Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2017, 20:27   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. EDIT: 10 months & 4th service completed

Thanks for the detailed thread OP, bought an Blue access with alloy and disc, bike is exactly as you described! Hope to do few long rides(long for a scooter) apart from daily commute.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 10:29   #92
BHPian

re: My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. EDIT: 10 months & 4th service completed

I recently purchased Activa 125 (Alloy+Drum) for my wife. I already have Access 125 (Alloy+Disc) for almost about a year, purchased for my father. Access is BS3 and Activa, obviously, BS4. The following are the quick comparison points I observed after driving Activa 125, hope it helps buyers in choosing the correct one.

THE ALL-NEW ACCESS 125 (ALLOY+DISC)
1) The pick-up of Access is more, about 10%, to get an idea.
2) The footboard of Access is little long, useful to carry little more cargo.
3) The handle bar of Access is little higher. While driving, it feels like big head ahead of us. It also make getting in and out little easier.
4) The under seat lock is coupled with main lock. Also, there is small pocket on the front left, handy for some.
5) Only the front nose bumper is metal, rest of the body is fiber.

ACTIVA 125 (ALLOY+DRUM)
1) The engine of Activa is smooth, you can feel it on your accelerator lever.
2) The front telescopic suspension is little on softer side. I could feel little more bouncing on the same road compared to Access. I could also feel more front body vibration in Activa compared to Access, may be fixed in 1st service.
3) For handle lock, I had to turn handle little clock wise to lock it. It was same in other Activas I checked at dealership. Getting in detail, I found the slot for pin to lock is aligned in such a manner. Why Honda?
4) The accelerator lever had some sideway play, <- ->, giving vibration to hand during jumpy road. I think it can be corrected during 1st service.
5) The front hook (not the under seat hook), is sideways retractable.
6) Only the front body piece near battery and license plate is fiber, rest is metal.
7) Comes with Combi Brake + Equalizer. I doubt how Equalizer works!
Sparky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 21:17   #93
BHPian

On 18th May, I updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
There have been drastic changes in personal life and professional life in last 3 months and I've not got time to update this thread.
.....- it is sad, but this life.
.....I intend to take My Milky bar for free servicing in next 7 days.

2nd Free Service Experience
  1. Originally due on 11th Apr @ 3500-4000 KMs.
  2. Actually done on 21st May @ 3067 KMs.

SERVICE APPOINTMENT AND RECEPTION
21st May was a Sunday and, thank god that Advaith Suzuki accepts appointment for servicing - else there was no way I could've got time to do servicing on weekday.

I reached service center sharp at 08:30AM sharp against advised time of 9 AM. I was 3rd customer to reach there. Staff processed customer vehicles on FIFO(First In First Out) basis.

JOB CARD PREPARATION
During job card preparation, I did not report any malfunction/issue- asked them to do regular job. Since I had over-ran the 2nd free service window, I was told that I will have to pay Rs 100 as labour charge- I was fine with it.

DECIDED ON NEW ACCESSORIES
I asked for below 2 extra accessories to be fitted:
  1. Ladies Footrest – my mother-in-law requested for this
  2. Indicator buzzer – I needed for this from safety perspective. I realized that I sometimes miss out disabling the indicator after a turn. Also, bigger vehicles' drivers are used to buzzer from scooters

ACTUAL SERVICING
This time also I intended to oversee things while my scooter was attended. Within 10 minutes, the mechanic/staff requested to sit in customer lounge and not in stand in shop-floor. The mechanics/staff were pointing at CCTV camera and saying it’s against policy. I neither pushed-back on this nor argued. I went back and stood near the customer lounge and tried to see what was being done.
It was a standard affair – drain oil and lubricate all joints. For some reason the mechanic was also working on adjusting the rear view mirror- when I had not asked for it!

2 REQUESTS DENIED
I asked the supervisor (Mr. Bhaskar) for 2 things:
1. Clean polyurethane foam element of Air Filter(should be cleaned every 3000 KM as per manual)
2. Inspect and clean Oil Strainer (as per manual, should’ve been done in 1st servicing, but was not done. So, I insisted this time)

Mr Bhaskar replied that these works need not done as scooter is in pretty good condition. When I insisted, on the foam cleaning, he said that its overkill at this stage and he’ll do it in next servicing.

On the oil strainer cleaning, after oil was drained, Mr. Bhaskar called me over, had a mechanic tilt the scooter to show scooter under-belly. He pointed to the oil strainer and said that it is clean. I insisted that it should be taken out and cleaned, what he said – I could not completely understand it. I could make out that it requires fine skills to do it and we’ll do it perhaps next time. He repeatedly assured me that it is in good condition. So I just shrugged and let it go.
Below is photo of oil strainer at belly bottom:
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-oil-strainer-belly-bottom.jpg

When I took delivery, the mirrors were so badly aligned. I asked Mr. Bhaskar to do the adjustment after I seated on scooter.

The total bill came to Rs 1366. The line item wise amount is as below
  1. Footrest Set: Rs 880
  2. Indicator Buzzer: Rs 100
  3. Idemitsu Engine Oil+Additive: Rs 220
  4. Consumables and GB Oil: 70
  5. Labour: Rs 100

If we remove the accessories, then my servicing cost would've been Rs 390.
My first servicing had costed Rs 289.

Scooter photo after the delivery:
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-scooter-pics-after-servicing.jpg

Photo of Ladies foot-rest:
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-ladies-footrest-fitted.jpg

My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-ladies-footrest-folded.jpg

Friendly Neighbour Mechanic
I got the scooter by 11:30 and took it to friendly neighborhood garage. I asked them to clean the air filter. After the air filter was cleaned, there was hardly any visible difference between air filter before and after cleaning. My respect for Mr. Bhaskar’s credibility went few notches up after that.

Some pictures:

My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-airfilter1.jpg

My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-filter-beforecleaning.jpg

My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-filter-aftercleaning.jpg

I paid Rs 70 to the mechanic and went home with a relative peace of mind.

I will put in a subsequent post which will cover some updates about me and scooter.
daretodream is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 14:26   #94
BHPian

The paper element filter in the Suzuki access ( the yellow filter in the above image) is smeared with oil from the company itself. I was surprised that there was oil on it but it's the same with all these filters. The foam filter ( black one in the image above) just needs cleaning with petrol or mild detergent and water. Dry and use it again.
BTW why did you remove the entire air-box for cleaning? You just need to clean the filter elements and the box from within.
Old 29th August 2017, 12:09   #95
BHPian

Third Free Service Experience
Date: 16-July
Day: Sunday

If you have followed my ownership thread, you will see that Advaith Suzuki allows Sunday Service basis appointment.

I'd taken appointment and I reached Service center at 09:15AM and was 18th of 20 in queue. I was attended by 09:45AM and asked to come collect scooter by 12:30-1PM.

I'd some prior commitments and hence I could not stay at service center to oversee things personally.

As per Scooter Manual, below Inspections and Replacements are to be done at 210-275 days (6500-7000KM) servicing:

What needed to be done
Replace: Spark Plug, Engine Oil, Gear Oil

Inspect: Air filter paper Element, Valve clearance, Fuel Hose, Throtle cable play, Idle Speed, PAIR(air supply system), Drive Belt, Brakes, Brake Hose, Brake Fluid, Tyres, Steering, Front forks, Rear Suspension

Tight: Chassis bolts and nuts
Lubrication

What was actually done
  1. Engine Oil changed
  2. Gear Box oil topped up
  3. Rear Brake Shoe cleaned
  4. Idle Speed increased from earlier perfect setting (now idling at very high speed)
  5. Mirror stalks adjusted from earlier perfect setting (again!)

When I asked about below things, I was told that it is not required,
1. Gear Oil Replacements,
2. Engine oil strainer cleaning
3. Spark plug replacements

I have now realized that on Sundays, this service center does only below things and nothing else:
1. Clean scooter
2. Drain Engine oil
3. Pour fresh engine oil with additive
4. Top-up gearbox oil
5. Lubricate all joints
6. Clean drum brake shoes
7. Tighten chassis bolts
8. Play with idle rpm
9. Adjust cables
10. Polish

Requests denied till date
Why- because mechanic/supervisor feels after inspection that it is not required:
1. Air filter foam element cleaning (Denied once)
2. Replace Spark Plug (Denied once)
3. Clean Oil strainer (denied 2 times)

For #1, I'd shown a FNG and it was indeed fine.
So, I want to give benefit of doubt to the service center for now.

Mileage so far
The mileage before 3rd free service was: 44, 45, 43, 45 for each full tank
The mileage after 3rd free service has been : 44, 37, 41 for each full tank

I believe this is due to
a) high idlle rpm
b)driving in more chaotic bangalore peak hour traffic

The scooter has done 4901 Kms as of now.

Servicing Costs:
1st Free Servicing: Rs 289
2nd Free Servicing: Rs 1366 (purchsed buzzer and ladies foot rest)
3rd Free Servicing: Rs 694

Last edited by daretodream : 29th August 2017 at 12:22. Reason: Added Servicing Costs
daretodream is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2017, 22:24   #96
BHPian

On 7th September, my Milky Bar crossed 5000KMs milestone.
It took around 9 months since I got delivery on 12th December 2016.

This post is to discuss:
  • likes and dislikes
  • different stats of the scooter(mileage, fuel costs, servicing costs)

My Milky Bar
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-suzuki-access.jpg

Crossing the 5K Milestone
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-5k-kms-done.jpg

Engine: Engine is smooth and refined. Starts in 1-2 kicks every morning. I've been filling regular petrol from same fuel pump.

Power Delivery: This is the biggest reason I am so satisfied with my scooter. Very strong acceleration- pulls aggressively upto 60KMPH. Point and shoot and you break off from the traffic pack every single time- this is a boon in office commutes. Once I reach >40 KMPH, I yield and give space to larger displacement bikes/4-wheelers to overtake.

Ride Quality: The ride quality is firm and not plush. I have realized that if I ride this scooter beyond 1 hour, my back pains. A 20 Km ride from HSR to WTC takes about an hour in peak traffic. Any longer and my back would complain. On smooth roads, ride can be borderline plush. On bad roads or when you go through bumps/potholes - the jerks do get transferred to your back. The ride is more pliant with a pillion (I drive solo 95% of time)

Handling: The telescopic forks with 12 inch alloy wheel & disc brake give you enough confidence to push on clean roads upto 60-65 KMPH. I am very vigilant of the type of road surface- and I am very careful in gravel/sandy roads left after sun dries up the rain soaked roads. The scooter is very nimble, light and I am able to filter through the dense traffic. The turning radius is very small.

Other points:
  • The headlights are proper for the city commutes - no need for auxiliary lights or to bulb upgrade.
  • The chrome circular mirrors are very nice and functional.
  • One of the best looking scooters- In white– its looks so pure & pristine.
  • Exhaust Note is best among the scooters.
  • Service appointment and servicing has been hassle-free. Service has scope to improve.

WHAT COULD BE BETTER:
  • Features: I do miss Pass-Light switch and a Clock on the console
  • Foot Mat is very thin and doesn’t stay put.
  • Servicing: Service center doesn’t do some inspections/cleaning/replacements as suggested by manual even when you insist.

KEY STATS(As per app- Fuelio):
TOTAL STATISTICS:
  • Last Odo counter value: 5211 KM
  • Total Distance: 5210 KM
  • Total Fuel: 120.62 L
  • Total Fuel Cost: Rs 8755.46
  • Total Fill Ups: 25

AVERAGE STATISTICS:
  • Average fill-up: 4.82 L
  • Average Fill Up bill: Rs 350.218
  • Average cost per Kilometer: Rs 1.63 / KM
  • Average cost per day: Rs 31.61
  • Average cost per month: Rs 962.07
  • Average mileage per day: 18.8 KMs
  • Average mileage per month: 521 KMs
  • Average Fuel Consumption: 45.01 KM/L
  • Best fuel consumption: 49.5 KM/L
  • Worst fuel Consumption: 37.04 KM/L

SERVICE COST:
Total Service Cost Rs: 1372
  • 1st free Service: Rs 289
  • 2nd Free Service: Rs 389
  • 3rd Free Service: Rs 694

ACCESSORIES BOUGHT:
  • Ladies footrest and buzzer worth Rs. 977

Last edited by daretodream : 16th September 2017 at 22:38.
daretodream is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 22:12   #97
BHPian

I live in Bangalore and Bangalore folks can understand the deteriorated road and traffic conditions in last 1 months due to rains. We've pot-holes, flooding and then traffic jams!

Due to road, weather and traffic conditions, it has been the hardest/harshest month for my Milky Bar in my ownership journey so far. I've not shied away from taking it out (I carry raincoat in under seat storage). My Milky bar has been as reliable as ever!

Past weekend, I washed up the scooter and did Ayudh Puja (Similar to Vishwakarma Puja of North India). I'm a North Indian, married to South Indian and we follow both! :-)

Some pics of Ayudh Puja of my 2016 Access and 2006 Activa:

My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-ayudh-puja1.jpg

My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-ayudh-puja2.jpg

I plan to take the scooter for 4th Free Service.
I will post update post the service.
daretodream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 21:07   #98
bkc
BHPian

Booked a white colour, special edition access today at Saptagiri Suzuki.
Can someone clarify the registration and handling charges in bangalore?
I paid full ex-showroom price via paytm and remaining 13100rs (excluding insurance and including 1400rs worth accessories).
I could see the registration charges too high,
Registration (2500rs approx) + other charges (1000rs approx) = 3500rs.
Is this the normal charge? I spoke to SA for about 5 mins regarding this and was sad to see such exorbitant charges. Already in Bangalore, we're ripped with heavy road tax and these additional charges really killed my new scooter mood.
If the same money was gifted to someone by me, then it would have made my day.
I'll be taking the delivery tomorrow and insurance work will be done from my side.

Last edited by bkc : 24th October 2017 at 21:09. Reason: sentence error.
bkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2017, 13:08   #99
BHPian

4th Free Service Completed
Date: 17th October
Day: Tuesday
Odo: 5874 Kms

Service Appointment Booking Experience
Got 2 calls from Advaith Suzuki to take service appointment and when I requested for Sunday appointment- I was told that facility of Sunday Service by appointment is withdrawn and Service center remains closed on Sundays.
I was not happy about it- all my 3 earlier servicing have been on Sundays – where there is less rush and you typically get to oversee things. Not only that, I preferred to get it done on Sundays without having to through inconvenience of dropping off scooter in morning and picking up in evening /next morning.

Multiple attempts to get scooter serviced:
1st attempt: 14th October, Saturday. I reached Service Center at 10AM (walk-in) and was shocked to see so many vehicles. After waiting 25 minutes, I was told to collect scooter on Monday as Scooter wouldn’t be ready before that. I chose to come back on Monday instead.
2nd attempt: 16th October, Monday. I reached Service Center at 9:40 AM (walk-in) and felt the rush was no less that Saturday. This time I was immediately attended but told that Saturday backlog is still not cleared and they will confirm later I can collect scooter same day evening or next day. I chose to come back next day.
3rd attempt: 17th October, Tuesday. I reached service center at 09:50 AM (walk-in) and saw the rush was substantially less. I was attended in 5 minutes – and when I was told that to collect scooter by 5PM. I didn’t see any use of staying back in service center as they said they will work on my scooter only after 2 hours. I took metro to office and got SMS from Advaith at 3:15PM that scooter is ready to collect. I came back by 4:30 PM and collected the scooter.

Service Experience
Requests given:
  1. Check Engine Idling speed - I felt the idling was on higher side.
  2. Service adviser suggested to go for Waxing for Rs 200 and I agreed.
  3. Follow standard process like
    Replace: Engine Oil, Gear Oil
    Inspect: Air filter paper Element, Valve clearance, Fuel Hose, Throttle cable play, Idle Speed, PAIR(air supply system), Drive Belt, Brakes, Brake Hose, Brake Fluid, Tyres, Steering, Front forks, Rear Suspension
    Tight: Chassis bolts and nuts
    Lubrication:

Actuals:
  1. Engine Idling is same as before and I am unsure of - whether it was checked and found to be OK or it was even checked at all and hence it’s as-is.
  2. I doubt whether waxing was done as I didn’t see any difference between a normal washed scooter and a scooter which is polished. I found seat to be slippery though.

Scooter after the service:
Between the 3rd and 4th servicing(Mid July-Mid October), my milky bar faced the toughest times in Bangalore roads and traffic- flooded roads, traffic jams, dusty air (when not raining). After, servicing the scooter is so smooth and puts a smile on my face.

Attaching Some Pics for your viewing pleasure:

My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-0.jpg

My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-1.jpg

My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-2.jpg

My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-3.jpg

Bill for the service cost me Rs. 806.
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-bill.jpg

I met Mr Venugopal - the Showroom manager first time since taking delivery in December-2016 (10 months ago). He recognized me. When I raised this issue of cancellation of Sunday Servicing - he said that not many customers were opting for this and their mechanics were under-utilized. I was surprised because the Supervisor had said that they are having staff shortage (mechanics) to give this service on Sundays. Given the 2 perspectives- I believe its more of the staff shortage because of which the Sunday servicing is stopped.

Mr Venugopal also informed me that a new cruiser will be launched and their mechanics will undergo training on same. He didn't have much information on the model- except that it will be a 155 CC engine bike. He promised to call me for test ride when the bike is available in their dealership. I guess its the Suzuki Intruder expected to launch on 7th November.
daretodream is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 20:35   #100
BHPian

re: My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. EDIT: 1 year completed & long term ownership summar

I just thought of updating my feel of my better half's 2013 Access after changing the engine oil to 10w40. I bought a one LTR Shell Advance AX7 10w40 from Amazon and got a very good deal of RS. 356 and also got a cash back of RS. 75 on Amazon pay, so net cost of Rs. 281 .

Bought this oil after checking for some time on all the grades and brands of oil which can be used on scooters. Used 900 ml for oil change and didn't change oil filter. I must say the vehicle was butter smooth which I have never felt in any of previous oil changes. I rode 50 kms today, as I purposely took Access instead of my bike to check out. As of now I recommend this grade. Let me update after 1k kms again.

KK
Old 20th November 2017, 23:26   #101
BHPian

re: My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. EDIT: 1 year completed & long term ownership summar

The shell oils are great! I have been using probably the same one in my Access now for almost 2k kms.

Interestingly, my Access was been having a peculiar noise while idling and also while running so during the 3rd service, the service guys at Suzuki got the timing chain tensioner bolt replaced as it seemed to be causing that sound.

Now, its smooth as earlier and runs great. In case anyone of you is experiencing the same do ask your service guys to check the tensioner and get it replaced under warranty. The tensioner bolt sits below the carburetor so it isn't very visible
thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 18:34   #102
BHPian

Hi, any of you access owners faced any overheating issues? Saw a few reviews on youtube mentioning this problem.
Old 30th November 2017, 12:44   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Hi, any of you access owners faced any overheating issues? Saw a few reviews on Youtube mentioning this problem.
I have not felt any kind of heating issue. The scooter is a sweetheart!
In fact I have not heard of any customer complaining of heating issue in Access even at service center or any other forum.
daretodream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 10:35   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Hi, any of you access owners faced any overheating issues? Saw a few reviews on Youtube mentioning this problem.
Nothing so far! Are you having issues? You sure you meant the Suzuki Access and not the Duke 390?

Last edited by Crankpin : 1st December 2017 at 10:39.
Old 18th December 2017, 18:08   #105
BHPian

Any idea what the New Access stock spark plug number and brand is?

Most Viewed