Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2018, 11:24   #16
BHPian

Re: Hero introduces Lectro: Electric pedal-assisted cycle range

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
https://herocycles.com/leisure/epac/lectro
The hero cycles site mentions the price at Rs.45,000 range. They have one model for Rs.27,000 too.
Here is the exact model Lectro Renew and it quotes 89k

Don't know how authentic are the prices int his site.

https://www.choosemybicycle.com/en/b...tro-renew-2017
Old 27th September 2018, 12:26   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post

I am planning some long distance bikepacking trips. Hopefully, I will have something fun to report in coming months.
I had a Hero Electric scooter earlier with a Hub motor. The trouble with the wheel embedded hub motor is that if you have a tyre puncture, the local puncture repair folks won't remove the tyre. I had to get the Hero electric service person home to get it fixed.

I suspect the same problem in this cycle too. How would you fix a puncture in this?
Old 27th September 2018, 13:39   #18
BANNED

Bicycle in pic has rear derailleur but it only has 1 gear on rear, why so?

such kit are very available on aliexpress. bfang provide mid mounted motor kit.
Old 30th September 2018, 00:07   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
The listed price says Rs 88,900
Is that correct?
Yes, it is available now at this price only. May be your dealer would throw in few bells and whistles for no added cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
Put in a travelogue later, but now that you have spent some time with it, could you post a small ownership report about costs involved, maintenance, battery cycle, tyre life, mods etc.

Upgraded tyres?
There is actually no day to day cost. Just one fixed cost upfront. Ya, something like phone. Then you just charge it like your mobile every fews days when you run out of charge.

The charger is 2 volts and takes around 4-5 hours to charge it to full. I rode it around 2800 km in 10 months. No maintenance.

Battery cycle - it is same as day one till now. It's a Panasonic. They say it lasts around 3 years. So time will tell.

Tyre life - should be around 10k kms.

Mods:
1. Brooks saddle- flying

2. Extra Rechargeable lights front and rear

3. Topeak mobile holder

4. Rear rack and saddle bag

5. Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Is the bike pedal assist only? Or can it ride on its own?
What is the range for a full charge?
Only peddle assist mode in this bike. No throttle of any kind. Technically, they call these EPAC (electric peddle assit cycle). You need to experience an ebike/epac. It is quiet different from gasoline powered vehicles. It has various levels of peddle assists and a crazy software to manage it. It gives a feel of cycle, but also assisting at same time. It has 6 options

0. No assist - pure cycling

Level 1. Variable assist of 150 watts upto 12 km per hour that gradually decreases till 14 km per hour. After 14 kmph, no assist.

Level 2. Assist till 16 km that gradually decreases till it stops at 18 kmph

3. About 300 watts of assist till 18 km gradually decreases till it (the assist, not the bike) stops at 20.

Most of the times, I stay in these 3 levels, depending on inclines, wind speed, traffic conditions, my mood, etc.

Level 4 and 5 are power modes where the bike has lot of power and you can actually enjoy the quick acceleration in smaller gears or cruise comfortably at speeds upto 25 km per hour in higher gears.

Level 5, the assist gradually starts decreasing at 23 km per hour and stops at 25 kmph.

According to Indian laws, that's the max speed for non registered cycles. We follow EU standards. US laws allow higher speeds.

I have heard that one can hack it too. But I am happy with the speed limit. In fact, my family is more happy about this fact.

On a decline, i have experienced speeds upto 45 kms per hour. On a flyover.

I have not taken it up to hills, where you can attains speeds crazy speeds. The recents rains in HP were a big detterent for me to travel. I will post the results, in case I do it.

The hydraulic brakes (tektro) are quite effective. And one can upgrade to expensive MTB components in case there is a need. Till now, I have not faced such situation.

I have actually stopped riding my bullet 500 classic. About an hour into ride, I start to miss my cycle. 'Cause their is no leg movement. I feel cramped sitting and doing nothing. And these days, even RE Bullets are not really bullets. You cannot really cruise at 40 kmph like the (real) classic like old times. And now, my body has got addicted to cycling.

The sound of Bullet is still to die for, though. So I start it in my drive and let it idle for 10 minutes. The smoke drives away all the mosquitos. So my Bullet is serving new purposes these day
1. Adrenal enhancing sound box
2. Powerful mosquito repellant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Still compatable to the entry level iPhones of 2018!

That bike with its fat tyres is an attention-grabber for sure!

Here's a review I just noticed -
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=x8wWnTPrIqQ
What can I say now. The dude himself is apologetic. In case I have to advice, this would not be review, I would want to see. It is more of a paid advertising, IMHO. It's a good start though.

These days, even basic cycling is a lot more advanced. Specifically, last 5 years. Loads of technology, and in almost every field.

So that guy reviewing the bike is unfit to do so at so many levels. Even the facts are incorrect! May be, he did not read brochure too. May be, even Hero does not have a brochure. I have not seen one with all specs.

So am I. Still learning stuff. And from youngsters who actually ride this stuff.

And yes, even hero does not provide you with an owner's manual. Even an e -manual. May be it was in chinese and they never bothered to translate. There are so many cryptic options in the settings, which I don't understand. Any body from Hero here. And listening.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Here is the exact model Lectro Renew and it quotes 89k

Don't know how authentic are the prices int his site.

https://www.choosemybicycle.com/en/b...tro-renew-2017
Yes, that's the price as of now
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkollar View Post
I had a Hero Electric scooter earlier with a Hub motor. The trouble with the wheel embedded hub motor is that if you have a tyre puncture, the local puncture repair folks won't remove the tyre. I had to get the Hero electric service person home to get it fixed.

I suspect the same problem in this cycle too. How would you fix a puncture in this?
Well, i will not compare this to a scooter. The tyres are bigger than a Bullet. The height of tyres is 30". That's as high as BFG's in my gypsy. And the width is 4.5 inch. You park it next to any motorcycle, and then compare yourself.

The rear tyre needs two screws to be taken apart. Takes around 5 minutes to take the wheel off. I had it taken off for cleaning purposes only.

The front has a quick release, so it just comes off in seconds without any tool.

The tyres are hard compound off-road tyres that can go from 5 to 30 psi depending on surface. I have not had a puncture yet. And yes, the tyre does not behave like a cycle tyre where it looses pressure every few days. Once a month air pressure check is fine.

My tyres are OE. Tubed. I will be thinking of upgrades after 10000 kms. Maxix maybe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoel99 View Post
Bicycle in pic has rear derailleur but it only has 1 gear on rear, why so?

such kit are very available on aliexpress. bfang provide mid mounted motor kit.
The rear has 8 gears. It's 32-11 cassette. Shimano Altius 7 speed shifter. (I am not using 11t, as of now, if you know what I mean).

The front is fixed 48 teeth. I am thinking of mods here. May be 32 t. For the mountains.

Yes, the kits are available online. This cycle has Bafang kit. So you can actually build it, if you want. Or order the whole cycle from china. And actually save some money. In fact, most of the cycles sold here, even by Indian brands are made in China. This cycle is assembled in Sri Lanka. May be import duties are less for Sri Lanka than from directly importing from China.

Make in India should be Stamped in India.

I am sure Hero makes some margin here. As they do on so many brands, including Firefox. I opted for this route, as I had no idea about this stuff about a year back. I had 25 years of cycling hiatus.

And the whole nomenclature had changed. Groupsets, cassettes, derailers, etc. And I got damn confused when purchasing,where to start. I was actually looking for a BSA Mach1. They don't make big frame BSA Mach these days. Now it is small mach city. Since I grew on fixed gear big frame cycles, it was hard for me to settle for a small frame with 26 inchers.

I am 90 kg and 6 feet. Last when I rode cycle, I was same height but 30 kg less. And a lot fitter.

So purchased the bike which made me really happy. The first ride on this, I was totally sold. It gradually got me a lot fitter now. I lost 5 kgs in 10 months. And yesterday, i did my first 100 km ride.

Chandigarh to Ambala, in a day. And I still had half a battery to spare at end of the ride. And I did last 12 km on my friend's Trek Mtb. And gave mine to him, as he was bit tired.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 2nd October 2018 at 10:26. Reason: line spacing edited
wanderhermit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 17:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Rode this today - very impressed with it as a practical city commuter!

Hero introduces Lectro: Electric pedal-assisted cycle range-20181029-15.56.41.jpg
Old 8th July 2020, 01:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
Battery cycle - it is same as day one till now. It's a Panasonic. They say it lasts around 3 years. So time will tell.

Tyre life - should be around 10k kms.
Hows the battery and tyres holding up? Are you still using it? I'm thinking of buying an e bike, but this particular model doesnt seem to be on Hero's website any longer. Any idea if they're discontinuing this model?
Old 11th May 2022, 23:16   #22
BHPian

Tyres = original tyres are total off road tyres. I have changed the rear tyre. Ralson strong boy. Very good tyre for this cycle. I have ordered another tyre for the front

Battery is still going good. After years it may have lost some of it juice. But it is still enough for me. I charge cycle after 3 days.

I have ridden about 8300 kms.

My Honda CRV AT petrol costs me around 20km a rupee.

So in a way, i hv recovered the cost of cycle.

Ya, they have discontinued the model. So spares may be a problem. The company sold last few at discount. I have bought a couple in case I may need spare.

Ebikes with fat tyres are ��

Last edited by wanderhermit : 11th May 2022 at 23:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks