Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2017, 00:15   #256
BHPian

Re: Yamaha teases new naked motorcycle. EDIT: FZ25 launched at Rs. 1.20 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
That is still Ok, if the braking force is disabled. You can easily modulate the rear and front brakes in this scenario and stop.

A rear wheel slide is enjoyable. However, a front wheel slide is heart-stopping. (Unless you are practicing stoppies )
If the ABS completely disables your brakes, even if momentarily, and the brake lever (front) and pedal (rear) completely sink as if all the brake fluid suddenly bled out, how would you be able to modulate the brakes?

Indeed, a rear wheel slide can be fun and sometimes even warranted and a front end slide can be heart stopping. I agree. But don't you think losing both brakes as if your brake lines just popped is equally heart stopping?

This topic just gave me a thought. What if Yamaha puts ABS on the FZ25 (or any performance or fun oriented bike) and does not provide an off switch? You won't be able to take it off road like you perhaps can the current one, if you want to.
Darth Sid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 02:56   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
If the ABS completely disables your brakes, even if momentarily, and the brake lever (front) and pedal (rear) completely sink as if all the brake fluid suddenly bled out, how would you be able to modulate the brakes?

Indeed, a rear wheel slide can be fun and sometimes even warranted and a front end slide can be heart stopping. I agree. But don't you think losing both brakes as if your brake lines just popped is equally heart stopping?

This topic just gave me a thought. What if Yamaha puts ABS on the FZ25 (or any performance or fun oriented bike) and does not provide an off switch? You won't be able to take it off road like you perhaps can the current one, if you want to.
Why would ABS completely disable the brake?
It will reduce the brake pressure momentarily until wheel locking is stopped, and then increases the brake force again. This start-stop effect will stop the bike.
Another approach is to release the brake lever and press it again gently. This is what I mean why modulation. If you press the brakes gently enough, wheel will not lock in any scenario, regardless of you have ABS or not.
Old 7th April 2017, 18:53   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Why would ABS completely disable the brake?
It will reduce the brake pressure momentarily until wheel locking is stopped, and then increases the brake force again. This start-stop effect will stop the bike.
Another approach is to release the brake lever and press it again gently. This is what I mean why modulation. If you press the brakes gently enough, wheel will not lock in any scenario, regardless of you have ABS or not.
That's the thing. I was not aware of the drawback of ABS on surfaces like dirt, gravel and ice until last year.

Modern day ABS is not intelligent enough to understand extremely surfaces and acts on the basis of the difference in wheel speeds. When it does this, instead of grabbing and releasing the brakes in pulses, it releases the brakes but doesn't grab them again. When that happens, your lever/pedal sinks and you have zero brakes for some time. That's why you are supposed to turn off ABS in your vehicle when going off road. Also, if the lever/pedal sinks, you can't modulate brake pressure yourself.

However, the latest ABS developed by Bosch with KTM for the newest Super Adventure has an off road mode. This is very recent and should change things quite a lot. It's ABS that works off road!

Please look up "ABS off road" and you should be able to find some information on this.
Darth Sid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 19:22   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's the thing. I was not aware of the drawback of ABS on surfaces like dirt, gravel and ice until last year.
Absolutely correct! On gravel, sand and the likes, the bike simply doesn't stop.

I remember during one of our off road sessions, I was on a very steep, very sandy downhill track. I applied the brakes and ... nothing. A big ZERO in terms of stopping power, the bike just kept sliding forward. I had to put my foot down to bring the bike to a halt and then hold it there. You cant modulate the level because there is simply nothing to modulate. You have NO brakes.

And the offroad ABS is simply that the front wheel wont lock but the rear will; kind of like the supermoto mode in the 2017 390.

Last edited by GTO : 9th April 2017 at 10:42. Reason: Strictly no SMS language on Team-BHP please. Also correcting punctuation
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 19:29   #260
BHPian

@ Urban_Nomad:

I was hoping someone with a 390 would comment here. This is why ABS, if equipped, needs to have an off switch. Fortunately, the Duke 390 has it but unfortunately, the Dominar does not. I'm sure the Himalayan will have it. But let's see what they do on the FZ25.

Last edited by GTO : 9th April 2017 at 10:43. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been edited
Old 9th April 2017, 08:13   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
And the offroad ABS is simply that the front wheel wont lock but the rear will; kind of like the supermoto mode in the 2017 390.
Quote:
I was hoping someone with a 390 would comment here.

This is why ABS, if equipped, needs to have an off switch. Fortunately, the Duke 390 has it but unfortunately, the Dominar does not. I'm sure the Himalayan will have it. But let's see what they do on the FZ25.

The front never needs to be disabled. One never ever locks the Front wheels intentionally unless one wants to perform a Stoppie.

In simple terms Single Channel ABS is the Best set up for me. One can modulate the rear brakes to get traction over gravel or loose surface.

A fancy name for single channel ABS is "Supermodel mode"

Last edited by GTO : 9th April 2017 at 10:43. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 10th April 2017, 11:28   #262
BHPian

Need some feedback from people who have test ridden and own the FZ 25. I ride a Pulsar 220 Dts-i and desperately need to change my motorcycle as it hasn't aged so well. I do not wish to spend a whole lot on a new motorcycle as I ride it for a few kilometres daily and occasionally ride on highways, on weekends.

The worst dilemma I am in is the price to value proposition on changing my motorcycle. I enjoy riding a larger CC motorcycle for everything it offers but do not wish to spend a tonne on it as I barely ride. My mind screams value listening to Dominar praises but owning two Bajaj motorcycles over the span of a decade has made me sceptical to go for another Bajaj motorcycle.

I have heard praises about the FZ 25 and for the money, it seems like a lateral move if not a significant upgrade over my existing motorcycle. On checking the motorcycle in person, I felt the seats were a tad bit hard and the everything fiber is a recipe for rattling noise.

Is there any rattling noise at high speeds and on rough roads? Also, how well does it handle and brake? Is it powerful enough to feel an upgrade over the Pulsar 220?

Unfortunately, there are no test ride motorcycles available at my nearest Yamaha dealer and will have to wait a couple of weeks for the same. Also, what is the real life fuel efficiency that FZ 25 owners are experiencing?

Also, how easy is it to add a windshield to the FZ 25? Some questions are too early to be asked but would really like to know what I am getting into if I do make this choice! I am fed up of failures and sub-quality parts used by Bajaj and I do love opening the throttle every once in a while as I ride on NH4 on weekends.

- Pratik

Last edited by Pratzgh1 : 10th April 2017 at 11:31.
Old 10th April 2017, 18:41   #263

Finally received my FZ few days back.
Ridden for ~250 kms and below are my initial impressions.

The Good -
1. Engine refinement levels are excellent and low end torque is superb.
2. It looks bulky but very nimble and agile in city traffic, feels much much lighter than it looks.
3. Seating ergonomics are spot on for me.
4. Pillion seat comfort is good.
5. Exhaust note is addictive.

The Bad -
1. Gear up shifts, it's really hard, maybe more kms will smooth-en it out. Down shifts are good and precise.
2. Quality of plastics are questionable at certain places, especially the ones that are just below the seats, they flex a lot with minimal pressure. Only time will tell.
3. Brakes, progressive but lack initial bite, you need pull the lever almost to half before they start working, hope it's just getting used to.
4. Console - POOR. It is very basic and looks dated on an otherwise modern bike. Gear indicator solely missed.
5. Headlights - OK. All led is sort of marketing gimmick I suppose, low beam is good and the illuminated area is crisp and clear, much better than halogen and high beam is useless, maybe I need to get the alignment right as few others have mentioned, so will reserve my final verdict here.

That's all for now. I will keep updating as and when I find something interesting or useful to others.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha teases new naked motorcycle. EDIT: FZ25 launched at Rs. 1.20 lakh-20170407_172058.jpg  

Yamaha teases new naked motorcycle. EDIT: FZ25 launched at Rs. 1.20 lakh-20170407_172042.jpg  

skyliner34 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 20:28   #264
Senior - BHPian

Hello all!

I did book the FZ25 in black, the delivery is scheduled for tomorrow.

However, I thought there is some news for those who have taken delivery of the bike and this needs to be verified.

According to the dealer, the initial lot of FZ25 that was delivered had the PUC for BS3 which cannot be registered anymore and this has caused quite a bit of confusion. Those who got the initial lot of BS3 bikes are going to receive a fresh stock of BS4 bike that can be now registered.

Those who got delivery of the bikes and still not registered, do have a word with your dealer.
anachronix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 23:00   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyliner34 View Post
Finally received my FZ few days back.
Ridden for ~250 kms and below are my initial impressions.
Many congratulations skyliner34 on laying your hands on your white FZ25 , looks awesome in this color. Did you get a chance to take it on the highway? What is the max speed you could ride it and how soon does it reach there? Good overview of the initial impressions.

Gear shifts should smoothen out as you clock in more kms. Brakes is a matter of getting used to & I don't see any issues there. I hope the plastic quality of not too bad and can withstand our driving and climatic conditions.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 11th April 2017 at 23:01.
Old 12th April 2017, 10:09   #266
BHPian

Hello guys,

She came home gleaming in Cyan color!
First impressions are very positive.
As fellow members have already taken the pain of writing likes and dislikes of this vehicle, I won't dwell into that for now.
The only issue I faced so far is heating. I know it's nitpicking and isn't actually an issue, as the vehicle is still under break in period.
Rest, the vehicle is very rev happy I must say and it's getting very difficult for me to control my wrist.
Exhaust is addictive!

Me and Father taking the delivery. (I had my humble mobile phone camera with me at this moment, so the photo quality would be a miss)
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha teases new naked motorcycle. EDIT: FZ25 launched at Rs. 1.20 lakh-img_20170410_190030025.jpg  

337699gsd is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 11:11   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 337699gsd View Post
Hello guys, She came home gleaming in Cyan color! First impressions are very positive.
Many congratulations 337699gsd on getting you Cyan Blue FZ25 . This is one of my favorite colors. Need to see in person how this color FZ25 stacks up against the one in white.

How much did it cost you on-road? How long did you have to wait to get the delivery?
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 19:17   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 337699gsd View Post
She came home gleaming in Cyan color!
Congrats 337699gsd, on getting your gleaming new Cyan FZ. Wishing you many many happy miles. Eagerly look forward to your ownership report and whilst we wait, how about some more pics from various angles, considering you seem to be the first here with the Cyan variant.
uday.ere is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 19:21   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Many congratulations 337699gsd on getting you Cyan Blue FZ25 . This is one of my favorite colors. Need to see in person how this color FZ25 stacks up against the one in white.

How much did it cost you on-road? How long did you have to wait to get the delivery?
Thanks! AutoIndian,

It costed me Rs.1,39,760/- on-road. The dealer was a friend so got myself a complementary discount of Rs.1000/- in accessories.
Mirrors, Number plates, and tank pad was also fitted inclusive of the above quote. If you want the exact breakup of above-said cost, just let me know.
I didn't have to wait as all the three colors were available with the dealer and got the vehicle home in a single day!
337699gsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 21:16   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyliner34 View Post
1. Gear up shifts, it's really hard, maybe more kms will smooth-en it out. Down shifts are good and precise.
Several reviews have said the same thing. Maybe the engine is a very old one (not the unit but the design) and so needs some breaking in before the gearbox becomes more compliant to your inputs.

Quote:
5. Headlights - OK. All led is sort of marketing gimmick I suppose, low beam is good and the illuminated area is crisp and clear, much better than halogen and high beam is useless, maybe I need to get the alignment right as few others have mentioned, so will reserve my final verdict here.
This is one of the things on the FZ25 that I have been curious about since its launch. Would it be possible for you to put up some pics of the headlight beam throw?

LED headlights are more than a gimmick. Even if you solely consider the superior lumens-per-watt numbers of modern LED's, you will see that it is a win-win. Your headlight draws only 35W total. If it is better than a regular 60/55W halogen, you reduce load on the engine in addition to getting more light. AFAIK Yamaha has installed a lower power alternator because of the reduced load of the headlight on the electricals.

Also, do you know how much the headlight costs in spare parts? Sorry for the multiple requests.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks