Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2016, 18:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Ducati planning to open production facility in India

According to recent media reports, Italian motorcycle manufacturer - Ducati Motor, is planning to set up a production facility in India. Currently, the automaker is in search for 100 acres of land in Greater Noida, UP, for the said facility. This will be the company's first manufacturing plant in the country. Local production or assembly will ensure more competitive price tags for Ducati bikes in India.

According to reports, Ducati recently met with the Greater Noida Industrial Development Authority (GNIDA) to talk about its land requirements. The authority officials have provided the rate list and land availability details, and have asked the company to submit an official proposal within this month. Representatives from the Italian automaker will soon be visiting the area to have a look at the available land.

Ducati India's current portfolio includes the Scrambler, Monster, Hypermotard, Multistrada, Diavel and the Panigale.

Source: Times of India
dZired is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 19:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Ducati planning to open production facility in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
automaker is in search for 100 acres of land in Greater Noida, UP, for the said facility
What an idiot, still refusing to learn from mistakes!! Right now AP followed by GJ are hotspots to setup manufacturing business.

Last edited by GTO : 15th November 2016 at 11:20. Reason: Typo
Old 14th November 2016, 19:53   #3
BHPian

If this translates to prices coming down then surely its great news.

i.e. if they don't setup for exports only.
Old 14th November 2016, 20:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
What an idiot, still refusing to learn from mistakes!! Right now AP followed by GJ are hotspots to setup manufacturing business.
I would refrain to stick out a blanket statement like that. Right now, there is a fair bit of competition between states - not only for one-upmanship, but also for sheer revenue. So, you never know if they got a stellar deal from the UP Govt., even though the state has a poor record in just about everything!

On the topic though - I'll be more keen to find out if this means the prices will go down significantly? The locally assembled HD Iron, for e.g., is no cheaper than the CBU Scrambler, even though their international prices are in the same ball park. As a customer, I really don't care if the product is assembled or imported, as long as it is competitively priced and easily serviced.

Moreover, I think this news is very up in the air type of news for now.

Last edited by GTO : 15th November 2016 at 11:20. Reason: Quoted post edited
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 21:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hmm... so they should overlook the well established vendor base for ancillary, logistics, import cargo, packaging etc catering to the existing two wheeler industry in the region. What with Yamaha, Hero, Honda, Suzuki, HD, Bajaj & TVS too (IIRC) already up and running since eons complete with with easy availability of trained people to pick from and suppliers that are already attuned to the industry.

Moreover, the NCR being the top market for these absurdly priced luxury rides, it helps them save on finished goods transportation too. One has to understand that when I say NCR & top Market in the same breath I do not mean just New Dilli, Gurgaon, Faridabad & Noida alone. The luxury ride showrooms in this region have clientele base spread as far out as Punjab, Rajasthan, MP, Chattisgarh, Jharkhand, Bihar & even Orissa.

The proximity of the BIC also could be a small attraction, what with the ease of using it as a testing facility or for hosting events such as track days etc.

AP & GJ have their own attractions and benefits but then the industries that they may be more in line with are/could be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
What an idiots, still refusing to learn from mistakes!! Right now AP followed by GJ are hotspots to setup manufacturing business.

Last edited by khoj : 14th November 2016 at 21:20.
khoj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 00:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

As an automotive enthusiast, all I care about is the price and affordability (apart from the product itself). Ducati being a fairly premium player (typically, their products are generally priced at somewhat of a premium vis a vis competition, across the globe), I am concerned that they may not actually pass on the benefit to the customer, and instead make the operation more lucrative for themselves. Let's see.

Last edited by GTO : 15th November 2016 at 11:24. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 11:30   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

A noob in bikes, so not understanding why a separate facility is needed for Ducati?

Ducati is owned by the VW Group which has phenomenal excess capacity in Chakan & Aurangabad (VW & Skoda sales are nothing to write home about). Even if a separate child factory is required, it can easily be made in Chakan. Considering that big bike sales will anyway be in low numbers, why not save money & assemble the bikes at the existing facility?

If Audi can assemble far more complex premium sedans & SUVs at VAG's present factories, I'm sure it'll be a walk in the park to set up a unit for Ducati.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 12:20   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys,

A noob in bikes, so not understanding why a separate facility is needed for Ducati?

Ducati is owned by the VW Group which has phenomenal excess capacity in Chakan & Aurangabad (VW & Skoda sales are nothing to write home about). Even if a separate child factory is required, it can easily be made in Chakan. Considering that big bike sales will anyway be in low numbers, why not save money & assemble the bikes at the existing facility?

If Audi can assemble far more complex premium sedans & SUVs at VAG's present factories, I'm sure it'll be a walk in the park to set up a unit for Ducati.
+1. I too was wondering why go all the way to buy land set it up, paperwork, what not. Too many hassles and longer lead times. With existing they can get it done at a lower cost and faster times. Will surely help in pricing the very competitively (that is only if they intend to). Get more 600cc segment bikes and see it sell in pretty decent numbers to recover the investment. Multistrada 650 cc with all the usual Ducati gizmos would be very good
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 12:35   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
+1. I too was wondering why go all the way to buy land set it up, paperwork, what not.

Get more 600cc segment bikes and see it sell in pretty decent numbers to recover the investment.
I can only think of one reason - the Scrambler Sixty2.

The CBU Scrambler is currently priced at 8.56L on road Bangalore. This is the 803cc bike which is imported as a CBU unit into the country. I suspect they are looking at increased localisation, aggressive pricing and increased volumes for the 399cc Sixty2 - perhaps something around 5L?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th November 2016 at 12:37.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 00:48   #10
BHPian

This points to Ducati playing the 'Value for Money' card with increased volumes and affordable pricing.
The Ducati brand has immense aspirational value and if priced similar to its Japanese rivals, it will still sell pretty well
aamateen46 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed