Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2017, 11:16   #226
Senior - BHPian

re: Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400

I have started to catch the occasional Dominar rider every once a while in Gurgaon. But have to say that unless looked at carefully, it doesn't make its presence felt in a stand out manner. With just a casual glance, it's easy to mistake the Dominar as a Pulsar on the road.

Wish Bajaj had shod the Dominar with a Massive 180 section rear just to make it stand out in the crowd. That itself would have done what spending crores on promotion would/might not do.

Before anyone tries to scoff at the idea of a massive 180 section on the Dominar, let me remind of the Wide (and actually quite unnecessary) 140 section rear (with wide rims) on the humble 150 cc (13 bhp) Yamaha FZ.. which has also now been aped by the Gixxer and the Hornet 160R.

Its the engineer's job to make it work.. just like how the Wide Tyre for the FZ/Gixxer/Hornet works on the bikes.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2017, 16:14   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
You can count me to be one of those keen observers.

By the way, are there any issues with your bike?
Hi,

Yes only 1 issue. The throttle lag which can supposedly be fixed by the ECU update which still isnt available in Vadodara. I think it was rolled out in Pune and Gurgaon by the end of May, but here the dealerships are not aware of it.

Just to give background, I dont ride all that much since I have to cycle between 2 of my cars, so my odometer stands at just over 2000 kms in 4 months. But yes each time I take the bike out there is at least one instance when I start losing power and I have found that the only way to counter this is to pull in the clutch and decrease and increase the throttle input.

This gets dangerous if it ever happens in the middle of an overtake. Apart from this issue though, I dont have any complaints. The showroom guys actually treat me like royalty when I visit, so thats good. I am ok with the vibes since I have graduated from a NS 200.
Old 15th July 2017, 17:31   #228
Team-BHP Support

Any sales figures of the Dominar?
Old 15th July 2017, 17:37   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any issue with Vibrations?
?
I've done close to 1k km on my D. There is a bit of a buzz around 4500 rpm (80 kmph in 6th) but cross that and she's butter smooth. Not done more than 100 kmph (running in is till 2000 kms) so can't comment on that
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2017, 23:37   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram8891 View Post
Hi,

Yes only 1 issue. The throttle lag which can supposedly be fixed by the ECU update which still isnt available in Vadodara. I think it was rolled out in Pune and Gurgaon by the end of May, but here the dealerships are not aware of it.
Quite a few people have got this update of 112 in Bangalore and I don't think it is a tested fix for throttle lag issue. It's supposed to be a quick fix for the time being, and I feel they have just played with the fuel flow ratio and increased the fuel flow, which makes you feel that throttle lag is gone. Whoever have got update are also getting lower fuel economy. So it is better to wait for a tested update from Bajaj.

KK
Old 16th July 2017, 07:26   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wish Bajaj had shod the Dominar with a Massive 180 section rear just to make it stand out in the crowd.

Before anyone tries to scoff at the idea of a massive 180 section on the Dominar, let me remind of the Wide (and actually quite unnecessary) 140 section rear (with wide rims) on the humble 150 cc (13 bhp) Yamaha FZ.. which has also now been aped by the Gixxer and the Hornet 160R.
Sorry mate, but 180 section on Dominar is an overkill and will look too "wanna-be" in my opinion. We talk about 180 section on 35 bhp bike as 14 bhp bikes run on 140 sections.

But my friend's 150 bhp liter class yamaha runs on 190. Dominar with 180 section means the tyre alone is going to up the overall cost by 20k! Bajaj cannot afford that.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 08:46   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Sorry mate, but 180 section on Dominar is an overkill and will look too "wanna-be" in my opinion. We talk about 180 section on 35 bhp bike as 14 bhp bikes run on 140 sections.

But my friend's 150 bhp liter class yamaha runs on 190. Dominar with 180 section means the tyre alone is going to up the overall cost by 20k! Bajaj cannot afford that.

Like I said it's the Engineers job to do it. Before the FZ it was a ludicrous idea to have a 140 on a 13 bhp bike..

But now it's considered normal and actually the biggest USP of the FZ, Gixxer, Hornet 160R
Old 16th July 2017, 09:06   #233
Team-BHP Support

^ Then we may conclude that Bajaj's engineers are not as capable as the ones at Yamaha, Honda & Suzuki, which is apparent.

I rode the new BS-4 NS-200 and despite having all technology Bajaj has to offer, the lesser FZ-250 can smoke it on all grounds and it did.

BTW, if ~ 400cc's came up with 180 section rear, what should 1000's come up with..? I mean, anything...

Last edited by Sheel : 16th July 2017 at 09:12.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 15:52   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
^ Then we may conclude that Bajaj's engineers are not as capable as the ones at Yamaha, Honda & Suzuki, which is apparent.

I rode the new BS-4 NS-200 and despite having all technology Bajaj has to offer, the lesser FZ-250 can smoke it on all grounds and it did.

BTW, if ~ 400cc's came up with 180 section rear, what should 1000's come up with..? I mean, anything...
Whatever the market wants. Even the great engineers of Yamaha had to design a 130 section for the R15.. that had done nothing wrong with the original 100 section.

.. and did not get this FZ 250 angle here.

Last edited by payeng : 16th July 2017 at 15:56.
Old 17th July 2017, 08:47   #235
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wish Bajaj had shod the Dominar with a Massive 180 section rear just to make it stand out in the crowd. That itself would have done what spending crores on promotion would/might not do.

Its the engineer's job to make it work.. just like how the Wide Tyre for the FZ/Gixxer/Hornet works on the bikes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

Quote:
Like I said it's the Engineers job to do it. Before the FZ it was a ludicrous idea to have a 140 on a 13 bhp bike..

But now it's considered normal and actually the biggest USP of the FZ, Gixxer, Hornet 160R
Quote:
Whatever the market wants. Even the great engineers of Yamaha had to design a 130 section for the R15.. that had done nothing wrong with the original 100 section.
Quote:
How FAT is the rear tyre..?

Case in point - the FZ16 and it's clones- Gixxer and Hornet 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Your magic beans for manufacturers nailing sales targets seems to be nothing beyond a fat tyre; similar to your "proposal" that the Dominar should be sporting a 180 section tyre

Link - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ariant-19.html

No sane manufacturer would accommodate vanity at the expense of performance / dynamics. A bit of extra plastic here and there, a dash of chrome etc might be included for some flash and does not hurt the performance aspect, but decisions like tyre size enter the technical domain and require more pondering than "what would look macho". Rest, the Brutalier has very crisply summed up the thought process of a buyer; do re-read
I just don't know when will you stop with your 180 section demand for the Dominar, you have been going on and on for the past few months. I honestly think, one should stop as we had enough of it.
Sheel is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 11:56   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I just don't know when will you stop with your 180 section demand for the Dominar, you have been going on and on for the past few months. I honestly think, one should stop as we had enough of it.
Take a Chill pill dude, it's not as if my wish is a command. Why so Serious?

No matter whatever might be "our" rants, in the end only the manufacturers plans materialize.

Last edited by payeng : 17th July 2017 at 11:57.
Old 19th July 2017, 18:32   #237

Hey guys..

As discussed earlier, The ABS was kicking in at all the wrong times which was making the ride quality pathetic. So I decided to take the risk of removing the abs fuse for trial.

Here are a few points that I noticed:

1) The ABS positively turned off. The abs lamp lit up on the display.

2) As mentioned in a few posts online, it does not cause the reset of the trip meter, neither does it disengages the speedometer. The speedometer works as good as earlier.

3) The feel of the breaks has improved drastically. Almost for the first time, i got the taste of how good the breaks really are! Never really got a scary skid or locking of wheels though. But I must say I'm highly skilled to break even in emergency situations, or so I believe!

4) The worse part: It turned off the slipper clutch as well!! The way it matches the engine rpm to the speed of the vehicle- that feature is now gone. As soon as the clutch is depressed on the move, the rpm goes down to 1500 or less, and it totally feels like the engine has stalled. Gives a very splendour-ish feel.*

Even worse, the engine stalled a lot of times upon disengaging the clutch. The character of the bike totally changed, specially while using the clutch.

In short, removal of the ABS fuse totally messed up the big bike feel you get. I couldn't tolerate it for more than a day, and I had to put it back into place.*

My suggestion: DO NOT even think about it. It did more damage than good!*

Interestingly on the same day, I got a few tips from my friend Kush who turned off the ABS on his street triple. And I think am in much better control now, and my understanding of the system has also improved as to how to use it over potholes.

All's well that ends well!!*

But this has been the only moment I regret to have bought a Dominar and not a Duke2017!!
akki4 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 22:12   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akki4 View Post
Hey guys..

As discussed earlier, The ABS was kicking in at all the wrong times which was making the ride quality pathetic. So I decided to take the risk of removing the abs fuse for trial.
This does not sound right. ABS is a feature which kicks in during emergency/panic braking situations. Unless there is something wrong with your bike or you are putting yourself in near miss situations frequently, you could be mistaking something else for ABS kicking in. AFAIK, most drivers/riders rarely, experience this feature and definitely not as frequently as reading your post seems to suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akki4 View Post
3) The feel of the breaks has improved drastically. Almost for the first time, i got the taste of how good the breaks really are! Never really got a scary skid or locking of wheels though. But I must say I'm highly skilled to break even in emergency situations, or so I believe!
I wonder if ABS will 'interfere' with the feel of the brakes. Regardless of how good you think you are on the brakes, I feel you should get the bike checked. Human reaction can never be as good as an electronic safety aid
hothatchaway is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 23:44   #239
BHPian

So I did close to 6k KMS from 0feet at Kanyakumari to 18380 feet at Ktop. Only thing that was done on the bike was chain lube and chain tension adjustment. Plus I had a fall too. What I can say is, this bike is built tough like an ak47 and goes unlike a "Bullet".

adityasiera is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 08:47   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityasiera View Post
So I did close to 6k KMS from 0feet at Kanyakumari to 18380 feet at Ktop. Only thing that was done on the bike was chain lube and chain tension adjustment. Plus I had a fall too. What I can say is, this bike is built tough like an ak47 and goes unlike a "Bullet".
Many Congratulations on completing this amazing trip . Good to know that the Dominar withstood the varying terrain and altitude. Was this trip sponsored by Shell, asking this because the video title mentions, "SHELL ADVANCE PRESENTS.."

Last edited by Aditya : 20th July 2017 at 17:14. Reason: Deleting video from quoted text

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks