Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2006, 15:05   #1
BHPian

TVS Scooty Pep+

Hi Friends,

Want your opinion on this scooterette. TVS Scooty pep+. I have been riding a TVS Scooty ES for quite a while and am quite a fan of it. Am thinking of going for a scooty pep as its 4 stroke and seems to be having a kind of decent power - weight - mileage ratio too.

I am 5.5' and also around 80kgs, will that be a problem. I am mainly thinking of it as an option becuase i personally woudl like my wife to drive the vehicle. Activa and DIO are good, but they will be quite a big one as compared to pep+ for my wife.

Give me your frank opinions guys, and would like to hear from pep users too, as to what is your opinion on the bike.

Second most important stuff, in Bangalore, closer to JP nagar, which is the best place I can go and procure this bike, if I lock on this bike.

You are welcome for other suggestions as well on bike, but consider this that my wife hardly rides the scooty because of its size, we have an activa and she is a no no on that.

Thanks
Old 23rd October 2006, 15:30   #2
BHPian

go ahead. It's good but don't expect the performance like an activa.

You do get some goodies like chargers and all. i own one too fell happy with it.

its good for women. the stand slicks in easily without strain.

Note from Support - Please avoid posting with excessive dots. One full stop at the right place will do just fine.

Last edited by n_aditya : 1st March 2013 at 09:07.
Old 23rd October 2006, 18:30   #3
BHPian

You just need to touch the main stand and the pep+ just sits back...the design of the whole bike is so user friendly that all other scooters are put to shame. the engine is frugal and offers good FE. what more do you need..just buy one!

Note from Support - SMS lingo is not permitted. Your post has been corrected this time (u for you, etc.). Please type in complete English for the benefit of the community. Thanks!

Last edited by n_aditya : 1st March 2013 at 09:05.
Old 23rd October 2006, 19:16   #4
BHPian

Hi !
I have used a TVS Scooty ES for around 3 1/2 years,and love the bike..not much maintainance problems,servicing costs were very very low and an excellent service center(RNZ,Mazgaon,Mumbai)..
Please do consider the new Hero Honda Pleasure too..with just around Rs5000 more than the Scooty Pep +,it offers better power..
I think Hero Honda has the name..but their after sales service centers - well,atleast in Mumbai are always over packed,and shoddy service at times..but in the case of TVS,RNZ has always been excellent each and every time..
Oh yeah - I wasn't getting more than 25kms/litre in my Scooty ES after the first 1 1/2 year of ownership..(was a 2 stroke bike then..)..probably the newer scooty 4 stroke will be better in terms of FE..
Good luck with your purchase.

-sr
Old 25th October 2006, 10:28   #5
BHPian

Thanks ..

Hi All,

I am amazed to see the responses, we my wife and me have come to a conclusion to buy it and these comments here strengthen it up.

SUrely activa is a more powerful vehicle and sturdy too, but Scooty feels more comfy to my wife. so I go with her and with your good comments.

Thanks
Old 25th October 2006, 10:34   #6
BHPian

Scooty Pep is really good and even Kinetic for a simple machine system..Activa is the sturdier of the lot.., However you may also want to check out Yo Bikes, Th new entry in the segment offering Scooty designed vehicles on Electric charge system..!

Last edited by wolfinstein : 25th October 2006 at 10:35.
Old 28th February 2013, 12:36   #7
BHPian

Re: TVS Scooty Pep+

Hi Guys,
I know this is an old thread, but need some info about Scooty Pep+.

My Wife has been using a scooty Pep+ for the last 4 years and it has clocked around 27000+ kms. The general servicing including engine oil change was done in 24500 kms.

The vehicle was used mainly for office commute with daily mileage clocking of not more than 15-18 kms.

Coming to the problem now, She started the vehicle and left to office today morning. Within 10 mins, gives me a call and says that the vehicle had stalled and does not start. Luckily she was stranded before TVS Ramkay agencies service center at Adyar, Chennai and I asked her to drop the vehicle there. I came to the TVS center and was waiting outside.

Before sending the scooty inside the SC, I tried starting and it came to life, but the noise was not the same. There was a faint tak tak noise and it died. The person who inspected the scooty told her that the bore and piston have jammed and needs to be replaced. He tried kicking the starter and said that there is no compression.
The SA said that the vehicle did not have engine oil. He did not check the oil level through the dip stick(?)(do we have one?)

How is it possible that the pistons could have jammed? When I tried starting, it did start. She had returned from office yesterday evening and the vehicle was fine.

I have asked the SA to check and let me know the cost of repairing, based on which I will decide whether to repair or give it off and buy an activa which I feel is more sturider than scooty.

Guys, I need to your suggestions/advice to check whether the SA is right in what he says or try an independent mechanic for doing the repairs. What checks can I do to isolate the issue?

Best ,
Karthik
Old 28th February 2013, 13:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Most likely the oil had leaked off over time leading to a seizure. Do Check whether there are any signs of a leak. You can get the repair done, as suggested by the ASC. The repair job should not be too expensive, since it is a simple job, and generally will last for a long time again, if the running-in is done properly after the repair.
The cost of buying a replacement will be significant, in contrast.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2013, 16:40   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
What checks can I do to isolate the issue?
Have you checked engine oil yourself?
If the vehicle is fine, no need to do anything but as the vehicle is ridden by a leady, for satisfaction check for the magneto is throwing sufficient current & spark plug.
Less compression is not every time because of piston-bore failure there may be just a valve leak.
Look for Castrol Bike Zone for checking compression checking and do take your Owner’s Manual with you for correct compression reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Most likely the oil had leaked off over time leading to a seizure.
I have seen this issue only in 3 box Res. How it can happen, kindly detail?
(Alok) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2013, 17:11   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Most likely the oil had leaked off over time leading to a seizure. Do Check whether there are any signs of a leak. You can get the repair done, as suggested by the ASC. The repair job should not be too expensive, since it is a simple job, and generally will last for a long time again, if the running-in is done properly after the repair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
If the vehicle is fine, no need to do anything but as the vehicle is ridden by a leady, for satisfaction check for the magneto is throwing sufficient current & spark plug.
Less compression is not every time because of piston-bore failure there may be just a valve leak.
Look for Castrol Bike Zone for checking compression checking and do take your Owner’s Manual with you for correct compression reading.

Thanks for the response guys.
No I have not checked the oil level and for leaks and both had to rush to the office. IIRC, i did not see any leaks anywhere today morning.
I have asked the SA to let me know the repairs that he is proposing and then decide whether to go ahead with it or not...Rough estimate was around INR 4500 + taxes...

Best...........Karthik

Last edited by Jack Sparrow : 28th February 2013 at 17:13.
Old 28th February 2013, 18:26   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post

Just now spoke with the mechanic. There has been a valve leakage and minimal quantity of oil in the sump due to which there has been a scoring in the Bore leading to a seizure. They had given for lathe work for valve setting and are replacing the bore and piston.
Overall cost will work out to 4750+ taxes. Will post the detailed bill once i receive it. Thx for your help.
Best..............Karthik
Jack Sparrow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2013, 19:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow
He did not check the oil level through the dip stick(?)(do we have one?)
Yes, the Scooty Pep+ does have a dipstick to check the oil level. On the right side.

We have both the ES (since 2001) and the Pep+ (since 2010) and they are good bikes for short runabouts. Me and wifey even did a 40km highway run long time ago on the ES, but it was a back-breaking ride.

As someone suggested in this thread, the HH Pleasure is a better more powerful option without having the bulk of the Activa and I would have opted for Pleasure instead of the Pep+, if only their dealerships in Kerala were not all snooty and servicing a pain since they are so overcrowded.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 28th February 2013 at 19:49.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2013, 22:52   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
Just now spoke with the mechanic. ....They had given for lathe work for valve setting and are replacing the bore and piston
Piston-bore replacement at @27K Kms is a bad data for a scooty pep+.
I presume that there was suction of oil in chamber, if it is so then also get the silencer clean.
Do check for play of connecting rod at gudgeon pin end (though the SC will do it there self but ensure at your end).
(Alok) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2013, 17:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Yes, the Scooty Pep+ does have a dipstick to check the oil level. On the right side.
Looks like I got it wrong. The dip-stick is on the left side of the Scooty. Sorry about that.
Old 20th March 2013, 17:56   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

My dad is driving a Scooty Pep for past 5+ years covered 66k km without any major issues.
Pros:
+ Light weight, best suitable for women and elders
+ Low on maintenance
+ Good FE (45~50kmpl)
+ Wider rear seat is comfortable
+ Suspension is very soft (especially the rear)

Cons:
- Not peppy (compared with Activa / Pleasure)
- Not stable at high speeds (say 60+kmph)

Also we had a Scooty ES from 2007 to 2011 which served us well.
Both these machine are really wonderful products from TVS.

PS: Why don't you consider Streak? It is just few grands costlier than Pep+

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks