Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2017, 15:23   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: TVS XL 100 - Ownership Review

Dear EPMV,
Thank you for the wonderful review. Good photos and great attention to detail have made this a great review. TVS Excel is legend in India, similar to the HM Ambassador. It truly an epitome of mechanical simplicity, robustness and reliability.

It feels very good to read a review of the lesser reviewed vehicles of India.

Before this, I have not found good reviews of the TVS XL and HH Splendor, which are legends and long time best sellers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPMV View Post
First of all, I was thinking too much about posting this review on Team-BHP. I'm not sure this vehicle is really eligible to get the BHPians attention.
Don't assume that. Almost all BHPians will get excited by anything that moves on wheels.

Thanks

Cheers,
LC123

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 19th January 2017 at 15:26.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 15:46   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
Is it the only tvs moped version in production now? What was the total damage to the pocket? Any registration hassles?
39k is the total cost of ownership. No hassles in registration, simple and smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Don't assume that. Almost all BHPians will get excited by anything that moves on wheels.
Yes, I can see that in the overwhelming response to my review. Thanks for the kind words.
Old 20th January 2017, 11:16   #33
BHPian

Very nice review. The build quality of the new TVS has come down but still the most abuse friendly and easy to maintain and use vehicle.

I recently sold my 2 stroke Super XL after owning it for 14 years. My wife used it for the daily commute to the bike stand before boarding her office bus. The amount of abuse the vehicle can take is mind boggling and has very low TCO. I had replaced almost every piece of the vehicle except for the engine casing, the base frame, the wheel hubs and the CVT for just about 15K a couple of years ago. Our iron wallah bought it for 6K since he knew the vehicle is actually new and swears by it.
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2017, 11:42   #34
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase and thank you for the review.
I was under impression TVS moped came only with 50cc engine.
Now I know about the 100cc version.
Over the years TVS moped design improved a lot.
SKavuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2017, 14:58   #35
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Nice review. It was a refreshing read, nicely written review. I remember, back in the 90's my aunt had an olive green coloured TVS50(?) moped. It was put through many tasks and trials but never failed in any of its commitments. Looking at the pictures, I feel that this newer version will also stay up to the test. Congrats for your purchase and do ride it more often! It will be fun!
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2017, 15:34   #36
Senior - BHPian

Nice review! I can see it is not as torquey as the two stroke unit. That one is unique, I have seen people shifting house on it and petty shop owners bringing a month's worth of merchandise heaped on!
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2017, 17:58   #37
BHPian

Fr fork, wheels, T stem, handle bar, headlamp, seats , toolbox, swingarm , rear suspension and mud guards seems to be carried over from the TVS XL heavy duty old moped. Minimal investment yet significantly improved product. TVS R&D team did not get carried away and change what need not be changed. Kudos to TVS!
gauravanekar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 12:59   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Nice review! I can see it is not as torquey as the two stroke unit. That one is unique, I have seen people shifting house on it and petty shop owners bringing a month's worth of merchandise heaped on!
Currently as per TVS website the max. torque indicated for XL 100 version is 6.5Nm @ 3500rpm (I think it was previously indicated as 6.3 Nm of peak torque at 3500 rpm). The corresponding figure for the two stroke unit is 5Nm @ 3750rpm.

Noticed a 'TVS XL 100 Comfort' variant listed, presume it is the new name for the single seat variant (with changes like two patterned seatcover with matching stitching color) as compared to the twin seat version which is called 'TVS XL 100'. Both variants have same 'ex-showroom price', but the 'comfort' version has sligthly lower 'on-road price' - presume it is due to 'mandatory accessories'?

Last edited by manij : 23rd January 2017 at 13:10. Reason: updated reference
manij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 13:41   #39
BHPian

EPMV, thank you for penning that wonderful review. A different one from what we usually see at T-Bhp, but with all the regular flavors, pics from diff angles, close ups, pros & cons.

It also brought back some old memories. During my early school days, my neighbor had a luna, I used to sneak rides on that. Hero Puch was next.

If not for the transporting capability, mopeds are a dying breed of vehicles. And not to forget their superb mileage.

There was this joke about moped, which says it runs 20 miles with a teaspoon of petrol.
Spinnerr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 22:05   #40
BHPian

Loved the review!

With a lockable fuel cap, centre stand, removable and lockable rear seat the XL is more loaded than my Triumph Bonneville!

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2017, 17:28   #41
BANNED

Awesome review! Your thread has inspired me to put up a review of my latest acquisition Le Bajaj CT100B, waiting to complete 1K on the ODO to do so. The CT100B and XL are identical when it comes to missing out a few essentials, mainly the fuel guage! But then again cant complain considering the pricing.
Old 25th April 2017, 09:22   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPMV View Post
Presenting my local workhorse TVS XL 100 to the keen eyes of BHPians
EPMV, you are riding a star product!

Source & Full Article

Quote:
Moped sales in 2016-17 were driven by TVS XL 100 model, a 100 cc variant which is currently the market leader.
Quote:
The fastest sales growth in six years came on the back of the launch of a new moped with a four-stroke 100cc engine, said a TVS dealer
Quote:
So, what makes the moped click? Besides the TVS XL’s affordable price, (Rs35,000, ex-showroom, Maharashtra), the vehicle’s ability to carry light loads makes it popular with small businessmen, said a Navi Mumbai dealer of TVS, citing instances of vegetable traders who use the moped to travel to and from the wholesale farm produce market in Vashi.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 01:45   #43
BHPian

Moneycontrol.com has published a beautiful piece on the TVS Xl 100 and what keeps it ticking.

Full article here
Old 28th August 2017, 02:18   #44
BHPian

This brought back memories of my dad’s TVS 50 which he adored. He has moved on to many scooters since his TVS 50 days but nothing will ever be reliable as this moped for him (his 10 year old Activa would like a word though). He used to clean it thoroughly every Sunday and it was the first riding upgrade I got from my Hercules bicycle.

Thanks for the great review. My father in law has just bought a TVS 100 for his village use as well and I will make sure I try it for a change next time I visit.
Old 28th August 2017, 08:57   #45
Senior - BHPian

Nice review. I wonder why TVS is the only player in the segment.

Bajaj had the M80 model which used to do similar duties as the TVS 50/XL. In fact, I think it had a higher load bearing capacity. They even had a Boxer motorbike with a single seat and a load carrier at the rear. I guess, Bajaj re-jigged their portfolio for better profitability.

Wonder why Hero Motocorp hasn't ventured into this segment ? They too had a bare bones version of the CD100 long back. Not to forget the Hero Puch ( if I got the spelling right ) - used to be an aspirational vehicle for teens. But could have been modified to do load bearing duties.

Last edited by narayan : 28th August 2017 at 08:58.

Most Viewed