Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2018, 13:35   #121
BHPian

Re: My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 1 year completed & long term ownership summariz

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post
There is a dedicated thread regarding a good diagnosis done by a4anurag on his Activa for cold start and idling issues.

Probably its good to have it checked for Access as well.

Link
I have the new BS4 Access (10k kms) for more than a year and it has never shown cold start or idling troubles. In fact, even in relatively cooler temperatures of Nov-Dec-Jan, it kick-started in the 2nd attempt.

Last edited by Crankpin : 10th May 2018 at 13:39.
Old 22nd May 2018, 12:43   #122
BHPian

Re: My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 1 year completed & long term ownership summariz

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
My Milky Bar was subtly hinting me that it is not happy and I must take it for servicing. Few indications:
1. Self-start taking long time even with choke in mornings.
2. Took more kicks in morning (3-4 kicks) to start and at times switching off after starting

Scooter after servicing
I will not comment on whether starting issues are solved or not. I've not ridden it much and mostly used my car in last 10-15 days. I will update this post after riding it for a week.
I had reserved my comments on whether starting issues are resolved after servicing or not.

After riding for a month and 1 fuel-tank, I have an update- the scooter starting issues have not recurred.
I am able to start the scooter in 1-2 kicks in morning and the electrical start is also working fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
As I read your post quickly, I could not find what they have done to solve the starting issue. May be just cleaned the spark plugs! Please let us know if it gets solved and possible solution for it if you can find.
The technicians had told that they'd cleaned the spark plug.

My takeaway is that I should complete the servicing by 3K KMs/3Months as delays impact the performance.
Old 22nd May 2018, 14:36   #123
BHPian

Quote:
I had reserved my comments on whether starting issues are resolved after servicing or not.

After riding for a month and 1 fuel-tank, I have an update- the scooter starting issues have not recurred.
I am able to start the scooter in 1-2 kicks in morning and the electrical start is also working fine.
I am regaining the confidence to switch off my scooter while waiting at small signals with confidence that scooter will start.

The technicians had told that they'd cleaned the spark plug.

My takeaway is that if I get servicing done within the threshold for service intervals of 3K KMs or 3Months, scooter will remain perfectly fine. Any delayed servicing that this interval impacts the performance and upkeep of the scooter.

Any idea what the specs of the spark plug are? Could you share any pics? My scooter took 3-4 kicks the other day to come to life but the starter cranks the engine in one go! So probably it could be the spark plug.
Guess it's time for a service!
Old 22nd May 2018, 15:21   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
Any idea what the specs of the spark plug are? Could you share any pics? My scooter took 3-4 kicks the other day to come to life but the starter cranks the engine in one go! So probably it could be the spark plug.
Guess it's time for a service!
I am quoting from Owner's Manual
Plug replacement guide:

Part Number is NGK MR7E-9

Part Specification
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-plug-replacement-guide.jpg

Gap in Spark Plug should be 0.8-0.9mm
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-spark-plug-distance.jpg

Installation Instructions
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-installation.jpg

Note
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-note1.jpg

Last edited by daretodream : 22nd May 2018 at 15:25.
daretodream is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 15:27   #125
BHPian

Oh, Thanks! Didn't realise I too have an owners manual!
So do you feel any difference post installation of a new plug?
Old 22nd May 2018, 15:55   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Oh, Thanks! Didn't realise I too have an owners manual!
So do you feel any difference post installation of a new plug?
I have not changed the plug. The old plug was cleaned up and fitted back and is doing good for now.
Old 15th August 2018, 16:45   #127
BHPian

7th Service Completed (3rd Paid Service)
Date: 14th August
Odo: 10690 Kms

Service Appointment Booking Experience
The recommend service due date was 5 Jul 2018. We were blessed with a baby girl, I could not complete the servicing on time.

I just walked-in(drove to) Advaith Automation on 14th Aug at around 9:20AM. I had not taken service appointment. When I reached, I was attended right away and I was 31st in queue. I told them that I am willing to wait and hence prioritize my scooter servicing. They obliged and gave ETA of 11:45AM (against earlier ETA of 5PM).

Issues in Scooter

Last 2 months had been torturous on My Milky Bar as the rains and traffic conditions were the worst. Few indications:
1. Self-start: This became the one and only pain area. Scooter was absolutely unpredictable on this front. Sometimes it will start in 2 cranks and sometimes it would not even crank. So much that in last 1.5 months either I kept the engine idling at signals(for <60 secs) or switched off the ignition, got the scooter on main stand to kick start as required.

I also figured out why I faced this starting issue: Almost everyday I rode in the rain. I've got a indicator buzzer in my scooter and one day after coming to parking I realized that even when I've locked the scooter and taken out key, the buzzer is still sounding in a low volume. I understood it is because of water seeping into the switch or to the buzzer. I left it as is. I noticed this phenomenon every time I came after riding in rain. So, basically, the buzzer had drained out most of the battery.

2. I categorically asked to replace air-filter and spark plug
3. Squeaks from rear brakes

Requests Given:
1. Replace Spark Plug
2. Replace Air Filter
3. Check self-starting motor and battery
4. Check rear drum brake as it was squeaking when I applied brake at slow speeds.

Service adviser suggested to go for Waxing for Rs 200 and I denied.

Actuals :
  1. Engine Oil changed
  2. Air Filter changed
  3. Spark Plug changed
  4. Drive system (CVT) cleaned up
  5. Drum Brake and shoe cleaned up and play in the lever adjusted
  6. Gear Box Oil topped up

Service Bill Copy:
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-service-bill.jpg

Old Air Filter
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-airfilter.jpg

Old Spark Plug
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-spark-plug.jpg

Scooter Pics
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-scooter-front.jpg

My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-scooter-back.jpg

Scooter after servicing
The mechanic and Service Advisor informed me taht battery is low on charge and hence self-start is not working. They advised to leave the scooter for overnight charging of battery. I denied. I said I will figure out an option near to my home.
Brake squealing is gone.
The air pressure was also very low:
Front Tyre: 14 against advised 22
Rear Tyre: 17 against advised 26

As always, scooter is peppy and doing great.
I am glad I found what is the issue for Kick Start not working: low battery because the buzzer keeps buzzing after ride in rain.
I have to get the battery charged and more importantly, I have to find a solve for Buzzer to stop buzzing after switching off the scooter.

Service Summary
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-access-servicing-since-bought.jpg
daretodream is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 18:27   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am glad I found what is the issue for Kick Start not working: low battery because the buzzer keeps buzzing after ride in rain.
. .. I have to find a solve for Buzzer to stop buzzing after switching off the scooter.
Shouldnt kick start work when battery is low ?

One idea for the buzzer problem - After riding in the rain, open the buzzer and check if there is water there. Apply some grease to the buzzer in such a way so that water does not enter to short the contacts. But suggest avoid applying the grease on the contacts ( I have seen MASS actually to the contacts of head-lamp bulb - I thought that was taking it lil too far)

Last edited by condor : 15th August 2018 at 18:36.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 09:21   #129
BHPian

re: My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!

I don't know if it's just my bike or not but I have noticed the Access tyres lose air pressure much quicker. My usual pressure is about 22 psi in the front and 30 psi at the back but time and again I have noticed that the tyre pressure reduces by 3-4 psi ( sometimes more) per tyre within 3-4 days of regular use.

I have recently changed the stock tyres to Michelins but this issue persists. I should have changed the tyre valve too which i didn't !

Anyone else facing this issue?
Old 17th August 2018, 09:45   #130
Senior - BHPian

re: My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!

Quote:
I have noticed that the tyre pressure reduces by 3-4 psi ( sometimes more) per tyre within 3-4 days of regular use.
Is this for both tyres & did this issue exist even with stock tyres? Normally, such a drop would mean tyre puncture, but it seems you have ruled it out due to tyre change.

Quote:
I should have changed the tyre valve too which i didn't!
If there are no leaks near valve beading, try replacing valve pin.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 10:15   #131
BHPian

Yes for both the tyres. Especially the front one!

I will be changing the whole tyre valve stem which means I might have to remove the tyres once again for fitting the new valves.

I got my front fork oil changed too after about 11k kms and the ride feels good again.
Crankpin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 10:42   #132
BHPian

13000kms on the Odo. I did a 1300 kms trip in 2.5 days. This pic is from Tamhini ghat 14th. Aug.
Attached Thumbnails
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-whatsapp-image-20180814-17.56.44.jpeg  

SAHIR.KITTUR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 10:21   #133
BHPian

Solved: Self-Starting / Battery Problem: A new battery
I've earlier mentioned in this thread that I was facing self-start issues in my scooter. The service center diagnosed it as Battery having low charge and need to charge it.

In 28-Sep-2018, I visited a battery shop in Koramangala to enquire charging rates. We took out the OEM Battery – which was from Amco (made in India, I'd never heard this name before). Upon checking, it showed ~10 volts under no load and under load it would've gone down to <8 Volts. A healthy battery has no-load voltage of ~12.5-13 Volts and under load it can go down to ~10 volts.

Shop owner advised that OEM batteries don’t have long life- and I would end up with low charge over a month and will have to recharge again. The recharging was Rs 200 for 12 hours and I’d drop and collect the battery. It was a major inconvenience for me to recharge every month.

The shop owner gave me another option – he can exchange OEM battery with a new battery under warranty and I’ll have to pay only pro-rate charge. However, OEM batteries is only for 1-year and hence my warranty was over.

I decided to buy a new battery. There were 2 choices: Amaron and Exide- both costing at around Rs 1250. Each having 48 months warranty. There was Rs 100 discount if I traded in the existing battery.

I opted for Exide Battery. I chose to keep OEM battery. So, I paid Rs 1250.
OEM Battery Front:
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-oem-battery-front.jpeg

OEM Battery Back:
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-oem-battery-back.jpeg

The below pics compare to both Exide and Amaron Batteries:
Front View:
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-exide-vs-amaron.jpeg

Top View:
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-exide-vs-amaron-top.jpeg

Exide Front View:
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-exidefront.jpeg

Exide Back View:
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-exideback.jpeg

Exide Top View:
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-exidetop.jpeg

Bill:
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-battery-bill.jpeg

Post battery change, the scooter is self-starting flawlessly - include cold starts in morning.

The experience is so relieving - I am kicking myself for delaying battery change.

I should've changed battery long back - but better late than never.
I am very happy now.
daretodream is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 11:46   #134
Senior - BHPian

In Bangalore, there is a crackdown on Sticker number plates. My friends have shelled out 100 to the cops, every time. How have you managed with yours? Just curious
Attached Images

Old 2nd December 2018, 13:01   #135
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. EDIT: 1 year completed & long term ownership su

Quote:

Interestingly, my Access was been having a peculiar noise while idling and also while running so during the 3rd service, the service guys at Suzuki got the timing chain tensioner bolt replaced as it seemed to be causing that sound.
Sorry for quoting such an old post, but my Access does have weird metal kind of sound while idling, rest of the time its smooth as butter! Is this the sound you are referring to?

Most Viewed