Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2017, 15:20   #1
BHPian

A self-balancing bike from Honda!

A wonderful and useful innovation from Honda!

Self balancing bike! Future does look promising!

http://www.motoroids.com/interesting...sing-robotics/
vinair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2017, 20:49   #2
BHPian

Honda Riding Assist: Self Balancing Motorcycle

Honda introduced an experimental technology at Consumer Electronic Show(CES) in Las Vegas named Honda Riding Assist. It keeps the motorcycle upright- with or without the rider. The aim of this technology is to improve low speed stability. If this tech enters production, it will help urban riders in congested cities. The follow mode helps in taking the bike out of tight parking spots. Many cars offer this follow mode these days (BMW 7-series).

Link

Quote:
Honda is focusing on low speed stability with “Rider Assist” technology, aiding riders when traveling at speeds less than 3 mph. The technology automatically increases the rake, giving the bike a lower center of gravity and an extended wheelbase. To maintain balance, the Honda Riding Assist motorcycle steers to the left and right in minute amounts. Another interesting feature is the “follow” mode.

Last edited by deerhunter : 7th January 2017 at 20:54.
deerhunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2017, 23:01   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Riding Assist: Self Balancing Motorcycle

Looks like another high tech device which will eventually break and cost a small fortune to fix.

As it only works at speeds under 3 mph (4.84 kmph), who needs it?

While learning to ride at these very low speeds does take a little learned ability, it is nothing that the rider of any bicycle has not learned.

At speeds this slow, I think the riders bicycle riding ability and their feet work quite well.
ArizonaJim is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 11:21   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: A self-balancing bike from Honda!

Thread moved to the Motorcycle section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 9th January 2017, 11:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think this requires Unlearning what you already know and expert at, and then relying on technology. As they say, To Unlearn is more difficult than to learn

Any bike rider who purchases this bike will have to first unlearn his skill of balancing and stopping the bike with his feet and body dynamics before he relies on the bike to balance itself. I am not able to imagine how I can rely on bike to balance when I am accustomed to balance the bike through my feet and body balance which I learnt and have been practicing all through my age. (of course - Age minus 5 years )

And what is the benefit that you get with all these circus? I think, it is insignificant except for the huge cost that you will have to pay.
Old 9th January 2017, 12:22   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
I think this requires Unlearning what you already know and expert at, and then relying on technology. As they say, To Unlearn is more difficult than to learn

And what is the benefit that you get with all these circus? I think, it is insignificant except for the huge cost that you will have to pay.
I think the only thing you would need to do is keep your feet firmly on the footpegs and let the bike do it's thing.

As for it's use, it would be immensely useful if you have to stop your bike inside a pothole in the monsoons.
farhadtarapore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 12:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post

As for it's use, it would be immensely useful if you have to stop your bike inside a pothole in the monsoons.
Are we saying it will never fall even if there are pot holes / sand or unforeseen obstructions ? Although I wish it would not fall, I do not think so. Since the speed at which it operates is max 5 KMPH (Apprx), and the bike speed would be mostly greater than 5 KMPH at these spots, It would not work is my assumption

Let us wait and see ! !
Old 9th January 2017, 14:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
As it only works at speeds under 3 mph (4.84 kmph), who needs it?
Jim mate for once let's give it to Honda for experimenting with such stuff. Believe me, here in India in tier one cities where rush hour traffic seldom hits 5-10 KMPH while being bumper to bumper this self balancing tech on a commuter motorcycle(if at all it makes to low cost commuters) will be a boon for no-nonsense office/regular commuters. It will help cut the fatigue in snail pace traffic conditions. I personally have experienced such painful traffic on the roads of Bombay hence feel it will be helpful.
Quote:
At speeds this slow, I think the riders bicycle riding ability and their feet work quite well.
Agreed but it will do no harm if it cuts the fatigue of keeping the feet down always every time the bike comes to crawling speeds. Also it will be helpful for those(people with average height) riding bikes which are taller than normal(especially Adventure tourers).
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 16:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Before somebody brings in the cost, its not rocket science. They ditched the conventional large gyroscope for this bike and used something they already had on their mobility scooters that they have been successfully using at their HQ for employees to move around over the last 4 years or so.

So its not an alien level technology for you to be paying a lot. A lot of people said the same thing when FI was being tested and the news of carburettors being eliminated for the future. Then there was also a time when ABS was going to get people killed because no computer can do the calculations and corrections like a human brain(supposedly theirs not the rest of us mere mortals).

The way I see it, this could be a boon to those who are stuck in a huge traffic jam and have luggage or a heavy pillion behind them and have to balance the bike in stop and go traffic for hours at end. Would you not benefit if you're going to spend 1 hour in Bangalore's snail paced traffic if you sat on the bike and it balanced itself for you without you having to bear the excess load of the bike and the goods/passenger on your foot?

And it definitely can be a boon to this person here:

Last edited by GTO : 12th January 2017 at 15:48. Reason: Please keep your tone polite & respectful on Team-BHP. Thanks
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 14:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Wonder how this works, here is the explanation.

Old 7th February 2017, 11:28   #11
BHPian

I feel any technology that helps in betterment of rider's safety & comfort is good technology. Everyone may not need this but I am sure there are lot of people who will appreciate this especially on their tall adventure tourer. In India I can definitely find its application in slow moving traffic & during monsoon this will be a boon to office commuters who don't want to stop by stepping into a water puddle/water filled road in there formal shoes!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks