Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2016, 11:20   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)

When Yamaha R-15 was released I was so sad, it seemed as if the bike was perfect for those who were 5'9 and thereabouts.

but now here is Bajaj with a bike that is 180kg and can be considered by heavier people's who need something bit more substantial to give a good riding position. I think this should have been launched a few years back before the demonitisation shocker and it would have had tremendous sales.

many people are going to be very tempted by this for sure. It is the best stepping bike, before folks decide to go for superbikes.
Old 17th December 2016, 11:33   #92
BHPian

Re: Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
"With great power comes great responibility" -
How stupid it is then to show Street Racing and Speeding in Parking Lots and Ripping up Parking Ramps!!! Responsibility!!!! That must be a joke.

Last edited by Torqy : 17th December 2016 at 11:35.
Torqy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2016, 12:13   #93
BHPian

I like the fact that it's heavy and thus 'should' feel more planted. Frankly I'm tempted enough to go for a test drive and trade my Electra. Looks like a nice intermediate option before I can gather the moolah for one of the big boys. The cost advantage of this 'experiment' is very enticing. Had this been priced in the whereabouts of 2 odd lakhs I wouldn't have given it a thought.

Since the initial lot of pulsars had a lot of issues, is anyone aware if it's still the same state of affairs at Bajaj?

And well, at least the CC to weight ratio looks healthy enough. Wouldn't go by the torque/power figures alone since they can be misleading in terms of how quick a vehicle 'feels'. Only a proper test drive will resolve this matter.
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2016, 12:31   #94
BHPian

RE is RE. No offense to anyone but currently there are hardly any bikes in the sub 2L range which can match the cruising of RE. I own a 350 CC classic. The way it munches miles is just awesome and the Thump!, its just so orgasmic and meditative at the same time. RE is like a good wife which will reciprocate your love and care while all these new bikes are like flings, which will come and go. Only RE will remain.
StallionAmit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2016, 12:56   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
I like the fact that it's heavy and thus 'should' feel more planted.

Frankly I'm tempted enough to go for a test drive and trade my Electra.
Coming from a RE owner this time.

Like I said before some amount of RE market will surely be effected by the Dominar.

As a RE owner it'll be interesting to know your test ride experience. Do post it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Since the initial lot of pulsars had a lot of issues, is anyone aware if it's still the same state of affairs at Bajaj?

A lot has improved on the Bajaj front. Havent heard any significant negative about the recent Bajaj launches.

Also the 373 cc mill is sort of tried and tested on the KTMs

Last edited by payeng : 17th December 2016 at 13:09.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2016, 13:38   #96
BHPian

Any idea about the seat height?

I checked most of the sites, but it's not mentioned anywhere. I would like to trade in my ZMA R for this one. Just wanna know if it would be comfortable for a 5 ft 6 inch guy like me.
Old 17th December 2016, 13:49   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajpv87 View Post
I would like to trade in my ZMA R for this one. Just wanna know if it would be comfortable for a 5 ft 6 inch guy like me.
Please don't, unless you do a test ride upto your satisfaction.

I owned karizma R and karizma ZMR for almost 4 years over a span of 80,000 km. They are wonderful machines, Imo the best cruisers in their price range.

I sold zmr for a 200NS. The increased performance and stuff had me happy for a couple of months. But i started missing the comfort and the almost negligible wind blast of the karizmas.

Dominar is definitely going to be comfortable, but wind blast is one thing we all overlook. And when coming from a karizma, it feels terrible to experience wind blast.

I would suggest you to test ride the Dominar and discuss possibilities of having a custom windscreen. Else the perfect upgrade for a karizma user(fan ) will be the CBR250R. If you want more ponies for your monies, go get the rc390. There is an argument that rc390 is uncomfortable, but i think it is upto the rider. CBR250R felt uncomfortable for most of my friends, but i felt at home, i would say it is one of the most comfortable cruisers around.

So don't believe what we say, hop on the saddle of dominar and feel it.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 17th December 2016 at 13:53.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2016, 15:08   #98
BHPian

Came across this video of a KTM RC200 chasing what looks like a Dominar:
sanjaykk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2016, 15:18   #99
BHPian

Just inquired at sai service Andheri. Test rides would start only after 6-7 days due to some issues with registering the test ride bike.

And i would trade my thunderbird 500 in a jiffy. Far too fed up. Will wait though till the new D390 launches.
farhadtarapore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2016, 15:59   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
I would trade my thunderbird 500 in a jiffy. Far too fed up. Will wait though till the new D390 launches.
There... another example for those who were of the opinion that the Dominar would have NO effect on RE customer Base.

Not everyone is blinded by the "thump"
payeng is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th December 2016, 17:21   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
There... another example for those who were of the opinion that the Dominar would have NO effect on RE customer Base.

Absolutely, People who have owned RE and now can very maturely look beyond all the intangibles, are the low hanging fruit Bajaj is actually targeting. If anyone thought that a first time RE buyer is the main target for Dominar 400 then they are mistaken, that poor soul is enchantingly mesmerized by the Medusa and would turn to rock before he realized what he has got himself into.

Having said that, would then these people sell their RE to buy the Dominar or would they still keep it for its intangibles and do an experimental purchase with the Dominar is what remains to be seen.
I have many friends who have kept their RE and D390 together in their garages.
cheers!
Old 17th December 2016, 19:44   #102
BHPian

Since there are few posts on RE and Dominar, I thought I would share what I feel about Dominar having owned an RE (still own) for more than a decade. Today I walked in a bajaj showroom to check it out. There was none on display and showroom folks had no idea when it would be available (Khivraj bajaj, IndiraNagar). Why did I land up there? It was more impromptu decision.

Will I buy one? Most probably if it impresses me as long range cruiser. Don't want a city race bike. Have had enough vibrational massage from my beloved RE.

Will I sell my RE? I Guess not. The thump although mesmerizing, cannot be the only thing. World has moved on, and RE although improving has lot of road to cover. I will probably sell off my Hero hunk which I bought for purely city commute.

Do I sound confused!
ambujlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2016, 20:05   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post

I ride a 390 Dook myself. I started out on an RE Thunderbird, then traded up to the then-new RE Thunderbird 500. All it really did was make my life miserable for a few years

Finally, I got fed up and switched to a Dook and never looked back.

Nearly everyone I personally know who rides a KTM 390 used to ride an Enfield, and I mean they were among the most absolute die-hard Bullet-riders too. The fact that the KTM is all plasticky and sounds like an autorickshaw, did not deter them one bit.

Royal Enfield is playing a dangerous game of denial if they think their customers will still remain so loyal even in the face of KTMs, Triumphs, Harleys and now the Dominar. Ten plus years ago, if you wanted a proper motorcycle for riding pleasure, you really had no choice other than a Bullet, unless you were wealthy enough to import a superbike.

Things have changed. We have actual choices now. And the Dominar is one more tempting option on a list that keeps growing.
marcussantiago is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2016, 20:46   #104

Here is a quick video overview of the bike along with showing the design elements of the bike, Walk round and to end it all, the Exhaust note. Video by Velocigear Youtube Channel.

Source : Velocigear
rageraver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2016, 20:55   #105
BHPian

My 2 cents on the Enfield vs Dominar debate. Enfield is currently the most popular tourer(?) under 2 lakhs. So if someone is in the market for a tourer under 2 lakhs, he/she has no other options. Many do not even consider Mojo because Mahindra motorcycles do not have the brand pull like an Enfield or Bajaj (debatable). Many of those who buy Enfield are forced to buy for the love of long distance motorcycling. Dominar is for such people who buys Enfield because there is nothing else. A close friend of mine owns an Enfield because there was nothing else that was comfortable over long distance and has enough power to carry two and their luggage, under 2 lakhs. He does not otherwise like Enfield as a tourer.

I personally love the looks of Enfield but does not like to ride it cross country. Enfield 350 and 500 engines are probably the most unrefined engines on a production motrcycle in the world now. It defeats the whole purpose of Enfield being a tourer. The comfort of the seating position is countered by the vibrations of the engine and the horrendous handling. I have not ridden Dominar, but if it is atleast as refined as Duke 390, then its better than Enfield. No offence to anyone, I love Enfield as a classic motorcycle and I admire the company for making it the most affordable classic bike. But it is no tourer.
deerhunter is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks