Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2017, 10:13   #181
Senior - BHPian

re: Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400

Its a well known secret that Dominar has picked some of the design cues from Ducati Diavel. Well now you can make the dominar look more like the diavel with a body kit. Called the Bajaj Domivel , it is a diavel inspired body kit consisting of kit’s tank shrouds (available in either matte black or body colour), belly cover, seat cowl and tail tidy setup. The overall cost of the same is 16,500 rs for the first 50 units. After that the cost would be 20000 rs. This is designed by Autologue Design.

Source : Motoroids

Few pics :

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-dominartodiaveldomivelautologuedesign1700x380.jpg

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-dominartodiaveldomivelautologuedesign2600x425.jpg
TorqueyTechie is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 10:34   #182
BHPian

So we did a another fast ballsout ride to Goa and then to Malvan in search of a dive Spot.

adityasiera is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 12:06   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityasiera View Post
So we did a another fast ballsout ride to Goa and then to Malvan in search of a dive Spot.

Enjoyed the Video. ViaTerra Claw seems to be a favorite of the Group.

By the way, your Video of the Claw on the Dominar is pending

Last edited by Zappo : 3rd May 2017 at 13:03. Reason: Video in the quote is not needed.
Old 3rd May 2017, 11:20   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Enjoyed the Video. ViaTerra Claw seems to be a favorite of the Group.

By the way, your Video of the Claw on the Dominar is pending
Been trailing on editing the videos and putting them on YouTube. Hopefully today I get to upload atleast one of them.
Old 6th May 2017, 11:16   #185
BHPian

Customizing company Autologue Design has showcased two pictures of the Bajaj Dominar 400. Both the versions are sports tourer-based designs with a semi-fairing. The Tour-X gets a floating semi-fairing with two blinkers on the either sides of the headlamp setup and an air-scoop above it. There are knuckle protectors too.

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-dominartourxautologuedesign.jpg

On the other hand, the Tourex gets a semi-fairing as well but there is a headlamp protector and a body-coloured pannier in addition for carrying extra luggage.

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-dominartourexbyautologuedesign.jpg

Autologue Design had promised that the one which gets the highest number of votes, customized parts for that bike will be made ready. People favoured the Tour-X version and Autologue Design has confirmed it will go ahead and make those customized parts.
PraNeel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 18:32   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
...People favoured the Tour-X version and Autologue Design has confirmed it will go ahead and make those customized parts.
Are these guys based out of Bangy?? The white one looks pretty awesome. The headlights give a CBR 650F feel.
Old 8th May 2017, 18:41   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Are these guys based out of Bangy??
As mentioned on their website, they are based in Pune. Link
PraNeel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2017, 09:53   #188

Has anyone experienced any issue of loss of power while decelerating around 40-50 kmph..
When throttle is opened again after deceleration, the bike feels short of breath, no acceleration or pick up.

It has happened on quite a few occasions sporadically..
Doesn't happen Everytime.

Downshift, a slight twist of the throttle with the clutch engaged, and it gets back to normal.. Can't understand why it's happening.

Is anyone experiencing the same issue? A couple of folks on Dominar Owners Group chat also have similar concerns.
akki4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2017, 09:00   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akki4 View Post
Has anyone experienced any issue of loss of power while decelerating around 40-50 kmph..
When throttle is opened again after deceleration, the bike feels short of breath, no acceleration or pick up.

Downshift, a slight twist of the throttle with the clutch engaged, and it gets back to normal.. Can't understand why it's happening.

Is anyone experiencing the same issue? A couple of folks on Dominar Owners Group chat also have similar concerns.
Hi Akki,

I am not a part of DOC but have had the bike since February. Yes I am also facing this very issue. Some of the members from xbhp have done an ECU reset and have been able to resolve the issue. However some feel the issue still persists and as such the injectors need to be cleaned. The service centre folks are pretty apprehensive about both the above mentioned processes.

ECU reset DIY has been posted by one of the riders on YouTube and you can find it by searching for Dominar ECU reset. I have not done this yet but like you I modulate the throttle in order to overcome this issue.
Old 16th May 2017, 11:03   #190
BHPian

Quote:

When you are decelerating to under 50 kmph and opening the throttle again, which gear are you in generally?
Old 17th May 2017, 09:21   #191
BHPian

Hi All,

I am new to the forum when it comes to posting. Kindly bear with the quality of the attachments, I do not know how to put the pics in the middle of the text so uploading one after the other. The following ownership review was put up by me on motorbeam a week ago as well:

My passion for riding started when I was maybe 3 years old and sat on the tank of my father’s Bullet. I still remember the feel of metal as I held on to the tank and the smell of petrol each time we stopped at a petrol pump.

What added to the passion was probably the fact that I saw my father continuously tinkering with the engine every weekend trying to get the tuning just right.

For me riding is not just about feeling free, its about being a better version of myself. This is why I enjoy riding. From the first time I swung over a leg on a Bullet more than 12 years ago to this morning when I got off my Dominar, it still feels the same, metaphorically speaking of course.

The Dominar is my third bike, upgrading from the 200 NS, the first thing which hit me is how far the brand has come. I say this in comparison to the NS and not the first gen Pulsar. In terms of overall panel fit, the Dominar is definitely better. But we will get into that later. Let us take things chronologically. This will be a very detailed write up.

The first date (test ride):
Despite belonging to a Tier 2 city the Dominar test rides were available in Vadodara within a few weeks of its launch. I enquired from one of the dealers and what struck me immediately is that even on phone the guys in the showroom were incredibly enthusiastic. Not only did they assure me that they would give me a comprehensive test ride (which they did) but also told me to come after 8 pm so that I can test the LED headlights. I felt a sense of pride in Bajaj as at that time in this price bracket they had gone one up on the international brands by being the first to offer LED headlights (closely followed by the FZ 25). Also the sense of confidence which they instilled was quite commendable.

I eventually ended up taking 2 test rides. The first one was during the day time. The whole process was smooth; I called, booked a time and reached there with my wife and my helmet. The executive offered that my wife sit pillion while I took the test ride. This was also a big positive since I was going to ask him for that anyway. We took a 5 km test ride and the best thing I liked about the bike was the handlebar ergonomics and the pulling power even with a pillion. It felt just right. Moreover both I and my wife had enough room. To put things in perspective, I am 6 feet tall and my wife is 5 ft 6 inches. The engine was quite smooth but this was probably due to the fact that the test ride bike had run nearly 7000 kms. I was hooked. Booked the bike in a few days time with an initial payment of Rs 10000. On road price came to Rs 172000.

Delivery Process:

So after the booking I was told that it would take between 2 to 3 weeks for the bike to come and that I would be required to make the balance payment at least 2 days in prior to delivery. I am normally impatient but since these guys were so professional so far, I relented and didn’t do any continuous follow ups with them. Fast forward 2 weeks and a couple of phone calls and they said that my bike is due to arrive in the next 2 – 3 days. I immediately made the balance payment and waited eagerly. It should be pointed out that at this stage I had to up the follow up process since they did act a little shady. First, they did not confirm exactly what time or the exact day when I could pick up the bike and second when I pressurized them to deliver the bike by being assertive they confirmed delivery for the next day within an hour. So from an hour they went from we are not sure if the bike is still in transit and reached our godown to Sir, you can pick up your bike tomorrow morning. Thirdly when I did go for delivery of the bike they did not provide me a proper receipt for the sale of the bike. They provided me a print out of the money I had paid but said that the official receipt would be generated after 2 days and said that was the normal procedure. I was not too sure but at least I had a temporary receipt and after completing a detailed inspection of the bike I took it off their hands.

I would like to emphasize here that the next day I called up Bajaj customer care and asked them about the bill generation and the guy at the other end confirmed that all receipts must immediately be given to the customer along with the delivery of the bike and no such delay of 2 days is ever done. They asked me to shoot all the details of the dealer to Bajaj and wait for their reply. A big thumbs up for the customer care. Frankly I had not expected this level of support. I still thought about giving the dealership a second chance and asked them about the bill after 2 more days and they came up with an excuse that the system was being upgraded and they would be able to generate the bill further after 3 more days. By then I had had enough and shot a mail to customer care and the very next day I got a call from the dealership to come and pick up by receipt.

First Impressions:

The bike is attractive but it is in no way beautiful. I have always felt that the front and rear end of Bajaj Bikes seem to have been designed by different people. Though they have scaled down some elements of a certain Italian power cruiser, I honestly think they should have done a better job at designing the rear mudguard. It seems to stretch for half a foot behind the tail light and I think that’s just an excuse for getting rear ended in traffic. One thing that I did not expect was the quality of the plastics and they feel very hard. Just touch the rear mudguard and you will be convinced. Same goes for the front mudguard, I feel its been over designed. Remember the fairing of the RS, I feel Bajaj should let go with this obsession of putting abrupt angles and curves and focus on smoother lines. Just look at the front mudguard of the avenger, it looks like it fits flush on top of the front wheel and looks so classy despite being plain jane.

My least favourite part about the bike is probably the secondary display on the tank. It is a gimmick and I wish that since Bajaj went through all that trouble in installing one, they should have added stuff like a temperature gauge or a distance to empty gauge there. Instead all you get is a high beam indicator, side stand indicator, battery indicator and some other unimportant stuff. See the lack in the interest even I as an owner have? I was also disappointed in the lack of colour options. I was expecting the red colour like the one they had displayed in the Expos, but instead we got slightly bland colours. I chose the blue one (closer to black) since it resonated the most with me. White was pretty too but I got reminded of traffic police bikes so didn’t go for it. Not a big fan of burgundy/maroon colour either.

The tank continues to be fibre and as such magnetic tank bags wont work on it. Big bummer for the long distance cruiser types.
My favourite design element is definitely the alloy wheel designs. The splash of silver on the spokes is pure class and makes it look unique when standing still. Moving on the ergonomics are slightly weird for me. I am coming from the NS which had very upright riding ergonomics and so though I loved the wide handlebar of the Dominar, the slightly rear set foot pegs made me lean forward ever so slightly. Its not something that takes away from the bike but if you are touting it as a cruiser I think the foot pegs should have been positioned better.

Another thing which adds to the aesthetic of the bike is the sound. Its bassy and classy (cheesy, I know). It sounds strong even at idle and grabs attention as soon as you start it. Its like the KTM decided to lose its treble. Headlights are a big talking point of the bike especially with the All time Headlight On (AHO) featured here and this is what sets it truly apart from the crowd. The Dominar grabs a lot of attention mainly due to its white LEDs shining all the time. It’s a pain because the common man is still not aware that the headlight cannot be switched off and I encounter at least one instance each time I take out my bike when someone makes that crude gesture with their hands that my headlight is on during the day time. I simply nod and this confuses them further.
So are they more effective than conventional projector setups? Honestly, not really. This is based entirely on my 100% city riding I have done so far. I feel that they give a different perspective because of the white colour but I was not wowed by it when I rode at night. It seemed good and everything which I cared about in front of me was visible but it did not feel exceptional to me. Same goes for the high beams.
Ride and Handling:
The bike is heavy and that had been known since before it was launched. As per the brochure it weighs in the vicinity of 180 kgs and that puts it in the ballpark of RE. Since the seat height is lesser than the NS, I was able to leverage my legs easily to shift the bike and somehow the weight doesn’t seem like a deterrent most of the times. I do feel it when I have to cut across traffic quickly though. One has to make considerable efforts on the handlebars to move it even while accelerating and this becomes second nature after a couple of weeks. Though I must admit, initially I felt the bike was heavy even while I was riding it.

I have kept the suspension setting at the hardest and though this aids in handling, the ride quality is the harshest on any bike I have ever ridden. No other way of saying it, if you have a sensitive back, keep the suspension setting on soft. At the hardest setting it will communicate every pothole and ditch to your spine twice as fast and with four times the vengeance.
Cornering is very easy and comfortable on the Dominar. I don’t do any knee downs but low speed u – turns and high speed long curves are a delight on the bike. I don’t feel out of depth even when I am caught a bit unaware on a turn and this is where I must mention the tyres. The MRF radials get the job done and then some as long as you are not too demanding. The NS in comparison came with the suicidal TVS Eurogrips which were hard compound tyres and as such were notoriously bad in providing grip. With the MRFs I feel much more confident. They do an adequate job in the city but give it the beans when the lights change and you will end up with a controlled fishtail. If you intend to ride it like a bat out of hell, definitely upgrade. The MRFs suit the cruiser character of the bike, not the drag race character which the bike can show.

Engine and Performance:
This is a tuned down Duke 390 engine which is made more for torque and less for acceleration and its very evident. If you want it will give you the adrenaline rush (not like the KTM obviously) but it feels better to gradually build up speed. The mid and low range of the bike is excellent and in the city you wont feel the need to hit more than the 4th gear. Though you easily can since the torque spread ensures that you can do as low as 60 in 6th, it just feels wrong since you are the verge of lugging the engine. I have not done any timed acceleration runs with the bike but the roll on acceleration of the bike has impressed me a lot, which is what you need in the city. So if I am puttering about at 40 kmph in 4th and I need to suddenly overtake, the torque ensures I don’t need to downshift. In fact I have overshot my overtake since in that very instance I hit a speedo indicated 75 kmph within what felt 2 seconds or less.
The bike is at its most relaxed in the 3500 rpms to 6000 rpms range and unfortunately as of now its also a buzz kill in that range due to the vibrations. They start in the 4500 rpm range and stay with you till 5500 rpms. It didn’t bother me much initially but I realized that had they been less the ride would actually be more enjoyable. One good news though for prospective buyers that after the first service the vibes come down by what seems like 30% to 40% and that makes a lot of difference. The areas which transfer vibrations the most are the tank and the handlebars followed by the seat and foot pegs. I remember that the test ride bike was relatively vibe free after running more than 5000 kms so I am hoping that with run in the engine here too will smoothen out.

This is also the part where I talk about the engine heat. Its definitely prevalent and more than 2 minutes in bumper to bumper traffic is enough to make you realise that you are riding a 400 cc single cylinder. A few days ago I was idiotic enough to ride the bike in a pair of bermudas and after a while it became very evident that it was a bad idea. One good aspect though, it has till now never shut off and nor has the overheat engine logo come on in the secondary display. The radiator does kick in and keeps matters in check.
Clutch operation is also very smooth and though I have not tested the slipper clutch operation extensively, in the few instances that I have, the engine gets rev matched perfectly and there are no accidental wheel locks during aggressive downshifting.
Braking:
Fantastic. The ABS is a life saving asset and the massive disc brake up front is very reassuring. This is the first time I have had an ABS enabled bike and it feels like a blessing. The rear brakes are not very confidence inspiring but do the job of balancing the bike well. I mostly use the front brakes more anyway and so I do not find the braking to be inadequate in any regards.

Pillion Comfort:
I’m dedicating a separate part of the review to it since my wife immediately gave her stamp of approval after the test ride. I must admit that other than a conventional cruiser I did not really expect a bike like the Dominar to live up to the comfort levels that they offer. But it comes close enough and my wife and I love the plush looking and feeling seat. Its just right for us in terms of width and length and I am certain with the suspension on a soft setting, it will match a cruiser’s comfort levels.

First Service:
The experience was good. I got some preferential treatment since the morning I showed up and stood in line to get the bike serviced, I had a separate technician come to me and ask me the issues I was facing if any. At that point the only issue was that the Neutral light had come on once and the bike was still in gear. Rest they only had to do an engine oil change, lube up the chain and clean the bike. They were also nice enough to seat me in an air conditioned cabin from where I could see the bike being serviced.
Cost was roughly Rs 1200.

Mileage:
Prior to first service I was getting in the vicinity of 25 kmpl.
After first service I am getting a steady 28 kmpl. Very frugal in my opinion for a bike as heavy and powerful as this.
The above figures are for 100% city riding and calculated using tankfull to tankfull method.

Miscellaneous Issues:
A widely discussed issue on the ownership forum is the ECU reset which is required to neutralize the throttle lag which seems to be plaguing every other Dominar. The problem which occurs is that the bike seems to lose steam in higher gears (4 – 6) mid acceleration and this can get dangerous especially when you are in the middle of an overtake. I myself have felt this happen and it feels like the bike has suddenly run out of fuel. To counter this I modulate the throttle and power comes back up but its an annoying and dangerous glitch and frankly I am surprised that Bajaj has not done anything to address this.

Some of the owners have come up with a solution. An ECU reset which is easier than it sounds apparently negates this problem. It simply requires disconnecting the battery terminal for roughly 20 minutes and then reconnecting. There is a detailed video on YouTube regarding this and I would advise anyone wanting to do this to watch that video first. I have not done this on my bike yet and am planning to take it up with the service guy in the second service.

Second mildly irritating issue is the highly inaccurate fuel gauge. Bajaj makes crappy digital fuel gauges but it seems they went all out in making the worst one for their flagship bike. Long story short, if you are continuously riding a bike over a long distance, the fuel gauge will stay stuck at the same level which it was showing when you started riding. It basically only updates and shows the real capacity only once you have completely shut off the bike and restarted it. For long distance riding it is best to follow the method I follow, which is to make a mental calculation of the mileage vs the distance run on the trip meter and calculate how much fuel is left!

Street Reaction:
The bike is still rare on our streets and as such grabs a lot of eyeballs wherever it goes. Despite the subtle (bordering on boring) colour, it gets a lot of attention. I have had people asking me about the price, mileage, name and even the Brand! Once an army personnel was surprised to learn that it was a Bajaj.He said the design looked like it was an imported naked bike. Another kept thinking it was a 400 cc Pulsar, which brings me to the name of the bike. It just feels a bit odd. I know they are trying to play on the word Dominar but like the others had commented when the bike was about to be launched, it just sounds too close to the word Domino and that just aint right!

So why Did I buy it?
I wanted a cruiser which didn’t look like one and was reliable enough to start in a single crank. The price fell exactly in my comfort zone and I was already happy with my previous bike which was the 200 NS. At the end of the day, the bike felt almost tailor made for me and fit like a glove.

Competition Check:
Mahindra Mojo – Recently someone set a record of riding from the eastern most to the western most part of the country using the Mojo. If you can get over the odd ball looks and no ABS (deal breaker for me), there is little else it lacks. I have not seen one in my city till date let alone ride one so can’t comment on the engine character differences.

Honda CBR 250R – This bike took the game forward with respect to the sports cruiser category from the pioneer i.e. the Karizma. Its reliable, efficient, safe and a Honda. It looks a little outdated now but riders still swear by it.
Royal Enfield (Classic 350, T bird 350) – The Indian cruiser with the most heritage in the country without doubt. The thumper has become the first image which any discerning biker’s mind conjures up when he hears the words highway and freedom! Ok maybe I went overboard but I am emotionally attached to this brand since my father bought and sold 5 bullets in his lifetime. Its full of quality issues but people still love it. It should be a case study!

I consciously did not mention Himalayan since although closely priced both cater to different requirements entirely

Parting Words:
The above review is entirely a personal opinion of mine which you can absolutely feel free to disagree with. Please write to me in case you have any queries and you have my word that I shall respond when possible with the complete and unbiased truth. I am not in the habit of sugar coating answers just because I own the bike. Lastly please always ride with protective gears and do not skimp out on a good riding jacket and helmet.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-unnamed-15.jpg  

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-unnamed-23.jpg  

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-unnamed-9.jpg  

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-unnamed-21.jpg  

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-unnamed-19.jpg  

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-img_20170430_165304733_hdr.jpg  

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-img_20170507_070915543_hdr.jpg  

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-img_20170507_083633703_hdr.jpg  

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-img_20170221_110129252.jpg  

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-img_20170507_071031341.jpg  

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-unnamed-8.jpg  

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-unnamed-10.jpg  

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-unnamed-11.jpg  

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-unnamed-18.jpg  

Vikram8891 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 23:53   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
When you are decelerating to under 50 kmph and opening the throttle again, which gear are you in generally?
I think mostly the third gear.
Old 20th May 2017, 09:01   #193
BHPian

Quote:
I think mostly the third gear.
I have been an active part of the xbhp forum and there the members informed me that there is a ECU update named "112" and "113" for the ABS and the Non - ABS version respectively which has recently been done in Pune and Delhi so far. The throttle response has improved significantly and the issue which you (we) are facing has been resolved.

The update will be rolled out by 22nd May all across the country in all dealerships. So best to call up your dealership once and ask. I called mine and they hadnt heard about it, but when I provided the details, the showroom guys immediately told me they would check and get back to me.
Vikram8891 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 10:59   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram8891 View Post
I have been an active part of the xbhp forum and there the members informed me that there is a ECU update named "112" and "113" for the ABS and the Non - ABS version respectively which has recently been done in Pune and Delhi so far. The throttle response has improved significantly and the issue which you (we) are facing has been resolved.

The update will be rolled out by 22nd May all across the country in all dealerships. So best to call up your dealership once and ask. I called mine and they hadnt heard about it, but when I provided the details, the showroom guys immediately told me they would check and get back to me.
Here is the Google doc the member has uploaded on Xbhp. Very useful. We are checking at Bangalore for the new software but no service center in Bangalore are aware of it currently.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1..._4/mobilebasic

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 11:04   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Here is the Google doc the member has uploaded on Xbhp. Very useful. We are checking at Bangalore for the new software but no service center in Bangalore are aware of it currently.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1..._4/mobilebasic

KK
Yes, seen it. Im glad something is being done by Bajaj on resolving this issue.

Most Viewed