Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2017, 22:29   #301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
I keep reading/hearing how high strung/frantic the Duke 200 is, and I was eager to try it out, because it didn't make sense at all. I was riding a 20hp Pulsar 220 since long and a 25hp machine being described as 'frantic' was something I couldn't digest.

I did get my chance eventually - I rented a Duke 200 in Goa and rode it at least 60-70km. And I didn't find the Duke 200 'frantic' at all. It would amble along like a tame Labrador with low throttle input, none of the 'if just wants to rev and rev' snatching/hunting. In the end, I now believe its all down to the throttle hand and how well you reign it in.

Really want to know frantic - try a BMW S1000RR. I couldn't get it over 6000rpm in my short ride, but does it make the Dominar feel like I'm moving in slo-mo.

To each his own my friend. Yes it is correct it all depends on throttle input and control. Also gearing too plays a big role in the character of the bike. In fact I use my Duke 200 to commute and have taken it on long rides as well. It can definitely amble along nicely, but you always get this feeling the engine doesn't like it at all. The engine feels best and smoother when its revved hard and ridden hard. Same for the suspension. It responds better to aggressive inputs.

I'll get back to you on the S1000R when I get a chance to ride one. 😬

The Dominar on the other hand is no slow poke. But it has a nice duality about it. It feels comfortable puttering around in lower revs and really feels good on aggressive inputs as well. My 2 paisas worth of observations. Peace.
Old 7th October 2017, 07:45   #302
BHPian

re: Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400

you'll find out when the TVS comes out :-). Besides, TVS always made better built not necessarily better bikes than Bajaj.
See I agree that the classic 500 is disgraceful on the highway but it's not exactly meant to do that. It's not a touring motorcycle. Most use it as there wasn't anything in the market to cater that segment.
Bajaj's so-called fit finish or lack of quality is something most users are aware of. The Dominar might be slightly better but has a long way to go. Besides, fueling issues and throttle glitches have been plaguing these motorbikes. Same goes for the Bajaj Duke motorcycles. But I'm glad that Bajaj is making sensible motorcycles and the Japs should learn something from Bajaj.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 7th October 2017 at 07:46.
Old 7th October 2017, 08:15   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
My sentiments exactly based on my 390 test ride.

Now, about that BMW, I would be interested in hearing a comparo of it with, say a Yamaha FZ1. That thing is a beast!!
Haha coincidentally i tried my hands on an FZ1 last weekend. I was a bit worried about the throttle response (i have a very restless throttle hand). But surprisingly 150 bhp beast did not feel scary at all.

It is fast, oh yeah, scary fast post 7000 rpm! But any average joe can ride it happily below 5000 rpm.
Duke 200 is definitely snatchy, not that it is fast, but the power delivery is snatchy. I dont think it is sensible to compare 25 bhp 200cc to liter class supersports in power delivery. Among Indian bikes, Duke 200 is one interesting bike!

@Crankpin, KTM Duke 390's in new versions have their throttle issues recrified totally.

"Bajaj Duke" its like calling Jeep Compass"Fiat Compass" or a Landrover Discovery as Tata Discovery.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 10:34   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRasTan4986 View Post
I'm glad our inputs helped you score a test ride and helped you reach a buying decision. However please ensure ATGATT when you go out riding.

Thanks for the inputs on your comparison. I was looking at the Duke 390 myself but I currently own a Duke 200 which I want to sell off. It's way too frantic for my riding style (guess things do change after marriage ). However it sure is a hoot to ride fast. I think the Dominar really does reach a nice balance between performance and practicality.

Ride along a Duke 390, you will realize how slow a D200 is. D200 makes you feel fast with all that noise and short ratio gearbox.
Old 7th October 2017, 11:04   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh_N/A View Post
Ride along a Duke 390, you will realize how slow a D200 is. D200 makes you feel fast with all that noise and short ratio gearbox.

I've ridden the old D390. It's a beast all right and also a tad more refined than the D200. Most reviews on the new one say it's been smoothened out a lot. I'll give it a go but I'm looking for something more comfortable for me and my wife to tour on. Yamaha FZ25 is a strong contender. It surprised me how good it was. But I got my heart set on the Dominar for now. I feel it can do two up cruising comfortably and when I'm in the mood maybe push it hard and it'll respond accordingly.
Old 7th October 2017, 17:42   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Really want to know frantic - try a BMW S1000RR. I couldn't get it over 6000rpm in my short ride, but does it make the Dominar feel like I'm moving in slo-mo.
Facepalm moment. No explanation, simply a facepalm moment.

Quote:
I'll give it a go but I'm looking for something more comfortable for me and my wife to tour on.
Cheapest tourer is definitely the D400. The next best thing is 390 with sacrifice on rear seat comfort.

Take a test ride back to back on both FZ25 and Dominor with your wife. That is the only way you can eliminate one or both. Also find out how many days the bike will do pillion up touring. If that is actually not a high percentage, skip the Dominor and get the 390.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 18:04   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRasTan4986 View Post
when I'm in the mood maybe push it hard and it'll respond accordingly.
This is the only part of your requirements that the FZ25 cannot satisfy(when compared to D400 & D390) It is otherwise an amazing package.

Dominar on the other hand ticks all the boxes.

If this part of your requirements is important, New Duke 390 is the best among the three. It lacks pillion comfort alone. But pillion comfort is like "usable 7 seats in car". We buy 7 seaters but rarely use all the seats.

So ask yourselves if this is going to be your primary mode of transport, and if it requires you doing 2 up majority of the times. If yes, go for the Dominar, else the Duke.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 7th October 2017 at 18:32.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 19:46   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Facepalm moment. No explanation, simply a facepalm moment.

Quote:
Cheapest tourer is definitely the D400. The next best thing is 390 with sacrifice on rear seat comfort.

Take a test ride back to back on both FZ25 and Dominor with your wife. That is the only way you can eliminate one or both. Also find out how many days the bike will do pillion up touring. If that is actually not a high percentage, skip the Dominor and get the 390.

Don't want to sacrifice rear seat comfort. Missus liked the FZ25 rear seat. She said Dominar was good too. Kudos to Yamaha though for making such a wonderful all round bike.

My concern with the new 390 is also the display unit. I'm guessing most of the issues pointed out earlier have been ironed out. Thanks for your inputs though. Appreciate it.

Last edited by Samurai : 8th October 2017 at 13:48. Reason: quote fixed
Old 7th October 2017, 19:50   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
This is the only part of your requirements that the FZ25 cannot satisfy(when compared to D400 & D390) It is otherwise an amazing package.

Dominar on the other hand ticks all the boxes.

If this part of your requirements is important, New Duke 390 is the best among the three. It lacks pillion comfort alone. But pillion comfort is like "usable 7 seats in car". We buy 7 seaters but rarely use all the seats.

So ask yourselves if this is going to be your primary mode of transport, and if it requires you doing 2 up majority of the times. If yes, go for the Dominar, else the Duke.

You make a good point with your comparison of the 7 seat car. I'll be sure to give the new 390 a go with the missus along. Let's see what she says.

It'll be my primary mode of transport. Also looking for something that'll last me a good 5 years down the line or longer. Thanks for your inputs. Appreciate it.
MadRasTan4986 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 20:25   #310
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
.. The Dominar might be slightly better but has a long way to go. Besides, fueling issues and throttle glitches have been plaguing these motorbikes....
The throttle issue is quite well known and from what I have heard, it has been solved with an ECU mapping. The problem has certainly not been seen in the later batches of the bike. But, what fueling issues are you talking about? Can you cite the sources where you read about it? I would be interested in learning more before an actual purchase.
Old 7th October 2017, 23:22   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My concern with the new 390 is also the display unit. I'm guessing most of the issues pointed out earlier have been ironed out. Thanks for your inputs though. Appreciate it.
I would happily throw that unit out and continue to ride. The least of worries for me as the bike will hardly let you worry about consoles. Its designed to actually make you a better rider, forgiving every mistake you make and to me, its a no brainer, that 390 is the best learners motorcycle for learning to ride in tracks.
Old 8th October 2017, 00:38   #312
BANNED

Guys... does anyone here have any latest data on the Dominar's sales figures? I could only find some figures dating back to May. The article I read was alluding to the bike not being a success as it sold only 1500 units in May 2017. Personally, I don't think that that's bad at all for a bike that is basically disrupting the status quo. And plus, I think that it is premature to judge the performance of a product when it has not even been a full year since its launch.

But, that said, I am quite interested in knowing how the Dominar has sold in each of the months since May. Can anyone here help?

Last edited by mohansrides : 8th October 2017 at 00:39.
Old 8th October 2017, 18:29   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

Guess there was a ride arranged for the Dominar owners today in Chennai. Saw a bunch riding in a convoy around 7.30 am on the Rajiv Gandhi IT expressway near Thruvanmiyur. Saw 3-4 ahead of them also taking a turn towards ECR at the signal. The DRLs are so bright that these guys could be seen from a km away. Good bit - they were all sticking to one lane rather than being all over on the road. Bad - they stuck to the right most lane.

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-aqua-power-m_20171008_073633.jpg

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-aqua-power-m_20171008_073638.jpg

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-aqua-power-m_20171008_073644.jpg

PS: Mobile cam pics - please excuse the quality.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 8th October 2017 at 18:39.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 18:40   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Guess there was a ride arranged for the Dominar owners today in Chennai. Saw a bunch riding in a convoy around 7.30 am on the Rajiv Gandhi IT expressway near Thruvanmiyur. Saw 3-4 ahead of them also taking a turn towards ECR at the signal. The DRLs are so bright that these guys could be seen from a km away. Good bit - they were all sticking to one lane rather than being all over on the road. Bad - they stuck to the right most lane.
It may have been a Hypermeet organized by Bajaj, there was one in Bengaluru as well.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 09:48   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
The throttle issue is quite well known and from what I have heard, it has been solved with an ECU mapping. The problem has certainly not been seen in the later batches of the bike. But, what fueling issues are you talking about? Can you cite the sources where you read about it? I would be interested in learning more before an actual purchase.

See that's the issue! Some bikes have that funny throttle issue and some don't. An earlier bike I had ridden in Pune seemed fine but a friend told me about a similar issue of a bike delivered on Dusshera!
It's this uncertainty of Bajaj that puts me off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Haha coincidentally i tried my hands on an FZ1 last weekend. I was a bit worried about the throttle response (i have a very restless throttle hand). But surprisingly 150 bhp beast did not feel scary at all.

It is fast, oh yeah, scary fast post 7000 rpm! But any average joe can ride it happily below 5000 rpm.
Duke 200 is definitely snatchy, not that it is fast, but the power delivery is snatchy. I dont think it is sensible to compare 25 bhp 200cc to liter class supersports in power delivery. Among Indian bikes, Duke 200 is one interesting bike!

@Crankpin, KTM Duke 390's in new versions have their throttle issues recrified totally.

"Bajaj Duke" its like calling Jeep Compass"Fiat Compass" or a Landrover Discovery as Tata Discovery.
The FZ1 has most of the "Scary Part" saved up at the really higher revs! Very smooth from lower down the rev-range, it can ease the rpms in as you climb higher with an easy throttle or it could throw you back if you decide to act naughty with the throttle! Not very friendly in traffic-ky situations if you ask me!
But it's that pristine build quality and the Yamaha characteristics that set the erstwhile FZ1 or now even the MT-10/ FZ10 separate. Got to ride the MT10 and boy that things just full of surprises! I have never ridden anything as perfect as that...well maybe other than a Honda CB :-P

Last edited by benbsb29 : 9th October 2017 at 10:11. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Please use the Multi-quote button to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks