Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2019, 15:50   #721
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh

Am just wondering what is the USP for Jawa bikes? what is so unique in Jawa that people are queuing to book and wait for years to get delivery? when there are ample of REs available for delivery within 2-3 weeks of booking?

Is it the drawbacks of RE that is making the demand for Jawa OR are there real merits? Or it is just a hype which will die after seeing the real Jawa on the roads?
Old 8th June 2019, 16:14   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Am just wondering what is the USP for Jawa bikes? what is so unique in Jawa that people are queuing to book and wait for years to get delivery? when there are ample of REs available for delivery within 2-3 weeks of booking?

Is it the drawbacks of RE that is making the demand for Jawa OR are there real merits? Or it is just a hype which will die after seeing the real Jawa on the roads?
Jawa as a brand was no longer available in production unlike 'RE which continued in production. So when jawa brand was resurrected, there were enthusiasts who wanted one for themselves. Even in their heyday, 'RE and jawa were two bikes in different weight class. The old jawa was 2 stroke and could not survive the onslaught of Japanese bikes in the 80s and early 90s while RE survived. I think the present demand has nothing to do with 'RE.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2019, 18:21   #723
BHPian

Quote:

For me, 1. I was always interested in an RE, almost bought a Thunderbird in 2013 but all the reported niggles, vibrations and reliability issues kept me away from RE products. Jawa has those classic retro looks and is (hopefully) reliable and less vibey compared to RE.
2. My father used to ride a Jawa in the seventies (Nostalgia).
3. Carries Mojo's engine, which is proven to be bulletproof, and has all the modern day equipment for a classic, viz. ABS, FI etc.

Truth to be told, it's getting little frustrating now, I am eagerly waiting for Suzuki Intruder 250 (which I don't think will be launched anytime soon), and if the Intruder sheds some plastic from its current avatar I will be interested and would rather go for the Intruder 250.
Old 11th June 2019, 09:28   #724
BHPian

Quote:

In 70s, when I was a kid, Bullets (RE) were rode by stout (middle) aged men in upright position (usually in uniforms) & Jawa/Yezdi with a deep growl, were rode by forward crouching younger looking people. No doubt we were attracted to Jawa. There was no comparison between the two. Those days 2-strokes had no restrictions, were considered sportier than 4-strokes.

When I'm old enough to be allowed to own a bike, in 80s, Yezdi was dwindling. A new kid RX100, also a 2-stroke, more reliable, not butter smooth like other 100cc bikes & has solid character came to the market. Went for it. Some people used Yezdi wheels in RX100 (mostly rear only) for solid grip. So Jawa/Yezdi remained a nostalgia.

Today my preference is still a bike with classic seats & character. Somehow I could never get around to own an RE (looks good though). That makes Jawa a first choice.

However I haven't booked it. Preferred to bite after seeing it in roads for at least 3 months. Somehow Mahindra's 2 wheeler business is not in the same league as their UV/SUVs. Hoping to see the Jawas on road soon!

Last edited by viggienomad : 11th June 2019 at 09:31. Reason: Removed an apostrophe
viggienomad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 09:53   #725
Senior - BHPian

First, it is the classic motorcycle shape and flat seat. It looks much better than wannabe-racer shapes.
And then yes it is the lack of options in this segment. What else is there with decent displacement?
The REs (barring the new twins) have abysmal build quality.
And then, the looks. Jawas have always been drop-dead gorgeous.

I hope we see more options in the premium standard bikes space.
Old 11th June 2019, 16:27   #726
Senior - BHPian

But WHERE are the bikes?

Haven't seen one on the road yet.
Old 11th June 2019, 21:14   #727
BHPian

I saw one near the entrance to embassy tech park at ring road in Bangalore. A dark green one. She looked fabulous. I got lucky I guess.

I won't be surprised if the owner is a member here.
Old 11th June 2019, 23:36   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
I saw one near the entrance to embassy tech park. She looked fabulous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Haven't seen one on the road yet.
Got lucky to see this in our parking lot in Manyata Tech Park.

Meanwhile, A friend who had booked the 42 in red expects to get his ride by Aug/Sep.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-20190611_232753.jpg  

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-20190611_232845.jpg  

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-img20190606wa0025.jpg  

uday.ere is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 09:19   #729
Senior - BHPian

@ ar134

Many of us didn't feel same way as you do. The way Jawa has been posting on social media has made many question their communication methods, even monthly dispatch numbers haven't been shared by Jawa to SIAM.

We all are excited to see production version of Jawa bikes & wholeheartedly look forward to ownership review, photos by a BHPian.

On forum, most prefer open & unbiased views. We post on forum to help each other. While a WhatsApp group is fine for a specific purpose, it's somewhat opposite of forum like Team-BHP.

Last edited by GTO : 12th June 2019 at 11:04. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been deleted
sukiwa is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 10:22   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Many of us didn't feel same way as you do. The way Jawa has been posting on social media has made many question their communication methods, even monthly dispatch numbers haven't been shared by Jawa to SIAM.

We all are excited to see production version of Jawa bikes & wholeheartedly look forward to ownership review, photos by a BHPian.

On forum, most prefer open & unbiased views.
It is indeed good for a forum like ours to witness divergent views. Just because my opinion differs from that of the majority does not mean I am wrong or I am part of Mahindra's paid social media brigade !

I have stated earlier as well that ownership review of my bike is a little off the radar (at least for now) due to personal constraints.

On one hand we expect open and unbiased views while on the other we mock people who seem to be luckier and a little more well-informed compared to the rest of the members.I am very
sure that I am not the first person who has talked about Whatsapp groups for owners of a particular bike or car on this forum and I will not even touch upon the pros and cons of the same.

Not sure who loses more - the forum as a whole or the individual concerned.

Note to TBHP support: I have some issue uploading the pics with the following log :

Error 503 Backend fetch failed
Backend fetch failed

Guru Meditation:
XID: 551628334

Varnish cache server.

Once it is resolved by Team-BHP support, I shall do the needful.

Last edited by ar134 : 12th June 2019 at 10:25.
ar134 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 10:40   #731
BHPian

@ ar134

I really don't wish to take this thread off-topic but just a small observation. I never intend to buy the Jawa but I have been following this thread with great interest as I want the bike to do well. We need a credible alternative to the RE 350s and 500s.

I'm sure you would agree that the delivery situation with Classic Legends has been dire. And all that fake-delivery threads on social media hasn't helped at all. It would have added immense credibility and given comfort to potentially thousands of Jawa customers if a BHPian had posted details of delivery and initial ownership experience here. Now that you have gone through a service as well, some insight into how that was carried out would be extremely useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar134
It is indeed good for a forum like ours to witness have divergent views. On one hand we expect open and unbiased views while on the other we mock people who seem to be luckier and a little more well-informed compared to the rest of the members.

Not sure who loses more - the forum as a whole or the individual concerned.
Yes and that's why this place is brilliant. However you are in the unique position of actually having this bike in your hand and riding it. Thousands of BHPians take the time and effort to post tons of useful information about their machines. That's why this forum is what it is. You are in the unique position to do so for the most anticipated motorcycle of the year and giving factual data to the skeptics. I wish I was in this position

Last edited by GTO : 12th June 2019 at 11:05. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been deleted
ranjitnair77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 11:04   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post

I'm sure you would agree that the delivery situation with Classic Legends has been dire. And all that fake-delivery threads on social media hasn't helped at all. It would have added immense credibility and given comfort to potentially thousands of Jawa customers if a BHPian had posted details of delivery and initial ownership experience here. Now that you have gone through a service as well, some insight into how that was carried out would be extremely useful.
Agree with the delivery mismanagement part and maybe even the social media threads (i haven't read them myself yet) but strongly feel it is not just unethical but borders on being insensitive to fellow members when I am accused of being part of that very fake delivery brigade ! That is my sole point for which I had to take time off this thread.

Delivery experience at Synergy was nothing exceptional but the service experience at another dealer (Skanda motors) has more than compensated for the lack of it. They have a dedicated bay of 5 slots for new jawas with dedicated lounge for customers from where the entire service bay can be viewed. Mileage before service (checked using Fuelio app) was 25 and 28.9 kmpl before first service.

Synthetic oil (Castrol- 1.25 LTR) replaced along with oil filter , issues of neutral slotting resolved and mirrors replaced under warranty as one of them had developed a black mark (maybe since delivery - I didn't do a thorough PDI). Other minor jobs included polishing to remove a few minor scratches on the tank and applying lubricant to the chain. Total bill was 1823 and it was supposedly a free service.
ar134 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 12:47   #733
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar134 View Post
I have stated earlier as well that ownership review of my bike is a little off the radar (at least for now) due to personal constraints.
Congrats on the ownership. This thread can be used as the master thread for all minor updates till the time you are able to pen down an ownership thread.

Quote:
I am not the first person who has talked about Whatsapp groups for owners of a particular bike or car on this forum and I will not even touch upon the pros and cons of the same. Not sure who loses more - the forum as a whole or the individual concerned.
Information on a WhatsApp group helps a few members for a couple of days. Information on the forum helps thousands of members, owners, prospective buyers and guests for months and even years. Have a doubt? Just check the viewership for this particular thread.

Quote:
They have a dedicated bay of 5 slots for new jawas with dedicated lounge for customers from where the entire service bay can be viewed.
Have a doubt here since you said "dedicated bay for new Jawas". Does this mean the service center accepts other bikes (Other brands or old Jawa bikes) as well?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th June 2019 at 12:52.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 12:56   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
This thread can be used as the master thread for all minor updates till the time you are able to pen down an ownership thread.

Information on a WhatsApp group helps a few members for a couple of days. Information on the forum helps thousands of members, owners, prospective buyers and guests for months and even years.

Have a doubt here since you said "dedicated bay for new Jawas". Does this mean the service center accepts other bikes (Other brands or old Jawa bikes) as well?
Agree I have no issues with regard to maintaining this thread for all minor updates and related queries, this has been my stance even before I took delivery. As a matter of fact , I have responded (it is my duty, not doing a favour by any stretch of imagination!) to answer satisfactorily every query even when I was mocked and called names.

I have no second thoughts with regard to utility of a thread like this in comparison to a WhatsApp group. However it wont be a fair idea to block or discourage people from posting WhatsApp group details which may serve a different purpose even for non-members of Team-BHP.

There were atleast 10 Mojos and a few other Mahindra bikes parked in the other corner of the service station and I didn't check out further details. Skanda is an old Mahindra dealer and from what I understand has earmarked a new extended, renovated area with customer lounge with A/C, TV etc for Jawa service exclusively and the entrance is different even though other Mahindra bikes service centre too is presumably on the same complex.

Last edited by ar134 : 12th June 2019 at 13:17.
Old 13th June 2019, 01:19   #735
Team-BHP Support

Spotted my first Jawa today in the office parking today. Had a closer look without touching the motorcycle -
  • Looks simple and beautiful.
  • It is quite smaller than I expected. Should be easy to ride.
  • I am not a fan of matte finish paint jobs, so didn't check the quality levels. Will wait to see a proper colour, hopefully the blue next!
  • However, the rider's view left a bit of an underwhelming impression wrt quality. Still early days for the brand, so hopefully these minor things can be ironed out soon enough.

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-img_20190612_185200_2400.jpg

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-img_20190612_185222_2400.jpg

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-img_20190612_185413.jpg

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-img_20190612_185433_2400.jpg

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-img_20190612_185501_2400.jpg

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-img_20190612_185511_2400.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Got lucky to see this in our parking lot in Manyata Tech Park.
Same campus, but different bike (& office building) I believe. The pillion grab rail is a differentiator.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 13th June 2019 at 01:25.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks