disclaimer: I have booked a 42 hoping for the best case scenario
No real clarity on the dealers, but the Mahindra 2 wheeler dealers might make most sense or they would feel left out and leave the fold in any case.

Yep 42 would have been my selection as well. Fatter wheels would have made it less classic but even better as a ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
All good. But the sound of this engine (judging by the embedded video) is completely gutless as compared to the fabulous iconic sound of the original Jawa and Yezdi motorbikes which were common in the 1970’s, 80’s, 90’s upto to the early 2000’s. Occasionally even in these days, one does see and hear a lovely old Roadking on the roads in Bangalore. Truly an uplifting engine sound!

This new Jawa sounds like any old 4 stroke engine from any manufacturer.

For me, that sound will never stale.

The one thing the Enfield Bullet seems to have got right, is the retention of more or less, the original Bullet Thump.
Agree to the Sound not meeting expectations, but I would choose no sound or bad sound over vibrations. Sound can be tuned a fair bit or blocked out by earplugs, vibrations can rarely be reduced.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 11:53   #315
BHPian

I booked a Jawa maroon today. My late grand father bought one 50 years back it seems. We still have that one and is cleaned everyday.

Anyone knows when the deliveries start? And any information about dealers in Vijayawada or Andhra Pradesh? I wrote to jawa and am yet to hear from them. Thank you.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks